• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

Hi I am new to the forum and am very excited to be involved! Wanted to know if spotters are allow use rifle scopes mounted on a gun to spot for your shooter, or will I need to bring a spotting scope. Thanks, Thoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi I am new to the forum and am very excited to be involved! Wanted to know if spotters are allow use rifle scopes mounted on a gun to spot for your shooter, or will I need to bring a spotting scope. Thanks, Thoe. </div></div>

I am curious about this also as my spoting scope does not have a reticle. Also if each class will shoot together, or if a military shooter can be squaded with open shooters.

Thanks for all the info.

Yup you should be able to use the scope on your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi I am new to the forum and am very excited to be involved! Wanted to know if spotters are allow use rifle scopes mounted on a gun to spot for your shooter, or will I need to bring a spotting scope. Thanks, Thoe. </div></div>

I am curious about this also as my spoting scope does not have a reticle. Also if each class will shoot together, or if a military shooter can be squaded with open shooters.

Thanks for all the info. </div></div>
In Joe's past matches spotters have been allowed to use a rifle scope. It is my understanding that all classes will shoot all stages but may have a different course of fire. If that's the case then I don't think it would be a problem but as socket70 stated before, Joe will have to give a definitive answer when he gets back from Montana.

Is anyone heading up from Florida or Georgia???

Trying to figure out a way to make it, long drive solo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the going rate for a Sherpa? </div></div>

I think Rockcastle is offering them for a reasonable fee. You just have to leave your guy card as a deposit.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the going rate for a Sherpa? </div></div>

LMAO!

Is this going to be a "if you can hump it, you can use it" event?

Tripods, shooting sticks, etc. Or is it going to be limited to bipods and barriers?

Thanks again for toleratingall the questions.

Yes, that's pretty much the idea.

Whatever you take with you on the first shot, you have to take with you on every shot throughout the match. So you can definitely carry tripods, shooting sticks, etc. You just have to keep them with you the whole time.

So consider you gear carefully.

Chiller will be my pack mule.

What part? East or West? If you are coming from the east side of Florida and can make it to Newport News VA I can take it the rest of the way.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone heading up from Florida or Georgia???

Trying to figure out a way to make it, long drive solo </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller 3 gueni in Thialand </div></div>

LMAO this could get really interesting...

Sherpa = Nepal rupee... Thailand... you cold get an umbrella girl for about 500 baht per day... she may not be able to carry much... nice to look at

we have to carry our pack and all gear during the stage from firing position to firing position?

I was planning on bringing a folding chair for instance to sit in while everyone else is shooting, that i have no problem carrying from stage to stage, but I don't want to keep it with me while i'm running a stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we have to carry our pack and all gear during the stage from firing position to firing position?

I was planning on bringing a folding chair for instance to sit in while everyone else is shooting, that i have no problem carrying from stage to stage, but I don't want to keep it with me while i'm running a stage. </div></div>

That is fine. You can carry a pack, chair, kitchen sink, whatever you want from stage to stage. But once your RO says "GO" and your on the clock, whatever you carry with you on that stage must be with you on all stages.

So bring a pack or chair or whatever from stage to stage.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3lio4eYXtI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3lio4eYXtI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

This has taken on a life of its own

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we have to carry our pack and all gear during the stage from firing position to firing position?

I was planning on bringing a folding chair for instance to sit in while everyone else is shooting, that i have no problem carrying from stage to stage, but I don't want to keep it with me while i'm running a stage. </div></div>

Let me guess. First Tactical Field match?

You will quickly find out what works and why a Sherpa is invaluable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will competitors be able to look at the long range targets with binoculars/spotting scopes/rifle scopes while waiting for the other competitors to shoot? (for the purpose of ranging) or will our first look be on the clock?

I ask because I assume we can't use the rifle scope (for safety reasons), and the only binos I have is a LRF, and I don't want to be DQ'd for possessing them.

thanks </div></div>

Personally I was going to run with scissors

But I am just a trouble maker.....lol

Just noticed this... sounds like the makings for a great match! Printed the app and will try to make it!

Just got out of the mountains and driving back to Georgia. I will answer all questions when I get back this weekend. To damn hard to type on my phone. We should have around 80 plus apps when I get back from emails I have been reading for the last hour.

One thing I will answer is if you are seen with any kind of range finders you will be disqualified on the spot.

I will answer all other questions this weekend.

Before anyone ask I did not hunt I took my son. He shot a big mule deer but we seen no elk.

Joe

I sent my entry form off (finally) a couple days ago. Hopefully i'm not too late, and hopefully I don't embarrass the other Manners shooters.
eek.gif

I'm really looking forward to this event. Now I just have to find a roomy, and a driver. Not sure if my poo box car would be willing to make the 8 hour drive.

Branden

anybody around ohio want to teach a new long range shooter how to properly spot before this match? I know i'll lose but it'll be fun for the experience.

We can give you some help if you come out to the next match at Thunder Valley. PM me if your interested.

Okay, guys I am going to try to answer some questions about the match. Sorry for the delay, been out of town with my son.

I don't exactly how many entries we have until tomorrow when I get all the mail sorted. I will not put a list of competitotrs up with names. There is a wide array of shooters coming from experienced to beginners. I encourage everyone to come and have fun which is the #1 priority.

Like I said before, no range finders will be permitted whatsoever. If you are seen with them then you be DQ'ed on the spot(no exceptations). It would be wise to not even bring them.

No one will be allowed to go around and look at the stages before hand. You will see the stage when you get to it. Some stages you will be allowed to look at the targets before you shoot in the briefing and some you won't.

The side match on Friday will be alot of fun. You will shoot your rifle and also one provided by one of our match sponsors.

For the ones coming in December to practice weekend. You will not be shooting from the areas that we are shooting at during the match. The practice weekend is for everyone to get some trigger time at distances and get good dope.

I am the only person that knows where the stages are going to be at this time and no one else knows the course of fire except myself. Trust me when I say my RO's will have no advantage durng this match. I treat them just like competitors when they are shooting. I have two guys that are not even shooting in the match that is helping me set targets.

As far as equipment. Bring what you have as for as a rifle and gear. You will be required to take all the equipment with you on every stage that you take your first shot with. Clothes, chairs, coolers(etc.) does not count for equipment. There will be some stages that require movement to get into position and some stages will require different firing positions. So be careful when you deicde to pack everything you have to shoot with.

Shooters that show up without a partner will be paired if they wish to. Once you register, you will be given a list of shooters that do not have a partner. You can pair up with someone off the list or we can pair you up. I don't recommend anyone shooting by themselves but you can if you wish.

You can change classes right up to the last minute before you sign in. Shooters from different classes can shoot together.

The question about accomodations for the shooter with the back problem. Please contact me and we will work something out for him. Don't worry about anyone saying anything at the match about accomodations. I will not limit the match so someone with a disability can't shoot. If anyone has a problem with it then they can talk to me not you.

Guys remeber this is a challenge not a slow fire prone shoot. You will be pushed mentally and it is desigend to be tough. It will be alot of fun and rewarding for the ones that show up with an attitude that they are there for fun and not just to win.

If anyone has anymore questions fire away and I will anser them on a daily basis. Vacation time is over and I will be around until the match.

If you are on the fence about coming, you might not get in the match. I will post an accurate count in the next day or so with how many we have. We should be around 80 plus.

As far as weather. Bring clothes for any weather conditions. The match will be shot regardless weather unless there is lighting or dangerous conditions. Snow, rain, wind, and cold are not dangerous conditions.

Joe

I will more than likely do away with the big bore class in the next two days if I don't have more registrations for it when I go through the list. We only have 2 right now. Thius will be posted tomorrow night.

Also, I highly encourage everyone to stay on site at the Rockcastle Shooting Center hotel. Their hospitality is second to none and they are offering a great rate.

If your spotter is also shooting do both scores count? Someone told me only the first shooter counts. Can you clarify this for me. If that is the case can we bring a spotter that is not shooting the match to spot for more that one of us.

Joe any issues with say You and your spotter both shooting the same rifle and spotting with a backup?

And for once I now have a perm partner for this stuff
smile.gif

No both scores do not count. You are judged only on your shots.

You can't use the same rifle as your partner.

Ok....what about if one person out of a team is shooting open and one is shooting service? Are they going to need to break up and get a partner out of the pool or will they be able to still shoot together?

Damn Sean you are getting as bad as Adam. It's in my post above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Sean you are getting as bad as Adam. It's in my post above. </div></div>

LMAO !

The scoring is explained on the website. Pretty simple you hit the target you get a point. You miss the target you don't get any points. Some targets are worth more than others. Those will be specified at the stages. Clearly states that on the website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Sean you are getting as bad as Adam. It's in my post above. </div></div>

lol that hurts Joe.

And reading ability FTW. I'm just gonna go sit in the corner with the retard hat on for awhile.

* 8.1 Scoring per stage will be based on the number of hits made by competitor.
* 8.2 Steel targets will require one hit to neutralize unless otherwise specified in the stage description.
* 8.3 Paper targets may require more than one hit to neutralize but if so, this will be specified in the stage description.
* 8.4 Knock-down or popper targets must fall to count as a hit.
* 8.5 All targets will be valued at one point for neutralization unless otherwise specified in the stage description.
* 8.6 Certain stages will have an opportunity to earn bonus points by hitting a target with the first round fired at it. This will be specified in the stage description.
* 8.7 Certain stages will have "no-shoot" or "hostage" targets. If the competitor hits a no-shoot target they will be assessed a -2 point penalty from their overall score for each hit on the no-shoot.
* 8.8 A maximum time will be established for each stage and will be specified in the stage description.

Ok. So Is time factored into it or is it all based on the max time in 8.8. Do you take multiple shots until you hit?

You can shoot as much as you want in the alloted time for the stage as long as you don't go over the max rounds for that stage. Example: you have 9 targets and 5 minutes to shoot the stgae, the stage briefing may state that you can only shoot 15 rounds or they may not be a limit on that stage.

if multiple hits are required should a shooter think about a simi-rig or is this a bolt gun game?

Do you and your partner shoot the stage at the same time or does the spotter get the advantage of seeing the stage before he shoots it?

We have 88 registered shooters as of today. More apps are supposed to be on the way.

I have people registered that their partner's registration has not been received yet.

All registered shooters should have gotten an email conformation if it was on the form. I just sent out the last confirmations.

Everyone might want to check with their partner and make sure that they have a confirmation.

ALSO, THE HEAVY CLASS HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO NO INTEREST IN IT WE ONLY HAD 2 SHOOTERS SIGN UP FOR IT

thanks for the answers Joe

One more question: will the max round count for any stage exceed 20 rnds?

No, but there are 2 stages that have no limit on it. I will put it this way, if you have to shoot more than 20 rounds on a stage then you need you are prob ably out of time by then.

Any idea on what the logical max round count for the match alone will be? Will there be time after completing the shots to pickup my brass, or is it a shoot, move to the next position, and shoot again type of deal?

Got my confirmation tonight, i'm good to go! Very excited now!

Branden

I would bring around 150rnds, but then again I always like to leave with extra ammo. On some stages you may be able to pick up your brass, but dont expect to get every piece back. We have to push a lot of shooters through every event each day, so time is a concern.

Chiller- the split between classes is kind of close, I will try and get a better answer for you.