• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Man Facing Jail Time for Protecting His Property

G

Jawbreaker Justice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McKay was at home celebrating his 29th birthday with his family when he heard someone outside breaking into his truck. While his wife called police, McKay confronted the would-be robber, who happened to be a druggie known in the neighborhood for carrying a knife.

McKay caught the robber, foiled the crime and — as an added bonus — broke the druggie’s jaw during their scuffle. It’s what I like to call “good news all around.”

“I was just defending my property and home,” McKay told The [Lynn] Daily Item. “I’m not going to be scared away by these little punks. This is where I live, and I’ve lived here my entire life I guess everybody else closes those doors and don’t want to confront people, but I’m not going to put up with this. I’ve got children here.”

And what is McKay’s reward for not being the guy who closes his door? For stepping up and doing the right thing?

He’s facing jail time, charged with assault and battery.

It’s not because police aren’t sure what happened. In fact, they charged the bad guy with, among other things, attempted robbery and possession of a dangerous weapon — namely a knife and a billy club.

So why did they arrest the good guy, too? I assumed it was a paperwork issue, one of those “we just have to charge McKay on a technicality, but it will all go away” kind of things.

Nope. It seems the Swampland police plan to make an example of this solid citizen.

Police Sgt. Tim Cassidy told The Daily Item that citizens should leave the protection of your property and family to the police . period. “We don’t urge anybody to (fight back),” he said. “We want them to call us.”

The message from the cops is clear: If someone wants to rob you or your wife or kids, let ’em!</div></div>

Re: Man Facing Jail Time for Protecting His Property

So my lesson here is- if someone tries to break into my house, beat them bloody... go back inside... call the cops and tell them I hear something outside, and ask if they can please check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my lesson here is- if someone tries to break into my house, beat them bloody... go back inside... call the cops and tell them I hear something outside, and ask if they can please check it out. </div></div>

Perfect!

Wow....

Sounds like the northeast is turning more into Europe everyday!

"we want you to call us"

Sheepdog? Peaceofficer?

Try fleecer and 'piece-of-you' officer. Policies like these, which seem to be becoming more and more standard practice, are the result of organizations seeking ways to protect their livelihood and collective bargaining strengths than they are in protecting citizens or even enforcing the law...

That is embarrasing even for Mass-of-two-shits. I cant imagine that it will hold up in court. Tucker, youve got good Google Fu. Can you get the phone of that Police Dept? Sounds like they could use some input from offended citizens.

Reminds me of the guy arrested for taking a baseball bat to a burglar in commiefornia ,pursued him and held him ,to be arrested on his own property,while nieghbors watched.
This was over 6 yrds past ,and ofton wondered what happened to the guy arrested for using the bat...
These kinds of scenarios really send me into deep thought.

thanks, message sent.

So this is how the police think it should go down:

Homeowner: Pardon me sir, but could you please stop swinging that knife at me? I elect to wait for the police to act on my behalf, so please swing it at them instead. They should be here in a few minutes, assuming there is nothing of higher priority going on.

Robber Druggie: Why certainly sir, I shall await for the police to arrive and act in your stead. And perchance if their priorities are too grand elsewhere, could we reschedule for next Tuesday?

If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem.

The problem is he explained he was protecting his property. He should have said he was surprised by an armed unknown individual and was afraid for his life.

If he had said he didn't like the guy and that's what he gets he would be facing worse charges.

This guy is in trouble because he didn't think before he opened his mouth. Which is funny because 90% of people in prison are in for the EXACT same reason....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem.

The problem is he explained he was protecting his property. He should have said he was surprised by an armed unknown individual and was afraid for his life.

If he had said he didn't like the guy and that's what he gets he would be facing worse charges.

This guy is in trouble because he didn't think before he opened his mouth. Which is funny because 90% of people in prison are in for the EXACT same reason.... </div></div>

^^Winner^^

Articulation is a wonderful thing folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem. The problem is he explained he was protecting his property... This guy is in trouble because he didn't think before he opened his mouth. Which is funny because 90% of people in prison are in for the EXACT same reason.... </div></div>A very good explanation!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramrod14(winkie)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So glad I live in Texas!
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem. The problem is he explained he was protecting his property... This guy is in trouble because he didn't think before he opened his mouth. Which is funny because 90% of people in prison are in for the EXACT same reason.... </div></div>A very good explanation! </div></div>

Scary though that the officer is quoted as saying "citizens should leave the protection of property and family to the police". So if a scumbag breaks into my house I shouldn't protect myself and my family? Makes me wonder if this particular officer would have charged him if he said he was afriad for his life? Sounds like no matter what a "citizen" is supposed to wait for police help in his opinion.

I love the IN castle law. Either way. "The man came at me with The knife and club, and I was in fear of my life and the lives of my family.". So I dispatched him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if a scumbag breaks into my house I shouldn't protect myself and my family?</div></div>One officer's opinion means nothing. But the law makes different presumptions inside your home than outside on your property.

I think our county prosecutor would prosecute for the same thing.

He's trying to prosecute the range owner for illegally having an automatic weapon, lost the case 3 times so now he's prosecuting the range for no permits, and a house 3 miles away with an AK round coming through the window. (House was built 79 years after the range existed)

So yeah, liberals want cops to do this job.

3 more years and I move to Texas..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem.

This guy is in trouble because he didn't think before he opened his mouth. Which is funny because 90% of people in prison are in for the EXACT same reason.... </div></div>

^^Winner^^

Articulation is a wonderful thing folks. </div></div>

Actually we're all losers because if this is the right answer then the message is "lie to the police". What if, not being a career criminal and practiced liar, the defendant slipped up under repeated questioning and admitted that he was protecting property? Why the fuck should we have to lie and risk perjury and obstruction of justice when we've done NOTHING wrong.

No, not winner, just not as much of a loser which is still shit!

Cant be stressed enough.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wXkI4t7nuc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wXkI4t7nuc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he was checking out a suspicious noise, and was confronted with an armed robber he could have broken his jaw and gutted the guy. That's not the problem.

^^Winner^^

Articulation is a wonderful thing folks. </div></div>

Actually we're all losers because if this is the right answer then the message is "lie to the police". What if, not being a career criminal and practiced liar, the defendant slipped up under repeated questioning and admitted that he was protecting property? Why the fuck should we have to lie and risk perjury and obstruction of justice when we've done NOTHING wrong.

No, not winner, just not as much of a loser which is still shit! </div></div>

Not much I agree with event horizon but he is dead on here. PROPS TO YOU!

Welcome to Canada, ya'll... hope you enjoy your stay. Don't forget to close the gate, after going through it.

No one said you had to lie to the police, prosecutors or anyone else. Articulation as I'm sure you know if conveying what you did but more importantly WHY you did it.

Guy was at home, heard some sort of disturbance in his driveway. Upon going outside to investigate it, he was confronted by a known drug addict who was known to carry weapons and was armed at the time. Guy fearing for his life and the lives of his loved ones inside took appropriate action and defended himself, NOT property.

Its quite simple and it helps to avoid headaches. As far as the cop telling the public that people shouldn't take action to defend their family, that is bullshit. Most cops I know would never say something like that. If your life or the one of a loved one is in danger, you do what you have to do. That goes without saying.

Event is right, the majority of Good people have no problem talking to the police, and telling them what transpired, but after repeated asking and manipulation by trained law enforcement their words will be used against them. It's sad that Logic and Reason are no longer tools of this country.

Semantics: a tool used by liberals, and police, to view the world around themselves, but never to be used inwardly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one said you had to lie to the police, prosecutors or anyone else. Articulation as I'm sure you know if conveying what you did but more importantly WHY you did it.

Guy was at home, heard some sort of disturbance in his driveway. Upon going outside to investigate it, he was confronted by a known drug addict who was known to carry weapons and was armed at the time. Guy fearing for his life and the lives of his loved ones inside took appropriate action and defended himself, NOT property.

Its quite simple and it helps to avoid headaches. As far as the cop telling the public that people shouldn't take action to defend their family, that is bullshit. Most cops I know would never say something like that. If your life or the one of a loved one is in danger, you do what you have to do. That goes without saying. </div></div>

It sucks but this is the truth. There is nothing wrong with saying "I was in fear for my life and the safety of my family and will only speak after consulting with my attorney".

The fact is there are times when people have to accept the fact that they may be taking a ride downtown, regardless of the righteousness of their actions. The "Why" of it may be damning if said even inadvertently, hence the ride in the back seat. That trip does not mean a conviction. It sucks but there is no changing it.

In a case like this, the order of calls is up to you but no later than call #2 or #3 should be to a lawyer. Keep your mouth shut about what you did until then. Afterward, stay on message and don't forget your rights. Don't let fear of a night in jail cause you to spend tens of thousands of dollars and years in prison.

Unfortunately we live in a day and age where we have great cops, simple jack cops and everything in between. Exercise your own discretion but it never hurts to play your hand close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually we're all losers because if this is the right answer then the message is "lie to the police"... Why the fuck should we have to lie and risk perjury and obstruction of justice when we've done NOTHING wrong.</div></div>No one is telling people to lie to the police. The message is: Know the law.

Because the truth is that if you violate the law you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> done something wrong, and whining that whatever it was should not be against the law is the mark of a loser.

There are many people for whom the modern world has become too complex a place. Many of them are in jail. None of them can continue to be victims unless they blame the system for their own incompetence.

Shoot them "after he comes at you and threatens to kill you". Too easy....I was scared for my life. It shouldn't have to be like that though. I have a pro-boxer buddy who is strong as he looks. He was leaving work one night and two men said give me your laptop. All they had he said was a teeny knife. He told them if you can take it from me you can have it. He beat one of them so bad they had to go to the hospital. Deviated septum, broke jaw, missing teeth, and a broke rib. The other one fled when the action started. He received no criminal prosecution...thank god

The problem is that many believe protecting ones property should NOT be against the law as some of you seem to think it should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually we're all losers because if this is the right answer then the message is "lie to the police"... Why the fuck should we have to lie and risk perjury and obstruction of justice when we've done NOTHING wrong.</div></div>No one is telling people to lie to the police. The message is: Know the law.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Because the truth is that if you violate the law you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> done something wrong</span>, and whining that whatever it was should not be against the law is the mark of a loser.
</div></div>

Bad laws should be broken. Protecting ones property and then being prosecuted for it is such an instance.

Keep towing that line though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is that many believe protecting ones property should NOT be against the law as some of you seem to think it should be.</div></div>Protecting one's property is <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> against the law. It never has been. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad laws should be broken. Protecting ones property and then being prosecuted for it is such an instance. Keep towing that line though. </div></div>He wasn't prosecuted for protecting his property.

There is no constitutional right to use excessive force. There never has been.

Has anyone else noticed the trend that people with no open-hand skills often believe that they have a God-given right to wail on someone else simply because he happens to be located on private property?

In general, one is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another person, when and to the extent that one reasonably believes such force is necessary to defend oneself or another from the other person’s imminent use of unlawful force.

But the use of force, any force, is always subject to reasonable limitations: The force permitted is limited to the amount you reasonably believe is necessary to repel the attack or to protect yourself from harm (or to affect arrest). If you exceed this theoretical amount of force, your act is criminal to the extent it is unreasonable. This is true regardless of whether your use of force was otherwise legal.

This kind of reasonableness is one of the purposes of having a Constitution in the first place. Rather than whining about the requirement that we be responsible actors, I suggest we use our time to develop the skills and judgment becessary to be resonsible citizens of a constitutional democracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually we're all losers because if this is the right answer then the message is "lie to the police"... Why the fuck should we have to lie and risk perjury and obstruction of justice when we've done NOTHING wrong.</div></div>No one is telling people to lie to the police. The message is: Know the law.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Because the truth is that if you violate the law you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> done something wrong, and whining that whatever it was should not be against the law is the mark of a loser. </span>There are many people for whom the modern world has become too complex a place. Many of them are in jail. None of them can continue to be victims unless they blame the system for their own incompetence. </div></div>

I'm going to be nice and assume you were drunk when you posted this.

I recently had a dayligh theft on my project and caught the guy. In fear of some sort of legal bs I didn't put hands on him and he cut loose. Anyway when the officer arrived and took my statement he asked why if we had him outnumbered the guy wasn't still here. Told him and he was like man y'all could have held him down and kicked the shot out of him until I arrived and you wouldnt have broken any laws.

I guess you take the same situation here in tx and the guy could have shot the burgled a couple of times and still make it to dinner with no real reprocusions other than the weapon being taken for the investigation.

God bless Texas!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Because the truth is that if you violate the law you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> done something wrong, and whining that whatever it was should not be against the law is the mark of a loser. </span>There are many people for whom the modern world has become too complex a place. Many of them are in jail. None of them can continue to be victims unless they blame the system for their own incompetence. </div></div>I'm going to be nice and assume you were drunk when you posted this. </div></div>LOL! I wish I had been. There are times when I, too, wish that the real world was different than the way it is and more like the way I want it to be. But one of the central tenets of democracy is compromise, and I would rather live in a society run by laws than run by men who would rather ignore them.

The original post was about a man who bumped into the reality of the system and discovered a world the way it is and not the world he wanted to be living in. I am arguing that his lesson should be a leason to all of us to learn what we can and and can't do, and to develop the knowledge and skills required by our society or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

It is not against the law to use force. It is not against the law to protect your property. But being ignorant is always the first step toward serious trouble, whether it be at the hand of a criminal or at the hand of a system that will treat you like one if you violate its rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Has anyone else noticed the trend that people with no open-hand skills often believe that they have a God-given right to wail on someone else simply because he happens to be located on private property?

In general, one is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another person, when and to the extent that one reasonably believes such force is necessary to defend oneself or another from the other person’s imminent use of unlawful force.

But the use of force, any force, is always subject to reasonable limitations: The force permitted is limited to the amount you reasonably believe is necessary to repel the attack or to protect yourself from harm (or to affect arrest). If you exceed this theoretical amount of force, your act is criminal to the extent it is unreasonable. This is true regardless of whether your use of force was otherwise legal.
</div></div>

Actually well spoken (Typed).

One thing we do train with, if we ae using the sticks and disarmed a guy, we can no longer use our sticks - it's embedded in the training and you lose points or (Lack of points to pass a test).

For my black belt test I disarmed a friend who happened to be working as my oppoenent on my test. I said "Bang".

Holy crap that was the wrong thing to say - Sensei was in my face. It was meant as a joke but it was perceived as excessive force.

There is always the reasponable person clause, what would a reasonable person do in the same situation?

Maybe breaking someone's jaw is excessive but I wasn't there.

If it were me his wrist might be broken from excessive pressure but the response would be:

"Sir, he failed to listen to my command, his injuries are a result of his failure to listen to my command"...(Used to work in the PD anyway)...

I know our prosecutor would prosecute the OP in the story, no doubt in my mind..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It sucks but this is the truth. There is nothing wrong with saying "I was in fear for my life and the safety of my family and will only speak after consulting with my attorney".

The fact is there are times when people have to accept the fact that they may be taking a ride downtown, regardless of the righteousness of their actions. The "Why" of it may be damning if said even inadvertently, hence the ride in the back seat. That trip does not mean a conviction. It sucks but there is no changing it.

In a case like this, the order of calls is up to you but no later than call #2 or #3 should be to a lawyer. Keep your mouth shut about what you did until then. Afterward, stay on message and don't forget your rights. Don't let fear of a night in jail cause you to spend tens of thousands of dollars and years in prison.

</div></div>

That too is well spoken and I wish all of our LE guys would understand, it's not YOU, it's the prosecutor behind you that will take what we say to you and bend and contort it to get his numbers jacked up higher with ill regard to the reality of life.

We have such a prosecutor, keeps everyone in fear. I've seen women that were KNOWN to be abused go to prison for 1st deg murder/death row for defending against an attack.
I've seen drug dealers walk free 6, 7,8 times in a row because nobody wants to keep doing the paperwork.

Child molestation? usually 4 years per count, out in 2 with good behavior.

The system sucks but as Dirty Harry said. "Until someone comes along with something that works better it's all we have"...

So you LE guys understand if we say "5th amendment"...

Of course after watching First 48 - 90% of those people speak and convict themselves (THey were guilty)....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Because the truth is that if you violate the law you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> done something wrong, and whining that whatever it was should not be against the law is the mark of a loser. </span>There are many people for whom the modern world has become too complex a place. Many of them are in jail. None of them can continue to be victims unless they blame the system for their own incompetence. </div></div>I'm going to be nice and assume you were drunk when you posted this. </div></div>LOL! I wish I had been. There are times when I, too, wish that the real world was different than the way it is and more like the way I want it to be. But one of the central tenets of democracy is compromise, and I would rather live in a society run by laws than run by men who would rather ignore them.</div></div>

An irrelevant point but a nice red herring. No on is arguing for chaos. BUt you seem to think that it's either all in or all out. It isn't. Every law should be open to debate and revevaluation and wanting to do so doesn't make one a whiner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original post was about a man who bumped into the reality of the system and discovered a world the way it is and not the world he wanted to be living in. I am arguing that his lesson should be a leason to all of us to learn what we can and and can't do, and to develop the knowledge and skills required by our society or be prepared to suffer the consequences.</div></div>

Nope. THe post was about a man who defended his proprety and in so doing he had to defend himself against a person known to be armed. The authorities then decided to press charges with the explanation that they'd rather people not try ANY attempt - reasonable or otherwise - to defend themselves or their property but to call the police. I can see where if a police officer was so self-interested that this scenario would work well for him but he's meant to be a public servant and he's clearly not serving the public interest here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not against the law to use force. It is not against the law to protect your property. But being ignorant is always the first step toward serious trouble, whether it be at the hand of a criminal or at the hand of a system that will treat you like one if you violate its rules. </div></div>

A truism but missing the point here. The authorities have the ability and responsibility to determine whether the public good has been violated and whether it's in the interest of the public good prosecute. In this case, to ANY reasonably minded public servant who is actually vested in serving and protecting, the public good is NOT being served by prosecuting. YOu seem to think the man dashed out and started pounding on this junkie because he was on his driveway. The junkie was in the process of breaking into his vehicle...!

The point here is that the police and the authorities are more and more interested in preventing citizens from actualy being active in anyway regarding defending themselve from crime beyond simply being eyes and ears for them.

THIS is why I believe not a single chief of police in any major city has ever (to my knowledge) actively sought to promote citizens being armed. NOt a single high ranking police figure has EVER come out and said 'the lunatic who went on a shooting spree could have been stopped sooner if more citizens were trained in and armed with, firearms".

Looking at the behaviour and the pattern of prosecutions, it seems the authorities are simply protecting their 'turf' and would rather have people fearful of both criminals and prosecution if they do anything other than call the police.

It's one way to protect your pension I suppose.

The original article was a media report: Don't take it at face value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The authorities then decided to press charges with the explanation that they'd rather people not try ANY attempt - reasonable or otherwise - to defend themselves or their property but to call the police.</div></div>But it's not their call: Either the elements of a crime are met, or they are not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point here is that the police and the authorities are more and more interested in preventing citizens from actualy being active in anyway regarding defending themselve from crime beyond simply being eyes and ears for them.</div></div>That's not their call, either. An arrest is only one police officer's opinion of whether a crime has been committed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the behaviour and the pattern of prosecutions, it seems the authorities are simply protecting their 'turf' and would rather have people fearful of both criminals and prosecution if they do anything other than call the police. It's one way to protect your pension I suppose. </div></div>It's not a conspiracy, it's just a system full of third-rate people with fourth-rate problem solving skills.

And my pension is well protected regardless, whether it be because of criminals, or fools.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That too is well spoken and I wish all of our LE guys would understand, it's not YOU, it's the prosecutor behind you that will take what we say to you and bend and contort it to get his numbers jacked up higher with ill regard to the reality of life.

We have such a prosecutor, keeps everyone in fear. I've seen women that were KNOWN to be abused go to prison for 1st deg murder/death row for defending against an attack.
I've seen drug dealers walk free 6, 7,8 times in a row because nobody wants to keep doing the paperwork.
</div></div>

I have been across the table from Boughton when he said "The tax payers can't be the only victims. Someone has to pay." when he knew the defendant was innocent but the real party responsible was unable to pay and sitting in County. The defendant represented themselves in court and even the Judge saw the reality and asked Boughton why the real responsible party was not being brought up on charges. The defendant won their case...

Boughton and Hauge and both a waste of tax dollars and oxygen. Their only drive is to create funding and NOT the actual pursuit of justice. They plea bargain anything and everything to get them in and out like cattle. They're useless...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the behaviour and the pattern of prosecutions, it seems the authorities are simply protecting their 'turf' and would rather have people fearful of both criminals and prosecution if they do anything other than call the police.</div></div>

Ding ding... we have a winner...

That is exactly what is it about from legislation (incredibly stupid laws, details and arbitrary rules which can be twisted and used and abused as the powers see fit) to system dogs all the way to average joe being dumbed down to the lemming level of intelligence.

It aint nothing new or country specific its a worldwide trend and there are some who recognize it now (there were a few warning us of it 50 and more years ago) and there are some who won't see it until they get bitten in the ass and probably some won't see the light even then...

It really doesn't matter if the entire story is 100% correct a mere thought of not defending ones property (let alone family "health") with whatever means necessary or deemed fit atm is something i find sickening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original article was a media report: Don't take it at face value.</div></div>

Why not, you did?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The authorities then decided to press charges with the explanation that they'd rather people not try ANY attempt - reasonable or otherwise - to defend themselves or their property but to call the police.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But it's not their call: Either the elements of a crime are met, or they are not. </div></div>

I said authorities. I recognize it's not all down to the police but I don't see the police doing anything to help in this regards. I don't see 'I was just doing what I was ordered' as being a noble defense. Maybe you do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point here is that the police and the authorities are more and more interested in preventing citizens from actualy being active in anyway regarding defending themselve from crime beyond simply being eyes and ears for them.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's not their call, either. An arrest is only one police officer's opinion of whether a crime has been committed.</div></div>

True, but the pattern is becoming very clear. Again, I don't see anyone in uniform saying 'this has got to stop, it's not making sense.'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the behaviour and the pattern of prosecutions, it seems the authorities are simply protecting their 'turf' and would rather have people fearful of both criminals and prosecution if they do anything other than call the police. It's one way to protect your pension I suppose. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a conspiracy, it's just a system full of third-rate people with fourth-rate problem solving skills.</div></div>

I see, so the police are incompetent? Where does that leave us - the citizens? It leaves us with having to protect ourselves against criminals and police alike. One is a malfeasant and the other is a dimwit in a uniform with more power over us then he is entitled to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And my pension is well protected regardless, whether it be because of criminals, or fools.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Don't be so sure, there's a bankruptcy of a city or state coming to you soon thanks to the blackmail antics of public unions...