• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners MCS-T or Mcmillan HTG

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
Since I have already made my decision and have the stocks ordered and at the gunsmith this is kind of a moot point but i thought it would be interesting to get kind of a poll. I'm having two rifles built. Idea is a long range hunting rifle that could double as a comp rifle but they will mostly serve as hunting rifles in every style from spot and stalk to tree stand. Wild hog to Elk and moose. One is a 20" m24 profile 308 on a stiller tac 30, the other is a 26" rem varmint contour in 300wm on a rem 700 that has been worked over. Mcmillan HTG or Manners MCS-T or any other that you can think of that fit this category what would you pick?

I would go with the Manners Mcs T or one of the new elite hunter stocks. I have bought two stocks from Manners and they are top notch and couldn't have any better CS. Makes it hard for me to go to a different company when Manners take care of you so well IMHO.

Walter

I went with the Manners T stock on my .260 Rem, 700 build. I like it very much, the extra comb height sets my eye right behind the scope. I held some rifles with the HTG before making my decision and felt that the Manners extra comb height was better for me. Another option is the HTG adjustable, but that adds more weight.

The one thing about the Manners that takes some getting used to is that it is a very vertical stock, feels like it is extra sensitive to cant because it is set up as a neutral stock and has the high comb.

I'm looking at building another .260 Rem with an M70 action for hunting. I would not hesitate to use the T stock again, but I'm pretty interested in Precision Stock Works, Rifleman Stock. Higher comb like the Manners, but it has a right handed palm swell. Hill Country Rifles is a good operation and they have been building a lot of rifles with this stock and are getting great feedback.

http://www.precisionstockworks.com

Good thread, think the T stock and HTG are great all around stocks, interested in what others think.

I like the McMillan A1-3 my self. That said I just ordered a MSC-T, It will be my first Manners Stock.

Higher comb on the Manners is definitely a good thing. I have an HTG and the Manners is better to get behind. The HTG has to be built up to make it comfortable in the comb area.

I have and adjustable HTG on my 300WM and the little bit of added weight is nice. It's my long range/hunting rifle and I can shoot it all day without getting beat up. A lighter stock on a 300 would be more than I'd like to shoot for fun.

I own both of those stocks. At first I decided on Manners MCS-T, but I never quit questioning my decision. So the next one I ordered a MCM HTG. Then on the 3rd,I ordered Manners MCS-T because I liked the Manners better.

I have owned both and prefer the HTG. The Manners was well thought out and executed and I did like the higher comb, but I have used the HTG for several years and may be biased. RobO is right in having to build up the comb on the HTG, but I like having a stock pack. But I may have another Manners T for a .223 I like shooting.

Looks like my preference is not rock solid, doesn't it. Either stock will probably please you as both are topshelf products.

I've had both and agree with the others about the benefits of the increased height of the Manners comb.

Don't own a Manners but have 3 HTGs and the only thing I don't like is the low comb height.

Manners T-A, adjustable comb. Best of all aspects in the "hunting style" stocks with the KMW loggerhead hardware. Win-Win!

I like them both but am a McMillan fan. Between these two it a dodge vs ford vs Chevy thing. Either brand is fantastic and you can't go wrong with options and variety for both. My opinion in the end is try to get behind as many as you can and see what fits your body.

Gotta run stock packs on my HTGs to get my . As a result, all my HTGs are headed to the classifieds. But I'm replacing with other McMillans. Tom Manners seriously great sticks. No flies on either.

Huntfish, what mcmillan are you replacing your HTGs with?

I have an A1-3 sitting on my workbench. Never shot one. Not sure if I'll run it or not. I really like the wide flat fore on the A1-3. And the comb is certainly higher. But my favorite feeling "sporter" McM, as opposed to vertical grip, is the Remington Hunter. Truth be told, I don't really know if the comb is that much higher, if at all, on the Remington Hunter, than the HTG. But just seems to fit.

Last edited:
I apologize for bringing this thread back up, but needed to ask a question. On this more "traditional" style stock, how are the ergonomics in the prone position? Does it fatigue your hand when compared to sat a McM A5 or Manners T4 with the more vertical grip? I prefer the look on the HTG stock but want to be sure that is isn't going to be uncomfortable! Thanks

Nope works fine for me.

I have owned 1 McM stock and 3 Manners stocks. Needless to say, I will only own Manners from now on. I will be building a new competition rifle in a couple of months, and it will be sporting a MCS-T4A. Once you go Manners, you won't even have to bother with the "I wonder if I made the right decision"...

Ergonomics, rigidity, and customer service are super important to me... that's why I go with Manners!!

DK

I used to own an HTG. While I loved the stock, the comb was way too low for me.

I recently got a new McM that I love. The Adjustable Tactical Hunter. It feels like an A1-3 but with the adjustable comb. I really like the beefier front end as compared to the HTG. It actually weighs the exact same amount as my HTG with sniper fill did, right at 2.5 lbs, so its not crazy heavy. I have a Manners EH4 on order for a dedicated light weight suppressed hunting rig, looking forward to my first Manners to compare with the McM.

View of the thicker forearm.

I have tried on the Manners and picked the T. I have a A1-3 and love it. The grip texture might be a bit lacking for a hunting rig. I also have a couple HS Varmint / 5r / pss types. I find these to be excellent to get behind when not thinking, just getting to the shot.

I have tried on the Manners and picked the T. I have a A1-3 and love it. The grip texture might be a bit lacking for a hunting rig. I also have a couple HS Varmint / 5r / pss types. I find these to be excellent to get behind when not thinking, just getting to the shot.

One of the best posts on stocks I've read all year. Hats off for you, Sir!

I used to own an HTG. While I loved the stock, the comb was way too low for me.

I recently got a new McM that I love. The Adjustable Tactical Hunter. It feels like an A1-3 but with the adjustable comb. I really like the beefier front end as compared to the HTG. It actually weighs the exact same amount as my HTG with sniper fill did, right at 2.5 lbs, so its not crazy heavy. I have a Manners EH4 on order for a dedicated light weight suppressed hunting rig, looking forward to my first Manners to compare with the McM.

Have been looking around on McM's website for this stock and cannot find it, are you sure it is called the "Adjustable Tactical Hunter?" Would love some more specific information to hunt it down.

Thanks

I really like the A1-3. The Manners T's I have are OK, but its just not the same. I wish McMillan wouldn't have broke the A1-3 mold for M70's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395369641.211508.jpg
Here's my 300 win mag

Have owned both Manners and McMillan, however no MCS-T (was a T4). Manners has excellent customer service as stated above. Have had both the McM HTG and A1-3. You will need to build up the comb for sure on the HTG, and I still had to run a stock pack on the A1-3.

That being said (and I know I will get "booed" for this), but I am still an McM fanboy. However, I have not purchased an McM product in the last 3 years, so hopefully everything is still good over there.

Have owned both Manners and McMillan, however no MCS-T (was a T4). Manners has excellent customer service as stated above. Have had both the McM HTG and A1-3. You will need to build up the comb for sure on the HTG, and I still had to run a stock pack on the A1-3.

That being said (and I know I will get "booed" for this), but I am still an McM fanboy. However, I have not purchased an McM product in the last 3 years, so hopefully everything is still good over there.

No booing from me, I prefer McMillan as well.

Have been looking around on McM's website for this stock and cannot find it, are you sure it is called the "Adjustable Tactical Hunter?" Would love some more specific information to hunt it down.

Thanks

Yep, its called the Adj. Tactical Hunter. For some reason, they do not list it in their regular line up of stocks, but they do build them.

It is shown here (non-adjustable model) with their Tactical Hunter custom rifle.

Custom Hunting Rifle - McMillan Tactical Hunter

The adjustable version is discussed below in this article.

McMillan Tactical Hunter Dreamboat Edition: IT EXISTS! | The Truth About Guns

Hope that helps.

Don't forget McMillan's Game Scout. A3 rear end, and a Rem. Classic forend. Makes for a nice crossover stock, IMHO. But you will need to address comb height when running a canted rail & large obj. optic. I added a Karsten's cheekpiece to mine and dig it...