• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MANNERS vs MCMILLAN vs AICS stocks

Youngjoonni

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Sunny SoCal
I don't know where to go with my Remington 700 .308 5R build in regards to stock. There are members here that have experienced all three. It would be great to get some feedback on what they liked/disliked about them.

1. They are all great stocks from what I gather. So whichever one I select, I will still be a winner.

2. As a former Marine, I can carry gear regardless of weight for the occasional hunting trips I plan on taking.

3. Cost and time is not an issue. I will work and save to earn what is needed purchase what I want.

4. I plan on trying out some competitions.

So, what are the pro's and con's of each stock in terms of comfort and design. It's the little details that really gets me.

Texture, ergonomics, first impressions, feedback and lastly (though it is the least of my criterias) aesthetics. Least because I firmly believe that form follows function.

And to all those that say "use the search engine", I have and still do on a daily basis. Based on those threads, my first choice was an A4/A5. Then I switched to the AICS. But since Manners got added into the equation, I wanted some fresh input. The Manners GP has been done for a little while now so some first hand experience is what I am looking for.

Re: MANNERS vs MCMILLAN vs AICS stocks

To be completely honest, you really just need to get your hands on them. I was dead set on an AICS until I got behind one. Its a great stock and has die hard followers, but the thumbhole grip and square forend wasnt for me.

My vote is for whatever manners fits you the best. Tougher than nails and varied designs for multiple applications or preference. Plus the mini-chassis sealed the deal for me. All the benifits of the AICS in lighter package. After handling all of the brands you mentioned, I decided on the T2A with the mini-chassis. Now I just need to save the pennies...

Depending on where in Cali you are, just head to a match or link up with some members here, thats what I did. I regularly see threads about monthly norcal precision matches. Prolly a fun day and worth a drive to at least get your hands on a future 500-1k dollar purchase.

Zeroed1983,

I do plan on trying to get first hand experience behind one or all. How I'm going to do that is what I am working on.

AICS seems to get a love or hate response. That is good because it will be really apparent whether or not to get one.

Manners is the wild card I am unsure about. Any product that draws and converts McMillan users definately needs to be looked at carefully. I would really like to know what is it about Manners that convinces people to sell their stock and switch.

I also do agree with you that the mini-chasis system really appeals to me.

Anyone know the stock/system weights from Manners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Youngjoonni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyone know the stock/system weights from Manners? </div></div>

The weights are listed in the descriptions of each stock. The MCS-DBM mini chassis system adds .62 lbs.
http://mannersstocks.com/Tactical.html

I felt an AICS and was instantly apposed to them. Its a great stock, but doesn't fit me. Falls into the same category as Glocks for me.

I love mcmillan and have used a good bit of their products. Customer service is top notch and the warranty cannot be beat.

Never used a manners, but I already know the next stock I buy will be one.

I honestly believe that different shooters will prefer different stocks. Weights, Grips, Shapes Etc...

That being said I would always put a Manners over a MCM when it comes down to craftsmanship.

You cant beat the T4A or T5A from Manners.

Just my $0.02.

AICS all the way. I read about the love or hate relationship of the aics stocks and i just got a 2.0 aics and all i can say is i love it in every aspect get yourself a AICS and dont look back.

I got behind an AICS, and din't like the grip at all. If the thumbhole was a bit bigger I would possibly look at it again. I've had a couple McMillans, and liked what they had other than the adjustment systems on the cheek pieces but that has since been taken care of. Anymore I have been getting more Manners stocks. I find that on average they tend to be lighter, and stiffer. I really like the SL for general purpose rifles, and have a T2A on order that should be here next week.

I am in the hate category for the AI stocks. Don't like thumbholes or the feel of the stock. They are quality made but not for me.

McMillan and Manners are both excellent. Wouldn't hesitate to use either. Have 2 or each now and have had others. I really like the Manners T3 and the McMillan HTG. Personal preference. I know alot of people like the more vertical grip of the A2/A3/A5s or T2/T4s but I prefer the more standard stock feel. I really love my Manners T3s though. They have the wider forend like the T2/T4 but with the grip area like the T.

Best advice is to get the stocks in your hands before buying so you know if they are right for you.

You are correct, all 3 are a great choice and you'll be good to go with whatever you pick.

I have an AICS 2.0 right now. I'm going to be selling it to get a Manners T4A. My main reasons for getting the AICS was b/c of the drop in capabilities for my 700. It also gave me DBM in a chassis/stock that would adjust appropriately and could fold in half to fit in my car. I was also rearranging a small gun safe and with the stock folded, it fit easier/better.

Now with more shooting under my belt, subscribing to the online training, I realize that this chassis doesn't really fit me and what I'm looking to do. I don't use the thumb hole on the chassis when I'm shooting and that is also another major benefit of the AICS. I also don't have the storage constraint (car or safe) anymore so that removed that need. I'm also having a new rifle built up and it was time to evaluate what I needed again.

The AICS is a great chassis as you know. It is a heavy SOB but guys shoot them in matches all the time. I think like everyone else has mentioned, it's going to come down to what you like the best. Getting your hands on one is going to be a great option.

Now, my 2 cents on the Manners vs. McMillan. Both are excellent stocks again. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, keep in mind I don't have one of these yet.</span>

GAP uses both an A5 on the Crusader and a T4A on the Hospitaller. That should tell you these are both solid.

The Manners is described as a "stronger" stock. This is probably not a huge decision point but both could be used to jack your jeep up to change a tire. They're both solid.

The McMillan can use the KMW (Terry Cross) hardware if you're going to use the adjustable cheekpiece. It can be done if you call them up (or so I have read). This is standard on the Manners. Again, my .02 if you're going with an adjustable cheek piece, this is a must!

Manners is a 13-14 week wait and McMillan is supposedly 20-22. YMMV here but as I understand it, you can get the Manners faster.

The T4A has some different features that some argue make it easier to ride in bags due to it's design. It has a more pronounced hook and also has a higher comb if I understand correctly.

Recently I've read a lot of threads complaining about the finish on the McMillan's being crappy and rushed looking. YMMV there.

The guys at Manners are damn nice. I talked to one of them the other day and customer service is top notch there. They offered to mail me a stock to check out if that would help me evaluate their product. Helluva nice guy. I hear McMillan's CS is good as well.

Hopefully I've rambled on enough with what I've learned here that it might help you a little bit. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Check out the AICS. If you fall in love with it, you won't have a problem going that route. IF you don't like the entire chassis but love the thumbhole, check out the Manners T5.

Best of luck!

I have McM A5 and HTG and Manners T4A and T2A and T and I've shot the AICS quite a bit. I've also got a bunch or the new McM A3/5s on order.

Some basics -

1) Very difficult to run the bolt on any thumbhole as fast as you can with a standard style grip. Gotta keep pullin your thumb outa the hole. Plus it seems that the thumbhole tends to cause the shooter to cant a little more than the std grips.

2) We have found that a properly done pillar/glass bedding is a bit better than any of the chassis system setups (haven't tried Tom's mini chassis yet) but a chassis can be skim bedded to the same accuracy.

3) Adj cheek is a must to really get the fit right and Terry's KMW is the ONLY way to go. Plus to the Manners adj cheek which is already slotted so that you can pull your bolt w/o removing the cheek as you have to do on the McM.

4) Manners T4A rides the rear bag better due to flat behind the hook. My personal pick as far as style goes is the butt hook. Just works better for me from any position.

5) Manners T is superior to HTG due to more vertical grip, ambi palm swell and the biggest difference is the higher comb on the non adj. Plus you can get the KMW adj system with the T and it will not fit in the HTG.

Hope this helps.

Manners will take care of you. I love my T4A. I have also shot McMillan HTGs, they are also nice stocks. However I like my T4A a lot more. I really want to try a AICS but want to get behind one before sinking $800-1000 into one.

MANNERS vs MCMILLAN vs AICS stocks

Which one is better than the other? How long is a piece of string? A great stock for you is the one that fits, and allows you to get the most out of your shooting ability.

Sometimes that means a Manners (or McMillan or AICS), sometimes not. What fits you is subjective. All three make quality stocks, that could last you a lifetime.

The good news is, if you buy one of the three listed, and don't like it, you will lose very little when you sell it and buy one of the others.

In my view the "perfect" rifle stock has not been invented yet:

What I'm waiting for is the tactical rifle that weighs 5 lbs when carried, and 15 lbs when shot......

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What I'm waiting for is the tactical rifle that weighs 5 lbs when carried, and 15 lbs when shot......

Bob </div></div>

Ha! +1, Great idea Bob!

I have used all 3.

For fiberglass I like Manners and I have two. Awesome customer service and Tom is a good man.

I also have several AI rifles and two short action AICS folders. I have never felt like I was working the bolt that slow. If I need to work a bolt that fast, there is always a semi-auto.

I agree with several of the above.

Any of the stocks you list will serve you very well. THE most important thing you can do is racoon them and see which one is the best for YOUR physical needs, shooting style and tastes. We have literally had twins that hated the way each others stocks felt so it is very personal. Remember, the stock is the interface between you and the real rifle. It is THE thing that you touch, steer and manipulate to control the bullet direction. Depending on your particular mission or use, it may also be the thing that you are having to stay wrapped around for many minutes or a few hours while trying to stay comfortable and minimize your eye and muscle strain. Again, all the makers on your list can accomplish this but all may not be for YOU.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Very difficult to run the bolt on any thumbhole as fast as you can with a standard style grip. Gotta keep pullin your thumb outa the hole. Plus it seems that the thumbhole tends to cause the shooter to cant a little more than the std grips.
</div></div>

I would have agreed with this statement about 8-9 years ago. When I went to an AICS 1.5 for the first time, I just knew I had kissed any future rapid bolt manipulation goodbye. After about 2 months on the stock, all of my fears ( and they were really, really biased fears) were erased. I shot some of the fastest and most accurate rapid fire events I ever shot while using that stock.

Since that day, I realized that it was simply a matter of training with the equipment. Running 3 different stocks is probably not conducive to developing your best form with any of them but acclimating to one will certainly move you into the comfort zone quickly. I have had thumbhole stocked rifles issued to officers that pleaded for their old stocks back and then 2 days into their transition they were huge fans. None of the users complained of canting the stocks but rather thought (at least in their perception) that they were more consistent on the rifle, especially when forced into different positions.

I will agree 100% that thumbholes may not be for everyone but there will never be a stock that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bob </div></div>

Bob,
I am actually working on that type of stock. Development has been delayed slightly though due to an accident with strings from the Helium filled ballons getting caught up in my Kestrel. This resulted in a nasty string burn on my left pinky. Also, the test rifle/stock and Kestrel are somewhere south east of here (wind direction at time of the incident) and one of my buddies that has a helicopter is keeping an eye out for it.

NOTE: There is a reward of all the BBQ you can eat an Porky's Grill and a "like new" AVATAR DVD to anyone recovering and returning the test rifle/stock.

I will be sure to post the new 1.2 version as soon as I make the decision on going with Hydrogen over Helium.

Best,
Terry

UPDATE:!!!!!!
My son just reminded me that Hydrogen is very, very flammable.
Prolly stick with Helium.

Youngjoonni,
I am sorry for sidetracking your thread and do not mean this as not taking your questions seriously. Very good discussion. I just had too much coffee today.

Best of luck with your search.
No wind,
Terry

Terry, I'd be happy if you'd hurry up and let me buy a folding Sentinel stock.....no matter what the weight!! PM me for my CC info.

Terry, any updates on the folder you were working on? OP, sorry for the hijack, but, a folding Sentinel might be just what you need...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, I'd be happy if you'd hurry up and let me buy a folding Sentinel stock.....no matter what the weight!! PM me for my CC info.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, any updates on the folder you were working on? OP, sorry for the hijack, but, a folding Sentinel might be just what you need...</div></div>

Hey, I asked first, stay off my hijack!!
laugh.gif

This thread is going exactly as I had hoped (minus the hijacking
cry.gif
. LOL)! . The input and insight that is shared here is invaluable. Thanks!

Stocks are objective to the user, I agree. What I am looking for is what people like and/or dislike about a particular stock/model and the reason WHY they feel that way. This allows potential buyers, like myself, to "sample" a product through their feedback.

Youngjonni,

I started with a HS stock on a 700P, it was light weight and had a shitty smooth sweaty texture to it.
Changed that out for an AICS 1.5 which was a huge imrpovement but had ergonomics issues with the front end being so square, it wasn't overly comfortable stomping up and down mountains and didnt sit too well on uneven surfaces when field shooting off logs / packs and shit. I broke both my thumbs at work years ago and they really didnt like the shape of the thumbhole grip, same as Glock pistol frames it bites the bone - unlucky.

Sold that and got a McMillan A5 stock, huge improvement. With its wide rounded front end that has a nice semi rough texture to it shooting with gloves / no gloves isn't an issue. The almost vertical grip is another nice feature, you can get a solid handful and have a straight pull at the trigger. Run your thumb on the top shelf near the safety and you'll be good to go.

Like you said they're all good stocks, just need to get to the range and hopefully have a shot behind each. Hope this helps

I have an A5, and a AI. I like them both about the same as far as shooting them. No experience with manners as quite a few, including Panty 6 know. I am rather direct like that.
If I had to choose between the AI and the A series McM's, I would have to say Both! As far as aesthetic looks the McM's win by volumes, however, the beauty of the AI stock is that it feels about the same when shooting it. The 'thumbhole' works fine and feels fairly close to the hand hold on the A5 for me.
If I could choose any stock for a build, I like the A5 for a long rifle. If I want an Urban Hide Away Gun, the AI folder would be the cat's ass with a short 16" barreled action and a can.
I'll say this though, the best optics I have ever seen is the USO SN3 series, they freakin rock

Terry: In the <span style="font-weight: bold">long</span> term helium is somewhat of a non-renewable resource...we'll have to keep up development work on the miniaturized antigravity device. ;P

Some people find they prefer a pistol grip to the thumbhole.

Thus the AX AICS coming out soon:

AX_AICS_DE_RightFoldedClose.jpg

There's something about dark earth with black accents that's just damn sexy, IMO.

Ok i do think they are all well made but i am in the hate section with the ACIS they forend is to square if it was rounded a simple thing to do but costly by changing the molds for the pannels it would be better for positional shooting also the pistol grip is to tight for me to be comfortable and the new pistol grip would be better but unfortunatly wont be legal here for importation. The Mc Millan stocks are great had one that was snapped in half due to user issuew but replaced for free by Mc Millan but the time to get one takes a while. Then you have the Manners i have an UL for my hunting rifle and they are great also the T4's are about perfect shape fr me and the new T5A will be interesting but have not handled one yet.

With any of the stocks i bed them i dont like machined surfaces with tolerances to keep the accuracy a good bedding job is invaluable even on the mini chassis just makes a great stock better.

If you want to run ACIS mags the best option is a Manners but with every stock combination try to handle the ones you like first and get the one that you like not what others tell you to like. But the manners with Mini Chassis and skim bed it with Cheek Piece set up for adjustments also Todd will paint it any type of cam or color you could ask for and what a finished produce you will get.

I really have wanted to like the AICS (have had 3 in the past few years, including trading a Manners T4A for one recently
mad.gif
-stupidest thing I've done in a while).

I forgot why I had gotten away from the AICS platform when I traded the T4A. Once behind it I realized it is not so much the thumbhole, but the trigger "reach", ie-the distance from the back of the grip to the trigger. I find it to be too short on the AICS, and I have a hard time pulling the trigger properly. I'm sure I could train around it, but I have a McMA5 on my primary gun that I love.

I swapped the AICS for a McM A3 and I'm learning to like it, but if I weren't broke like a mofo, a Manners T4A with the new mini-chassis is what I would run.

The T4A and McM A5 are very similar, but to me, the Manners just "feels" a little better-nothing tangible that I can really explain. I would love to get back into a T4A.....

I have an AICS and i really like it. The feel of the pistol grip and thumbhole combination works well in my hands. Its a heavy stock but I dont mind that either.

I have used HS precision stocks before and they are ok but nothing special from what Ive felt... I have one sitting in the cupboard doing nothing.

I have felt a McMillan as well. Seemed ok but i couldnt see what all the fuss was about. Regardless it is still a nice stock.

I would be interested in getting a manners stock in the future If i had the opportunity.

The question at hand is pretty difficult... Its like asking someone if they prefer blondes, brunettes or red heads! At the end of the day you would probably sleep with any of them provided they tick the right boxes yeh? But even if they dont tick your boxes, someone else out there might have a different opinion to you.

sobrbiker883, trigger reach a problem for you on the AICS? Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I try one out.

McMillan in the A4 flavor is my favorite, but either of the other 2 company's make good stocks aswell, it comes down to what fits you best.

I have a 5R in an AICS 1.0 that works well. I plan on putting my 338 into a McMillan or a Manners though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what's the wait time on a Mannors. Ya'll got me thinking......</div></div>

It depends on what stock your getting. Call Manners and they will tell you what you need to know.

Phone:(816) 283-3334

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Youngjoonni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sobrbiker883, trigger reach a problem for you on the AICS? Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I try one out.

</div></div>

It's not the stock, just his short little sausage fingers....

<----- Has already ditched one AICS in lieu of a Manner's T5A, contemplating repeating the process on another rifle as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Youngjoonni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sobrbiker883, trigger reach a problem for you on the AICS? Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I try one out.

</div></div>

It's not the stock, just his short little sausage fingers.... </div></div>

Actually I find the trigger reach on the AICS too short, probably the reason that the UK guys shoot with the middle pad of their index finger on the trigger.

But wait, there's more...
All 3 of those stocks share the same design feature, bedding blocks or chassis style support of the action. There is another option, tube stock design . Chassis style uses the under belly recoil lug while the Gary Eliseo's CSS stock uses the donut style circular lug. It is a different aesthetic with many advantages to the traditional chassis stock. You might want to check them out. You will probably see some at your local range or if you get up to Escondido or Camp Pendleton.
Here's a link to Gary Eliseo's whttp://competitionshootingstuff.com/id12.htmlebsite:

One stock may fit you better than another, and that is certainly a factor. But one thing you will get with a Manner's stock that you won't get anywhere else is... Tom Manners. If you ever get a chance to do business with the man, you will understand what I mean. He takes great pride in his work, makes a GREAT product and will do whatever it takes to make sure that you, the customer is happy with the end result, even if it costs him.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be completely honest, you really just need to get your hands on them. I was dead set on an AICS until I got behind one. Its a great stock and has die hard followers, but the thumbhole grip and square forend wasnt for me.

My vote is for whatever manners fits you the best. Tougher than nails and varied designs for multiple applications or preference. Plus the mini-chassis sealed the deal for me. All the benifits of the AICS in lighter package. After handling all of the brands you mentioned, I decided on the T2A with the mini-chassis. Now I just need to save the pennies...

Depending on where in Cali you are, just head to a match or link up with some members here, thats what I did. I regularly see threads about monthly norcal precision matches. Prolly a fun day and worth a drive to at least get your hands on a future 500-1k dollar purchase.</div></div>

Glad me and Rob pushed you into the Manners haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners stocks are top notch. Everyone that has got behind my T4A loves it.</div></div>

This is true. And your paint job is definitely one of the best I've seen... In person or on here. I don't think you can top a Manners and a 30calsniper paint job IMHO.

Another plug for Manner's stocks. They do great work. Quicker turn around too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But one thing you will get with a Manner's stock that you won't get anywhere else is... Tom Manners. If you ever get a chance to do business with the man, you will understand what I mean. He takes great pride in his work, makes a GREAT product and will do whatever it takes to make sure that you, the customer is happy with the end result, even if it costs him.

John</div></div>

Very true. And he's pretty funny when he's drunk too
wink.gif

This is actually a question that only <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="text-decoration: underline">YOU </span> </span> can answer. They are all great stocks in their own right but we as shooters all have individual likes and dislikes. The only way is to test drive all three and decide for yourself.

I have McMillans and AICS's and I can tell you that I'll never wait on a fiberglass stock when an AICS is good to go and I can have one in my hands within a day if need be. Of course I am talking 700 type actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is actually a question that only <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="text-decoration: underline">YOU </span> </span> can answer. They are all great stocks in their own right but we as shooters all have individual likes and dislikes. The only way is to test drive all three and decide for yourself.</div></div>

This is true but the odds of trying all three are remote. One, definately. Two, maybe. Three, unlikely, unless I make it to a match.

Getting others insights and first hand experiences will help me narrow down a choice if the first I chose I happen to dislike. Yes, I can resell if I dislike and not lose too much but I happen to be a packrat and rarely sell anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Youngjoonni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AICS seems to get a love or hate response. That is good because it will be really apparent whether or not to get one.</div></div>

It's all personal preference. For me, I was sold on the AICS from day one and replaced my HS Precision stock with it. I just prefer the feel of the thumb-hole style stocks. Check your PM.

Thanks to ketchup, I was able to handle the AICS 2.0 for the first time.

I liked the pistol grip idea but not the feel of AICS's grip. The molding cast on the grip made it feel unnatural.

The trigger reach was nice. I have a large palm but small/medium sausage fingers.

The folding stock is nice but it is skinny which translates into a skinny decal pad. A broader pad would spread the recoil into a larger area. The skinny pad dug into my pocket good...a little too good. I bruise easily in that area and foresee a very colorful future.

It was just a quick meet and greet so I wasn't able to fully evaluate the stock but enough to know that I wanted to try out the other stocks.

Gotta love the members here.

Ketchup, thanks again. It'll be my show and tell next time.