• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Marine Scout Snipers 8541 or 0317

Don't try to run

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
any Marine Scout/Snipers here?
Bonafide 8541's and 0317's check in here.
Hopefully we can form at least a Section, if not a Platoon.
I know things have changed and developed over the years and continue to. This is a place where we can have a intelligent conversation with same and similar experienced individuals.
I became a 8541 serving with 3/3 at K bay in the end of 82.
school was at Puuloa (Ewa Beach) and we used that for a range and the Army's property up by Schofield for most of the field ops, stalks, etc. We also went out to Kooholave for feral goat hunting.

Re: Marine Scout Snipers 8541 or 0317

I aint a scout sniper, but i served in k-bay, Lco 3/3 from 87-91. I had some friends in the STA platoon.

There is a Bunch of us here

Nomad
Lowlight
sosicmcise
LoneWolfUSMC
Redmanss
Caylen W
8541USMC

Thats just to name a few

I also served at k-bay 97-05, 2/3 and 3/3 Snipers. I instructed Sniper School at Puuloa Range in Ewa Beach 03-05 and we still did alot of our training out at Scoffield.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a Bunch of us here

Nomad
Lowlight
sosicmcise
LoneWolfUSMC
Redmanss
Caylen W
8541USMC

Thats just to name a few </div></div>

SOSICMCISE was an instructor with me over at 3rd Mar Div.

0311/8541, E 2/3, STA 2/3, 82-86...Semper Fi. None of my old friends still shoot; although 1 still nearly lives in PI now. My nickname was Desto then, still is I guess.

0321/ 0317 2008-present 4th recon btn. quantico and bridgeport.

Marine from '82-'94. A grunt before becoming a Scout Sniper.

Attended Sniper-Instructor School in Quantico in '86. Honor Grad. But there weren't many of us remaining so I don't think that counts for much. LOL I think there were guys with better grades, I just had good grades and no remedials.

Plt. Sgt., S.T.A., 1/2, where I worked with Lowlight. We really had a blast, especially on the Trenton in '88. We were the most functional, dysfunctional platoon in the Marine Corps. I say that with fun thoughts in mind. That was before sniping was cool.

I then became an Instructor at 2nd Mar. Div. Sniper School in '88-89. Worked with J.D. Smith there. His driving terrified me. He later died in a car wreck I heard. R.I.P. Sgt. Smith.

-20 years slipped by-

Live in Alaska now. Hunting moved me here. Own a small sporting goods store that specializes in insulated clothing and sleeping bags (Wiggy's-Alaska).

Shoot a TRG-42 at Birchwood, Ft. Rich, and on the Kenai Peninsula.

Enough Said.....I also was with STA 1/2....I started out at STA 1/8 under ol' Sgt. O. Ronk. Ssgt. Chase was my Staff NCOIC out at Stone Bay.
I also had JD as an instructor along with Sgt. Utterback, Sgt. Lou Dimmoff, and Sgt. JR. Allen.....Col. Chandler was the CO in charge of Rifle Range Det. at the time mid 92'.

When I was in-country (65-66) I heard a rumor of a sniper school and put in for it. Told " no way". I supposedly was too valuable fixing radios on helicopters. Supposedly the school was 2 weeks or so run by 3rd Engineer Battalion. I don't remember when exactly but most likely summer of '66 based on the stuff I found with the notes. Has anyone around heard anything about something like that or is it likely just someone setting me up for a practical joke? Jokes like that did happen back then.

Dang, didn't even know this thread was here. STA 2/2 '95-'96, STA 3/6 '98-'01. 2d MARDIV SSBC 3-95 (with NOMAD, oh the stories...), SSAC 1-01.

Last edited:
Current 0317 with Scout Sniper PLT 3/8, higher ups make a fit about calling it STA nowadays. Did 2 deployments with Lco 3/8 (1) 22 meu (1) AFG nowzad 08-09. 2 deployments ssp (1) geresk vally 2011 (pig) (1) marja, nawa, garmsir 2012, gettin out in 10 months!!

^^^ They started having a conniption over the whole "STA" thing back in the late 90's, and we didn't give a shit then either. Stay safe brother and hopefully your last ten months are "Sleep Til Afternoon" style...

8541/0317 was in 1/4 STA from 2001-2004 then out to Quantico 2004-2007 and Lead Survival Instructor and HRST master at JWTC 2007-2008. Glad to see some HOGs in here.

Any STA 3/5 snipers from the early 80's. We were assign to L Co. after H&S Co. got tired of our unauthorized jungle boots and other things...We had a hard young Captain in L Co. as our company commander who is now the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Paxton. Great times!