• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

Hey Josh, my order # is 5000000159-1. Thanks for your help!
No worries! I have just followed up with your order and apparently your package was delivered today.

If you guys/girls ever need updates on orders, feel free to reach out, but be aware that our website backend is still a little annoying and can be tricky to navigate on our end.

Josh

I LIKE EATING CROW!!! I had 3 different things ordered. The stock was suppose to ship two weeks ago. The spacer kit should have shipped today. And the mag should have shipped two weeks from now. Everthing showed up today. Thanks for putting up with my dumb ass! I will get to shoot it Saturday. And report back.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I am very sorry to hear about your issues with our shipping times and if you want, reach out to me and I will get you an updated timeline on your order. @Codiekfx400 is right that things have been slower around SHOT show with a reduced team in house, but it is still no excuse for us to not have accurate dates for you.

We ship all of our Tikka chassis with an upgraded, steel recoil lug that we machine in house. No need to reuse your OEM one or go out and buy someone else's ;)

Yessir. This chassis only weighs in the neighborhood of 4.5 lb (say 5.5 lb with a full magazine) and we would not expect users to drop in a CIP length action. If it is something you're after however, feel free to let the team know at [email protected] and we'll see about getting them implemented!
Thank you Josh.

I LIKE EATING CROW!!! I had 3 different things ordered. The stock was suppose to ship two weeks ago. The spacer kit should have shipped today. And the mag should have shipped two weeks from now. Everthing showed up today. Thanks for putting up with my dumb ass! I will get to shoot it Saturday. And report back.
You're most welcome and I am sorry that we couldn't be more clear/quicker on our part. We appreciate your patience as we go through the slightly turbulent website switch, but promise to keep improving as we move forward.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I'd love to see a flush cup in the front and a side folder in the future.
Little tricky to do, tbh. The flush cup would require a mold change to the plastic components and design change to the metal. The side folder may be doable, but it'll increase the price quite a bit!

Little tricky to do, tbh. The flush cup would require a mold change to the plastic components and design change to the metal. The side folder may be doable, but it'll increase the price quite a bit!

Thanks for replying. Everything extra comes at a cost. There is a flush cup in the butstock so there should be on in the forend too. As to future "simple" upgrades a side folder would be great.

Thanks for replying. Everything extra comes at a cost. There is a flush cup in the butstock so there should be on in the forend too. As to future "simple" upgrades a side folder would be great.
You're welcome and as always, we love hearing feedback about what people want out of their systems and chassis! One of the arguments to be made (moreso for the folder than the QD) would be; why not upgrade?

If we input the folder and QD sling mount to the Oryx, then the MSRP becomes closer to $599-$649, which is pretty much the same price as an LSS Gen2 or getting close to an XL Gen2. Heck, depending on the buttstock you chose, then you could even have the QD's and folder on an LSS Gen2 for that money too right?

Just food for thought, and we really do appreciate the input, especially as the Oryx is quite a different chassis for us :)

Reactions: Shawn1492
I see your point. To me at least, it seems logical that the Oryx could be a line of it's own, with a separate identity and maybe a little bit cheaper if possible with simpler solutions. I keep noticing that a lot of people want a simple upgrade path, whereas they can buy into say, in this case the Oryx and being able to upgrade it to the standard they want in the future.

I have been wanting to upgrade from the flimsy hogue stock on my howa .22-250, but I honestly don't have any experience with DBM systems. I'm assuming the .22-250 will fit easily in the .308 mags but being a bit short, I don't know if they will have trouble feeding. I've got an Oryx in my cart, but wanted some guidance on what magazine to run with this before I committed. This seems like a great system for those like me to transition from hunting-style stocks to a chassis. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Josh

Reactions: TACC and MDT_Josh
Glad to hear your interest! The Ruger American that is for pre-order on the Oryx Chassis Website is designed for AICS pattern mags. The XL Gen2 variant for the AR mags is brand new for us and if there is enough demand, there may be an inlet for the Oryx too?

Making sure I understand this completely.

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300BO. From what I can tell I can put it in the Oryx but it may not feed well with your or anyone's AICS mag. I'd be fine with your mag if it fed reliably but sounds like feeding from a standard magpul pmag and the inletting for such on this chassis would be the best solution? If so is this even a consideration?

I'd order one today if it worked reliably with my Ruger American Ranch in 300BO.

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300BO... but sounds like feeding from a standard magpul pmag and the inletting for such on this chassis would be the best solution? If so is this even a consideration?
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ruger-ranch-rifle-pmag-conversion.6915399/

For 300 blackout that is the best solution, feeding from ar15 pmags but only if you have the ruger ranch with the pmag set up from factory. The bolt on this model is relieved to make room for the pmag (material is removed) and the action magwell is cut wider/deeper to accept the p mag into it. MDT does make a special model to accommodate the ar pmags in their other chassis lines, not sure about this oryx though.
1549295397259.png

If you have this rotary mag model it wont work. You would have to relieve the bolt and action bottom to fit a p mag, just not worth it for a 350 dollar rifle.
And with a 300 blk it for sure wont be a good candidate for aics, at best I got 50% with a plastic 223 aics and 0% with a 223 accurate mag from a magpul hunter. The lips on those aics mags are too far back and allow the round to pop up freely well before it starts feeding into the chamber so it will bounce up and jam into the breech face the majority of the time.
1549295426872.png

For a longer, more full size round I dont see it being an issue with this chassis, for the short 300 bo its nothing but a problem. MDT says there is a special 223 ruger accurate mag that they suggest to use with their other chassis lines, notice that the plastic insert extends father forward but they are hard to find and not really a proven solution as they still dont get up high enough without interfering with the bolt.
1549297125256.png

I hope MDT has had some progress since I last discussed this with them a month or two back, they said they were working on a special aics 300 bo mag but no promises or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrf
Finally got her out to put first rounds thru. With wind chill it was -15 btw.

Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor Heavy barreled action
@MDT_Josh MDT Oryx Chassis(obviously)
MDT 20 Moa scope rail
MDT M-lok rail
Seekins Precision High 34mm rings
@gr8fuldoug Athlon Ares Etr 4.5-30x56 APRS1 FFP Mil w/sunshade
GG&G 1125 bipod from @308nhunter(banned now)
Magpul Pmag 10rd magazine
Precision Armament M-11 Muzzle brake
Total build price of everything on this list- $2300

IMG_0001 (3).JPG

Last edited:
I have been wanting to upgrade from the flimsy hogue stock on my howa .22-250, but I honestly don't have any experience with DBM systems. I'm assuming the .22-250 will fit easily in the .308 mags but being a bit short, I don't know if they will have trouble feeding. I've got an Oryx in my cart, but wanted some guidance on what magazine to run with this before I committed. This seems like a great system for those like me to transition from hunting-style stocks to a chassis. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Josh

DBM systems are quite straightforward, usually, and are a great/easy way to upgrade the functionality of your rifle! Unfortunately for you, the 22-250 is a little bit tricky to run out of AICS pattern magazines, not because of the length, but because of the case taper. We have had a few shooters now run the 22-250 out of our polymer 308 magazines, but they are not a 100% guarantee to work. I would say it's up to you if you'd like to jump into this and set yourself up with a solid upgrade of a chassis, and if you decide to try out the poly mags, we will 100% support any returns or modifications you may need to make :)

Making sure I understand this completely.

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300BO. From what I can tell I can put it in the Oryx but it may not feed well with your or anyone's AICS mag. I'd be fine with your mag if it fed reliably but sounds like feeding from a standard magpul pmag and the inletting for such on this chassis would be the best solution? If so is this even a consideration?

I'd order one today if it worked reliably with my Ruger American Ranch in 300BO.

@spife7980 nailed it! The Ruger American setup to run the 300BO out of AR15 magazines is your best bet, and we don't have an inlet for the Ruger American AR just yet in the Oryx, only the LSS-XL Gen2! There are some shooters that have tried the 300BO out of the standard ranch with 223 polymer magazines, but they are not a guaranteed fix again.

PS; @Farmerdanss that is a sweet setup and good on you for braving the cold to get out and shoot!

DBM systems are quite straightforward, usually, and are a great/easy way to upgrade the functionality of your rifle! Unfortunately for you, the 22-250 is a little bit tricky to run out of AICS pattern magazines, not because of the length, but because of the case taper. We have had a few shooters now run the 22-250 out of our polymer 308 magazines, but they are not a 100% guarantee to work. I would say it's up to you if you'd like to jump into this and set yourself up with a solid upgrade of a chassis, and if you decide to try out the poly mags, we will 100% support any returns or modifications you may need to make :)

Thanks for your response. I was worried about the taper with a full magazine, but maybe with a lower capacity mag (like the 8-round) it won't be a problem. Anyway, at that price, I am willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for your response. I was worried about the taper with a full magazine, but maybe with a lower capacity mag (like the 8-round) it won't be a problem. Anyway, at that price, I am willing to give it a shot.
Our polymer magazines are limited to 8 rounds by design right now, but the feedlips and internal ribbing may or may not agree with your rounds. Great to hear that you're interested in the Oryx and as I said before, if you have issues, we'll be sure to help you out and get your system up and running!

Reactions: jb0311

Thank you for the detailed info. Exactly what I was looking for. I have the older rotary mag version and using a Lucky 13 mag now but it's huge. Gun shoots AMAZING with some of my handloads. In the crappy stock it will stay.

@MDT_Josh thanks for the follow-up. Also wish I knew about this Chassis a few weeks ago...alas I have a different Chassis on the way for my Savage build. If there turns out to be no major issues, I think this Chassis is going to be really popular... (and I'm thinking one of those polymer side piece screws could easily be replaced with a flush cup piece of some sort for the hunters...upgrade piece of course to not add to the price)

@MDT_Josh Do you know offhand if a nucleus with barloc will work in the chassis without the barloc contacting the backbone? Currently using KRG Bravos on my 2 nucleus builds but am thinking about maybe changing them out for the Oryx. The barloc nut is slightly binding on the bravo's backbone.

@MDT_Josh Do you know offhand if a nucleus with barloc will work in the chassis without the barloc contacting the backbone? Currently using KRG Bravos on my 2 nucleus builds but am thinking about maybe changing them out for the Oryx. The barloc nut is slightly binding on the bravo's backbone.
From what I have seen, there should be no issue with the Barloc in the Oryx. We inlet that part of the chassis (just ahead of the recoil lug) very similar to a lot of our other chassis and there is no contact in them :) We have a supported shooter in WA that will be doing this drop in test soon and I should have verified results for you.

Reactions: andrewsben
From what I have seen, there should be no issue with the Barloc in the Oryx. We inlet that part of the chassis (just ahead of the recoil lug) very similar to a lot of our other chassis and there is no contact in them :) We have a supported shooter in WA that will be doing this drop in test soon and I should have verified results for you.
Thanks a lot josh.

@MDT_Josh

Hey Josh,

I ordered an oryx back around 1/21 for the RAP action (order #5000000198). Was wondering if I could get an order update.

The website now says shipping won’t start until Feb, 22nd. Is there any chance that shipping may begin sooner, or atleast that my chassis will arrive by the first week of March?? I was hoping to use the new chassis for the bighorn steel classic PRS match in Nebraska in March 8th!

Josh, does MDT have any plans to come up with a tool less buttpad height and cant mechanism along the lines of the KRG model?
The height is in the works now and I think that the new ACC's have them (may need a fact check here), but the cant is not something we see shooters adjust on the fly. If it becomes something we need to do, then well find a way :)

@MDT_Josh I just received the Oryx chassis for a howa sa in .223. When trying to use a MDT .223 polymer mag the bolt does not travel far enough back to strip a round from the mag, any recommendations?

@MDT_Josh

Hey Josh,

I ordered an oryx back around 1/21 for the RAP action (order #5000000198). Was wondering if I could get an order update.

The website now says shipping won’t start until Feb, 22nd. Is there any chance that shipping may begin sooner, or atleast that my chassis will arrive by the first week of March?? I was hoping to use the new chassis for the bighorn steel classic PRS match in Nebraska in March 8th!
I am looking into this for you now! Maybe PM me so that I don't forget about the updates? :)

@MDT_Josh I just received the Oryx chassis for a howa sa in .223. When trying to use a MDT .223 polymer mag the bolt does not travel far enough back to strip a round from the mag, any recommendations?

Yes, this is a common issue with the Howa 1500 SA in 223 Rem and we have a note on all of our chassis pages on the website :) Check out this video:

Hope this helps!

Will a rem 700 in 300blk work with your oryx chassis and magazines?

Josh or anyone else,

Any feeding issues using the non-binder MDT metal AICS 10/12 rds mags in the Bighorn Origin SA. I am planning a 6.5 CM budget build and am considering using the KRG Bravo or this Oryx Chassis and concerns with COAL in binder vs non binder with freebore in std .199" chamber.

Any insight appreciated, thanks gents!

TM6

Will a rem 700 in 300blk work with your oryx chassis and magazines?
It will, you will just need to ensure that you have a longer round (2.230"+) to feed reliably once it has disengaged the feedlips of our polymer 223 magazines :) There is a potential for follower tipping.

Josh or anyone else,

Any feeding issues using the non-binder MDT metal AICS 10/12 rds mags in the Bighorn Origin SA. I am planning a 6.5 CM budget build and am considering using the KRG Bravo or this Oryx Chassis and concerns with COAL in binder vs non binder with freebore in std .199" chamber.

Any insight appreciated, thanks gents!

TM6

As far as I know, the Big Horn Origin is cutout to accept AICS magazines without binder plates and can handle rounds up to 2.980". With the 6.5CM and good aftermarket barrel, you shouldn't need the extra magazine room, but it doesn't hurt to have I guess :)

It looks like other MDT chassis have Long action Savages. Do you think the Oryx will in the future? I wouldn’t think to many people would want a LA, but if you have the tooling for other chassis it would make a sweet 280AI project.

It looks like other MDT chassis have Long action Savages. Do you think the Oryx will in the future? I wouldn’t think to many people would want a LA, but if you have the tooling for other chassis it would make a sweet 280AI project.
1549918166403.png

This is the table we have on the Oryx site, and I agree, I think a 280AI Savage in the Oryx would be awesome!

Reactions: John622hoover
I would have bought this for my howa mini 6.5 Grendel if it took Aics mags. Still no 10rd mags available. Great lookin chassis though.

It will, you will just need to ensure that you have a longer round (2.230"+) to feed reliably once it has disengaged the feedlips of our polymer 223 magazines :) There is a potential for follower tipping.

Thanks for your reply.
Sounds good since I'm shooting a 240 grain custom cast powder coated sub-sonic bullet handload with a COL of 2.235 in my BDL type stock.
Subs have been a challenge to get sub moa.
It's doing 1 to 1.5 inch at 100 yards.
I think It might do better with a chassis.

Last edited:
@MDT_Josh is the website down? I've been trying for a couple of days. Maybe they're just all sold out? On the order page, the picture (on the left) isn't loading and none of the drop down menus are showing anything.

@MDT_Josh is the website down? I've been trying for a couple of days. Maybe they're just all sold out? On the order page, the picture (on the left) isn't loading and none of the drop down menus are showing anything.
I had the same problem with Firefox when I tried ordering one. I had to open up the pages in chrome to get them to load correctly and be able to place an order.
I had my stock in hand w/in 5 working days! (there was a holiday weekend). My HOWA 223 functions smooth as silk with original AICS 223 mags BTW!

The website appears to be up for me (Chrome user) and we have three inlets listed for sale currently. We have taken off some of the inlets that are heavily backordered or experiencing production issues right now. Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

The website appears to be up for me (Chrome user) and we have three inlets listed for sale currently. We have taken off some of the inlets that are heavily backordered or experiencing production issues right now. Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Hmm chrome is my default browser. I checked with chrome, Firefox, and Safari and got the same thing. I'll clear the cookies and try again tomorrow.
Thanks.

Hmm chrome is my default browser. I checked with chrome, Firefox, and Safari and got the same thing. I'll clear the cookies and try again tomorrow.
Thanks.
That could be part of it to be honest. If you hold down control and refresh a page in chrome, it auto clears your cookies and that will usually solve a lot of the issues. If that doesn't work, then email [email protected] with a screenshot and we'll get it working for you!

Reactions: jb0311
So first of all, epic. Just epic. The Aesthetics here hit it out of the park.

Second, you can probably make a “pass through” style QD cup up front. Drill a hole in the under chassis and thread it for a qd cup. Bolt the qd to the under chassis and drill a hole through the stock sides for the cup to pass through. This can be done on a drill press usually with a brad point bit and a fixture in about 20 seconds a stock.

C: this is awesome enough that a folding mechanism would probably sell. Something little and easy for the ass end. Even with a notable price bump I think it would sell.

And finally the ability to mount an NV bridge would rock. I know it’s a budget chassis and folks with clip ons aren’t really it’s target audience but...lol.

Josh,

Are you currently offering the complete Oryx Chassis in any other color than ODG(ie, Grey, FDE, Blk. etc etc)?

I see that you are offering the panels in different colors, but don't want to purchase the chassis and then shell out more for a different color.

Thanks,
TM6

Josh,

Are you currently offering the complete Oryx Chassis in any other color than ODG(ie, Grey, FDE, Blk. etc etc)?

I see that you are offering the panels in different colors, but don't want to purchase the chassis and then shell out more for a different color.

Thanks,
TM6

We're not currently offering them in different colours, but are working on it now! Hoping to have them available in the next few months.

Reactions: t8500shx
Still looking for a left hand short action-is it simpler on the manufacturing side to modify for all of the different RH action inlets than set up for 2-3 highest volume LH actions? Seems to leave a pretty reasonable market segment without an option till all of the RH actions have been completed. Pressing a bit because I’d like a get a LH Rem700 SA soon as available, which appears to be six months out from list above.

Reactions: SoloAmigo