• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

Yes it is, l used the v-tap assembly made for the Ruger Rpr. In this case I needed to replace one of the upper bolts on the oryx chassis with a longer one and drill / threat the lower one. I’m happy with the result.
Any chance of posting a picture?

Pay attention to the length of pull, it will not work for everyone

Attachments

• 99556618-7ACF-4491-B751-2609CD6F1326.jpeg
    99556618-7ACF-4491-B751-2609CD6F1326.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 562
  • C4FC2F40-7F2B-4C87-BD01-51659F83C6DB.jpeg
    C4FC2F40-7F2B-4C87-BD01-51659F83C6DB.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 514

They have models for lots of different stocks / chassis, it’s possible that a different one can work for the oryx.
The RPR one was the one I had, so I tried it and just ordered the same one again. Mine does have the limbsaver, there may be thinner pads available.

Thinking about a MDT Oryx for a Remington 700 short action - a .308 with a varmint barrel. This is the ADL model Rem 700 with the blind magazine (i.e. the only way to unload it is to work the bolt). Is there any additional messing around to be done to fit the Oryx on a rifle with a blind magazine?

I have a Harris bipod on the Rem 700 now attached to a sling swivel stud. Can I fit this onto the Oryx chassis or is it a case of buy a new bipod?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Thinking about a MDT Oryx for a Remington 700 short action - a .308 with a varmint barrel. This is the ADL model Rem 700 with the blind magazine (i.e. the only way to unload it is to work the bolt). Is there any additional messing around to be done to fit the Oryx on a rifle with a blind magazine?

I have a Harris bipod on the Rem 700 now attached to a sling swivel stud. Can I fit this onto the Oryx chassis or is it a case of buy a new bipod?
I put an Rem 700 .308 ADL with a varmint barrel in an Oryx without any issue or special work needed.

No fuss changing into the Oryx whatsoever. You will need AICS pattern magazines however. I think the Oryx has a stud but I'm not certain. If not, you can purchase an mlok mounted stud to attach your bipod to.

No fuss changing into the Oryx whatsoever. You will need AICS pattern magazines however. I think the Oryx has a stud but I'm not certain. If not, you can purchase an mlok mounted stud to attach your bipod to.
Yes, an AICS pattern magazine is needed along with a method to attach the bipod, we do have studs available on the website! Yes, you can use the M-Lok slots for a stud, rail, or ARCA rail:)

-Anthony

Reactions: Biscuits
Yes, an AICS pattern magazine is needed along with a method to attach the bipod, we do have studs available on the website! Yes, you can use the M-Lok slots for a stud, rail, or ARCA rail:)

-Anthony

Any news on long action Rem700 Orxy , colleague has been waiting for his ordered chassis for months now.

Thanks for the replies, thought of a few more questions on the MDT Oryx

- I have short scope rings at the moment; would I need tall rings with the Oryx as it is a straight line design?
- Does it work well for prone shooting; thinking of the pistol grip being lower than the buttstock so there is a minimum height of the rear bag?
- The buttstock is only full depth at the very back. Do you notice having to put your rear bag right at the back vs anywhere you like on the buttstock on a traditional stock rifle?

Any news on long action Rem700 Orxy , colleague has been waiting for his ordered chassis for months now.
If he has an order placed with us and is looking for an update it is best for him to contact us directly with his order number.

-Anthony

got another magazine compatibility question here.

I just ordered the Oryx for the Tikka SA (going to be a 6.5 creedmoor rifle). Josh's previous posts say that the Oryx Polymer mags would not work without filing.

Oryx website says they're guaranteed to work...then the comments/questions on the product page actually recommend going to the MDT Metal mags instead.

Based on those two experiences...I ordered the MDT Binder 10 round metal mag instead. I dont want to file down or dremel brand new mags when I order them..

I ordered direct from Legacy Sports..who told me that they ship the complete kits with the Polymer mags and that the metal ones are typically a sloppy fit.

I sent MDT an email as well, but looking for some feedback from those who have run this combo as well. Josh's previous posts mention starting with the polymer mags but ending with using the metal ones..just wanted to see if anyone else landed on that similar pairing.

EDIT: MDT email support clarified the issue for me saying that the polymer mag problems were a "gen 1" problem that has been fixed now for anyone wondering

Last edited:
Any plans on offering this for Anschutz 1710 / 1712 actions?
MDT has the LSS-RF for your rifle already!

If you are interested in an Oryx, make sure you leave a request!

All my bipods are picatinny rail. I want to install a picatinny all the way to the end of my Oryx chassis, maybe even an inch beyond. What length rail should I order to have good contact on the forearm but free float out on the end?

All my bipods are picatinny rail. I want to install a picatinny all the way to the end of my Oryx chassis, maybe even an inch beyond. What length rail should I order to have good contact on the forearm but free float out on the end?
You can fit up to a 7" on the flat of the forearm, so our 9.6" might be a good fit; it will take some modification for a proper fit though.

-Anthony

What's the thread pitch and length on the swivel stud? Every site on the internet is out of stock, and I'm itching to get my rifle together. I want to see if another manufacturer makes one in the same size.

What's the thread pitch and length on the swivel stud? Every site on the internet is out of stock, and I'm itching to get my rifle together. I want to see if another manufacturer makes one in the same size.
We have tapped the chassis M5-0.8MM but 10-32 will also work.

-Anthony

Thanks Anthony! Any chance there's a new batch about to hit the website in the next day or two?
We always have new inventory rolling, it likely won't take too long!

-Anthony

Just wanted to share some honest feedback, about 6 weeks out with using the Oryx and my tikka t3x CTR action in 6.5 creedmoor. Ive had 3 range trips in that time, with varying conditions between average 60 degree and sunny, cloudy, cold and rainy, and windy, so Ive gotten to thankfully try it in many different shooting scenarios. All have been seated bench shots.

This is my first decent bolt action, and first chassis as well. I have shot some mosin nagants and a mauser in the past, along with some friends ruger 6.5's but I would say objectively the Tikka is in a class of its own, just based on the smooth operation of the bolt.

The Oryx chassis definitely solved every complaint and issue I had with my Tikka rifle and has made shooting significantly more enjoyable. Wider handguard for more gripping area (I like to shoot bolt actions like an AR, rather than the wrap-around support hand grip some guys use on the buttstock). Magpul rail bolted on easily for bipod mounting. Length of pull adjustments with the spacer kit are dead on, and cheek rest fits me perfectly in the bottom-most position. I did upgrade to my own thumb screws for the cheek adjustment, because the threading is a common size, and I already had some sitting around in my parts bin from another project.

At 100 yards Ive been averaging 2-3 shots in the same hole, even without warming up. My worst groups are typically still half inch or less now on 10 shots at 100 yards. Not that the chassis does the work for you, but it definitely helped correct numerous issues I had with the factory tikka stock not fitting me well. Prior to this, with a bipod or bags I was getting half inch to 1 inch groups for 2-3 shots, very inconsistent shooting. Lots of setup and discomfort issues, followup shots were a pain. The change in groupings was immediate. Ive been shooting exclusively from bags since adding the oryx, but added an atlas PSR today as well, cant wait to see the results.

Im at a point now where Im genuinely considering picking up a Tikka t1x in 22LR to use as a trainer, and ordering a matching ORYX chassis for it the minute I buy the rifle. I have no plans of shooting it with the factory stock if I do buy it, as it is identical to my old CTR stock.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share some honest feedback, about 6 weeks out with using the Oryx and my tikka t3x CTR action in 6.5 creedmoor. Ive had 3 range trips in that time, with varying conditions between average 60 degree and sunny, cloudy, cold and rainy, and windy, so Ive gotten to thankfully try it in many different shooting scenarios. All have been seated bench shots.

This is my first decent bolt action, and first chassis as well. I have shot some mosin nagants and a mauser in the past, along with some friends ruger 6.5's but I would say objectively the Tikka is in a class of its own, just based on the smooth operation of the bolt.

The Oryx chassis definitely solved every complaint and issue I had with my Tikka rifle and has made shooting significantly more enjoyable. Wider handguard for more gripping area (I like to shoot bolt actions like an AR, rather than the wrap-around support hand grip some guys use on the buttstock). Magpul rail bolted on easily for bipod mounting. Length of pull adjustments with the spacer kit are dead on, and cheek rest fits me perfectly in the bottom-most position. I did upgrade to my own thumb screws for the cheek adjustment, because the threading is a common size, and I already had some sitting around in my parts bin from another project.

At 100 yards Ive been averaging 2-3 shots in the same hole, even without warming up. My worst groups are approx. than half inch on 10 shots at 100 yards. Not that the chassis does the work for you, but it definitely helped correct numerous issues I had with the factory tikka stock not fitting me well. Prior to this, with a bipod or bags I was getting half inch to 1 inch groups for 2-3 shots, very inconsistent shooting. Lots of setup and discomfort issues, followup shots were a pain. The change in groupings was immediate. Ive been shooting exclusively from bags since adding the oryx, but added an atlas PSR today as well, cant wait to see the results.

Im at a point now where Im genuinely considering picking up a Tikka t1x in 22LR to use as a trainer, and ordering a matching ORYX chassis for it the minute I buy the rifle. I have no plans of shooting it with the factory stock if I do buy it, as it is identical to my old CTR stock.
Thank you so much for the kind words and we're so glad to hear the chassis is working out for you!

-Anthony

Nothing in the works at this time, but that may change in the future!

-Anthony
I have one of the Jamer bag riders too, and it’s great but I would also like MDT to make a rear stock shell that had a longer area for a bag. I know I would probably buy another Oryx for a more general purpose rifle if that was available.

This second attachment was an idea/design I came up with a couple years ago and shared in this thread. The first attachment is the Oryx’ original configuration. I wonder if @Tyler Kemp with M-K Machining would have an interest in producing/refining something like this for the Oryx shooters?

I’ve been following the Oryx for a while now, trying to decide if it’s the chassis for my budget Howa build. I jumped on Brownells’ great sale last fall! I’m torn between it and the KRG Bravo. I too have concerns about the short stock base for riding a bag and I think it could be a simple fix by Oryx, if even sold as aftermarket replacement panels. Why not mold the polymer stock panels with a little bit of an extension forward of the chassis aluminum. Maybe 3” or so, and maybe with a bit of a hook molded in. Other than creating the initial molds, with polymer it should be an easy, inexpensive upgrade for the consumer. Here’s an idea of what’s in my mind...original vs the upgrade.View attachment 7089027View attachment 7089028

My ask for on an Oryx would be an Arca rail built in. Preferably the Area 419 Arca Lok system.

I had one on T 1X , replaced the Tikka with Bergara.

This second attachment was an idea/design I came up with a couple years ago and shared in this thread. The first attachment is the Oryx’ original configuration. I wonder if @Tyler Kemp with M-K Machining would have an interest in producing/refining something like this for the Oryx shooters?
Complete side panels would be awesome, but would NOT be cheap. Probably $200 range.

A bag rider is doable at a lower cost, for sure.

For a bag rider I installed Adjustable Bag Rider

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: Schütze
My ask for on an Oryx would be an Arca rail built in. Preferably the Area 419 Arca Lok system.

I had one on T 1X , replaced the Tikka with Bergara.
That's not quite what the Oryx was intended for, and it would be quite expensive to make. However, if you are looking for that type of functionality at a lower price, check out our XRS and grab the Integrated ARCA forend; that would be the best thing!

-Anthony

Reactions: Just Chuck
We did update to include the M-LOK slot so you could use an M-LOK bag rider on the current production chassis

has anyone milled out the magwell on a ORYX to accommodate 338LP and 300PRC. Using a 3.85 CIP magazine. would be milling out the front of the magwell 0.135". Just wondering if i'm about to be the first. I also plan on attaching a bipod spigot off the face of the forearm, be it embedded or threaded into the chassis.

My plan is to sell or trade my HS Precision stock with bottom metal for 3.85 CIP off of my savage 110 FCP HS in 300 PRC, for the ORYX as i just don't care much for any chassis option out there currently that fit a savage long action. My rifle has had a total of 10 rounds fired, and was purchased just a month ago. So the stock and bottom metal are like new. Should easily get the cost of the oryx for this stock.
qbjwga.jpg

Decided to edit this post. This project was completed. Milled out the chassis to ift the 3.85 CIP magazine (338LP or 300PRC) Added a but plate adjuting device, milled the handguard to embed a versa pod spigot, added a much improved muzzle brake and well, here is the result. I LOVE IT
nqywx7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Twippin
I have what's likely to be a dumb question as I know zero about AICS.

I have a Savage 10T 308 with a DarkEagle 10-round mag conversion - I'm assuming that mag won't fit in the Oryx and that I'd have to purchase AICS-style mags?

I have what's likely to be a dumb question as I know zero about AICS.

I have a Savage 10T 308 with a DarkEagle 10-round mag conversion - I'm assuming that mag won't fit in the Oryx and that I'd have to purchase AICS-style mags?
your assumption is correct. OEM style magazines (savage) do not work with the oryx chassis.

Reactions: AndyCDFW
has anyone milled out the magwell on a ORYX to accommodate 338LP and 300PRC. Using a 3.85 CIP magazine. would be milling out the front of the magwell 0.135". Just wondering if i'm about to be the first. I also plan on attaching a bipod spigot off the face of the forearm, be it embedded or threaded into the chassis.

My plan is to sell or trade my HS Precision stock with bottom metal for 3.85 CIP off of my savage 110 FCP HS in 300 PRC, for the ORYX as i just don't care much for any chassis option out there currently that fit a savage long action. My rifle has had a total of 10 rounds fired, and was purchased just a month ago. So the stock and bottom metal are like new. Should easily get the cost of the oryx for this stock.
qbjwga.jpg
We have seen the modification performed before, it's a good way to go if you are planning on using 3.850" CIP length magazines.

-Anthony

We have seen the modification performed before, it's a good way to go if you are planning on using 3.850" CIP length magazines.

-Anthony
I’m just waiting for you guys to start cutting all of your LA non-Tikka chassis systems to CIP and have an insert for 3.715 mags…

On a similar note, ever thought about adding a “what specific action are you planning to install?” note so you (and maybe we? 😁) could see the breakdown of R700 vs footprint?

I’m just waiting for you guys to start cutting all of your LA non-Tikka chassis systems to CIP and have an insert for 3.715 mags…
I would have ordered this already if it would 100% work with my savage 110 FCP in 300 PRC. Im still not even sure the recoil lug will work. I honestly dont know if it isn't standard but from what i understand the FCP is like the BA. That and the damn 3.85 CIP mags are like the red headed step child of the chassis world.

On a similar note, ever thought about adding a “what specific action are you planning to install?” note so you (and maybe we? 😁) could see the breakdown of R700 vs footprint?

As nice as that would be, you rule out a majority of the long action shooters right off the bat since not all actions are able to go that long, or were ever cut with that length in mind which is why we go the 3.715" magazine.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. Could you provide some more details?

-Anthony

I would have ordered this already if it would 100% work with my savage 110 FCP in 300 PRC. Im still not even sure the recoil lug will work. I honestly dont know if it isn't standard but from what i understand the FCP is like the BA. That and the damn 3.85 CIP mags are like the red headed step child of the chassis world.

Your action will drop right in without any issues. On the Oryx, there really isn't a maximum thickness you could hit since the lug in the barrel ahead of that, on some tapered lugs, you might be limited to .375" thick, but on a parrel, lug go crazy. We updated our Savage LA recoil lug pockets back in 2015 - 2016 as best I can tell to accommodate the BA lug.

As for the magazine length, it is meant for 3.715", but you can always cut it to longer 3.850" magazines if you would like.

-Anthony

Reactions: Bh212
Your action will drop right in without any issues. On the Oryx, there really isn't a maximum thickness you could hit since the lug in the barrel ahead of that, on some tapered lugs, you might be limited to .375" thick, but on a parrel, lug go crazy. We updated our Savage LA recoil lug pockets back in 2015 - 2016 as best I can tell to accommodate the BA lug.

As for the magazine length, it is meant for 3.715", but you can always cut it to longer 3.850" magazines if you would like.

-Anthony
That makes me feel 100% better. Ill be placing an order probably this weekend. Then when it arrives ill see about finding a machine shop to open up the magwell. My custom spigot for the bipod i can do with a drill press at home. When this adventure is over, ill post photos of it with my bipod, and barreled action installed. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
In this video this ORYX looks to have a beautiful semi gloss black refinish, the forend was milled at a 45* angle, the side panels cut back some, and flush QD sling mounts milled directly into the chassis. This is very nice looking, and possibly the best looking solution to the front QD cup issue i've seen yet.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As nice as that would be, you rule out a majority of the long action shooters right off the bat since not all actions are able to go that long, or were ever cut with that length in mind which is why we go the 3.715" magazine.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. Could you provide some more details?

-Anthony

-Anthony
First bit: Several chassis options can do something like this. Have it come with the insert for 3.715 and be removable for 3.850 mags; it seems that the 3.850 capable actions all cut forward instead of both directions.
422A59EB-9F08-4380-91CB-891423A714C8.jpeg
Second bit: I’m super curious how many people are buying a chassis for their Remington 700 vs buying a chassis for customs/clones/etc. I’m also somewhat curious about the breakdowns of which clone actions are going into chassis systems, but R700 vs clone for people who do more than shoot a deer at 30yd every other year is super relevant to *gestures at the industry*.

Reactions: Nathantc