• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

Anyone looking for a Model B might want to check out Ebay. I was able to get 2 brand new ones for $120 each shipped. The guy was located in Auburn....which is where Thumler's is located. He always has a number of them listed.

Huh. Sorry about that. I should have checked he was still listing things before I posted. His seller name is phb20004

This must have just happened because he had a bunch listed just a couple of days ago.

I just pick up one practically new off ebay for $100.00 its the one with the 15 pound drum.
should work well
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just pick up one practically new off ebay for $100.00 its the one with the 15 pound drum.
should work well
Bill </div></div>

Nice score Bill! Ebay is good for a few things still!

Bill keep the Vibratory and use it to clean off the case lube after sizing.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ted_D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer here over Cabelas

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,107.html </div></div>

Just an FYI, I ordered a model B from this place, and the service was excellent, I got the tumbler in abut 3 days. no hassle at all.

CJG

Yes, they are a top notch company that knows what customer service means. I would not hesitate buying from them.

Terry

Hello, so you saying that this stainless media will clean the inside of a bottleneck case as good as using a ultrasonic cleaner. If so a link to the media supplier would be great..
Thanks

Yes! The stainless media cleans bottle neck cases just as well as the ultrasonic. There are many guys on the board and now guys from other boards that will testify to the success that they have had with it! I have had many PM's and lots of guys that have switched.

Its does exactly what the ultrasonic will do, minus having to baby sit the machine.

PM Sent with the contact info.

Terry

I'll vouch for it. I use the stainless and the Thumlers with Lemishine and a little dawn. Neck and inside the case, primer pockets it gets it all. It takes a little more attention to get the media out of small bottleneck cases like .223 & .243, but it works well nonetheless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll vouch for it. I use the stainless and the Thumlers with Lemishine and a little dawn. Neck and inside the case, primer pockets it gets it all. It takes a little more attention to get the media out of small bottleneck cases like .223 & .243, but it works well nonetheless. </div></div>

I have been hearing from lots of guys that Dawn and Leminshine is the ticket! I have been using dawn and joy straight. The only thing that I have changed is a little trick that most black powder shooters do which is decapping at the range and tossing the cases into a 2 liter bottle with warm water dawn and a couple drops of citranox. The citranox probaly is not required but those of you that have used it knows how well it works. I have 3 gallons of it that I had purchased for the ultrasonic and it has just been sitting. What the heck it can't hurt and with soak time the case are half way there buy the time I get them into the tumbler. Doing so has cut my tumbling time in half.

Hope this helps.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimboww</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could I have contact info as well?

Thanks </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

I have tried & used many different kinds & types of ways to clean brass. My ultrasonic is all but retired. With the SS media all I use is hot water & two squirts of Dawn. I got a couple of 5 gallon paint strainers which go over buckets nicely. I just dump the the Thumler's contents into the strainer in the bucket. I find that the pins are much easier to remove from the smaller cases interior by a little back & forth shaking action below the surface. I then rinse the interior of the case & put on a towel. Then a cookie sheet full of brass into a 125 degree oven & everybody is happy. I feel the SS media does a much bettter job than the Ultrasonic method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried & used many different kinds & types of ways to clean brass. My ultrasonic is all but retired. With the SS media all I use is hot water & two squirts of Dawn. I got a couple of 5 gallon paint strainers which go over buckets nicely. I just dump the the Thumler's contents into the strainer in the bucket. I find that the pins are much easier to remove from the smaller cases interior by a little back & forth shaking action below the surface. I then rinse the interior of the case & put on a towel. Then a cookie sheet full of brass into a 125 degree oven & everybody is happy. I feel the SS media does a much bettter job than the Ultrasonic method. </div></div>

I read to not dry cases in the oven as it weakens the brass, it didn't list any temperatures though.

125 degrees should be no problem. It gets to a 100-130 degrees in the mid east and ammo works fine there. I wouldn't go any higher though baking your brass at 350-400 for a couple hours probably would not be a good idea...

BTW I have my tumbler and the SS media but i still have not tried this yet. I have a bunch of 223 that i shot with a suppressor and those cases are super nasty, im curious to see how they come out.

CJG

You can certainly dry brass in your oven! However, I have found that using my brass drying box with a fan for air movement is much more effeicent than the oven. Without air flow the mositure has a hard time exitig the cases. You end up sweating the cases more than you do drying them.

But that is just my opinion. Lots of guys do it! I just found that having the oven on heating the kitchen for a couple hours does not go over to well with the wife!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His seller name is phb20004</div></div>
Note: Take a look at his feedback. Not impressive at all.

I found this thread when looking for Thumbler info. Already getting in some ss media from "the source" which I found out about iirc at castboolits -- he should be getting a percentage from Thumbler!
grin.gif

Yeah, he was at 100% when I got mine. A friend of mine bought one from him aswell. I guess we were lucky. I'm glad no one was able to purchase one from him since I posted this since he either took them all down or Ebay took them down.

Is walnut less "dusty" than corn cob?

I know you've probably been getting tons of requests but can you please send me the info so I can buy some of the SS media. I have this thing for shiny brass and your system appears to be the best I've seen. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you buy the stainless steel media? </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poles93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you've probably been getting tons of requests but can you please send me the info so I can buy some of the SS media. I have this thing for shiny brass and your system appears to be the best I've seen. Thank you </div></div>

PM Sent

Terry

I was wondering, is the contact information given via PM, classified or what?
Why not just post it and avoid the thread to be filled with "Give me info" and "PM sent" posts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering, is the contact information given via PM, classified or what?
Why not just post it and avoid the thread to be filled with "Give me info" and "PM sent" posts?
</div></div>

The Contact info is relayed by me to the people who request it via PM.

It is classified inoformation! My buddy does not wish to have his pesronal contact info posted in the thread! I will discontinue posting PM Sent!

If you wish the info for the SS media just PM me and I will forward you his information as soon as I read your PM's!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering, is the contact information given via PM, classified or what?
</div></div>

The Contact info is relayed by me to the people who request it via PM.

It is classified inoformation! My buddy does not wish to have his pesronal contact info posted in the thread! I will discontinue posting PM Sent!

If you wish the info for the SS media just PM me and I will forward you his information as soon as I read your PM's!

Terry </div></div>

Unfortunately, you are 'over your limit' on PMs, and I can't send one to you.

Yes, you are correct! I have deleted all the pm's that I have responded to!

Sorry, Lost track of all the PM's and did not notice it was full.

Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Terry

I got my 5 pounds of SS media a few weeks ago and can't wait to try it out. Still need to buy the tumbler though. I've been satisfied with Dillons polish and corncob for meantime until I can use the SS which looks far superior. I've heard you can use Nu Finish instead of Dillons stuff, does it work as well?

I buy a 40lb bag of corncob for $12 and use Dillon polish.

Walnut is just too darn dirty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy a 40lb bag of corncob for $12 and use Dillon polish.

Walnut is just too darn dirty. </div></div>
Oh, I never tried walnut, but if it is even dirtier/dustier than corn cob, I think I'll be staying off of it.

Still haven't bought the tumbler but after rereading this thread I noticed the amount of 223 reccommended was about 200 at a time. That's a small amount for me as I prep and load about 1000-2000 at a time. Are there any larger tumblers for around $300 or less? The Thumlers tumbler is about $160 and that is where the 200 count was mentioned for. I guess I could get two of those but I would still have to make at least 2 seperate runs on each one for 1000 cases. Just to compare my cv-2001 Dillon vibratory cleaner can hold close to 1000 cases at a time but it doesn't clean the inside of the cases as well as I would like. Any suggestions?

I use crushed walnut hulls to do my initial cleaning.....then after i reload the cases........i do another final tumble using corn cob with flitz for a finish that won't tarnis or rub off and does it ever shine. Both walnut hulls and corncob media is very inexpensive if you know where too buy it at. Look up in your local "yellow pages" for sandblasting supplies or wholesalers. They sell both walnut hulls and corncob media for use in sandblasting by the 50lb bags and you'll be shocked at how cheap it really is from them compared too the retail gun businesses. I've bought mine at my local sandblast supply vendor for years.

Sargent Dan......any relation too Lt Dan? Anyways.......i used 2 of the large Thumbers tumblers myself and after having many different kinds/brands of tumbers over the years....like these the best of all i've ever had. I won't buy anything else except that i might look at a Dillon as their products have a reputation for working also.

i must be blind 'cause i have not found any reference to the size of the stainless rods to purchase & what is the minimum order of stainless rods is possiple if the ceramic cylinder were an 55lb/minimum @ $55 a pound. this is a marvelous way to get brass pristine, much better than ISSO for the insides saving the Q-tips. thanks very much. keep your powder dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He is the contact man also not $55.00 a pound
Bill </div></div>

That is correct! As of today 1/13/2010 its running $46.00 per 5lbs shipped I believe pending any price increase from my buddys supplier. This is enoguh media for the Thumlers!

Terry