• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Metal target for handgun shooting?

zjmccauley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2014
Colorado
So my wife and I get extremely bored of stapling up targets over and over and over to practice shooting drills with our handguns. I'd like to get some metal targets to hang from a stand that are approximately human sized, to practice in a more realistic manner.

It seems ar500 metal is the standard for this.
-Is it safe to shoot these types of targets from 5-15 yards with up to .45 acp?
-How long will they last?
-Safety considerations?

IPSC steel targets would be right up your alley. So long as you keep them maintained and painted (rust prevention), the targets will probably outlast you. Don't shoot them with anything over what they are rated for. Most competitions using steel targets for handguns will maintain a minimum distance of 7-10 yards, sometimes more to reduce risk of ricochets and splatter. Always use quality eye pro when shooting steel, as you can absolutely get peppered with fragments, even when outside the 7-10 yard minimum. Also, once you start seeing dimples or dents in the steel, it's time for a new target. Dimples or divots can increase the risk of a ricochet and splatter coming back towards the shooter.

IPSC steel targets would be right up your alley. So long as you keep them maintained and painted (rust prevention), the targets will probably outlast you. Don't shoot them with anything over what they are rated for. Most competitions using steel targets for handguns will maintain a minimum distance of 7-10 yards, sometimes more to reduce risk of ricochets and splatter. Always use quality eye pro when shooting steel, as you can absolutely get peppered with fragments, even when outside the 7-10 yard minimum. Also, once you start seeing dimples or dents in the steel, it's time for a new target. Dimples or divots can increase the risk of a ricochet and splatter coming back towards the shooter.

So IPSC made from ar500 material, keep painted with a good rust resistant coat, make sure its rated for atleast .45 and if it becomes damaged, toss it?

For handguns (only), outside of 12 yards you don't even need AR500. I have a swinging plate rack of 3/8 x 8 in. AR500 circles at 15 yds, but I cut my own IPSC targets out of plain old 3/8 mild steel plate and shoot them at 12 yds with anything from .44 mag on down. I have other targets further downrange at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 90 yds, and all of those are made of mild steel as well. Since I was able to cut my own, I just bought scrap plate from the salvage yard and cut what I wanted out of it. I paid .25 a pound for it. None of the targets have ever been damaged by handguns or .22 rifles. I will not shoot them with anything else, though.

Check out mr targets or jc steel, you can buy the targets with stands that are easy takedown. They are angled down so the bullet splash is toward the ground. I have had no problems with mine and they will last forever.

One of our 66% IPSC Econoline targets and a 4x4 post or "T" post bracket should fit your needs.

Econo-Line 66% IPSC

4x4 Post Bracket

Metal Fence "T" Post Bracket

Our prices include shipping and when you buy a target and a bracket we include mounting hardware. Our mounting hardware allows you to adjust the angle of the target for use with rifles or pistols.

So IPSC made from ar500 material, keep painted with a good rust resistant coat, make sure its rated for atleast .45 and if it becomes damaged, toss it?

Yep.

One of our 66% IPSC Econoline targets and a 4x4 post or "T" post bracket should fit your needs.

Econo-Line 66% IPSC

4x4 Post Bracket

Metal Fence "T" Post Bracket

Our prices include shipping and when you buy a target and a bracket we include mounting hardware. Our mounting hardware allows you to adjust the angle of the target for use with rifles or pistols.

Here's your answer. We use Ryan ' s targets at K&M, and they're definitely quality. Bonus, Ryan is a solid guy. Just keep that damn Hexxer target away from me.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

I wish I could use the t post option here, unfortunately here in the desert the ground is hard as a rock so I cannot put the post in the ground.

Check out Wideners selection of AR500 targets, good pricing, good selection.

That's what moveable bases are for.

Yup and that's what I use from mr targets.

Only thing is a base is more expensive than a tpost which is why I wish I could use a tpost especially since I shoot at multiple targets at a time, it adds up.

From MGM 8" (IIRC) circle 14" high. Pivots when hit. AR500 it has endured hundreds of .357 SIg and .357 mag rds with zero issues short of taking paint off.
Highly recommend the MGM products.

MGM dueling tree. An IPSC target gets old pretty quick. TOO large and easy to hit. THIS teaches trigger control and sight alignment, especially at 20 or 25 yds.