• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mils vs MOA vs IPHY Article

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

Do you prefer Mils, MOA or IPHY
    This has to be one of the longest-running debates going. Nobody agrees on the facts, and everyone appears emotionally tied to the choices. Mils vs MOA is not about one system of angular measurement vs the other system, it’s about personal choice and education.

The more you educate yourself on the differences the easier the decision becomes. There are reasons why, and those reasons are often tied to a specific shooting discipline.

If we combine these details with an objective look at our personal shooting, the choices become very clear relatively quickly. When choosing a scope we need to know a few things, your mission, your budget, your experience level, but mostly where do you want to go with it. It’s one thing to shoot alone and manage your equipment its something completely different to be thrown into a situation where the rules are created by someone else. It’s during these times the choices have the biggest impact.

Let’s look at these choices, Millliradians, Minute of Angle and Inch Per Hundred Yards, or Shooter MOA.

One point to clarify,

When you read, Army Mils vs USMC Mils most people believe it is the dots that are different. The Army used the Round and the USMC used the Oval. But the actual difference was 6400 vs 6283

The Army numbers are different because their first scope for the M24 was based on 6400. Leupold used Military Mils vs True Mils so that is where a lot of the confusion between Army Mils and USMC Mils comes from.

Good read. I’m partial to Mils because that’s what I learned on using the M40A3 with the S&B PMII 3-12x. When I was issued a Mk12 with the Leupold mark4 in MOA I could of swore it was like trying to learn another language. I’m sure if I started with MOA though I would of thought Mils was a foreign language.