• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mirage=moa adjustments

raythemanroe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
NY
I have been told you can judge wind speed by the mirage direction is this true? ||| //// =

Re: Mirage=moa adjustments

Mirage is one part of making a wind read. By looking at the angle and/or amplitude, with experiance you can get a pretty good idea of the wind speed and direction at the point of focus. Combine that with other physical indicators like dust, grass, leaves on trees, etc., along with terrain reading of the flow patterns and you make your call. Absent wind flags and sighters, that's pretty much how it's done.

It takes a fair bit of watching the conditions and seeing the results of a shot to get a good feel for it. This is one reason the PR class here at Gunsite is 7 days long and you work as a sniper /spotter team. I'd like to get you as much experiance spotting as actually shooting.

Any kind of formula? |||| is 0 moa //// 1 moa or 2-4 mph = 10 12 mph?

you must remember that the mirage your reading is probably the wind on the ground at the target sight. You have to remember the gradient. And that the wind at the target is not the prevailing wind that will effect your bullet

IMHO mirage is usefull when your shooting allot of rounds. It's easy to see change of direction when looking at a mirage. Its easy to see if the mirage is choppy or consistent. But purely doping the wind off the mirage only , has led me to many missed shots.

like cory said, mirage is best used in combination with other indicators.

Makes sense...Mirage is a rough estimate and then you use prevailing wind to fine tune your dope or estimate?

I'm new to this long range thing (anything over 500y) and gun loads and equipments is pretty much sound but the wind is a bitch on shooting groups..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one reason the PR class here at Gunsite is 7 days long and you work as a sniper /spotter team. I'd like to get you as much experiance spotting as actually shooting. </div></div>

Sounds like a great program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been told you can judge wind speed by the mirage direction is this true? </div></div>

Yes that is true. But you have to understand that everyone's eyes are different and see mirage different. / might be X MPH for me but Y MPH for you.

Take your wind meter and spotting scope to the field. (Don't need a rifle for this excercise).

Take a wind reading, look through the scope, see what the mirage is doing. Take another reading, look through the scope again. Do this during all sorts of wind conditions, from deal calm to winds that wipe our mirage.

Look at the mirage via the scope, make an estimate of the wind value and check your guess with the wind meter.

After a bit, you can get to read mirage fairly well.

Like everything else, it takes practice.

Another method, and one I like but we can't always do it. Go to a larger long range team match and score for one of the better teams. The scorer has to get right next to the coach to compare scores. Focus your scope to read mirage. What for changes and make corrections in your mind. Listen to the coach as he give corrections to his shooter. Compare your est. with the coaches. See what happens.

I shot a 1000 yard match next to the AMU's team that won the match with a 799/800. I scored for the AMU listening to every word the Coach said. I learned a lot about mirage that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to this long range thing (anything over 500y) and gun loads and equipments is pretty much sound but the wind is a bitch on shooting groups.</div></div>

This is a common problem. It gets easier, but it never gets truly easy. This can be proven by watching the other targets during a match; sometimes it can be done, sometimes it can't, and very rarely can it be done perfectly.

Greg

one thing to remember: mirage is easier to see/read with a back drop (object/surface behind it )

scan the field of view for a read at various distances

Would the ambient temperature and color of the surface IE darker surface also come into play with the mirage effect? For example: take a 10 mph full value cross wind with A. 80 degree day shooting over a tan or dessert surface. Or B. 80 degree day shooting over blacktop. The lighter colored surface would be radiating less heat than the blacktop there by making the horizontal movement of the mirage look more extreme. Just a thought, hadn't read anything concerning this.