• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Missouri shooters

Re: Missouri shooters

Hey guys, just found this section of the site! Another long range rookie here completing the final stages of gathering the goods to shoot long distance.

I am not new to firearms, but new to long range shooting. If any of you get together in the kc metro area to go shoot some distance, can I tag along if I am available?? I have a rediculously busy schedule but might be able to make it! I am over in Independence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, just found this section of the site! Another long range rookie here completing the final stages of gathering the goods to shoot long distance.

I am not new to firearms, but new to long range shooting. If any of you get together in the kc metro area to go shoot some distance, can I tag along if I am available?? I have a rediculously busy schedule but might be able to make it! I am over in Independence. </div></div>

You're not too far from where I go to do my long range shooting. It would be nice if we could talk George (GAP) into having a fun shoot at their private range a couple times this warmer weather season. Get a bunch of KC'ers together for some fun times, some shooting, and maybe an outdoor BBQ for good measure.

Is George viewing this thread at all? I doubt he has the time to spend much of what's left to get on the forum.

Branden

I agree Dust_Remover, that would be great! I talked with Jeff from GAP at the last gunshow and he seemed like a real cool dude.. George wasn't there so I didn't get to meet him.

In the mean time if your going to your spot and don't mind a tag along one of these days, I'd love to go along if I can get away!!
laugh.gif

hey yall im near clinton mo and if anyone has some distance theyre wantin to share pm me. im close to the 100 yard conservation range but it gets old quick for rifles.

jetmd and I went out today and got some shooting time in, had a good time, and had some great weather. Couldn't ask for a better time, well, with the exception of the killer mirage that we had.

We only shot at 100, 500 and 700 yards. Would like to have gone further back but the mirage at 700 yards was bad enough as it was, going back much further wouldn't have helped anything.

Wind wasn't terrible, at least we could see what it was doing, but we were going anywhere from 3-6moa of adjustment at 700, and I even went down as low as 1moa 'cause the wind just stopped blowing for a brief bit. When we first started shooting it was easy, 5mph from right, full value. 1moa adjustment, and shoot away and getting good hits right away.

I was hoping we could really stretch the legs, but it wasn't going to happen with the mirage the way it was.

Good time today Chet, look forward to next time!

Branden

Edit: I took my camera out, and didn't take a single second of video..I suck.
frown.gif
lol.

Sounds good.

I was out at lake city today, shooting for the first time since I hurt my shoulder 5 months ago. I am out of practice. Best group was 5/8". Not sure whether it was the injured nerves in the right arm or my poor eyesight or lack of practice. (All 3, but mostly the latter.)

I'll try some dot drills next time and then I'll be ready to go out with y'all.

Had to dodge a mall-ninja and a real talkative guy that evidently has more money than time to shoot all his toys. He was pooping out slugs from an auto shotgun today... he was done for the day and he kept talking into the next firing period until I reminded him I wanted to shoot...
smile.gif

Well, Branden is my new Hero!

Nothing like having the right tools for the job, thanks for plugging in the numbers in your PDA and helping with out...

Now if my Mod 70 only had a trigger like your Savage, it's a wonder I even hit anything.

Thanks for a Great Day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Branden is my new Hero!

Nothing like having the right tools for the job, thanks for plugging in the numbers in your PDA and helping with out...

Now if my Mod 70 only had a trigger like your Savage, it's a wonder I even hit anything.

Thanks for a Great Day! </div></div>

My trigger muscles on my index finger are a little sore, but i'll live, lol. Couple that with my sunburn and it was a productive day!

I was happy to run the numbers for you on the PDA, it was nice that I was right on the money for the velocity, and the drop data that was spat out was right on as well. We just needed to figure out what the crazy ass wind was trying to do to us. Mirage, reading light wind, wind gusting at shooting location, shoot, miss left, not enough wind, shoot again, oh crap look, the wind is going the other way now! lol. It was fun regardless, I was just happy that I finally hit the popper after several very close left and right misses. A 6" target at 700 yards (and even 500 yards) was a good challenge, and a hoot to watch orange,white,orange,white,orange,white as it spun around from the hits.

Branden

Sorry to revive an old thread, however perhaps it needs new life. Can anyone decifer the benchrest club of St Louis' schedule of events? I'd like to attend an f-class match out there, however I can't understand their schedule. It's likely just because i'm not the brightest crayon in the box.

Branden

Hi Branden,

The schedule got complicated because there are so many different ranges to keep track of. The 60 bench range (the first column) sees the most use....

BRRC doesn't hold "official" F-class matches - the Thursday "F-class" matches are "Members only" (you need a key - the gate remains locked), and most shoot from the bench (you can shoot prone w/rest or bipod if you wish). They are held on the 60 bench range, and the two remaining matches are on 6/3 and 7/1.

They might let you shoot with High-power, but you'd best contact the match director to make sure.

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm moving to Lee's Summit in a couple weeks and filing for FFL/SOT licenses soon after
grin.gif
</div></div>
i am an 07 FFL and a class 2 SOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm moving to Lee's Summit in a couple weeks and filing for FFL/SOT licenses soon after
grin.gif
</div></div>

Anything you need to know? What part of town? I've lived in Lee's Summit for 12 years now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm moving to Lee's Summit in a couple weeks and filing for FFL/SOT licenses soon after
grin.gif
</div></div>

Anything you need to know? What part of town? I've lived in Lee's Summit for 12 years now.</div></div>

I have no idea what part of town. My wife and I went on a whirlwind of househunting over two weekends, made an offer on a house, and we close in early June. That's all I know LOL

What's the policy on using public hunting land for plinking? Any good, public long(er) distance ranges in the area?

Plinking or target shooting on public hunting areas is not permitted. There is a public range operated by the Missouri Dept. of Conservation (Lake City Range) not too far that has a 100M range, it's actually over a hill from the Lake City ammunition plant. There are other options if you want to join a private club as there are several around town.

I am a member of a local range (Mill Creek Rifle Club) that has a 300 yd range hopefully going to 500 yds soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plinking or target shooting on public hunting areas is not permitted. There is a public range operated by the Missouri Dept. of Conservation (Lake City Range) not too far that has a 100M range, it's actually over a hill from the Lake City ammunition plant. There are other options if you want to join a private club as there are several around town.

I am a member of a local range (Mill Creek Rifle Club) that has a 300 yd range hopefully going to 500 yds soon.</div></div>
Got it, thanks! How's the competitive pistol shooting scene such as IDPA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plinking or target shooting on public hunting areas is not permitted. There is a public range operated by the Missouri Dept. of Conservation (Lake City Range) not too far that has a 100M range, it's actually over a hill from the Lake City ammunition plant. There are other options if you want to join a private club as there are several around town.

I am a member of a local range (Mill Creek Rifle Club) that has a 300 yd range hopefully going to 500 yds soon. </div></div>

Plinking and target shooting on conservation areas isn't allowed unless it's on a designated range, however areas like Smithville aren't MDC lands, they are public land run by the corps of engineers, and not subject to MDC regulations in regards to MDC conservation area use regulations. Only regulations enforced by MDC are rules pertaining to hunting and fishing, and those are mostly carried out by the park rangers. I have done target shooting at extended ranges on smithville public properties for years, and have come across others doing it, and park rangers have seen me there, and never have told me to stop and that it wasn't allowed. They were always curious as to what I was shooting.

Branden

For those that may be interested, the Big Piney Sportsman's Club will be holding a money shoot on 01 August. It will be a 40 round match. We will shoot 7 rounds each at the 100, 200, 300 ,400 and 500 yard lines. 5 rounds at the 600. The entry fee will be $25.00, the club will get $10.00 and $15.00 will go into the pot. The top four places will take the money, divided on a 40/30/20/10 basis. Start time will be 9:00 am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that may be interested, the Big Piney Sportsman's Club will be holding a money shoot on 01 August. It will be a 40 round match. We will shoot 7 rounds each at the 100, 200, 300 ,400 and 500 yard lines. 5 rounds at the 600. The entry fee will be $25.00, the club will get $10.00 and $15.00 will go into the pot. The top four places will take the money, divided on a 40/30/20/10 basis. Start time will be 9:00 am. </div></div>

So it's going to be run like the f-class events that y'alls run on a regular basis? Sounds like fun!

Branden

I live in Farmington, MO and shoot at the 67 Gun Club. Pistol range and rifle range out to 300 yards. Concrete benches and roof over all stations.

We've been debating the money shoot some more and it looks like we will be shooting out to 700 yards with 5 rounds per 100 yard line for a total of 35 rounds.

Pre-registration is not required for any of our matches, simply show up on match day, register then, and shoot.

I just got the dates for our vacation from the wife, i'll be campin' it up and livin' the good life then. Sorry, won't be able to make it. I've been talking to the wife about me going to some matches soon. We'll see how things are panning out at work. Getting a lot of overtime that I don't want to pass on as I don't know how long it'll last.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My odds of success are increasing with every post...

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Have no fear as I wasn't a threat to begin with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My odds of success are increasing with every post...

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Way to be positive! I'm glad you are trying to help spur the economy with that hard earned cash of yours.

welcome to misery (spelling?) theres a 100 yard conservation and police dept range open to public down here near clinton mo. give me a holla if ya need more info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah
smile.gif
. Most of my hard earned money spurs the Hide economy
laugh.gif
. </div></div>

Any chance you've made any progress finding some folks along the bottoms around the KC area that are willing to allow a lease to setup a range on the property? You had said you were going to work on it in the past, just curious if you had any leads.

Branden

I'd also be very interested in a decent long range place to shoot.

You Know You Guys can Camp at BIG PINEY,Just give us a heads up and we will give you Club House access. Its always worth the Drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Know You Guys can Camp at BIG PINEY,Just give us a heads up and we will give you Club House access. Its always worth the Drive. </div></div>

I love shooting with you guys, just wish you were closer!

Here are some pics of last outing at a place we shoot sometimes.
Got out to 650 throuh the gap in the trees. can go to 1200 but cattle were in that pasture and hay was up.

43de31e8.jpg

just stopped raining so we laid out the tarp
b7ac6af2.jpg

N-Train on the AR
1701a36c.jpg

Nope. They are long gone
smile.gif
. That 308 is my favorite shooter. I need to round up another thousand or two. just been shooting the 260 in past couple months. I've been talked into doing a 243 so I'll be spending a little time loading for it.

hmmmm, that's a lot of shooting!

Wonder if I could get in on that "place we shoot sometimes"

I have been shooting about 5k a year. Bullet are hard to keep up with
smile.gif
. I'm sure you can get in if you want. We just don't know when we are going to be there till last minute. Everybody has different schedules.

Got back from Big Piney a little while ago. This was the first tactical match I'd shot. Shot a couple of their F-class shoots last fall. Had a good time. As with my previous experiences there, a good group of guys.

Since I was shooting a .22-250 Rem, it put me in the light tactical division. As there were only 3 of 31 shooters using .22 caliber or smaller rifles, it was easy to place in the top 3!

Natty were you the guy from California Mo?

I'm the guy in the polaris ranger. I got 2nd in the lite tac. That mirage was intense and was a tough one to learn to shoot in. I had never shot in mirage like that so it was rough. I adjusted for a 600 dope at the 500 mark so needless to say I missed those hahaha

Sounds like i need to get a van and pick people up along the way from KC to big piney. Looks like a good time. I wish there were some better ranges this way but they either suck, have kids running around, or are way out of my price range. Spent to much time over seas when i should have been schmoozing old farmers so i could shoot on there land.

Anything going on the 17th of July in Missouri? I can be anywhere inside of about a 4hr radius from St Louis. I'd be looking for anything 500+ yards. I'd be shooting my GAP Crusader .308 with PH 5-25 and can bring extra ammo
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything going on the 17th of July in Missouri? I can be anywhere inside of about a 4hr radius from St Louis. I'd be looking for anything 500+ yards. I'd be shooting my GAP Crusader .308 with PH 5-25 and can bring extra ammo
smile.gif
</div></div>
www.bigpineysportsmansclub.com/