• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Missouri shooters

Re: Big Piney 9/27 shoot

With the exception of one item, next year's schedule for the Big Piney Sportsman's Club is done. I'll have copies of it printed up so you guys can pick one up at next weekend's match. If you don't make it, I can always PM or e-mail one to you.

The new site looks great! I'll bookmark it so I can reference it later!

See you on th 18th! Hopefully i'll do much better this time. Results today show much more promise.

Branden

Website looks great! I'm planning to come out to the match this weekend, see you all there...

Shawn

Its a bit of a drive but I think I will have to start coming down to the matches.
I had no idea there were so many scheduled events there!!

I am headed to the Big Piney match in the morning.

Anybody know if I will have time to zero if I show up about 8:00, or is the range down until the comp starts?

Last time was the first time I was there, and another shooter did zero his rifle just a little before 8 and it didn't seem that it was an issue. The 100 yard range is off to the side away from the long range that we'll be shooting on. I'm going to be there a little after 7, and i'll be zeroing my rifle just to make sure that it's shooting where I want it to shoot at the 100 when the match starts. Last time I had a big fiasco at 100, and don't want that to happen again.

Branden

Hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone that posted about the Big Piney matches. I had a great time today. It is a great facility and the match ran smoothly.

I enchorage anyone who has not gone to try to get to a match, they are informal and well run.

I will post a couple of pics tommorrow.

Thanks again,

Brian (I was shooting the big ass 6.5 Creedmoor).

We appreciate you coming to the matches. It's not a problem if you show up early to check your zero's. I'm usually there between 6:00 and 6:30 to start getting the range set up. If the gate is open, come on in and shoot. Also, if you would like to try out the 2-gun course, but don't have the time after the rifle match, you can show up early and shoot it. You need a minimum of 40 rounds of rifle and 18 rounds of handgun ammo. You can use either centerfire or rimfire.

I plan on shooting my 1903 at the next F-Class to see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We appreciate you coming to the matches. It's not a problem if you show up early to check your zero's. I'm usually there between 6:00 and 6:30 to start getting the range set up. If the gate is open, come on in and shoot. Also, if you would like to try out the 2-gun course, but don't have the time after the rifle match, you can show up early and shoot it. You need a minimum of 40 rounds of rifle and 18 rounds of handgun ammo. You can use either centerfire or rimfire.

I plan on shooting my 1903 at the next F-Class to see how it does. </div></div>

Great turn out at the last match! I was planning to run the 2 gun course after the match, but with the big turn out we went too late for me to do it. I'll probably start running it before the rifle match, I didn't know that was an option.

It was neat to see all the great gear Sunday, and lots of people shot really well. I got some good data for my rifle and loads, so hopefully next time I come out I'll fare much better.

Shawn

Re: Missouri shooters

Ive been out to Big Piney. Its easy to find and a very nice set up. For all around the southcentral parts of MO, Id say give it a look see.

howdy

Is there anywhere in SW Mo that I can get out past 100 yds.? I need to work on my fundamentals, but 100 yds. gets boring fast. It would be nice just to get out to 200-250 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anywhere in SW Mo that I can get out past 100 yds.? I need to work on my fundamentals, but 100 yds. gets boring fast. It would be nice just to get out to 200-250 yds. </div></div>

Where are you at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you at? </div></div>

Nixa, just south of Springfield.

I wish they had something like Big Piney that was really close to KC. Bucksnort is about the closest thing, and I haven't made it out there yet. I hear they have a 600 yard range, but it's still just over 1hr drive east.

Branden

All,

Thought I would use this thread to do an introduction. I have been lurking around the site for a while soaking up the info. I have been around guns my entire life hunting and target shooting but have not had a chance to do any long range precision shooting. Well, I now have the urge so I intend on purchasing my first rig soon.

Our family farm is across the river from Bucknsnort. When you turn left off UU to go to Bucksnort, if you turn right instead and go over the bridge, that is our family farm where I grew up. I currently live in St. Louis and my girlfriend lives in KC so I am close to some of you Missouri guys most of the time...just depends on what part of the state I am in!

Once I get set up I would be up for shooting with some of you guys if you get a meet going...if you are ok with dealing with a rookie.
smile.gif

sounds great kcshooter. Once I get up and running I will take you up on that. If we both grew up in Marshall...we may already know each other. lol. PM on the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muchos Pistolas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...if you are ok with dealing with a rookie.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Nothing wrong with being a rookie, we all started as rookies. Teaching new shooters is always fun.

Branden

Pistolas,

I'm afraid you got the impression we actually know what the hell we're doing! You are welcome to embarrass yourself with us anytime you'd like.

jeff

im near clinton mo and seems like round here folks either got it and dont wanna share or dont got it and trying to find it or dodging some old man's cattle for it.

I've become quit the expert at embarassing myself. Mistaking my cold weather data for my warm weather data, and vise versa. Shooting on the wrong target, starting off with my elevation turret one revolution too low or high, thinking I've got the wind figured out, etc. But, it's still a lot of fun.

Thought you guys might enjoy this. My son and I killed them Wednesday night. Both were close up head shots. The rifle was a Marlin 1894 cowboy model in .357 magnum. The bullet was a Hornady 158 grain XTP chronographed at 1,555 fps. They dropped like a sledgehammer hit them, then they flopped around for a minute or so. The boar (the one in the leaves) is being turned into breakfast sausage. We gave the sow to my ex as there wasn't any room in the freezer for her.

100_0299.jpg

100_0297.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We gave the sow to my ex as there wasn't any room in the freezer for her.</div></div>
The ex? or the sow?
smile.gif

Good shooting.

Once the ever allow suppressor hunting in MO, I'm going to have to shoot some sausage.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've become quit the expert at embarassing myself. </div></div>

That will be me tomorrow - haven't re-sighted in the scope since it was re-stocked, and I've not shot this rifle nor this load oast 100 meters.

Going to shoot pumpkins tomorrow, though.......

Where bouts in Missouri did you kill the hogs. We have had sightings in Miller and Maries County but I have not seen any around where we hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought you guys might enjoy this. My son and I killed them Wednesday night. Both were close up head shots. The rifle was a Marlin 1894 cowboy model in .357 magnum. The bullet was a Hornady 158 grain XTP chronographed at 1,555 fps. They dropped like a sledgehammer hit them, then they flopped around for a minute or so. The boar (the one in the leaves) is being turned into breakfast sausage. We gave the sow to my ex as there wasn't any room in the freezer for her.

100_0299.jpg

100_0297.jpg
</div></div>

Just to the west of Licking in Texas County. I've also killed them near where the Phelps, Texas and Pulaski County lines meet. My son, one of his brother-in-laws and I killed about 20 this past summer where we got these two. They make for some pretty good eating.

The farm I hunt is split in half by the Miller and Maries county line. Only about 9 miles north of the Pulaski county line. Sounds like they aren't too far away and probably only a matter of time. We have a Amish farm that touches ours and they are always out and it would seem to me that these could mix in with the wild population and explode in numbers. He doesn't have any of his pig herd tagged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to the west of Licking in Texas County. I've also killed them near where the Phelps, Texas and Pulaski County lines meet. My son, one of his brother-in-laws and I killed about 20 this past summer where we got these two. They make for some pretty good eating. </div></div>

I just head about this and thought that I would throw this out there for all us Missouri shooters to remind us all that safety is of the upmost importance, and having a solid backstop, or at least knowing where the bullet may go should be on your mind before you break the sear on that trigger sending the bullet on it's path.

This article is from the KC Star of a women out on a country drive here in Missouri when she was struck by a stray bullet.

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1555811.html

Remember ladies and gentlemen, safety needs to be your number 1 concern. Stories like this give the anti's more fuel for the fire.

Branden

wow that is just scary. and a reminder to always know were your bullet will go before you pull the trigger.

Got another one tonight. It was a boar that is maybe a bit larger than the two hogs we killed last Wednesday. My son shot this one in the head with a .22-250 using a 55 grain Sierra BTS Gameking bullet. I'm going to see about having it made into summer sausage.

I picked up the brats yesterday and cooked some last night for supper. They were pretty good. We got 160 brats (40 lbs) out of that pig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anywhere in SW Mo that I can get out past 100 yds.? I need to work on my fundamentals, but 100 yds. gets boring fast. It would be nice just to get out to 200-250 yds. </div></div>
I live North West of Springfield about 5 miles. I can shoot 250 now, working on 300. I need to cut down some trees. PM me or send me an email if you would like to come out some time. --Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a shout when you guys hit the Marshall range. </div></div>

I don't know if i'll be heading out there at all. I have a location just east of KC that let's me get out to 1100yards and then some. Granted it's private land, we drive to the targets rather than walk which is nice.

Perhaps sometime you'll be able to join srv656s and I when we go out there again. Not sure when we'll go again, we both are busy this time of year and getting openings in our schedules at the same time is a rare incident.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ....I have a location just east of KC that let's me get out to 1100yards and then some. .....Perhaps sometime you'll be able to join srv656s and I when we go out there again. Not sure when we'll go again, ...</div></div>

That's right. Tease us.

After the pumpkin shoot, I am hankering to get out past 400 yards..... I need to work up the dope on my rifle out to 600 yards or more.....

Someone in KC needs to open a longer shooting range.

You guys going to be working the Friday after turkey day? Likely not, but I thought i'd ask. I've been wanting to come down there one day and just say hi and beg for a part time job doing something for once)for an industry that i'm interested in!

I'm not going to be planning another trip out until after all the firearms deer seasons are over which will be Dec 6. After that i'm just hoping that the weather is decent, and dry. If it rains, we'll have to have 4x4 to get in and out without hiccups.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a shout when you guys hit the Marshall range. </div></div>

Todd, I will let you know when I make it to Marshall to do some shooting. kcshooter and I are going to get together when our schedules match. We bought another farm just across the river from Bucksnort last week so we may be able to stretch out past 600 yards if I can get something set up.
Sidenote: I checked out the thread of your work-impressive. very impressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it rains, we'll have to have 4x4 to get in and out without hiccups.

Branden </div></div>

We can handle that.
grin.gif

I can get five in and out with gear strapped to the top.

This would be a great week to go were it not for the doe only season that continues until the 6th of December. That place has several deer hunters out there including the owner so I don't think that doing some long range shooting would be a go until after the season is over. I'll PM you guys whenever i'm planning another trip out there and we'll get our schedules in sync.

Branden