• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Missouri shooters

Re: Missouri shooters

For the last 3 weeks I have been a cripple, but a cortizone shot yesterday may have me up and running in a couple of days. just in time for the cold weather. My shoulder is getting close to pain-free. Hopefully I'll be in good shape by the time folks go shooting. I am really like the Sandstorm I added to my 700.

Getting old kinda sucks at times. the nerve damage is getting so bad I traded my lat forty-something carry piece for a 9mm. Can't hold on as well any more. Getting worthless and weak......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is everyone going to get together and shoot? We are running out of decent weather! </div></div>

The next couple weeks are bad for me-I am heading to Mexico.

kcshooter-how did you do during deer season?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not worth a shit! Are you coming back from mexico? You didn't kill someone did you? </div></div>

I didn't hear of anyone doing too well around Marshall.

Yep, I'll be back. This is just a standard issue vacation.
smile.gif

Any SW Missouri Shooters out there? They are building a indoor range in Ozark.. Looks to be completed in July 2010. I asked them if they were going to shoot monthly action shooting matches and they said they might. Just a heads up, Also still looking for somewhere to shoot past 300 yards in SW MO area. Thanks. I hate traveling all the way to Kansas to burn up ammo. -- Thanks Brandon

you should check out Big Piney, in Houston MO. Nice range up to 800 yards. next tatical shoot should be on the 13th.

Howdy

What is the best way to get to Big Piney (Houston, MO) from Springfield? Looked it up on Google, both routes look sorry. I am not sure if I will go this month. Turns out I am kind of a fair weather shooter. -Thanks Brandon

<span style="font-style: italic">What is the best way to get to Big Piney (Houston, MO) from Springfield?</span>

Take Hwy 60 east to Cabool. From Cabool, take Hwy 63 north to Houston. Go all the way through Houston. Once you are at the north end of Houston, take Hwy B to the right towards Raymondville.

I had a great time at the match, great people and not a bad Drive. I now know I need to practice on positional shooting, cold bore data. Thanks

Good to hear that you had a good time. This is a fun way to see how well your gear, and you, shoots. We hope to see you again.

Can't wait to make it up next time. I had a good time and conversed with several guys that gave me some pointers.

We need to find a spot close to KC that's all ours. I have a couple
of places around Marshall but it's a drive from here.
We hit Bucksnort last weekend. Had a good day but as it warms up, the range will get crowded.
We need to find a spot in the bottoms and lease it. I am going to make a few calls. If I can lock down the right spot, Id like to start hosting matches.
I plan to hit Big Piney some this summer but it's 4+hrs from my house.

The bottoms would be great as those levees make great backstops. I have a spot, however I seriously doubt that the owner would lease it out to shooters, for now it's just me, and whoever I take. I'm headed out on Saturday, I need to see the condition of the access road and see if the snow tore it up real bad, I want to get some shooting in before the spring planting season when i'll stay away. 30calsniper, if you ever want to go shooting, let me know, I could use a little instruction. I believe there's something i'm doing wrong, I just don't have the ability to go outside my own body and watch myself make the mistake.

Branden

I would love to find a dedicated spot that's good for long range shooting in KC. Big Piney's great, but it's definitely not close. 30calsniper, if you set up some matches in KC, I would LOVE to go. I'd go to Big Piney more if it was closer.

Shawn

I went out to Hellbenders down by Lebanon today and had a blast! I got to shoot my ar out to 400 yards and made 2 hits out of 10! I couldn't believe it when the first shot was called about a foot high but great left/right. The sound of the steel once hit was sweet though! I think he said the target was 18"wx20"t so while not the smallest it was still torso sized.

This was done with a free floated 16" Armalite barreled ar15 with eotech shooting federal bulk pack 55 grain from walmart. I got a 1.5" 5 shot group at 50. I can't wait to work up a load for this gun and try it more still with eotech. This was the first time I ever had a target that was achievable past about 200 yards. This longer range stuff was AWESOME!

THANK YOU BRAD!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to find a dedicated spot that's good for long range shooting in KC. Big Piney's great, but it's definitely not close. 30calsniper, if you set up some matches in KC, I would LOVE to go. I'd go to Big Piney more if it was closer.

Shawn </div></div>

Too bad you can't go out with me tomorrow, you're going to miss out. The weather is going to be questionable, rain possible, wind difficult to read, perfect day for shooting long range!

Branden

I went out today, by myself. When I go to shoot long range, I think i'm not going to do it again by myself, it's kinda a pain in the butt trying to spot your own rounds with a 10x scope. I had invited 2 folks, but they backed out short notice (no biggie, things happen).

I'll post some video whenever I get some put together.

Branden

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCZlouqEGYA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCZlouqEGYA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Here's a little video, it's going to take me a while to get something decent together, so I cut this clip out just to put something moderately interesting up.

I had to create a new youtube channel as my old one is from my old company, i'll likely roll over the videos to the new one, and delete the old one. Hope you like it..a little.

Branden

Branden, With an "E"... Where do you go shooting at? I live just North of Springfield. KC is a pretty good clip for me, but I would like to try to come up there one of these days and shoot some steel. I have a range in my back yard but can only get 300 yards, My 3" pistol tree has been worked over pretty hard from 300 with my rifles, need something a bit longer. --Thanks, Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Branden, With an "E"... Where do you go shooting at? I live just North of Springfield. KC is a pretty good clip for me, but I would like to try to come up there one of these days and shoot some steel. I have a range in my back yard but can only get 300 yards, My 3" pistol tree has been worked over pretty hard from 300 with my rifles, need something a bit longer. --Thanks, Brandon </div></div>

I have some private land that I go to just east of KC about 25minutes from my house, and i'm up by Liberty pretty close. We can get out to 1200 yards, perhaps almost 1300, however we'd by sitting right at an intersection. It's gravel road, but I don't know the legalities of shooting within' that close of a gravel road. Another complication is that there are high voltage power lines running across the shooting lane 400 yards from the target. The elevation of the bullet at that range is a concern of mine. I don't know exactly how high the lines are, i've estimated at 20' at a minimum. I've tried to get the laser rangefinder to get a reading off the thick wires to no avail, i believe I got a reading once of either 16 or 18yards, I can't remember, but I don't think it was accurate. I sure hope that it's more like 40' or so, that would be nice.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssfSKLmAoOc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssfSKLmAoOc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

There's another video I put up, you can see the power lines. If there are any of you that are engineers with a lot of free time on your hands, and have the ability to use very complicated calculus formulas to get me a approximate height of the wires, it would be much appreciated. They are 300yards in front of me.

Branden

those lines must be more than 20 ft. No farmer in his right mind would let them hang that low with him driving tractors under it.

I spent many hours some time back looking for any type of state or federal documentation listing the requirements for high voltage power line clearance. I found some documentation, but it was limited to lower voltage residential type lines. There was a formula that you use if you know the voltage of the lines to determine the state required minimum clearance distance, however I can't find the documentation now (not going to spend another 1/2day again), but like I said, it only pertained to residential lines, not high voltage lines like the ones I shoot under.

The eerie thing about being under those lines when i'm out there, is that you can hear them buzzing over your head, you can just hear the power running through them. As thick as the lines are, I seriously doubt that a single hit from the .308 is going to break the line, let along cause significant damage, but i'm not going to take the risk regardless. I still would like to know the clearance, and it's not something that you can take a ladder and a tape measure up to, unless you're hoping for a Darwin Award.

Branden

Sorry guys. Do not mean to get off the topic at hand. What is the closest place to St. Louis to go look at quality optics? Night force S&B scopes like that. Midway seems to be my closest place. Any place in the St. Louis area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys. Do not mean to get off the topic at hand. What is the closest place to St. Louis to go look at quality optics? Night force S&B scopes like that. Midway seems to be my closest place. Any place in the St. Louis area? </div></div>
midway does not have a retail showroom...so i would not consider that. i grew up in st. louis and have never seen one of the scopes you are talking about in any gunshops. the best place with everything under oneroof is the SHOT show. but you missed it this year. try again next year.

Damn I am looking to check out some new glass before I buy it. Just don't want to take a hit on price if I do not like it and have to sell. But thanks that saved me a trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn I am looking to check out some new glass before I buy it. Just don't want to take a hit on price if I do not like it and have to sell. But thanks that saved me a trip. </div></div>

Is Dunn's Sporting Goods still in business in St. Charles? I used to go there all the time when I lived near there. That was back in '02 though. They used to have a lot of good stuff there, but i'm not sure if they carry the high end stuff that folks like us prefer to use.

Branden

Dunn's is long gone in St.Charles. They are still down in Pevely Mo. Grafs In Mexico Mo. has a show room now I hear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dunn's is long gone in St.Charles. They are still down in Pevely Mo. Grafs In Mexico Mo. has a show room now I hear. </div></div>
yes they do...but they don't sell high end optics. unless you consider leupold high end.

Dunns is no longer around in St. Charles. My friends dad knows them. I had him check on some for me. But they have to be ordered. So no just going to check them out. But thanks guys. I would probably be happy with what ever higher end scope I purchase. Just scared to dump so much cash and not be happy.

You almost have to buy used. That way, if you hate it, you can get most of your money back.

That said, about the only option anyone has for checking out high end gear is to go to a comp and see if anyone is running what you are interested in. That or buy it and try it.

I am running a PR that you can check out if you are around the Lake of the Ozarks area. I will most likely be at the next tactical match at Big Piney match in April. You often see Nightforces, USOs and Leupies there also.

I will have to check that out. I would like to shoot some comps. But I do not get a chance to get out past a 100 yards much. My family has property I can probably get out to 300 yards. It has huge sand dunes left over from the flood of 93. Would they be a safe back stop for shooting? They are at least around 50 foot tall.

jrb, there is a gunshow at the St.Charles Convention Center this weekend. Never know what you'll find there. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x if you want to see it.

I didn't know there was a show this weekend. Thanks. And thanks for the offer. I want to sell off my cheaper optics and have just one real nice scope I'll change from rifle to rifle.

Went to the show today. It was better than most I have been to lately. But no High end optics. There was a ton of cheap optics. 50 cal with I wont even mention the name of the scope. I hate seeing post about them. I do not think St. Louis has any place to go look at quality optic needs.

I have three tables at the show,had a real good day. Never know what you will find there.

jetmd and I linked up today and did a little shooting, got a little muddy, and got rained on a little, but had a good time. jetmd hit a mysterious exploding rock, had me thinking for a split second that he was shooting raufoss or API! Made a pretty good size puff of blueish smoke and a good boom to boot. I do know that he was NOT in fact doing so, but it sure was a strange occurrence.

Got my zero on my 175smk/varget load, and shot some good groups. Didn't take any pics, just thought i'd get a shout out that jetmd is a good guy.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, I'm still looking for somewhere within an hour of KC that lets you shoot prone. And past 250 yards........ </div></div>

Bucksnort Shooting Club. Between Marshall and I-70, about 4 miles East of US-65.
600 yards with pits. Berms @ 200-300-600.

Best regards,
Swampy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to their site once, but I was under the impression that they were only really open during matches. Is that the case, or do they have hours in which anyone (or just members) can come in and setup targets at extended ranges and shoot?

Branden </div></div>

Members have full access to the range at any time when matches are not in progress.

Best regards,
Swampy

Branden and I had a very good shooting session yesterday.

Thanks Branden for giving me the opportunity to puts some round down with your Savage, a very nice stick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anywhere in SW Mo that I can get out past 100 yds.? I need to work on my fundamentals, but 100 yds. gets boring fast. It would be nice just to get out to 200-250 yds. </div></div>

weevil,

Springfield BR Rifle Club @ Billings. Berms out to 300 yd.

Best regards,
Swampy

I went to the show on Saturday. I was very crowded but, I thought it was pretty good. As always lots of collectibles and guns were plenty but priced pretty high. I bought some .380 and .45 ammo and a Don Hume holster for my new Sig P238 I bought when I was at The Lake of the Ozarks last weekend.

Even the ATF had a table at the show, first time I've seen that. Made enough selling old junk to buy a KAHR CW9 and a Don Hume holster too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackdaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like how long it took after you hear the shot for that milk jug to blow.. </div></div>

If you like that, go to my YouTube channel and watch the 1,000 yard shooting, you'll really like the delay there! lol.

Branden

Hey Branden, let me know the next time you go. I'd like to see how far I can shoot my CZ accurately.