• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 13 Mod 0 stock

I’d like to share my mk13 mod 0, finally got around to painting the scope. Built by RWS. And a lot of guys in this forum helped me immensely to get all the correct details. Again thank you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
7FAD7487-EDB0-4186-AB5B-9A40ECE15B28.jpeg

Attachments

• F677C0C8-A58B-422E-B9DA-9169E55C3E6B.jpeg
    F677C0C8-A58B-422E-B9DA-9169E55C3E6B.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 120
I stopped by the NRA museum in VA for a quick visit last weekend. (I had not been there since before the pandemic). Here's a few pictures from their movie section, including the replica Mk 13 Mod 3 used in American Sniper. (Also shown is the famous M16 from the movie Scarface)

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

KAC suppressor is obscured by the book, but I took a picture if it's reflection from the mirror on back of display case.
American_Sniper_Mk_13_Mod_3_suppressor.jpg

...if only I could find a MK 11 suppressor for sale at a reasonable price, I'd be all set....

Why were there two bolts?
Rebuild

His COA is also completely unique, it's the only certificate I ever wrote that had 2 serial numbers for the stock. Some other stocks have more than 1 serial number, but I put the most recent one as the serial number on the COA. It was a special request to include both serial numbers on that COA, especially since he had both matching bolts, so I happily wrote them both on the certificate.

Why were there two bolts?
The barrel on the rifle ending in 5518 was most likely shot out, and the rifle was sent back to Crane for a rebuild. The gunsmiths at maintenance and overhaul disassembled the rifle and reused the stock for a barreled action with a serial ending in 5561. I've been through that building at Crane a few times and have seen wooden racks of barreled actions waiting to be fit to stocks. Last time I was there they were working Mk15 Mod 1s. When things are worked in batches, it's common for the receiver to end up with a different stock.

@USMCSGT0331 was nice enough to serialize the certificate with both numbers on it. I really appreciate that.

The barrel on the rifle ending in 5518 was most likely shot out, and the rifle was sent back to Crane for a rebuild. The gunsmiths at maintenance and overhaul disassembled the rifle and reused the stock for a barreled action with a serial ending in 5561. I've been through that building at Crane a few times and have seen wooden racks of barreled actions waiting to be fit to stocks. Last time I was there they were working Mk15 Mod 1s. When things are worked in batches, it's common for the receiver to end up with a different stock.

@USMCSGT0331 was nice enough to serialize the certificate with both numbers on it. I really appreciate that.

You have one of the best Mk13 stocks I had, it's pretty amazing to have both of those bolts with it! I'm glad we put both numbers on the COA, small details like that really help with documenting history and preserving it for future generations.

What's your plan with the parts? Keep them as is? Build them into a clone rifle? Send them back to me, so I can add them back to my collection? ;)

You have one of the best Mk13 stocks I had, it's pretty amazing to have both of those bolts with it! I'm glad we put both numbers on the COA, small details like that really help with documenting history and preserving it for future generations.

What's your plan with the parts? Keep them as is? Build them into a clone rifle? Send them back to me, so I can add them back to my collection? ;)
I need to hunt down either a C666, E667, or C681 action for it. There are a small handful of Mod 0s at the schoolhouse at Crane with those serials that have laser engraved bolts with the same letter spacing as the two bolts I have. After that, I'll be sending it to RWS.

I need to hunt down either a C666, E667, or C681 action for it. There are a small handful of Mod 0s at the schoolhouse at Crane with those serials that have laser engraved bolts with the same letter spacing as the two bolts I have. After that, I'll be sending it to RWS.
How does a fellow acquire neat stuff from Crane? Legally!

The Mod 0 remains one of my favorite magnums to shoot. This outing was mainly smacking the 1250 silhouette with boring regularity. Ammo used was Sig contract 248 (190s)
C681 with all the trimmings sitting in a TU2/TF Bruiser (Ramadi) marked surplus case.
View attachment 8161383View attachment 8161385
Absolutely beautiful! And a full kit too! Well done!

loving the updates in here. Don't know if I ever posted these two. @RWSGunsmithing built the mk13-3 with the barrel collar work done by @crazynoto

View attachment 8161501View attachment 8161502View attachment 8161503View attachment 8161504
Absolutely amazing rifles, they are perfect! This page has brought back a lot of memories for me, I definitely recognize that used McMillan A2 stock! It's great that you left the Kick-EEZ recoil pad on there too, instead of swapping it out with a recoil pad that originally came with the stock! The Kick-EEZ pad is pretty large, definitely an odd oversized piece of gear, but that's straight up luxuriousness at it's finest!

For those who don't know, some SEAL snipers swapped out the original butt pad with one of these Kick-EEZ shotgun pads. You have to remember that the original Mk13 Mod 0's had no muzzle device, so no muzzle brake and/or silencer to reduce recoil. Even though the SEALs are pretty tough guys, the recoil impulse from shooting a ton of .300 Win Mag ammo in a short amount of time (i.e. target rich environment) would wear them out. This led some SEAL snipers to pursue recoil reduction solutions.

The cheapest and easiest way for the sniper to modify his rifle was to just swap the harder butt pad with a softer one. Their new pillow butt pad worked pretty well, and more SEALs started using the Kick-EEZ pads. Even though the pad is a little oversized and sort of ridiculous looking, it was a lot better than the original butt pad.

I wish I took inventory of how many stocks out of the group of 155 stocks had the Kick-EEZ pad installed. I would guess a few dozen, they were uncommon, but not necessarily rare. When given a group of stocks to choose from, most collectors would constantly and consistently turn down the stock with the Kick-EEZ recoil pad (unless the stock was painted and had a matching MIRS rail, all the painted stocks sold very quickly). I thought this was interesting observation, pretty much 100% of the time (all things being equal) collectors would choose a stock that was in, stock configuration. However, I've been told by some collectors that sessions at a square range were much more enjoyable with a rifle that had a soft, thick Kick-EEZ pad on it.

I personally like the stocks that had the butt pads swapped out. We usually see paint as the most common rifle customization, followed closely by the sniper choosing a few different accessories (sling, bipod, etc.). These individual customizations done by the sniper who was issued the rifle are what truly makes these stocks interesting. There's a lot of history and character in custom paint and modifications, and each change has a function behind it that allows us to better understand how each sniper rifle was employed.

For example, certain paint colors and patterns can give us a hint as to where that sniper rifle was used. A lot of FDE paint probably means the rifle spent some time in an Iraqi desert. Whereas green paint with some leaf stencils would suggest use in a lush forested region. The butt pad change can tell us more about the type of Mk13 it was used on. The Kick-EEZ would have been nice to use on a Mod 0, but maybe not strictly necessary for use on a Mod 3, since that Mk13 variant has a silencer (which can help reduce recoil). The used bipods can also share some of the rifle's history. Check your used bipods for different types of materials, anything from rich dark soil, to brown dirt, to talcum powder fine "moon dust." Different ground material, different areas of operation.

These stocks, accessories and even the cases can tell us an unbelievable amount of information about these rifles, the snipers who used them, and approximately where the rifles were used. And changes like the Kick-EEZ recoil pad are a very personal touch that brings us a little closer to the sniper who made the modification. This is living history that we get to study, experience and appreciate. We can take 2 Mk13's, 1 with an original recoil pad and 1 with a Kick-EEZ recoil pad, and shoot them side-by-side in order to compare their effectiveness.

We can test these things out, and it gives us a clear picture of why these changes were made and what these changes actually feel like. We can see how effective their custom painted camouflage is in different environments. We can try out their hand made ISO mat muzzle covers to see how well they worked. We can figure out what scope was used with the stock just by looking at the dope card! If the dope card has mils, it could be one type of scope, if the scope is in moa, it could be another type of scope. We know which scopes were issued overall, but the dope cards can really help us narrow down the options. And once we figure out which scope was originally paired with that specific stock, together on a Mk13 sniper rifle, we can take it to the range and shoot the actual dope that the sniper had recorded years ago! What a fantastic way to test out and enjoy a legendary piece of American military history!

All of the customizations and modifications that were done by each sniper helps to tell the story of that rifle. Even though we're not SEAL snipers, we can gain a better understanding of their thought process and environment they were operating in. And we can actually take these rifles out and shoot them! This is truly interactive history, and every single person in this thread who has built a clone rifle from one of these stocks gets to experience a piece of this amazing military history! There's a lot of different stocks and builds out there, and each one has it's own story to tell. It would be amazing to do a clone shoot with a few dozen of these rifles together on the firing line. That would really give us a nice large sample size to study and experience.

Sorry for the long post, but these are some of my random thoughts. These stocks are absolutely amazing pieces of history, and they have a lot to tell us..... if we're willing to listen.

Thank you everyone who's posted their parts and/or complete Mk13 builds. I really enjoy checking this thread from time to time and seeing all of the stocks that we've been able to document and preserve.

@Frank Green, please take a look at Marco's first photo, the Accuracy International clone build. Is this one of the 60 AI rifles that we were discussing yesterday? I think it's the same rifle we talked about, hopefully you can verify if it is or isn't. Please shoot me a text when you check it out, I'm really curious to hear what you think!

Last edited:
@Frank Green, please take a look at Marco's first photo, the Accuracy International clone build. Is this one of the 60 AI rifles that we were discussing yesterday? I think it's the same rifle we talked about, hopefully you can verify if it is or isn't. Please shoot me a text when you check it out, I'm really curious to hear what you think!
I reaching out to one of the guys that ran the unit to see if he has a picture of any of the guns.

I do know and can confirm that all the stock sides where green in color though...not tan/FDE when they got delivered but that doesn't mean someone painted over them etc...

The replacement barrels we made where in 338 Lapua and converted/reconfigured the guns from 300wm to 338 Lapua. I looked up the order and we shipped them in May 2009. That was the main order and there where two other orders for the same type of barrels that shipped in July and Aug of 2011. That would bring the total to 55 barrels but not sure if that is the number of total rifles.

The 338 barrels finished at 27" and we made 28" contoured blanks. We didn't flute the barrels. I'm not sure if the barrels got fluted after they left here or if they where installed as unfluted barrels on the rifles.

I'll see what I can find out.

Later, Frank

Reactions: baker72
It was just confirmed to me....

and I quote, "The AI rifles got turned in and got destroyed after we fielded the MSR rifles." No pictures of them but second person confirmed that they had green furniture/skins on them.

I'm totally bumming! :(

Later, Frank

• Angry
Reactions: USMCSGT0331
It was just confirmed to me....

and I quote, "The AI rifles got turned in and got destroyed after we fielded the MSR rifles." No pictures of them but second person confirmed that they had green furniture/skins on them.

I'm totally bumming! :(

Later, Frank
You talking about one of these?

241308456_612995896533124_893888636238910394_n.jpg

my Sand color rifle is built as a clone of these -

Screenshot_20211231-092529.jpeg
8970e54e86c77e06faed27d9a2d44426.jpg
5AD5116E-EBF1-4E70-B152-9C9EC7B2B0F3_1_105_c.jpeg
signal-2021-10-28-103310_001.jpeg

they also had 338 LM ones in tan -
83784277_507661990165598_23041271182393344_o.jpg

and AI Coverts
2d8be96aef41b386ce9518ab4365d9b0.jpg

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
All these pics of AI chassis remind me of some unique British sniper rifles, in particular their Special Forces CTSR (Counter Terrorism Sniper Rifles).
Source: The British Sniper: A Century of Evolution (2018), by Steven Houghton

L118A1-A2_data_v2.jpg

Btitish_L118A1_profile.jpg

I just talked to Chris Higgins about the "Mk13 Mod 3" that's up for auction at the CMP right now. He said that it's not currently a Mk13, it's not a prototype Mk13, and it's not in any sort of fielded Mk13 configuration. This rifle was built from original Mk13 parts (Mod 0/3 receiver, Mod 3 bolt, Mod 5 chassis, sorta kinda Mod 7 barrel) and was used exclusively to test silencers for the Mod 7 contract.

This is not a Mod 7 prototype, this is a purpose built rifle that used original Mk13 parts, and was only used to test silencers. There were others like it built, so it's not a unique example. Chris definitely leaned on the fact that even though the parts are Mk13, the rifle itself is not a Mk13 and the CMP should not be calling it a Mk13 Mod 3.

The barrel is cut further back from the rear of the flash hider because there were about 10 different options to test and some muzzle devices or silencers needed more room to fit on the barrel. So, the muzzle end of the barrel was profiled like this on each test rifle to keep things uniform and make it so that everything being tested could be used on each rifle.

I hope this makes sense, if anyone has any questions, please ask them here and I'll do my best to get some answers for you.

How is
Did anyone see the mk22 receivers on facebook get plasma chopped into pieces? Odd
there was a batch that had a metallurgic issue and they would get small cracks on the receivers. Barrett remedied the issue and sent replacements - the defective or potentially defective were demilled.

How is everyones mk13's going? Any exciting WIPs?

I just talked to Chris Higgins about the "Mk13 Mod 3" that's up for auction at the CMP right now. He said that it's not currently a Mk13, it's not a prototype Mk13, and it's not in any sort of fielded Mk13 configuration. This rifle was built from original Mk13 parts (Mod 0/3 receiver, Mod 3 bolt, Mod 5 chassis, sorta kinda Mod 7 barrel) and was used exclusively to test silencers for the Mod 7 contract.

This is not a Mod 7 prototype, this is a purpose built rifle that used original Mk13 parts, and was only used to test silencers. There were others like it built, so it's not a unique example. Chris definitely leaned on the fact that even though the parts are Mk13, the rifle itself is not a Mk13 and the CMP should not be calling it a Mk13 Mod 3.

The barrel is cut further back from the rear of the flash hider because there were about 10 different options to test and some muzzle devices or silencers needed more room to fit on the barrel. So, the muzzle end of the barrel was profiled like this on each test rifle to keep things uniform and make it so that everything being tested could be used on each rifle.

I hope this makes sense, if anyone has any questions, please ask them here and I'll do my best to get some answers for you.
The receiver, barrel, and flash hider could be from this Crane test rifle. It's really sad to see the CMP taking awesome pieces of history and completely bastardizing them.

It would be cool so see whoever wins the auction restore it.

Attachments

• 0823210800_HDR.jpg
    0823210800_HDR.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 0823210756.jpg
    0823210756.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 86
The receiver, barrel, and flash hider could be from this Crane test rifle. It's really sad to see the CMP taking awesome pieces of history and completely bastardizing them.

It would be cool so see whoever wins the auction restore it.
Their first listing, while it didnt straight say it, was very suggestive that the mk13-3 being sold was a fully original mk13-3, when in fact we know it was a build made from an authentic action and stock. Pairing the Unertl on it too was a pretty heavy tax for a mk13 collector.

Last edited:
Mk13 Mod 2ish, just back from LRI today.
Had it built out on a SA chassis, chambered in 308. Lilja barrel, threaded, left the extractor stock from Remington. Tuned Walker trigger. NXS 3.5-15x50 F1. Not quite clone but close enough for me and man it handles nice.
IMG_8998.jpeg

Not a clone MK13 Mod 0, but a custom .308 (7.62x51mm). Here are my specifications enjoy:

• Remington 700 Short Action - Trued/Blueprinted - Bedded
  • Bartlein Barrel - Fluted - M24/M40 Contour 24" - Threaded 5/8/24 - 1:10"
  • Dead Air Xeno Flash Hider
  • McMillian A-5 Stock - FDE Transition Camo - Bedded Badger EFR Block - Badger Picatinny Rail
  • SOL Strategic DBM - 10 Round Mag
  • Atlas PSR Bipod
  • KRG Bolt Lift
  • McCann Industries 20 MOA M700 Rev-C Rail System
  • Nightforce 1"1.25 Xtreme Duty Ultra Light Rings
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm SFP Scope
  • Nightforce Top Half Bubble Level Ring
  • Cerakote - DBM, Barrel, Action, McCann Rail - Sniper Grey

IMG_9328 (2).jpg

Not a clone MK13 Mod 0, but a custom .308 (7.62x51mm). Here are my specifications enjoy:

• Remington 700 Short Action - Trued/Blueprinted - Bedded
  • Bartlein Barrel - Fluted - M24/M40 Contour 24" - Threaded 5/8/24 - 1:10"
  • Dead Air Xeno Flash Hider
  • McMillian A-5 Stock - FDE Transition Camo - Bedded Badger EFR Block - Badger Picatinny Rail
  • SOL Strategic DBM - 10 Round Mag
  • Atlas PSR Bipod
  • KRG Bolt Lift
  • McCann Industries 20 MOA M700 Rev-C Rail System
  • Nightforce 1"1.25 Xtreme Duty Ultra Light Rings
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm SFP Scope
  • Nightforce Top Half Bubble Level Ring
  • Cerakote - DBM, Barrel, Action, McCann Rail - Sniper Grey

View attachment 8210421
Nice looking set up but I'm a bit confused as to why it's in the Mk13 thread?

Probably been answered before, whats the difference between a mod 2 and a mod 5 mk13? Chassis color?
AFAIK, chassis color, barrel contour and chamber. Mod 2 used a vortex flash hider while the mod 5 was contoured for the mk11 can. The mod 2 had the A191 chamber and mod 5/7 had the mk248 mod 1 chamber.

Mod 0,1 and 3 had mcmillan stock; mod 1 was left handed mod 0

Last edited: