• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk18 10.3” 5.56 AR as a SHTF truck gun?

A Mk18 will be insufficient for your needs whilst in the truck. Please consider a potentially better solution (note, some minor fabrication and alterations to your truck may be required)
View attachment 7196443

Edit: It’s only a little bigger than @deersniper ’s Geissele upper and packs a much bigger wallop

Ya’ll we’re trying to figure out what gun to put in your truck, but this dude’s playing 4-D chess. He got a truck that is a gun #checkmate

What can you running? How do you like it? First MP5/clone MP5 you've ever got your hands on??
Looks baller as hell btw.. exact way I'd set up a MP5/clone if I could afford it.
It’s the silencerco Omega 9K.
gun is a Zenith but pretty close to HK. Got a binary trigger in it. Thing is the fucking Titts!! Was running some Fiocchi 158 subsonics and is quiet as hell.

I've read this entire thread and I'm still confused, how long is the dildo supposed to be? Would this one work? It's a KAC.

xr_AD204zzcloseup.jpg

Between the Virginia ban looming and the election next year I feel there is an increased risk for civil unrest.

I’m planning to have my new 10.5 setup in a get home pack.

Maybe with GPS, compass, radio, maps, water, first aid, rain gear, etc.

I want to be able to reach my family if the highways get blocked.

A new 10.5 barrel and SBA4 brace arrived in this mail this week. Hopefully will have my build together in a month or two.

The gangbanger was driving an old sun faded, red, ford expedition. I wished for some hard hitting chinese 30 cal with the steel penetrator. The range of contact was going to be less than 40 yards. He was holding his pants up with one hand and had the pistol in the other....
I appreciate the narrative structure, the tone, the pacing

NFA item? If so, did it require one or two tax stamps?
‘course it’s NFA dood. Pull the KAC outta your butt. Everyone knows it’s one stamp per ball. Just make sure you lick it. The stamp. Before you affix it. To your balls.

Reactions: MCSO1357
I too drive a 4 door diesel and it would make a fairly impressive weapon itself.

Yeh the funny thing is other forums are literally filled with this crap! I think people are getting high and watching to much Walking Dead nowadays and live in some fantasy world where we will be in running gun battles in the streets as civilians! There is literally no plausible scenario I can think of that this would ever happen for a non LEO, and actually be justified to use of deadly force in self defense in some on-going gun fight to get home! As far as I know there has never been a JUSTIFIED use of deadly force by a non LEO in the US over probably 50 yds as well. Hell- even LEO shootings are literally 5-15 yds and fire a few rds! This illusion of some full blown Iraq going down is just plain fantasy. Aliens are not attacking us, zombies are only movies and all you need is a handgun in the car!

@hitman

I see what you’re saying, and it is mostly true.

As far as only needing a handgun in your personal vehicle, I will disagree. I need any weapon in my vehicle I deem to have in there. I am a free American and do my best to act like it. Maybe I just like being a free American who keeps a rifle in the truck with a get home bag. Maybe I just enjoy the comfort of having a rifle near.

Am I worried about marauding bandits on the way home? No, not really. But it is there if I need it.

To be fair, I do not currently keep a rifle in my truck, just a backup handgun to my EDC with a get home bag. I need to rectify that and dedicate a long gun to the truck.

Maybe I read more to your words than intended.

With respect,

- PBWalsh

? wait, is that supposed to be a chick or a dude? Why is it black?

<sweating>
I’m not sure, I haven’t ordered it yet I’m still trying to decide between the 11.5” and the 10.3”. I hear longer is better and my girlfriend says another inch can make a big difference so I’m leaning towards the 11.5”.

Reactions: carbonbased
Yeh the funny thing is other forums are literally filled with this crap! I think people are getting high and watching to much Walking Dead nowadays and live in some fantasy world where we will be in running gun battles in the streets as civilians! There is literally no plausible scenario I can think of that this would ever happen for a non LEO, and actually be justified to use of deadly force in self defense in some on-going gun fight to get home! As far as I know there has never been a JUSTIFIED use of deadly force by a non LEO in the US over probably 50 yds as well. Hell- even LEO shootings are literally 5-15 yds and fire a few rds! This illusion of some full blown Iraq going down is just plain fantasy. Aliens are not attacking us, zombies are only movies and all you need is a handgun in the car!
I take it you have never had a break down in remote or hostile areas where it was a day or four walk back? The day may never come where a CME or something else puts you afoot a long ways from home. However I like many, have insurance on all my rides an well as spare tires for the same reason I carry tools as insurance to get home, no matter the event. There is a concerted efferent in this country to try an down play the need for self protection everywhere, why do you think that would be? Have you bought into that?

All this truck gun talk makes me feel like I “need” another one so I’m waiting on my 7.5 inch 7.63x39 upper to show up. The only real question is will it ever really end up in my truck. The last 4 “truck” guns never did

Reactions: heronblue7
I ordered 2 more 10.5 uppers last night. For me and my situation I just do not need a 16” barrel.
For whats coming that was a smart move. Everyone thinks it's going to be a long range object lesson, which is fantasy land. It will be up close an personal, with most of it at night, with cans leading the way. If people can't operate at night or know the counters I'd suggest they bone up rather quickly,...

For whats coming that was a smart move. Everyone thinks it's going to be a long range object lesson, which is fantasy land. It will be up close an personal, with most of it at night, with cans leading the way. If people can't operate at night or know the counters I'd suggest they bone up rather quickly,...
At the risk of being accused of bringing ARFcom here, I have been saying for several years that 99% of all shots fired in anger during an event will be under 50 yards. Of that 99%, 80%will be under 50 feet.

A 10.5 is however perfectly capable of shooting as far as we realistically need it to. It may not frag but a fella won’t just shrug it off either.

I’m of two minds about this.

1. I carry a Tavor as my truck gun. It does not stay in the truck at all times, but I also don’t leave it behind.

2. As I’m the driver most times, I have a pistol that is immediately accessible. The driver gets a pistol no matter what. You can’t be fucking with a rifle when you need to be moving.

3. Most scenarios in CONUS call for exiting the scenario if you can.

We teach our students that getting out of an unarmored vehicle means you are stuck with what you have situation wise, but you are also converting a “fish in a barrel” tactical landscape into freedom of motion.

Most of the “stay with the vehicle at all costs” crew is used to a)QRF and b)Armored vehicles. And it 100% makes sense at that point stay in your vehicle and wait for hell to show up.

It is much less clear when you are in a Honda Civic and alone.

Outside of hollywood, most people that get lit up in an unarmored car by multiple assailants are just the meat in the middle of a rolling coffin. Experienced assailants know to cover the doors with overlapping fire making even exiting the ambush on foot deadly dangerous.

If you are ambushed in a vehicle, the best thing you can do is see it coming and don’t place your vehicle right where they planned on it being.

For example, if you stop 50 yards short of the kill box and get out/run/drive away you may immediately defeat half or more of their ambushes firepower.

YMMV

It's also why if you happen to be alone, you may find hoofing it on foot across terrain nobody wants to be messing with may be better than trying to drive down any decent road outside of your AO as a bunch of other "Militia" or "Prepper" or "Patriot" types may have their own checkpoints setup and probably with the main plan of getting rid of the occupants and taking their stuff. (The usual freedom and weapons for just us that is pretty common once irregular fighting breaks out anywhere in the world).

I can imagine highways might get totally gridlocked if SHTF and you might have to hoof it home to your loved ones.

Concealable firepower will help a lot.

Topo maps and a compass would be good to have as well.

I am simply saying that people get very carried away with this line of logic. I have even caught myself doing the same thing. You have to be honest in your assessments though. Like I said, this is not Afghanistan or Iraq and no one here, unless they are in law enforcement, is fighting off some angry mob. Like I said, I bet there has never been one single case of a civilian in the U.S. that has had to engage in some protracted gun battle in lawful self defense. I pretty much always have a gun on me or in the car and it is a handgun. As to the wild comment about having to walk days back to civilization in "hostile territory" again not Iraq! I literally cannot fathom a realistic situation in the US where a citizen would need engage in some on going gun fight and no law enforcement is around to respond and you need several mags to get home! Again fantasies not based in reality. I am as pro gun as it gets and I have dozens of guns. The other thing is if society began some downward spiral where this was possible we would see it coming. Meaning that if things ever got that bad- then sure throw in a sbr and some mags. But, lets be 100% honest in legal self defense you will shoot 1-3 rds at a very close distance. I am retried fed and taught tactics, firearms all my career and later in my career and now teach law. So, you have to realize that anything you do in the US you must be able to justify as lawful use of deadly force or face the consequences. Most states are not stand your ground states --which means if you can safely flee/disengage you must unless your life or a 3rd party is facing imminent death/great bodily harm. So, in these wild fantasies where you are at 200 yds engaging in a gun battle on US soil in so called self defense all I can say is good luck with that in court! All I am saying is let's be smart about our thought process and base these scenarios on reality. If you are a leo then that is a different story or perhaps you live in the middle of no where Montana etc.. a rifle may be more appropriate because you can get broke down/snowed in etc in bear county. But not because you are trekking through hostile areas! The other thing to think about in these wild scenarios is that for argument sake, let's say you are in some gun battle situation using your SBR at the mall in response to an active shooter situation. Guess what- when law enforcement responds you look like a bad guy! It is hard to determine if you are the active shooter or some superman saving the day! Any wild scenario you envision I think the proper question to ask is if you can justify it in court later. I have heard all the bs that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 etc... But I would suggest knowing your state laws in and out on self defense as a citizen. If you live in a stand your ground state you have more latitude and no duty to retreat so you may and a huge MAY be .001% more likely to need it. The only possible scenario I can see a citizen using a rifle in self defense in the public domain, would be an active shooter and you are in the car/ parking lot and can get to it to use in self defense of yourself or someone else. In this scenario sure it may be 50 yds+ in a parking lot so a handgun would not be ideal. But, the truck gun crowd sometimes goes nuts with next they need a bug out bag, several mags and all sorts of stuff! They may need a bail out bag because they are fleeing from the cops after a bad shooting! I have seen way too many people think they were using guns in self defense when in fact they were not legally justified. If a citizen does use force -guess what law enforcement is responding to the scene so this crap of needing to fight to get home is pure insanity! If you actually shoot someone you better stay on the scene unless it is tactically not safe to remain. Just be smart and educated is all and ground things in logic not tv or what ifs.

In the end it is a free country and I am for lawful folks having whatever makes them feel better. If an AR or whatever gives you piece of mind then put whatever makes you feel safer in your vehicle! Hell, if you want an AR, bail out bag and a 50 cal then got for it! I am truly indifferent and support lawful carry by everyone for anything they want! It is all a personal choice and it is America and we can all do what makes us happy! I actually debated an AR in the car myself but there are far too many vehicle burglaries and I do not want to have one of my $1500+ ARs taken from my car either! I will not care if I lose a $500 handgun. I suppose at the end of the day maybe it is better to have one and not need it philosophy. We will have to see if things in VA kick something off bad and may adjust but as it stands now I feel ok with the Glock on me.

I am simply saying that people get very carried away with this line of logic. I have even caught myself doing the same thing. You have to be honest in your assessments though. Like I said, this is not Afghanistan or Iraq and no one here, unless they are in law enforcement, is fighting off some angry mob. Like I said, I bet there has never been one single case of a civilian in the U.S. that has had to engage in some protracted gun battle in lawful self defense. I pretty much always have a gun on me or in the car and it is a handgun. As to the wild comment about having to walk days back to civilization in "hostile territory" again not Iraq! I literally cannot fathom a realistic situation in the US where a citizen would need engage in some on going gun fight and no law enforcement is around to respond and you need several mags to get home! Again fantasies not based in reality. I am as pro gun as it gets and I have dozens of guns. The other thing is if society began some downward spiral where this was possible we would see it coming. Meaning that if things ever got that bad- then sure throw in a sbr and some mags. But, lets be 100% honest in legal self defense you will shoot 1-3 rds at a very close distance. I am retried fed and taught tactics, firearms all my career and later in my career and now teach law. So, you have to realize that anything you do in the US you must be able to justify as lawful use of deadly force or face the consequences. Most states are not stand your ground states --which means if you can safely flee/disengage you must unless your life or a 3rd party is facing imminent death/great bodily harm. So, in these wild fantasies where you are at 200 yds engaging in a gun battle on US soil in so called self defense all I can say is good luck with that in court! All I am saying is let's be smart about our thought process and base these scenarios on reality. If you are a leo then that is a different story or perhaps you live in the middle of no where Montana etc.. a rifle may be more appropriate because you can get broke down/snowed in etc in bear county. But not because you are trekking through hostile areas! The other thing to think about in these wild scenarios is that for argument sake, let's say you are in some gun battle situation using your SBR at the mall in response to an active shooter situation. Guess what- when law enforcement responds you look like a bad guy! It is hard to determine if you are the active shooter or some superman saving the day! Any wild scenario you envision I think the proper question to ask is if you can justify it in court later. I have heard all the bs that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 etc... But I would suggest knowing your state laws in and out on self defense as a citizen. If you live in a stand your ground state you have more latitude and no duty to retreat so you may and a huge MAY be .001% more likely to need it. The only possible scenario I can see a citizen using a rifle in self defense in the public domain, would be an active shooter and you are in the car/ parking lot and can get to it to use in self defense of yourself or someone else. In this scenario sure it may be 50 yds+ in a parking lot so a handgun would not be ideal. But, the truck gun crowd sometimes goes nuts with next they need a bug out bag, several mags and all sorts of stuff! They may need a bail out bag because they are fleeing from the cops after a bad shooting! I have seen way too many people think they were using guns in self defense when in fact they were not legally justified. If a citizen does use force -guess what law enforcement is responding to the scene so this crap of needing to fight to get home is pure insanity! If you actually shoot someone you better stay on the scene unless it is tactically not safe to remain. Just be smart and educated is all and ground things in logic not tv or what ifs.

In the end it is a free country and I am for lawful folks having whatever makes them feel better. If an AR or whatever gives you piece of mind then put whatever makes you feel safer in your vehicle! Hell, if you want an AR, bail out bag and a 50 cal then got for it! I am truly indifferent and support lawful carry by everyone for anything they want! It is all a personal choice and it is America and we can all do what makes us happy! I actually debated an AR in the car myself but there are far too many vehicle burglaries and I do not want to have one of my $1500+ ARs taken from my car either! I will not care if I lose a $500 handgun. I suppose at the end of the day maybe it is better to have one and not need it philosophy. We will have to see if things in VA kick something off bad and may adjust but as it stands now I feel ok with the Glock on me.

Better cool it with that common sense stuff man. You don't know what it is like out there. lol

• Haha
Reactions: PBWalsh
I literally cannot fathom a realistic situation in the US where a citizen would need engage in some on going gun fight.........

I actually debated an AR in the car myself but there are far too many vehicle burglaries and I do not want to have one of my $1500+ ARs taken from my car either! I will not care if I lose a $500 handgun.

The Rodney King riots featured some examples of very scary civil unrest situations where “truck guns” would have been nice to have for those that got victimized by roving packs of animals.

While exceptional in nature and frequency, stuff like that does occasionally happen, at least at a localized scale...Katrina‘s immediate aftermath is another example although a “boat gun” would have been more applicable.

Theft of one of my ARs and/or the vehicle they are in at the time is also why I don’t generally carry anything beyond a CCW when in the vehicle, unless I am going to the desert shooting returning straight home, no stops except for perhaps gas where I don’t leave the truck.

Last edited:
Rodney King Riots in California is a scenario that if I were stuck in, I would wish I had an SBR or Carbine in the truck.

los-angeles-riots-smiling-korean.jpg
ak.jpg

rem-700-770x476.jpg

CS-Riot-0412-O-2Security.jpg

Firefights on American City Streets between neighborhood defenders and Gang Banger's who are doing drive-by shootings during the riots. 1992.

Pictures are from Los Angeles (Koreatown), where those defending themselves (legally and justified) are using weapons other than pistols.

Last edited:
@hitman

Most of what you said is true, today, right now.

Some believe, and rightly so, that it will not always be so civil.

Selco writes about his experiences in the Balkans when things went to shit there. He says that nobody expected that morning that the country would have been in total war that afternoon.

Call it paranoia or preparedness, either works.

Is the threat overblown? Definitely.
If I told you that you were going to have a gunfight today...and there was nothing whatsoever you could do to avoid it...and held out a decked out MP5 to you in one hand OR you could take the glock 19 in my other hand...which would you take?

Having been around enough mil (those who get paid), private security (those who get paid a lot), and civilians (those who compete and go pew for fun) with a variety of firearms, I’d say I’m cool eith either and don’t feel at a disadvantage with the G19. On US soil? I don’t feel like a G19 would put me at a disadvantage. In the places I’ve been where I’ve stood across the room/hall/parking lot/street from dudes will full body armor and AKs while I’m left with a suit or casuals and G19 with shit plates, yea definitely a disadvantage lol.

As always, I’m for people doing what they want to do within the law (until they ND towards me or handle their shit on a cold range), but to say it’s NEEDED for a communist roadblock in America...I stand by my belief that you’re detached from reality and need to spend less time at the VFW and in the Bear Pit.

?

I guess I fall into the opposite of the spectrum. I’m not paranoid the US is going to dive into a civil war and I need to have an arms room in my truck. I just have OCD and have had an incessant need to fill the storage compartment under my seat with a gun every since the idea got stuck in my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
I guess I fall into the opposite of the spectrum. I’m not paranoid the US is going to dive into a civil war and I need to have an arms room in my truck. I just have OCD and have had an incessant need to fill the storage compartment under my seat with a gun every since the idea got stuck in my head.
And there’s nothing wrong with that. The problem lies within the paranoid fantasy of zombie communist cartel roadblocks that apparently target innocent Americans along I95 lol.

95 is a nasty place without the world going to shit!! I avoid that road at all costs now
So not planning on doing many east coast road trips huh? The thing that makes 95 dangerous is the FL drivers. For some reason they feel the need to leave the confines of their garbage state and put us all at risk. I’d support the “SHTF” truck gun argument if they said it was to defend themselves against Florida drivers and not communist cartel insurgent hit squads.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper