• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk18 10.3” 5.56 AR as a SHTF truck gun?

Edit; damnit. I can’t get the GIF to work. ?
1576551356421.gif

@Anb618 - was this it?
clicked your link and thought I remembered seeing this one, lol.

For 8 pages of talk about.....

Nobody mentioned a real issue overlooked in prevention. Situational awareness.

Alert people who take the time to remove their head from their ass, quit thinking about everything BUT getting safely from point a to point b, and who...

Are aware of really bad places to avoid, know where they want to go, and how much time they want to spend getting there,

Generally have a plan and know a couple of routes to and from home and there. And plan accordingly. And with that,

99% of the time, situationally aware people wont need a truck gun or concealed carry.

However, insurance minded people will have some kind of insurance to cover the common wrecks in their neighborhood. The size of the policy depends on what the person is willing to pay, and on the average damage situation known to said person.

Your policy may be Farmers National, Ruger lcp380, colt 1911, S&W M29, arp(istol), SBR, or, the list is endless...

Your personal finances might reduce you to a used rusty beretta 21 or farmers national liability only, with a 1000.00 deductible, or, if you arent a "poors", you might have more....

Either way, driving your 1994 Honda Civic, or 2019 F250 diesel 4x4, situational awareness and a plan to avoid trouble are better than depending on a truck tool to get you out of a situation 'head up ass' got you into.

Now, what exactly was that bumping noise that quit..... as old civic headed out to the food place.....
No problems for 21 miles, thinking about food......
Eat.... go back home... bump bump bump, and it stopped, again,

Until 55mph, boooommm, and the belt separated on the rear tire.....
Civic goes sideways into the wet shoulder, sinks in pretty good, almost flips, then stops in a driveway in about the worst neighborhood on that 21 miles, where nobody looks like me, and gets 90% of the police calls for service.... ahh shit....

Was Mk18 what I needed ?
Was Glock 19 what I needed ?
Did i need to worry about Mr Dredlocks coming out to see what Honda Civic was doing in his driveway ?
Did I need to worry that Dred had a shiny object in his hand ?
Did I need to worry Dred looked real scary and lived in that bad hood ?
Did I need to worry Dred sounded real scary ?

6x no. I needed to borrow Dred's air pump to put air in a 1994 doughnut spare.
Did I need to worry about that shiny object Dred had in his hand ? No, I was glad he brought a flashlight and held it while I changed the tire. And called his sister to bring an air pump, who drove 8 miles to bring it...
Did I have to fight my way out of Dred's driveway and hood, or to keep sistah Dred from raping me ? No...

What was my best truck gun Sunday night ?
Smile, friendly attitude, an offer to pay sister Dred (refused), and the ability to talk to people who are just as scared of you and you might be of them.

Got two new friends now....

And yes, Dred and I both own truck guns.... sister Dred brought her glock... with the air pump...
And we didnt need the guns, like 99% of the time.

But Dred and I did talk about the two murders that happened across the street last week, and how nobody thought a brother would kill his sister and brother over the bullshit that caused it...

Last weeks murder was sufficient for Dred, sis Dred, and me to be a bit uncomfortable..... but, we didnt need the truck guns and nobody pulled one...
Damn....
Reading all the 8 pages of shit you'da thought me n Dred woulda killed each other with mk18 truck guns, just because and sis Dred woulda emptied her glock...
Damn....

Just damn....

Agree w/ The King and J-huskey points above. Most people are decent and some of my best work-mates don't look like me, although:

Loading groceries into the vehicle in daylight and observe scruffy, profusely sweating dude in duster-type coat (on a hot day - hands in pockets) walking at an angle past us, muttering to himself while looking up at us, then down at the ground, repeatedly. Dude abruptly changes direction towards us and starts talking. I sweep her behind me and make the "stop" motion w/one hand while sternly advising dude to stop advancing and to turn away. My other hand is on the holstered pistol and I ask her if there is anyone else approaching from behind - "no" - still keeping an eye on dude. After a stare-down, dude got the point and moves away. On our way out of the lot, dude is screaming at us and waving his middle fingers, etc.

Another: Getting fuel alone on the highway at night. Dude approaches from 2:00 o'clock opp. side of vehicle and starts talking from about 25yds - "Hey man, can you help a bother out, ?" etc. Check my back and see dude-2 approaching from 7:00 o'clock. Now the pistol is out along my leg and I am behind the engine compartment. #2 sees my hand is full and stops, which makes #1 stop. They look at each other, then walk directly back the way they came.

Glad I had it with me, glad I didn't have to use it.

As time goes by and the more I see what's happening, it makes more sense to me to keep something like a 7.62 or 5.56 pistol or sbr in a vehicle. Kinda like the fire extinguishers I already keep there, although thankfully have not had to use thus far. Cheers !

Some die-hards add plate carriers/ammo/flame throwers/.50 cals/GAU-8/M777 howitzers/tactical nukes/ICBMs/quasars to their rigs. All in short format, of course.

This try-hard adds short-format tactical effing dildos. And lube. Forgot the lube.

Like ARs, Tact-Dil™ don’t work worth sheeet w/o lube, lots n’ lots o’ lube.

Anyone reconsider a truck gun after the recent civil unrest?

I remember reading this thread initially, way back when. There was a lot of brow beating for even considering a truck gun. Here I was thinking every red blooded American had a truck gun of some sort...kinda like a pocket knife, been doing it since age 16.

That said, I’ve swapped my 11.5” suppressed 5.56 for a G17, mostly because it’s cheaper and easier to replace if stolen. I work in the freakin ghetto.

I remember reading this thread initially, way back when. There was a lot of brow beating for even considering a truck gun. Here I was thinking every red blooded American had a truck gun of some sort...kinda like a pocket knife, been doing it since age 16.

That said, I’ve swapped my 11.5” suppressed 5.56 for a G17, mostly because it’s cheaper and easier to replace if stolen. I work in the freakin ghetto.

Unfortunately even if it was a good shoot they'd charge us and we'd be portrayed as a racist who attacked peaceful protesters.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Personally, I think the benefits derived from the 11.5 only really matter in a situation where the rifle is being pressed into a more "general purpose" role, as opposed to a short range self defense weapon.

As I understand it, FPS is good for penetration (which is ample even from a 10.3") and extending the effective range (which is irrelevant) at "self defense" distances.

Have I missed anything?

Plenty of reliable 10.3s out there.

That last inch costs you 100-150fps, and you can’t use the carbine plus one gas system with it, which is unfortunate.

I want to buy a pistol but every single store that I've called is out of them with no known time for resupply.