• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Monthly Western KY Shoot @ RockCastle 11-16-2013 8:30 am

jonesy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Louisville, KY
We are penciled in for the 16th of November as of today. I will be getting confirmation on this date shortly from Amy at RockCastle.

Please notify me via PM of the names of all SHOOTERS (not spectators) who will be attending. This is so that we don't get in trouble with RockCastle for range fee conflicts.

Thank you for your understanding!

Hiders,

The Monthly Shoot at RockCastle for October is on the 26th. We will meet at 8:30 am at the Lodge/Main Office to pay and fill out their waiver if you've never shot there before. I will keep a running list of who will be there. I do need to RSVP with RockCastle a few days in advance regarding the number of shooters we'll have.

The price is $25 per shooter paid directly to RockCastle upon arrival. PAYMENT IS REQUIRED OF ALL SHOOTERS regardless of whether or not they are members. Also, we will have to supply our own steel targets. The more the merrier! In the past we've had a healthy supply of targets - every 50 yards out to 1100.

There will be no official format for the day, but we will go "COLD" as needed to repair/replace/paint targets and break for lunch and what not. It will be a laid back open practice.

Any questions at all, please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me. You can also call RockCastle if you like; their number is (270) 749-4101. Ask for Amy or Brent, they're the long range liaisons.

And again, the more the merrier.
Thanks all!

Shooters List:
1. jonesy (bringing 5-7 targets)
2. Cossack
3. NICETRY
4. biner626
5. Hearn & Son Precision
6. LRShooter101 +2 (6-10 targets)
7. Remlin +1 (2 targets)

Last edited:
If I can make it I will bring a target to set up at 1500 yards if the swinger that was up there is still down in the field. If anyone has an ATV they can bring to haul the target up the hill that would be great.

Count me in as well. I'm looking forward to sending some rounds down range.

Looks like I'm in. I might bring one more guy with me. If he comes, we'll bring a couple steel plates.

Depending on how my next two days go (I've got a big exam tomorrow morning), I may only be bringing a couple targets. My stands got pretty well destroyed last time we went out, so I'll have to try to find the time to rig up one or two new ones. I'll also only be able to stay out there at RockCastle until about noon CST.

I'm hoping there are enough targets to have a good time, but I cannot guarantee it. RockCastle did give us permission to use their targets that are sitting out there, so we will have extras.

Thanks for setting up the practice day. We really appriciated it.
Hope to shoot it again next month.

Great time again. Thanks for setting it up Jonesy. I would like another shot at that squirrel though.

Squirrel, what squirrel?

Thanks to everyone for a very good day of shooting.

Not sure if there are plans for Dec, but assuming that there is not a foot of water or snow on the ground, I will try to make it back.

Thanks Again!

Guys, I really don't think I'll be able to put the next shoot on. Just way too busy the month of December.

If someone else wants to call up RockCastle and set up a range day, that would be great. All you've got to do is call up, ask for Amy, and let her know you want to reserve the long range for a day for 10-15 shooters. The number is (270)749-4101. I think Amy is usually in their office between like 9am-3pm CST.

Hey Guys, any plans for a January shoot? Or do you all usually just go to the Mammoth tournament and go back to the monthly shoots in Feb?

Three more shooters for February. We can bring a dozen plus steel targets.

Edited to add:

Later in the month woul be preferable. Will have a busy couple weeks late Jan/early Feb with SHOT followup.

Last edited:
What date in Feb are you looking at. There will be 2 of us from Lexington.

What date in Feb are you looking at. There will be 2 of us from Lexington.

I'm also interested in finding out when. It looks like it's about 5 1/2 hours from where I'm working so depending on my scedule it would be worth it gettin around some guys that know what their doing and learnin a little

How about it jonesy? Lets see if we can get a shoot going.

Always room for a first timer. Besides your gear I recommend bringing something to drink and a snack. I would say on average most people spend 4-6 hours or longer at the range.

Maybe not...I've gotten hellacious sunburns in the cold before but maybe others are different.

Heard on the radio today that water reflects 10% of UV rays, sand 30% and snow 80%. I'll take some sunscreen.

getting to the range is easy...just not up the hill haha. Last time i was there, there were a few that had cars and had to walk up, not much difference. But trucks and 4wd def helps

Last edited:
Yes, and $50/day.

I guess he was right. The days of "fun" shoots are indeed over. We used to pay $25. So what do I get for the $25 more?

Now I'm looking at $100 for the two of us, plus ammo and transportation/meals.

Guess there won't be anymore fun shoots for me this year at Rock Castle. I will go shoot matches, at least someone marks my target for the money!

Dont get discouraged Tempest. From what I understand jonsey is busy this time of year. He might pick up in a spring. Again I dont know much and take what I said with a grain of salt.

if theres no more snipershide shoots, it would just be cheaper to buy the membership...hopefully there is still snipershide shoots though

if theres no more snipershide shoots, it would just be cheaper to buy the membership...hopefully there is still snipershide shoots though

Call and ask about the membership. I did a few years ago. It's not like once you have a membership, you can go shoot anytime you want. You still have to call and make an appointment as they have things often scheduled. If fact, they made it sound as if weekends were booked much of the time and the only "free" time you would have to shoot would be week days. Maybe things changed but that was what they told me at the time.

Call and ask about the membership. I did a few years ago. It's not like once you have a membership, you can go shoot anytime you want. You still have to call and make an appointment as they have things often scheduled. If fact, they made it sound as if weekends were booked much of the time and the only "free" time you would have to shoot would be week days. Maybe things changed but that was what they told me at the time.

yea they want you to call ahead and make an appointment, i had membership in 2012 but didnt renew last year because of that problem and found out about the monthly shoots from here, which ended up being cheaper in the long run

rockcastle, clarksville, and the new 1000 yd place in springhill are alll the same distance for me. Just dont like the membership part.

rockcastle, clarksville, and the new 1000 yd place in springhill are alll the same distance for me. Just dont like the membership part.

Same thing w/ Tony however at STE. You need to make appointment to shoot 1,000 yards. I really like STE. It's the best option for me. Just hope they get the other 1,000 yard done range this year?

I think if one person has a membership they can reserve the range. Then everybody else can shoot for the $25. If we have a member we should still be able to shoot every other month.

The thing that killed me about Rockcastle membership is it was 125, plus 25 every time you wanted to shoot that field.

I guess if you used the pistol ranges it wouldn't be too bad but I never did.