• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Monthly Western KY Shoot @ RockCastle 6-15-2013

Ill just have my 338 and 308...338 I want to get my scope settings for every 100 yds out to 1100, and the 308 will be used once I get the 338 on at at certain distance and or needs to cool down. Anything past 500-600 yds will just make me laugh with the 308, it's just my coyote gun and slow at 2400 fps

Also will everyone be up on the hill or down on the flat bottom before you driv up that hill? I want to try and keep the elevation as flat as possible if I can.

We set up on a hill at the southwestern tip of the valley. Here are the coordinates where we usually have the firing line: 37.112426,-86.107749. If you plug those into Google maps it'll take you right there. It's the spot where you can see a lot of past activity, lots of dirt patches.

From what I can tell looking at a topo map, we've only got about a 60' max drop in elevation around 500-600 yards. After that, the valley slopes back up and we're shooting level. Anything past 700 yards is going to be so close to level it won't matter. It really isn't much of a slope and hasn't affected my dope enough for me to tell in the past.

I dunno if anybody else attending this weekend has a need, but I've got 8 100ct sleeves of CCI-400 SRPs that I don't need and would love to sell outright or trade for one box of 308 match ammo (118LR, FGMM, TAP, Hornady Match, etc).

I'll be bringing a few steel targets and a 10x10 canopy...

I dunno if anybody else attending this weekend has a need, but I've got 8 100ct sleeves of CCI-400 SRPs that I don't need and would love to sell outright or trade for one box of 308 match ammo (118LR, FGMM, TAP, Hornady Match, etc).

I'll be bringing a few steel targets and a 10x10 canopy...

Canopies are a good idea. I brought one last time and never used it, but I'll bring it again this time to be safe.

Thanks for reminding me!

Looks like it will be warm and shiny so the canopies are a good idea.

BoilerUp makes a good point. I have a a decent amount of CCI BR2 and BR4 if anyone needs some and doesn't want to deal with HAZMAT shipping. Also have some BHA 175gr match ammo and various brass. Shoot me a PM if anyone foresees a need.

Looks like it will be warm and shiny so the canopies are a good idea.

BoilerUp makes a good point. I have a a decent amount of CCI BR2 and BR4 if anyone needs some and doesn't want to deal with HAZMAT shipping. Also have some BHA 175gr match ammo and various brass. Shoot me a PM if anyone foresees a need.

How much for some CCI BR4 and how many are you willing to part with?

Wow, this is looking to be a big meet up. Will be great to have so many people there. Really looking forward to the 15th.

Can't wait to shoot sat...going to Clarksville Friday to finish up ocw test for new Hornady 285's and make sure setting are right out to 400 yds so I won't be starting from scratch sat.

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but what power scope are you guys commonly using for the 1K yard work? I will be bringing a couple of .223s .308 and .300WM with a 4-16 Meopta. I'm ready to invest in good glass for the 300, but see many opinions on what is useful past 20X. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If there are any folks there shooting suppressors, personally hearing can on/can off shots might just be the thing that finally compels me to get something on order.

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but what power scope are you guys commonly using for the 1K yard work? I will be bringing a couple of .223s .308 and .300WM with a 4-16 Meopta. I'm ready to invest in good glass for the 300, but see many opinions on what is useful past 20X. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You will find many different opinions on what makes a good scope for 1000 plus yard work. You if get a chance see if you can check out what other people use this weekend. So many choices for optics from SFP to FFP, fixed or variable power, MOA vs. Mil, I could go on. Ultimately it come down to what's your budget?

I use a Nightforce ATACR on my 338 Lapua and you're welcome to look through it if you want.

If there are any folks there shooting suppressors, personally hearing can on/can off shots might just be the thing that finally compels me to get something on order.

I have a suppressed 22 I will bring with me. It's addictive fun. I am still waiting on the can for my .338.

You will find many different opinions on what makes a good scope for 1000 plus yard work. You if get a chance see if you can check out what other people use this weekend. So many choices for optics from SFP to FFP, fixed or variable power, MOA vs. Mil, I could go on. Ultimately it come down to what's your budget?

I use a Nightforce ATACR on my 338 Lapua and you're welcome to look through it if you want.

Thanks for the generous offer. I went to an establishment in Lexington yesterday and looked at and through a lot of scopes. The NF NXS 5.5-22 and 8-32 were very impressive. I "think" I liked the SFP a bit better. I would like to stay with a 30mm tube because I already have so many rings and mounts in that size that will save me a couple hundred if I don't have to replace them.
I have a ton of Cabela's points due to my travel for work. I am planning to stop in the Louisville store today and look at their selection. I am "retiring" from USPSA so I will be selling a lot of other toys, so I want to invest in a good one to begin with. I will then put the Meopta on my AD Recon 20MOA QR base/rings for my .308 and .223 platforms.

I will be. I've got a 30 cal can I can use on all my guns up to my 7mm Rem Mag. I'd bring the magnum so you could hear it, but I'm still doing load development with the 180 Berger Hybrids (can't find them anywhere).

Funny thing is, I actually think my 7mm is quieter than my 260 when both are suppressed.

edit: Found some 168 VLDs I had loaded up, so I'll bring the big gun. Should be fun :)

Last edited:

I am running a Kahles 624i on my 284 win. The power range is 6-24 but I tend to only use 16 power for 1000 and beyond.

You can have a peek through on Saturday. It is truly an amazing scope.

Just saw, and trying to get an answer in another thread; is there/ will we be able to shoot the 1500 yd target spot?

So far I've been out to 1180 and would love to take a crack at a mile but 1500 works too haha. Don't know if I'd hit it but atleast if be around people that could spot and know what their doing.

Normally when I shoot I'm by myself and its a pita for me to spot my own misses out in a clear cut at 700-1200 yds

Just saw, and trying to get an answer in another thread; is there/ will we be able to shoot the 1500 yd target spot?

So far I've been out to 1180 and would love to take a crack at a mile but 1500 works too haha. Don't know if I'd hit it but atleast if be around people that could spot and know what their doing.

Normally when I shoot I'm by myself and its a pita for me to spot my own misses out in a clear cut at 700-1200 yds

There's a target at 1680 yards. Maybe someone can spot you, but it's in a bunch of trees and kinda hard to see. You'll see it when we get there.

If I can see the target ill def be shooting at it if someone is willing to spot me. I'd be more that ecstatic to even hit it once.

I am running a Kahles 624i on my 284 win. The power range is 6-24 but I tend to only use 16 power for 1000 and beyond.

You can have a peek through on Saturday. It is truly an amazing scope.
Great, thank you! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Will no longer be +2 but I am still coming with my targets.

Have a few fairly nice toys but no suppressors yet. Feel free to look through my scopes and ask questions too.

Sorry after all of my beginner's questions, my back is saying no to the 2.5 hour trip. I will keep up with how things go and hopefully make the July shoot.

It was an excellent day. Thanks to our gracious hosts.
ajede4un.jpg

anatahu8.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371326267.388274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371326267.388274.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
Very awesome experience! Not much wind, especially the first couple hours, made shooting very nice. I learned some great lessons and got to oogle some very nice gear.

High point of the day for me was going 3/3 including a first-round hit @ 900yd (the red hanging target) with my 260 (longest I've ever shot prior was 650). I also hit this target with the 16.5" 308 slinging 168s, and with the 18" AR shooting 77s @ 2660.

Also thanks the Greene, I got to see with my own eyes the vast difference between my scopes (Vortex HS 5-15x44s) and the HDMR - papa WANT that scope. I also got to hear TBAC and AAC Cyclone cans for the first time and just how much they reduce the noise signature/blast of a rifle.

Thanks for organizing this...I'll be back, next time with more ammo and targets.

It looks like I missed an awesome day. I hope that there will be more of these gatherings soon. How many showed up?

I am SOOOOOO pissed I just saw this thread. Im in Ky just 20 min south of Ft Knox and would love to attend next time you all plan one of these.

Had an awesome time. Hitting the target at 1535 yards highlight of the trip. Look forward to doing it again.IMG_3604.jpgIMG_3606.jpg

I didn't get around to interacting with many of you guys but had a really good time. Put almost 200 rounds through my bolt guns and got a good amount of data.

Hope to make this again next month if it happens.

Last edited:
Also thanks the Greene, I got to see with my own eyes the vast difference between my scopes (Vortex HS 5-15x44s) and the HDMR - papa WANT that scope.

Careful looking through other people's scopes. Jonesy has an HDMR and looked through my USO and now he wants one of those.

I'm a little bummed that I missed such a good time. I would have loved to take a few shots at the 1500 yard target!

Great meeting new guys and seeing some familiar faces. Special thanks to those who bring steel and spend the time setting up targets. I'm working on some small portable target options, so I can contribute more to the group.

Really had a great time with the group yesterday. We'll need a coordinator for next month. If nobody wants to volunteer, I guess I could do it again, but I think it would be a good thing to have a rotation. That way we have more than one person who can keep it going if somebody can't make it or something.

I know a few of you guys are members, so just call Rockcastle and tell them you want to set up a shoot for 7/13 or thereabouts and then post up a thread. If I don't see one in the next week or so I'll go ahead and call them.

Happy shooting!

Anyone know the size of the 1535 yd target? And is there a path to get up there easily??

There is a path, but I've never gone up there. You can see it on the satellite view of Google maps here: 37.120896,-86.096241 Just copy and past coordinates. That's where I think the target is located and you can see a small dirt road through the trees leading up to it.

For those who brought targets...

How big were the two plates on the 900yd hanging target (painted red) and the 1080yd round target?

I will try and get one going. Need to call the RCSC staff and see about possible dates and if they line up with my free dates.
Right now my company is in full scale deployment. I literally have every piece of machinery and every available person on my payroll at work. Thats over 1k people!
Combined with July being birthday month for my family its hard to make a weekend work.

Once I talk with Rockcastle I will get back on here and see what I can make happen.

Thanks

KYS said:
Right now my company is in full scale deployment. I literally have every piece of machinery and every available person on my payroll at work. Thats over 1k people!

You're not the ones that have Versailles Rd torn all to shit, are ya?