• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Must-watch war movies?

There is a sub-titled French movie called "Intimate Enemies" that was pretty good. It's about the French fighting insurgents in Algeria.
The Battle of Algiers from 1966 was pretty decent as well.

B17EE6C0-17DE-449F-8B45-43401E5AE1F4.jpeg

The Lighthorsemen (1987) Peter Phelps - Full Movie HD

The Australian Light Horse in Palestine WWI

For those with eclectic tastes, "The Twelfth Man". And it is a true story.

There is another, regarding a MOH investigation about a Vietnam soldier, but I can't remember it's name at the moment. Also a true story.

Land of Mine - Postwar German youths forced to clear mined beaches.

Full movie.

Reactions: mikeinfwa
"Die Wannsee Conference" (1984) - Full Movie, Free on YouTube

15 members of the SS and Nazi regime gather in Wannsee, Germany in January 21, 1942. SS Gen. Reinhard Heydrich (Dietrich Mattausch) tells those present of his new responsibility for finding the "Final solution to the Jewish question."

Reactions: Chaps5800
"Die Wannsee Conference" (1984) - Full Movie, Free on YouTube

15 members of the SS and Nazi regime gather in Wannsee, Germany in January 21, 1942. SS Gen. Reinhard Heydrich (Dietrich Mattausch) tells those present of his new responsibility for finding the "Final solution to the Jewish question."

Not seen that, thanks.

Another good one (with a killer leading man. — Alec Baldwin) is Nuremberg. Early 2000’s I thing. Free on YouTube. Two part, IIRC.

Very well done, despite having an asshat playing the US justice.

Sirhr

Reactions: Ichi
I can’t remember the name of it. Maybe “The Monster or The Beast?” But it is about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan in the 1980’s. They get lost.

Excellent movie!

While I am at it…. Personally hated Fury, but for a couple of other good tank movies:

Sahara (Bogart)
To Hell and Back. (Audie Murphy)

And the original “flight of the Phoenix”’ is not technically a war movie.. but it is totally a war movie. Don’t bother with the woke remake.

Also, this is snipers hide, Sergeant York is all about marksmanship! Gary Cooper.

Sirhr

I can’t remember the name of it. Maybe “The Monster or The Beast?” But it is about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan in the 1980’s. They get lost.

Excellent movie!

While I am at it…. Personally hated Fury, but for a couple of other good tank movies:

Sahara (Bogart)
To Hell and Back. (Audie Murphy)

And the original “flight of the Phoenix”’ is not technically a war movie.. but it is totally a war movie. Don’t bother with the woke remake.

Also, this is snipers hide, Sergeant York is all about marksmanship! Gary Cooper.

Sirhr

The Beast (1988)

I met a B-17 pilot who told me about his first day on the job in England. He was in a briefing room full of the other new pilots to the squadron.

A baby faced captain got up on the stage and the first words out of his mouth were:

"Gentlemen, some of you are probably worried about flying in very close formation with another B-17. Don't worry about that. We have some outstanding instructors here. We call them Messerschmitts."

I second
Zulu
A Bridge too far
The Big Red One
And I can't believe no one has mentioned Lawrence of Arabia, try to find the director's cut. I have it on a blue ray disc (Iknow, Iknow old tech) but the cinematography is stunning and some great actors.

BoB & The Pacific are both bar-setting excellent, with Generation Kill a half-step behind but still AWESOME.

Loved Fury.

Midway (1976) is a staple of my youth and an all-time favorite.

Saw The Outpost after reading the book, it is really great as well.

Last edited:
I second
Zulu
A Bridge too far
The Big Red One
And I can't believe no one has mentioned Lawrence of Arabia, try to find the director's cut. I have it on a blue ray disc (Iknow, Iknow old tech) but the cinematography is stunning and some great actors.
I second "Lawrence of Arabia" but first read T.E. Lawrence's book "Revolt in the Desert."

Someone mentioned "Enemy at the Gates" earlier. Great acting and cinematography but it's mostly fiction. Read Vassili Zaitsev's book, "Notes of a Russian Sniper."

This is awesome and I'm having a hard time coming up with movies that have not been mentioned but here are a couple more good ones-

EDIT: the bottom one you have to click on to view on youtube. It's Victory starring a very young Sylvester Stallone, Pele (RIP) and some other greats.