• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Must-watch war movies?

Image 4-29-23 at 5.53 AM.jpeg

Cadence
The Beast
Big Red One
The Caine Mutiny
The Last Castle
The Dirty Dozen
Dam Busters
The Cruel Sea
Enemy Below
Five Graves to Cairo
Sailor of the King
Guns of Batasi
Grey Lady Down
The Great Raid
Hamburger Hill
Iron Cross

Reactions: Chaps5800 and Ichi

This one caught me off guard as it covers a more obscure tragedy that took place in German occupied Denmark, late in the war... very painful subject matter.

Reactions: crackerbrown
View attachment 8130611
Movie about The Battle of Long Tan, Vietnam.
My old boss at the police firearms range was an artillery forward observer with 161 Battery during the Veitnam War.

At the time of the Long Tan battle he was sick in bed with malaria but helped, like everyone else, drag 105mm ammo to the gun lines.

When Chris left the range, he donated a painting of the battle.

Reactions: RPN and Ichi
Glad to see some of my favorite, obscure movies mentioned: (Mopic, Firebase Gloria).

One not yet listed:
Ice Station Zebra

Rock Hudson, Patrick McGoohan, Ernest Borgnine, and Jim Brown.

The Four Feathers
With all its faults, I like this movie.
I quote it so I can Clavin it up a bit.... the 2002 version of the movie was, IIRC the 7th film remake of the story.

Unknown-2.jpeg

How can we not mention The dirty dozen?

While not much of a war movie, and all the multiple endings are lacking, I love... Hell in the Pacific. (Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune)

Which reminded me of.. Letters from Iwo Jima.

Edit to add: Hell in the Pacific.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichi
Das Boot ( in German with subtitles)
Dambusters
633 Squadron
All quiet on the western front
Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan

Reactions: Chaps5800 and Ichi
Hyena Road, A Bridge Too Far, Das Boot, The Odd Angry Shot. Those are the one that come to mind. Lots of good ones out there.

Haha the list here is long, but some aren't available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Different one: Sisu

Dark humor, I laughed a lot.

Brutal - this is not a "date movie".

"Lancaster" with Charles Dance on Prime.

This one is the real deal about how over 60,000 RAF kids bought it over Germany. And while we're at it, how over twice as many Germans civilians did much the same.

You don't have to be an American to hate that war. My Wife Celia was born in Bavaria. All of her Cousins and Uncles died in it, including a 14 y/o kid in the Volksturm, executed by the SS during the last few days of the war.

My Fav is Mr. Roberts. ...And In Harm's Way... As a pre-teen, I would get up early every Saturday to watch Victory At Sea.

Greg

Last edited:
I feel like I didn’t see these listed. Someone should scour this thread and make a complete list….

Wake Island (one of my favorite classics)
Battle for Haditha (kinda corny)
Battle LA
The Rock
Danger Close

Not really a "war" movie but great combat scenes and one of my favorite scenes, "Clear and Present Danger."

Raymond Cruz ("Breaking Bad," "The Closer," "Major Crimes,") is a sniper cadet and they are having a sneak test and the object is to ring the steel left of the judge's stand a number of times. Willem Dafoe is visiting, looking to put together a special team. So, the steel gets rung a few times and they stop the test and ask the cadet to stand up.

It is Raymond Cruz and he was just inside of 25 yards.

The sneaky bastard.

Last edited: