• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle Crown

3hundredWM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
In the shadows.
I have an old JC Higgins BA .22lr. It is old (says Sears and Roebuck Co. on the barrel.) and still in it's original configuration. It has a donut crown on it now, but my gunsmith says it needs to be recrowned. My question is......would it be better to get the original crown type redone, or go to an 11degree recessed target crown. I use it for hunting and target, but I want to do it right the first time, so what's everyone's thoughts. Hell, I don't know if the recessed 11 target crown will do anything for a .22lr. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Muzzle Crown

The 11 degree recessed target crown will be fine. Once you get it re-crowned, clean the bore from the breech end if possible. If not due to a fixed ejector or what not being in the way, use some type of muzzle guide to keep from damaging the new crown. I've seen a lot of old .22's where the crown had damage from a lot of careless cleaning with those old sectioned Hoppes and Outers cleaning rods.

I would have him put on a target crown. You use it for target work, so it makes sense

If it aint broke don't fix it....

Is the rifle starting to shoot worse that what it use to? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

But that is just me personally.

As a recognized lone dissenter of long standing, when working on a rifle that retains its original confguration, I would make some effort to preserve that original configuration.

A donut crown provides at least adequate protection, and a good crown job of essentially any configuration should optimize the crown's effect on accuracy.

If the smith can provide a serviceable donut crown, that's what I'd suggest getting.

That thorough stem-to-stern cleaning also sounds like a good idea; maybe you can get the smith to do that too. I would.

Greg

Some people believe that one crown style/type offers more accuracy over another, however I have never seen any proof of this being true in any way. As far as I'm conerned, if it's crowned properly, then it doesn't matter in which way it was crowned. So my answer to your question in short: No.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a recessed crown for added protection -as long as a crown is even it doesnt matter what angle it is on </div></div>need I repeat myself