• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing My brand new Starrett calipers were MADE IN CHINA!

Re: My brand new Starrett calipers were MADE IN CHINA!

just about all the major tool manufactures have entry level foreign made measuring tools. that doesn't mean all their tools are hecho en china.

A lot of the starrett dial indicators are made in mexico so i have been told.the dial calipers i have are older made in usa with a metal bezel ring. newer are all plastic and the price sure didnt go down.i am looking to sell off my tools since i really dont do it much any more. flea bay here i come.

i just check mine that i got 3 months ago and it says american made

keep in mind too, there is a definate trend in companies to start marking their products made elsewhere if they even have the slightest pieces made somewhere else...

HAHAHA... and this is news how?
My 9 year old the other day was playing with his army guys and trucks.. he goes "WOW... where is singapor... I said why? he said, thats where this was made... he said, thats a first, everything is made in china I thought.... gotta love kids!

A few years ago Starrett had two lines of dial calipers... the ones about $80-90 were made in China which were marketed as a "value line" and the ones about $175 were made in the USA. I would imagine that's still the case. I remember the part numbers being different between the 0-6" US caliper and the 0-6" Chinese caliper, IIRC the Chinese models were the 1202 series and the US made calipers were the 120A series but I'll have to look at my cases to verify the part numbers.

I have one of each 0-6" dial caliper (US and Chinese made); the US ones feel a little tighter and the style looks like the 70's-80's production calipers but after several years of use both the US and Chinese versions both pass calibration with zero issues (we have a calibration lab & tech here at work.)

I wasn't happy when I received my first order and saw the "made in China" tag on a Starrett branded product... so I turned right around and ordered one of the US made calipers.

However, since they both pass calibration I ended up using the Chinese made ones more often because if something happens to them I won't feel as bad. They're also the set I lend out to friends-- they're my "knockabout" calipers that get used for random measurements. I use the US-made ones myself when I'm machining something and I'm more careful with them.

About the same time I purchased the 0-6" dial calipers I also purchased a 0-12" dial caliper and it came in a wood case and was made in the USA-- same with the 0-1" digital mic I purchased about the same time which was also US production.

Still, I know how you feel paying the Starrett premium price expecting to receive a "Made in the USA" tool and getting a product that's made in China...

Got a set issued to me at work a couple years ago, I threw a fit when I saw the "china" label. It's sickening. L.S must be spinning in his grave.

I got divorced a little over a year ago. I went out to buy a pair of scissors to wrap X-mas gifts for the kids. Poked a fucking hole in the ozone with my diesel driving around trying to find a pair made in the US. I still don't have a pair of scissors.
Tried to buy a Hawiian shirt for a buddies Wedding Vow renewal, (his idea not mine) -same thing. Asked at the store if there were any made somewhere besides china, they laughed at me.

How many people in this country are unemployed, or on welfare, and I can't buy a God damned Hawiian shirt or a pair of scissors made in this country. We are well on the way to being totally Fucked.

rant off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We are well on the way to being totally Fucked.
</div></div>

too late. we <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> fucked.

Yes but not "Totally" I and a few others still own a rifle
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We are well on the way to being totally Fucked.
</div></div>

too late. we <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> fucked.</div></div>

Agreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few years ago Starrett had two lines of dial calipers... the ones about $80-90 were made in China which were marketed as a "value line" and the ones about $175 were made in the USA. I would imagine that's still the case.</div></div>

Yes, that does seem to be the way they are now. The ones I purchased (and sent back) were model 1202, and in the picture at least, the 120A do say "Made in USA" on the dial. I just don't know if I'm ready to cough up the dough for them right now. The 1202 felt no better than the $30 import one I bought a number of years ago, so didn't seem worth the extra money. Maybe one of these days, after I get some machines set up, I'll spring for some good ones.

I look at the label of what I buy religiously now. It is incredibly difficult to not buy stuff made in China, but I will not do it unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of the time, I end up buying nothing at all.

If everyone did this, if the Chinese products lingered on the shelves and retailers couldn't get rid of the crap, we would see production resume here. It's all supply and demand. They import the shit because we buy the shit. Simple as that. Same with gas prices: they charge $4 because we've demonstrated that no matter the cost, we'll buy it! I buy almost nothing made in China now. That said, I buy pretty much nothing these days, but I refuse to perpetuate the problem.

I know that nobody thinks that their singular actions, in the grand scheme of things, will make a difference, but it does. Just like no single raindrop thinks it's responsible for the flood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How many people in this country are unemployed, or on welfare, and I can't buy a God damned Hawiian shirt or a pair of scissors made in this country. We are well on the way to being totally Fucked.

rant off. </div></div>

I always hear people say this, and I have to ask: Would you or anyone on welfare in the US be willing to work for the amount they pay to have that shirt made? If not, how much are you willing to pay for that US made shirt so that it can be made with a ridiculously high minimum wage like we have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308MAUS3R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

rant off. </div></div>

I always hear people say this, and I have to ask: Would you or anyone on welfare in the US be willing to work for the amount they pay to have that shirt made? If not, how much are you willing to pay for that US made shirt so that it can be made with a ridiculously high minimum wage like we have?
</div></div>

yep. the problem has at least two parts. we as consumers demand products cheap. we as employees demand high wages.

It takes some effort but you can still find snitz made in the USA. Went to lowes a few weeks ago to get a level and some other stuff....got US made stuff but I had to look thru everthing and finally found some. Yes, more expensive, but thats expected I guess.

John

i dug through a rack of shovels at home depot the other day to pick out the couple that were made in usa. i spend $400 on american made boots instead of $50 for chinese boots. i do what i can when i am physically able to afford it. when it is a matter of a few (or even a few hundred) bucks, i'll go with the american made. something like new machinery, i'm sorry but there is no way i can afford to buy american.

here's an interesting list. the funny thing is that many of the things are still almost as affordable as the import equivalent.

http://americansworking.com/

People on welfare are happy to accept our tax dollars and we get shit in return. ANY job is a start to a better one. I sure didn't start out making what I make now. For those that need a hand up, I will help. Those that want a hand out can move along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People on welfare are happy to accept our tax dollars and we get shit in return. ANY job is a start to a better one. I sure didn't start out making what I make now. For those that need a hand up, I will help. Those that want a hand out can move along. </div></div>

Amen Brother...

Last company that I worked for was a Roof and Floor Truss design\man. When I was hired, I was hired for the lowest job there which was pulling the metal plates that held the trusses together. 2 Days later I went into the office to start design work training. I was hired with the understanding that I would work in the shop for 2 days and train for 3... After the first 3 days in the office, I never made it back out to the office. long story short, I worked hard and through the years ended up second in command and lead designer. Nobody gave it to me... I worked for it. Bottom line is, I didnt have the "you cant pay me to do that job" attitude.

Face it "Made in U.S.A" for the most part is "Made By illegals" who send their money out of the country and live off welfare under yet another name.Let alone the fact that all the raw materials are imported. Yet we buy this stuff and let the bullshit roll on. We let the Goverment sell us out long ago. It's like a guy complaining about being butt raped in the 3rd grade on his 75th birthday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People on welfare are happy to accept our tax dollars and we get shit in return. ANY job is a start to a better one. I sure didn't start out making what I make now. For those that need a hand up, I will help. Those that want a hand out can move along. </div></div>

My point was simply that nobody in the US is willing to work for less than $1.00/hr to make clothing.

+1 on Buying American Charlie. I too always keep an eye out for American made products and buy them when ever possible. We as a nation are being leveraged into buying imports, being sold on the "they cost less" paradigm. What is happening is that over time, we are slowly accepting lower and lower levels of quality in the products we buy. This makes it harder for so many that just use the "they make things cheaper" crowd to get perspective on what is really happening.
We can do something about this, but it involves us being more aware of what we get for our money, now just immediately, but over the life of use of the products we buy.
Oh and getting in our elected officials faces and telling them if they want "their" jobs, they better get off of the lip service and actually put together and execute a plan to reindustrialize our nation. Factories = Blue Collar Jobs GREATER Than Minimum Wage!! What a concept Huh?!?!

Hard to get in the elected officals faces when the are kissing the a$$ of the hispanics.10 years ago the black vote was the target of our goverment"officals" Now the illegals are the ones getting the lip service(on their a$$). I see 15 million illegals Washington sees 50 million future voters.How the hell do we "Reindustrialize" noboby teaches their kids core values or simple manual labor . Most kids can't read a friggin tape measure let alone do skilled labor.THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BUY AMERICAN ANYMORE IS TO PICK YOUR OWN CORN AND PAY THE FARMER YOURSELF!!!!

Without stirring stuff up too much toward the political, I do give my friends and family shit about buying Chinese stuff. If I can just convert two people, and they each convert two people...

I'm trying to lead by example, but I'm not that quiet about it. Your dollars speak for you. Let the market show where your values are.

What do you expect, after all China owns the USA. Where do you think all your Hundreds of Billions in foreign debt came from.

The thing that gets me is people see made in china and think it's shit, but if it is shit it's the people having their stuff made in china who are asking for the cheep shit components. They could spec the higher quality components to be used if they wanted, so its not all the chinese fault.

Not everything coming out of china is shit, just like not everything coming out of the US is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to get in the elected officals faces when the are kissing the a$$ of the hispanics.10 years ago the black vote was the target of our goverment"officals" Now the illegals are the ones getting the lip service(on their a$$). I see 15 million illegals Washington sees 50 million future voters.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How the hell do we "Reindustrialize" noboby teaches their kids core values or simple manual labor . Most kids can't read a friggin tape measure let alone do skilled labor.
</span>

THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BUY AMERICAN ANYMORE IS TO PICK YOUR OWN CORN AND PAY THE FARMER YOURSELF!!!! </div></div>

THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting comments near the end of his talk about the "War on Work" as he calls it.

http://www.chiefhomeofficer.com/2009/03/29/mike-rowe-on-anagnorisis-peripeteia-the-future-of-work/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Papa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without stirring stuff up too much toward the political, I do give my friends and family shit about buying Chinese stuff. If I can just convert two people, and they each convert two people...

I'm trying to lead by example, but I'm not that quiet about it. Your dollars speak for you. Let the market show where your values are. </div></div>
+1 on that Charlie. My wife and I do what we can to buy American when we can. We do what we can to teach our teenage son (who happens to be in votech learing landscaping and hardscaping) why we do this. We feel it the best we can do.

Mark,
Thanks for posting the link to that video. Its def worth the time watching. Im going to sent it to my wife and son. I know they will enjoy it.

Yep you're right.
First pair of made in China were replaced.
Out of waranty but supplier bit the bullet.
Replacement set went to reloading bug out box.
OD and depth mikes I like the feel of Starret over mit.
Will take Brown and Sharpe right after Starret.
Indicators are Interrapid.
B&S also makes a .00005 indicator.
Great for checking spindle bearings.

The Chinese and Japs along with others are among the best in the world as far as precision engineering goes. That said I will say this much, quality in China and Japan is never measured on perfection, perfection is not quality, quality is whats accepted.
If however a company refers there components/parts etc to a Chinese manufacturer in a sub contract basis they will get precisely the quality they specify and this will be based on cost to the company specifying the said contract. Im pretty certain that Starret or companies like Starret have a standard that must be met or otherwise these components dont go on the shelf.

Well, not withstanding my personal desire for US-made products, they didn't meet my minimum standard.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any Chinese person or the country as a whole. They have some of the most sophisticated and advanced production facilities in the world, if not THE most. They can and do, for a cost, make some very good products. We typically don't see that quality here anymore because of the cost of logistics. They have made an art out of the copying of products. And their government has been very savvy to buy all of the securities the current administration has sold them. I respect them. And fear them.

I know the feeling. I got home with my latest set of Red Wing boots and saw "Made in China" inside the tongue. Little upset to start with but they are nice boots.

You don't have to be upset or mad. Made in China is everywhere now. Go check with Walmart or Target, most of their products are Made in China. Old saying " You got what you paid for." If you can double or triple yor money you definitely gonna get a Made in USA, but I don't think they worth that money.
confused.gif

If you are buying a scope, go with USA or Germany, don't go with China, not even Japan....

Just look at Rocky boot.
Been to Nelsonville many times.
Watched the factory transform into a outlet store over the years.
They still employ a lot of local people that need jobs.

I could stray more with auto parts, but won't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victorz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have to be upset or mad. Made in China is everywhere now. Go check with Walmart or Target, most of their products are Made in China. Old saying " You got what you paid for." If you can double or triple yor money you definitely gonna get a Made in USA, but I don't think they worth that money.
confused.gif

If you are buying a scope, go with USA or Germany, don't go with China, not even Japan.... </div></div>

why not go with japan for optics? outsourcing to another country because they specialize in a certain thing is not the same as outsourcing to another country simply because they are the cheapest with no regard to quality.

When you shop for Starrett, look for the 'International' in the heading...those are the ones made in China. That said, I replaced a cheap pair I had been using for the last five years as I got some metal shavings in the rack and it went to shit with a Starrett international. I don't feel bad about using it, and double checking with a micrometer it is spot on...seems to be pretty decent quality.

@ $85 or so, they are better than the 'other' $25 chinese copies, but I'll agree their not as good as they were, but they certainly are usable.

Well. I ordered some of the made in USA ones today. the damn Chinese digital ones I had been using were 2 to 3 thousanths off. I uess that should be expected for 20 bucks.

Not only are Starrett tools made in China now, they've been manufactured in South America for years.

Starrett went across the waters back in the late '90's.

I was the southern regional manager for Starrett at the time (also a graduate of the L.S. Starrett Tool Maker Course). There were many, many of us old timers who were rightfully concerned about this and the impression it would make on the U.S. market/consumers.

As a salesman/manager for Starrett, we actually had to work in the plant and build a "rack" (25 pieces) of specific tools which had to pass inspection and go into finished goods inventory.

It's the international market. Can make them cheaper over there and compete in the world market.

When the oriental manufacturing issue came up, it was indicated by senior Starrett management that these tools would not be brought back into the U.S. and that only U.S. produced tools would be marketed in the U.S.

Things change.

My Grandfater and Father were "Starrett machinists" as was I.

I've 2 Gerstner tool boxes full of them.

Have 6" dial caliper that I built, a set of 0-6" micrometers, a 711 "Last Word" test indicator, to name but a few.

Mount and true my scopes with a Starrett "Master Precision Level".

Wish things were different, but they aren't.