• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing my deer season so far. GA

caleb7mm

Nobody
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
atlanta, GA
put together a long range hunting setup so I didn't have to carry my match rifle in the woods anymore. I have a VTR in 308 that shoots 168gr pills as good as any custom gun I have ever seen (believe it or not). So I put the action in a HS precision stock with a timney 510 at 2lbs, 20MOA EGW HD base and a set of burris XTR rings hold up the FFP VORTEX VIPER PST 4-16X50 MOA/MOA that I ordered for it.

I wanted to try the AMAX bullet out so I loaded up some and went for a ladder test. I found with my 168 amax, fgmm primer and brass and 44gr of varget I was in business. I got solid dope out to 650 yards with this rifle. I have a field that I can stretch to 600 yards where I hunt. I am in business!!

10/24/12
Hoping for a nice long range shot. But I got a 70 yard shot, I will take it!! nice doe to start the year.
12doe1.jpg

11/11/12
Me and a buddy go to the field. A half hour before sunset 4 does appear at the 350 yard mark. After waiting to see if anything else was coming out I decided on the biggest doe. My buddy gave me my range (300 yards) I dialed 5 1/4 minutes put it right on her neck and dropped her. The other deer scattered and the smaller one stopped about 30 yards farther back. I put it on her shoulder and fired. She ran 70 yards and was done. 30 yards into the blood trail was a plum size piece of lung.
2and32012-1.jpg

11/18/12
we head back to the field again. this morning was crazy!! saw 13 does and 2 bucks in 2 hours. they were moving! A group of six does stepped out at the 530 yard mark. I let my buddy shoot first then I was going to shoot if any of them stopped after the shot. He fired and they all scattered, two stopped trying to figure out where the shot came from. I was all ready on the bigger one. Ranged her at 500 yards, dialed 12 1/4 minutes and fired. She was facing me with her head down looking into the sun, I had a perfect head shot. She went down like a ton of bricks. My buddy didn't see a limb in front of his deer, he hit the limb and his deer left unscathed.
this is my current personal best at 500 yards. (yes I know there is blood on the shoulder in the picture, it was from her head going back at the shot) I can post a pic of the head if wanted.
500yarddoe.jpg

11/22/12
Doe runs out into field and disappeared behind a hill. Then a 6 point runs out and stops broadside at 300 yards. I take him in the shoulder. then the doe appears running toward me, she stops at 200 yards and I hit her in the neck. What a great thanksgiving!
2012doublenum2.jpg

Re: my deer season so far. GA

You sir are having a great deer season. I'm jealous you get such a long season to hunt in. Hats off to you!

Good hell, how many tags do you get? That sounds like my kind of fun. Great shooting.

Glad your new rifle is working well and congrats on the great season so far!

I took a new rig out today.. 338LM on a field hoping for some distance opportunities. 2 came out of some thickets at about 50yds.. not the right caliber for this occassion, but I took them anyways. No problem with the meat, but there wasn't much left to gut when I went to pick them up. :-/

thanks guys!
10 doe tags and 2 buck tags here in ga

ss7, got some pics of the devastation?
smile.gif

You are laying them down for sure. Congrats. I hope to be back in the field next week and getting some action myself.

Freezer must be full? Nice shooting

If I shoot one or two more we won't have to buy beef all year.
But I think I'm going to hold out for something bigger for now.
The rut is in full swing!