• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new McMillan A5...wtf

Re: My new McMillan A5...wtf

I suppose the best way to say it is they are like a fingerprint. Both have general patterns but no two are alike. Each is truely unique and custom... If you will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... Finally, if you don't like one of our products please send it back for a refund. We do not have a problem with that and neither should you. If you don't like it please don't keep it as it will always bug you. </div></div>

oooooo oooooo oooooo i'll buy one the returned "blemished" stocks!

if it's ok with you i'd like to come rummage through the "returned/never paid for" bin full of stocks.

I personally understand the OP's frustration. Yes, I get that some of you use these as working rifles but some people don't and look at these as "prized possesions". What's wrong with expecting top notch craftmanship, especially at this price point? The man has spent a bunch of money on this stock, really looked forward to getting it, waited for quite some time, and now is catching flak because he expressed his feelings on the product.

OP, the gelcoat looks fairly normal on your stock from the handful of McM stocks that I've seen.. The cutout on the thumbwheel adjustment doesn't look the greatest however but most everything is on par with what I've seen in the past. On the other hand though, McM stocks work. Very, very well.

-X

I remember my first camo M40A1 stock. It had molded in camo and several smears, before I painted it real ugly. Funny thing is camo should be inconsistent so it blends in with surroundings. McMillan does an excellent job on camo finishes for camo and durability purposes. Dick I wish you guys would do that old ugly smear camo again.

Now I understand guys pay alot of money for a custom sniper rifle and want everything perfect but try to remember the end game. I understand the idea of a very pretty rifle but think about the end user use of the equipment. Its a Sniper Rifle. McMillan has always been way up front about the smears in camos, did you just miss the warning? Camo is supposed to be camo not Run Way Fashion. Maybe you get a nice solid color paint job for presentation?

Take those rifles out and beat them up a bit. Give them some stories to tell. LOL

My Bass Boat has perfect gel coat. My Rifle Stocks are camo and is designed to fit into where my AO is.

The problem in this case seems to have stemmed from the buyer not understanding what he was buying.

I spent several times what the OP spent on my AI. There are some places the plastic skins don't line up perfectly. I knew this was a common AI issue before I purchased it. I don't come on here bitching about the fit and finish of the AI because I knew what I was getting AND I also know it's one of the finest Sniper Rifles available and the fit of the skins in no way, shape or for impact the function of the weapon. Much the way a smear or mold line doesn't impact the function of the McMillan stock.

Those of us who have carried those stocks around the world see a different kind of beauty in them. It's in their function and their reliability.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tangodown911</span>: Bed your action into that stock. Take it to some tactical rifle schools. Run it in some competitions. Scrape and scratch that sucker. A couple barrels down the road when you hand it off to one of your children they will cherish it. The mold lines and smears will not make an ounce of difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The cutout on the thumbwheel adjustment doesn't look the greatest however but most everything is on par with what I've seen in the past. On the other hand though, McM stocks work. Very, very well.

-X </div></div>

OK, so if you can come up with a better way to cut into all 3 layers - the gelcoat, the cloth, and the fill - and make it look better than the pic, please share it with Dick. Apparently doing it on a $80,000 CNC Machining Center does not meet with your stringent requirements.

Personally it looks very well done to me - nice bevel job, uniformly cut.

Maybe McM should start selling stocks gel coated in different color sparkles.

And 10 layers of gloss clearcoat, wet sanded to automotive perfection. Nothing says tactical/practical like a smooth, silky, mirrored finish stock...

<span style="font-size: 23pt">GIVE ME A BREAK</span>

These are not CNC aluminum, they are mold casted fiberglass. Form follows function. These are the top shelf of what they are, and if what they are is NOT polished up with steel wool and a buffer wheel, then that is NOT what they are. Any argument of "well it should be this way" is glaringly invalid.

Do I complain that my Kifaru backpack had slightly visible measurment marks on the webbing? No. You know why?

<span style="font-size: 23pt">BECAUSE ITS HANDMADE IN THE USA</span>

Made to order and mass produced are two different things. Please appreciate the intrinsic value that most people take for granted because they are just happy that they have the best.

+1 for Dick Davis BTW...he helped me when he did not have to. He fixed my stock and repainted it when someone else screwed it up. Since then I have bought McMillians. In fact just got my new A5 Edge in paint grade yesterday...paint and finish was perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe McM should start selling stocks gel coated in different color sparkles. </div></div>

with multicam Bedazzles for texture!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The cutout on the thumbwheel adjustment doesn't look the greatest however but most everything is on par with what I've seen in the past. On the other hand though, McM stocks work. Very, very well.

-X </div></div>

OK, so if you can come up with a better way to cut into all 3 layers - the gelcoat, the cloth, and the fill - and make it look better than the pic, please share it with Dick. Apparently doing it on a $80,000 CNC Machining Center does not meet with your stringent requirements.

Personally it looks very well done to me - nice bevel job, uniformly cut. </div></div>

No need, I've seen better on most other A-5 stocks I've held and the top looks a little rough on that one. But by all means, keep being condescending.

-X

There are plenty of people here that would be thrilled to have that stock. If you don't like it, sell it. And get yourself a chassis system that is milled out with a machine and will yield no gel coat boo boo's.

Run what you got! Those smear marks will not affect the accuracy AND it gives it some character. Frank did a rifle eval here not to long ago in which he took tannerite to the rifle and took chunks out of the stock. I'm sure it did not hurt the accuracy of the rifle.

that stock will be beautiful after its been drug through the rocks and used like its supposed to be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like it, sell it. And get yourself a chassis system that is milled out with a machine and will yield no gel coat boo boo's.
</div></div>

Have you ever looked at billet CNC milled aluminum prior to blasting and coating? Pretty ugly.

McMillan stocks are technically the product of considerable CNC milling. The mold itself is made this way. The shell gets CNC milled in a fashion that its integrity is maintained yet they can still put the fill in the stock. After filling, the action and barrel area are CNC inletted. Finally, the adjustable hardware points are CNC milled.

My point is, a properly prepped surface with a uniform finish applied over the top turns out basically the same, regardless of the underlying material and the means used to shape that material into the finished product.

McM painters come out very uniform, as do camo finishes applied with sharp edged templates. These are finishes though, not an actual part of the stock itself. The molded in camo is an integral part of the stock and much deeper than any surface finish I've ever seen suitable to this application.

All one has to do is look at a 20-odd year old, heavily used and abused M40A1 return stock that has had its AO spraybomb camo removed to "get it". Mine is in amazingly good shape for literally having been to hell and back many many times. I say WOW every time I pick it up.

PICT0007.jpg

Sorry Bro, I'm going to bum you out. Got mine delivered in less than 24hrs and the money had barely got in the mail when I had it in hand. A-5 75/25 od green/Blk. Action dropped right in. I may have it bedded sometime. The thing is perfect. JW Precision right here on the hide is the dealer I got it from. I hate it for ya! BTW I'm a lefty. LOL! I don't throw mine down ravines but if it gets dinged I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. The ergonomics of the stock suits me, put me in a more comfortable position ergo better shooting. Good luck.
JW Precision sales thread

I've also added a AZ precision bolt knob. Quite functional.

Mine looks just like that. It's the nature of the molded in camo. It will not chip or wear like painted stocks will. It's unique and made to take a beating. Nobody bitches about orange peel on an M1 Abrams paint job.

The stocks are built by people, you get people from the falable human race. Your ultimate goal for the rifle may picture something more astheticly pleasing, me on the other hand wouldnt kick that stock back as it gives a more working-class look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I'm still waiting for some sharp painter to figure out how to do a "marble" paint job. Now, there's a challange.</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2063392&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

It came out nice
smile.gif

I didnt pick through the entire post, but mine looks like that also brand new. All the ones I have seen even on factory rifles look the same also.

No sweat fellas. I'll let the stock ride as is for now. And by next Saturday it will have a .260 krieger barrel and a 591 sitting in it. I think it will all work out. Thanks for all the replies and opinions. As many of you have seen 10 fold of A5 as I. I trust you.

I love the fit and feel of it already. I have longed for a stock with a solid adj. cheek weld as this one offers. I hope it will be a one holer.

I've owned (2) A5's that I bought from JW Precision. (1) Gap camo and (1) in olive drab. Both were moulded in colours.

I can appreciate where you felt let down by a lack-lustre fit and finish, however, as said many times before, the situation is typical for utility grade stocks. They're not for everyone and obviously not for you.

My olive drab A5 wasn't to my liking at all and exhibited deep scratches and chips in the fibreglass itself. No big deal, I just sold it for what I paid and moved on to something I liked better.

I hold no malice towards McMillan but based on my needs, I would think twice about ordering another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe McM should start selling stocks gel coated in different color sparkles. </div></div>

with multicam Bedazzles for texture!!

</div></div>

laugh.gif
grin.gif

At first, I thought "holy crap" that sure doesn't look like a quality job for a first-rate stock.
I didn't know that's gelcoat- and not a painted finish.

As someone familiar with gelcoat from working on my boats- I'm actually impressed...that type of detail is off-the-chart difficult to do.

It COULD be done in different stages (one color at a time)with labor intensive masking, but the cost would be ridiculous. While a painted finish done with "care" could have much tighter lines, there's nothing like the durability of gelcoat. If you get a light surface scratch, it'll buff out- unlike a painted finish.

Take a look at Robertson Composites I have there f class RCI -11
and there tactical is a slick rig.there quality is bar non the best I have seen in any composite stock.
P1060915.jpg

MY Brothers Robertson Thumbhole is a nice stock.
100_4881.jpg

my friends Tactical
P1060880-1.jpg

Not directed at anyone in particular, but in my opinion, paint sucks and gel-coats rules. This is assuming that a rifle will get banged around and actually used.

Take a perfectly painted handle and a typical gel-coat, use them hard for 10 years and see which one looks best. It's much the same when building a Jeep or an ATV, in that some guys have to have the flawless look while others are willing to give up a small degree of visual appeal for durability.

Paint or gel-coat, it is always good to have choices and I'm glad McMillan does both.

yea, i feel your pain. every time i get another i think WTF? LOL
in all fairness, Heather offered have the gray/yellow Classic painted for free because, in her words "it's hideous".
i kinda like it.

100_1558Large.jpg

Three pages of this??? WTF is right. Who gives a rats ass everyone go out and shoot. If you use it it will look like shit soon enough!

Mick