• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My new toy

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
Just got a GAP Rock in 308 with manners stock. I have a SS 10x42 on there for now until my skills improve. Havent had a chance to shoot it yet with work and whatnot but really hoping I can take it out in a few days to get it broken in and see what it and I can do. Just thought I would share...

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

Re: My new toy

Haha, thats what I hear. Started drooling when I picked it up at the gun shop. This is my first ever "nice" gun so I'm pretty excited about it.

Got my OAL (to the ogive) to the lands all figured out and I'm almost ready to start loading for it. I think I will start 0.001 off the lands or crap, are you supposed to start 0.01 off? I'll look it up. At any rate I will not be jamming them at any point in time as the idea of the bullet getting stuck in the rifling if I have to take a round out doesnt sound appealing whatsoever.

Loved how simple and clean that looks with the fde molded stock. Did you get it out to the range yet?

Very nice and i have seen and heard on here they all shoot like lazers. Have fun with your new toy.

Havent had a chance to go shoot it yet, been very busy with work. I'm really hoping to get out on Monday and get the barrel broken in, etc...so I can start havin fun with it. Im a fan as well of how clean/simple it looks. I'll post my results once I get some.

Ken, the only thing I think I want to change in the near future is to get an oversized bolt handle, I'll have to wait until I get some range time to know for sure but just curious if you could PM me or send me an email (if you still have it) as to what that might cost. Thanks.

our cost to install the Badger Ordnance bolt knob is 95.00, that includes shipping back to you.

Finally got out to the range today. Performed the recommended break in proceedure which let me tell you sucked. I hate cleaning. At any rate once I got it broken (while mostly zeroing the scope) I shot the following 10 round group. In the middle of the 10 shot group I said, hey, why dont I try holding for the increasing wind. Yeah awesome idea. I held about 1/2 mil to the right for the middle 4 shots and it seemed quite apparent in the target. These 10 shots were my first handloads using 42.5gr of RL-15, win brass, 168gr SMK. Primary group aiming at center (keep in mind the scope is not fully dialed in yet) measured at 0.41". The "holdoff" group measured at 0.6". With both it measured in at 1.4". Not too shabby for a relatively unskilled shooter, new rifle, and first time handloads. Granted 99% of it was probably the rifle but hey I deserve credit for my 1% contribution!

Overall the rifle performed fantastically and loved every bit of it except for the bolt knob. It worked just fine but I think something of the oversized variety would work much better. Might have to send it in for the upgrade. At any rate heres a shot of the group.

5-17-11First10RoundGroup.jpg