• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

Re: My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

Install base with front and rear screw snug.. measure gap at crosshair using this clay type stuff used for engine rebuilding that would get sandwiched between the receiver and base... I forgot the name of it and then mill that much more off the rear... ?? Don't know if that will work but it should.... kind of an easy fix ...I think
ddrbaseedit2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plastiguage. </div></div>

Ahhh... It's been a while...LOL

Or tighten up the rear screws and use feeler guages to measure the gap in the front. Then mill that much off the rear.

The guy that originally built looks to be as flaky as your original bedding job. Glad to see you are getting some quality work to fix things up.

I was thinking the Plastigauge because the front is an arc and it might be hard to get an accurate measurement with a feeler gauge... But bolting the rear two screws might be better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking the Plastigauge because the front is an arc and it might be hard to get an accurate measurement with a feeler gauge... But bolting the rear two screws might be better </div></div>But then again... that is relying on the rear to be true now which it probably is not so that would throw me back to using the farthest front and rear screws.... I have to think about that one some more...lol

I will just mil off the area that will be in contact or stay underneath the rear base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will just mil off the area that will be in contact or stay underneath the rear base. </div></div>

Thats what we are saying, but how do you know how much to take off?

I think the Plastigauge is the ticket. You can mount the base with the Plasti in a couple different spots and that will tell you what's what... But you'll want to measure where I put the cross ... that'll be the biggest gap and thats what has to be milled off...

81sfo,

Did you send your base to roscoe when you sent the action?

If he has the base he can measure it to find out how much difference there is between the front and rear contact surfaces, and cut the receiver the proper amount the make the base fit correctly.

Cut a 1/4" wide strip of paper... mount the base and try to slip it through in various spots... if it goes easy....fold and try again... and again if needed...that will tell you where it's not making contact.. And where to put the Plastigauge to measure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will just mil off the area that will be in contact or stay underneath the rear base. </div></div>

Thats what we are saying, but how do you know how much to take off? </div></div>

I dont have the base and receiver in hand right now so I cant tell. But what Im gonna do on my project, I just put the base on, with the slot alreay cut of course, mark the area that will be covered by the base because that will be the intact area and mil it off.

Rad, no i didnt send it.its not a big deal to me.theres a little bit of clearance between the base and reciever,but not so much that its floating.Im sure Will is already coating this thing and it will be out first thing Monday.I can live with the small gap.

Found this pic of the A3, close up to the rear base. Dont know if its me or the base off to the right,there's a small lil gap on left side.

z085.jpg

I'll blast your rifle, paint and re-assemble Monday. It'll ship either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. If additional Milling is required, nows the time. How does the base fit as is in the rear. Did it lock up OK or do you think it'll move under recoil? The base can always be bedded on for additional support.

God I love my Badger 20moa base
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God I love my Badger 20moa base
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1

if its not a spec build then who cares for clip slot lol...

Roscoe thats cool your doing this so damn quick. You can bet when I get my rifle ready for some work itll be coming your way.

Cant wait to see the finished product!.....again!

Winroscoe, if you think you can make the reciever flat i would gladly thank you.I dont know the exact procces or what measures should be taken.7mmRm has some insight on this,maybe he can help us on this.I pm you about this matter aslo,thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">81,

I'll blast your rifle, paint and re-assemble Monday. It'll ship either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. If additional Milling is required, nows the time. How does the base fit as is in the rear. Did it lock up OK or do you think it'll move under recoil? The base can always be bedded on for additional support.

God I love my Badger 20moa base
grin.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WN,

Ill call you in the AM on how that is supposed to be milled. </div></div>

call my cell. 318-422-0421. Thanks

Another big shout out for wnroscoe - you have gone above and beyond for another shooter. Cool stuff!!

This is another Bud for you!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is another Bud for you!! </div></div>

Thats two, my limit
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This brings a question to my mind... If the 30 moa base is suppose to be installed on a milled flat receiver. That receiver has to be milled to a certain height on the backside to get the correct 30 moa. If it's only milled a little bit... the base is going to sit at an angle higher than 30 moa... Correct ? This picture is from the A3 build guide thread from a while back... and it is milled totally flat...lower than yours...
1001984gl5.jpg

JMO... But I would have the right side scallop cut lower like in these two pics of actual M40A3's... now would be the time to do it..
080127-M-7747B-002.jpg

2298888260085029376hbfwzd0.jpg
</div></div>

Hey how can the guy in the second pic shooting the M40 see with that big ugly moustache? J/K TODD is a hell of a guy and a HELL of a fine shooter glad to see He is still around. If Todd reads this when you coming to S. Texas to visit us bitch?

I love reading threads like this becouse It shows how the internet can distort things rapidly. No offence, Ill explain.

Remington recievers vary by a ton. 1-15 thousands. the polished versions even worse. The base is the closest constant. its made to a print and the surfaces are known dimentions. When the M40A3's are sloted there is a touch-off on the front of the reciever in two places. The back of the front ring and the top. the back is cut flat in relation to the touch-off. the 8-40 holes are cut to the relation of the touch-off to the rear of the bridge. If done correctly there is perfect allignment with the holes and full base contact with near perfect 30 MOA cant without stress. The variations in the pictures are all from the lack of consistancy in the reciever. The USMC is now getting recievers from Reminton that are straight out of production, they have not been polished, blasted, finished or even drilled for mounting holes yet. This way there is more consistancy between recievers. I get our recievers the same way. Note, in the below picture the lack of any polish, finish, blast, or even tumbling. Look how crisp and clean the edges and corners are.

347043532.jpg

George your reciever looks just perfect,makes you want to just mount this thing in a glass case and never install a barrel on it.Yes its beautiful.outstanding work.
So the 8-40 screw holes would be the last modification in the whole reciever transformation?otherwise the base will not be stress free?

wnroscoe and George, what portion of your "clip slot" cutouts are actually going to hold the clip in position not allowing it to go down into the rifle when stripper clip feeding the 700 action?

Based on the pictures you have posted, it appears the answer is NONE - that you've made a cutout for the recoil lug of the base, not an actual functional clip slot.

Does your cutout hold the clip and the pics just don't show it?

Here's a functional cip slot - the clip cannot be allowed to go down into the receiver if it is to remain functional. This one is a bit hard to see, but the radius in the rear corners is wider than the slot and does not go all the way through the top of the receiver, holding the clip captive while the rounds are stripped off of it.

IMG_0311.jpg

Drake - that is the root of my question. I have heard the M40 receivers referred to as "clip slotted" by so many people including rifle builders. This is the first time I've actually seen pics of the work done to the spec.

Just like you said, if the pics are able to show the work correctly, they are scope base lug slotted not clip slotted.

That is correct, clip slotting essentially a lose term for both procedures now days.

drake

NH,

"Clipslotting" is pretty much a generic term when discussing this.

Drake, how did your M40a3 turn up?is it finished ,GoB and ive been expecting you at the range.

The M40A3 is not clip sloted at all its only notched out front and rear for the base, the bridge is flattened and the back of the loading port is sloped. Not meant for a Stripper clip at all.

@George: Do you sell that action alone?

And, how's the A5 look like?

81sfo

i am ironing out some problems, I am hoping to be at the range soon... my build is kinda slow since i am building it piece by piece as money comes avail.

drake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@George: Do you sell that action alone?

And, how's the A5 look like? </div></div>

I can with a bolt of course.

M40A5 is now the official designation for the rifle

Its the same except with the Badger 5round DMS, PGW UNS Mount, and a Surefire Suppressor.

Drake,I get it , we thought maybe you were all done and wanted some alone time with her,jk.Let us know when shes done , we can meet up at american and shoot.thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M40A1 is Clip Sloted

M40A3 is Lug Sloted

M40A5 is Lug Sloted </div></div>

Thanks! That makes total sense - and I recall the "clip slotted" reference with the spate of M40A1 builds being done post the release of the take-off stocks by McMillan.

Just tell us where it is,well be there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey how can the guy in the second pic shooting the M40 see with that big ugly moustache? J/K TODD is a hell of a guy and a HELL of a fine shooter glad to see He is still around. If Todd reads this when you coming to S. Texas to visit us bitch? </div></div>

No shit... Todd can get straight loco on a bolt gun... hell he can get loco on a carbine too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is another Bud for you!! </div></div>

Thats two, my limit
wink.gif
</div></div>

lightweight
wink.gif

Roscoe...
i'd double check the arc on the ejection port slot, I think it mabye should drop down more, but that is just "eyeballing" based on the m40a3 pics... I don't have one to measure or anything. not trying to second guess you, just wondering more or less...

either way though, you rescued it from a fate worse than death, so you are really a miracle worker!

Yea, I've got a spec sheet coming tomorrow, I'll check it against that. The cut out thats there now is more like the A1 cut out and not the A3.

I see. either way it looks better than the Ross cut... that looked more like an angle grinder made gouge, lol. good job cleaning that up.

Well, spec sheet's here. The clean up cut I made is close but, it really needed to be done with a CNC Mill with the correct program loaded. I spoke with George today at GAP, he was a big help. Thanks for the spec sheet George. The rear of the cut in the ejection port is at 2.599" from the rear of the front receiver ring, the spec sheet shows it needs to be at 2.580". The bottom of the ejection port cut out is half way down from the top of the rear receiver ring. I PM'd Jose and recommended to leave it as is. It's as close as I can make it. At least it's one clean cut now, not two. The other cuts are not to spec and are not the A3 cuts per the specs.

I'm painting the rifle and sending it home to Jose. The good news is this, the out of spec cuts will not adversely affect accuracy.

There's alot of builds flying around with the right side cut only halfway down including builds done by Eric. I think that style of cut was "early" and they later brought the cut down...JMO