• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

Re: My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

Jose's rifle is painted and baking as I type. It'll be done at 1730hrs. Pics up at 1800 to 1830hrs, CT. It's 1642hrs now. It's headed home tomorrow for those keeping up with it.

While waiting for the rifle to bake, have another Bud - this one is for you!!

LOL!!

Dont get him drunk Buckey, i dont want the action baking with some ginger bread man as the remington logo!

81sfo,

Don't worry - it couldn't get any worse than the first gun hack you used - LOL!!

Seriously,

wnroscoe deserves a thumbs up for helping a fellow shooter out - its good to see!!

WHAT! no pics?

I want to thank you for all you are doing

Thanks for posting the problem and the fix. It will help the rest of us from falling into the same situation (and for seeing how a good gunsmith fixes all the mess).

Here's three pics of Jose's rifle. It's all packed up ready to go home. All metal in KG Gun Kote Flat Black.

6emz4j.jpg

14w5213.jpg

242iio9.jpg

I like it man!thanks.The side cut looks alot better.sweet.

quote:
"Here's a functional clip slot - the clip cannot be allowed to go down into the receiver if it is to remain functional. This one is a bit hard to see, but the radius in the rear corners is wider than the slot and does not go all the way through the top of the receiver, holding the clip captive while the rounds are stripped off of it."

The clip has nubs on the side that stop it from going into the action. The slot is just a guide for the clip.
PC160056.jpg

The M40a3 model isnt made for those provisions.The m40 during Vietnam was.Im not sure about the m40a1.

81sfo said:
The M40a3 model isnt made for those provisions.The m40 during Vietnam was.Im not sure about the m40a1.
I'm aware of that, now that I read this thread. I was just posting on how a stripper clip worked. It was one of the things that got the US in trouble with Mauser before WWI when they built the Springfield. It wasn't that the Springfield itself was a copy of the Mauser. It was certain features incorporated into the design.

So, you going to take this beauty out this weekend? Not that I'd love to be invited to shoot it or anything...
laugh.gif

PM me...I'll pay the range fees.

Matt, we're gonna be there every Sat regardless, no worry about range fees.

How was CanCun?

If i get the bedding done in time,i will take her out to the range matgyver.I dont want to rush the bedding so it will be cutting it close if the action arrives Friday morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quote:
"Here's a functional clip slot - the clip cannot be allowed to go down into the receiver if it is to remain functional. This one is a bit hard to see, but the radius in the rear corners is wider than the slot and does not go all the way through the top of the receiver, holding the clip captive while the rounds are stripped off of it."

The clip has nubs on the side that stop it from going into the action. The slot is just a guide for the clip.
PC160056.jpg

</div></div>

The rem 40x version and similar clip slot cuts ( they wrap around the front of the clip to hold it back ) from what I can see are not true clip slots in that sense. A clip slot on the old bolt action battle rifles (1903 Springfield) do not require you to pull the clip out before closing the bolt. The bolt ejects the clip when closing.

I had DD Ross do two actions with his scope base back in '97 or so. One turned out good and the other one was shit. He would not make it good. Several years later, on this site, a guy was asking about his work and I finally had a chance to return the favor. One of his friends saw the post and Dan called me wanting to make it right. He exchanged the action for another one that he had (later turned out it was a factory DBM action with no loading rails). Short story, he was willing to negotiate when he realized that I was willing to call him out in public. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I sold every thing that had his parts or came directly from him to include McMillan stocks and bottom metal. The stuff that he touches sucks so bad it makes me wonder if he had someone working for him at the time that did all of the machine work for his parts and rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stuff that he touches sucks so bad it makes me wonder if he had someone working for him at the time that did all of the machine work for his parts and rifles. </div></div>

wink.gif

Roscoe,
I'm glad you were able to help our boy out. I know how he felt with that sick feeling in his gut. Real nice that the internet levels the playing field.

Apparently, that same guy still works for him.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe,
I'm glad you were able to help our boy out. I know how he felt with that sick feeling in his gut. Real nice that the internet levels the playing field. </div></div>

Before I started building rifles, I used a smith west of here, (Dallas TX) During the last build he was working on for me, he lied to me several times and led me down the road for almost a year. I really respected that guy and looked up to his knowledge and accomplishments. When he lied to me, and I had proof, I pulled the plug and retrieved my stuff. I purchased a Lathe and the rest is history. I know what it's like to be lied to and shit on. While I've never received shit work personally, I know what it looks like. I can only imagine what one must feel like when he opens that most anticipated "Box" and finds a turd inside.

I didn’t do anything magical or special here for Jose, I just lent a helping hand to a fellow shooter. I try to be a stand up honest guy but, I do take it personally when we're shit on.

Will,
As much as you are downplaying what you have done, these are the things people here remember and why you will be one of the next posting up that you have to shut down orders for a while to play catch up. Good for you and you deserve any future orders you get from this. Please keep up the expectations and realize that people will wait and be happy for good service.
Again, good for you, and wish you well.
Chad

Thanks Chad. At the end of the day, our actions are what were judged by and all a man has is his word. It would be great if it were to work out like you say.

Kudos to you bro (wnroscoe) , your a definat stand up guy in my book , if thier is ever anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kudos to you bro (wnroscoe) , your a definat stand up guy in my book , if thier is ever anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask </div></div>

Thanks man, it means a lot to me to receive this type of support from the you guys.

Spoke with Jose this afternoon, the rifles home and he's happy. I'm sure he'll be posting something later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not send it back to the same shop. I would have someone inspect the barrel and action work also. If the same person built the whole rifle, logic brings me to think that the chambering and machine work was possibly completed with the same flair for detail.
TC </div></div>

Not trying to defend anyone but the "smith" might be very good at barrel and action work but lousy at bedding. If so he should stick with what he is good at and let someone else do the bedding. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing. If, however, this is how all his work comes out he needs to find a different profession.

I did in fact recieve the barreled action from William today. I Cant really describe with words how clean and professional his work turned out.The pictures dont do justice for it either.I was very happy with the machine work he did on the side of the reciever. William corrected the "step cut" and fixed the crown and applied an awesome baked coating that looks amazing.Im very happy with his lightning fast turn around and attention to detail.Communtication was top notch, William contacted me before each step he took and asked my opinion before taking action.William is a TOP NOTCH GUY to say the least.Im going to pillar bed the rifle this weekend and post further progress.Thanks William, and everyone else for the positive input and encouragement.
Jose

Heres some pixs of the bedding i did last night, it turned out ok, just one fault in front of the recoil lug.I re did that area and its drying now.You can barely see the contact of the pillars.I ended up using Holland Pillars instead of the badgers.Used 5 minutte Devcon epoxy for the pillars and Marine tex for the bedding.I know its not the best job but its my best.Its the fourth rifle ive bedded and im happy with the results.Ill post some pics of the fix when i pop it open again.
bd2.jpg

bd3.jpg

bd4.jpg

bd1.jpg

holpilars.jpg

holp2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Citysmasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it shoot now?

Looks amazing. Roscoe is my guy next project I do...</div></div>
Ill shooot it tomorrow if time permits, ive got my gear packed ready to go.
I if you want "FED EX" fast service go to Willaim for rifle work, hell shoot you straight.

Now finish it and post some more pics Jose, show us your NIB SIMRAD cap too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not send it back to the same shop. I would have someone inspect the barrel and action work also. If the same person built the whole rifle, logic brings me to think that the chambering and machine work was possibly completed with the same flair for detail.
TC </div></div>

Not trying to defend anyone but the "smith" might be very good at barrel and action work but lousy at bedding. If so he should stick with what he is good at and let someone else do the bedding. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing. If, however, this is how all his work comes out he needs to find a different profession. </div></div>

Sorry man but I'm calling bullshit on this. If you aren't good at a part of the job and you know you aren't good at it (anyone who has ever seen a bedding job knows this one sucked) then have the integrity to tell the customer and outsource the work. If something is as screwed up as this was then have the integrity to back up a product with YOUR NAME on it. If you are going to put your name on something it had better be perfect, especially in this business.

I have the feeling that as the result of this topic one smith has lost a lot of future work, I know I'd never use him, and another smith has picked up a lot of business for being a stand up guy.

There's sooo much more to this story, it's not even funny. Maybe one day Jose will share it with ya'll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's sooo much more to this story, it's not even funny. Maybe one day Jose will share it with ya'll. </div></div>

Aint that the truth..........

81sfo,

Not to kick you in the nuts but if you are still running the Badger M5 DBM I hope you cut the holland pillars to .720" and 1.070" these are a set dimension that Marty specifies so the mag will seat properly and have the correct standoff and orientation to the receiver. I think there is a little wiggle room but not much.

BTW - I thought you had a vertical mill, you might consider using it to cleanup the inlet after bedding. Not that this will make the rifle shoot any better, it will just look better when you take the B/A out of the stock.

Let us know how it shoots.

Ern

FNG23, yes i cut the pillars down to fit, and it fed great today that i shot it,I do have a vertical mill and will go back in and clean it up.My mill is only capable of a 3/8 shank bit and i wont be cleaning up the barrel channel with it.I wish i could fit a 1 1/2 ball nose bit in there.
Well heres my first range report today at 35 degrees and freezing my TEXAS ass!Im no longer a discliplined shooter in the cold.I shot it at 100 yds and using 168 FED GOLD MEDAL MATCH.
The group is about the size of a quater.I know it shoots better.
100ydgroup.jpg

Heres the expended brass, what a diffrence from before!no marks what so ever on the shoulder,thanks William!!!
brass2.jpg

I tried 175s the first time and it didnt like em, i prefer to 175s but the chamber was reamed for m855 168gn bullets, according to DDROSS.

I will try and load some 155 scenars, if the rifle likes them ill make up for the 175s in that way.The only thing about this rifle that i dont like "now" is that its made to shoot the 168s.!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried 175s the first time and it didnt like em, i prefer to 175s but the chamber was reamed for m855 168gn bullets, according to DDROSS. </div></div>

LMFAO, he told you that it was reamed for a 168g M855?

the only M855 i know of is a 62g .224 FMJ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried 175s the first time and it didnt like em, i prefer to 175s but the chamber was reamed for m855 168gn bullets, according to DDROSS.</div></div>

Nice! This gem of wisdom from him fits with the original rifle he put together for you.

M855 is a 5.56 Nato round with a 62gr steel "penetrator" core. Green tip, I believe.

I guess he meant m852 match ammo?not m855.