• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My Savage 308 build.

bryan308ftw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
I started with a Savage Stevens Model 200

nakedgun.jpg

New B&C Medalist
IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

I just got the rifle back from my gunsmith, he fitted a 26'' (1-10twist) SS Flutted barrel i got from Northnland supply.

I have a millet lrs on the way, temporarily i was using a 18x variable bushnell.

uplodthisone.jpg

thisonetoo.jpg

Sorry for the crappy iphone uploads, ill be sure to post some nicer photos in the future when the builds 100%. Im going to take the rifle to the shop this coming month for a bedding and a clean trigger job. I may look into jeweling the stevens bolt as well.

Re: My Savage 308 build.

Look firmiliar. I'll trade you my new trigger for your barrel though
wink.gif
I just got a new rifle basix sav-1 for my stevens and the difference is HUGE. But it's all in how you set up your trigger. Very nice I have to admit I'm jealous of the tube (me being tube envious of another dude doesn't happen often so take that as a huge completment
wink.gif
LOL.

Good luck,
Merritt

Bryan,

First off... Welcome to the Hide!! Second... Welcome to the wonderful world of Savage!! Enjoy the Savage sickness...

Nice looking rig you got there. When you get a chance, post up some pics of how she slings the lead!!

Make sure to read all the posting rules though... or get out the nomex suit and be at the ready!!

DK

good looking rifle. welcome to the nutty side of life. you can polish the bolt in a few spots and add a "lift kit" to tweak the action. makes it just about perfect. oh and we need to get you some tools. smiths are a thing of the past now
wink.gif

Nice looking rifle! I'm getting ready to start my build in the next few weeks myself, with a 10FP. Are you building it, or having it built by a 'smith?

I love watching others before I risk my cash. Thanks for the savage thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good looking rifle. welcome to the nutty side of life. you can polish the bolt in a few spots and add a "lift kit" to tweak the action. makes it just about perfect. oh and we need to get you some tools. smiths are a thing of the past now
wink.gif
</div></div>

I really want to fine tune my bolt and action. How do i go about finding a "lift kit"....thats more than just changing the bolt handle correct?

And thanks for the comments guys Ill be sure to take better photos of the stick in the coming days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle! I'm getting ready to start my build in the next few weeks myself, with a 10FP. Are you building it, or having it built by a 'smith?

I love watching others before I risk my cash. Thanks for the savage thread. </div></div>

I am doing it myself, im just having the smith help me out in areas where i lack the tools, as mentioned earlier, i have to get my hands on some good tools.

I have been trolling for a couple of days for a good Savage build thread.

The rig looks great. I just bought the same action in 7-08 and rebarreled it to 308 30 minutes before I left for work.

You definately need to get the barrel nut wrench and the barrel/action vise.

I bought the kit from Midway that had go/no go, nut wrench, barrel, bore polishing compound. (I know the ER Shaw might be a risk).

Build specs:
Stevens 200 SA with factory trigger. (Tune up or replacement soon)
.308 Win. 24" ERShaw 1-10" twist 416R Stainless heavy varmint contour.(installed)
B&C Medalist varmint/tactical in OD Green w/black web.(ETA 12-24-10)
9-13" Harris swivel type.(on hand)
4-14x50 30mm IOR w/illumin. MP8 dot ret.(on hand)
low Burris Tact. rings(ETA today!)
EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail(ETA today!)
Solid Brass badger profile bolt knob (made, milled and installed myself)

Thanks and good luck,

I'll post pics in two weeks when I get home (work for evil oil company in Gulf of Mexico)

You guys have a recommendation on trigger work for the Stevens 200 trigger or should I go the Rifle Basix/Timney route?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have a recommendation on trigger work for the Stevens 200 trigger or should I go the Rifle Basix/Timney route?

</div></div>

Im pretty sure timney makes a nice trigger for the Savage thatll drop right into the 200. Rifle basix is great too, midway has some triggers in stock now.

Skip the timney. Go rifle basix or sharp shooter supply. My 3 screw factory savage (Stevens doesn't have creep adjustment) is at 3 pounds. A guy on savageshooters.com gives out lighter piano wire to change the spring tension as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have a recommendation on trigger work for the Stevens 200 trigger or should I go the Rifle Basix/Timney route?

</div></div>

Rifle Basix, I have one that breaks cleaner than a "custom tuned" trigger that a friend paid a gunsmith to do.

Yeah like I said I just put in a sav-1 from rifle basix. My total travel on my trigger is about 1/8" and breaks cleanly at 1.5#s. I love it but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I'll let ya know how it shoots but it's definately worth the money in the feel department.

Also the bolt lift kit is well worth it. I get asked all the time how my bolt is so smooth. A bolt handle definately helps the feel.

PM me any questions you have. Also make sure with your B&C that your rear tang is floated.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryan308ftw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good looking rifle. welcome to the nutty side of life. you can polish the bolt in a few spots and add a "lift kit" to tweak the action. makes it just about perfect. oh and we need to get you some tools. smiths are a thing of the past now
wink.gif
</div></div>

I really want to fine tune my bolt and action. How do i go about finding a "lift kit"....thats more than just changing the bolt handle correct? </div></div>

click my name and view my posts and you will see most of the stuff i have done to my savage. the longer handle will help, and depending on your model (the 10pc and 10fcpk just for example) have a cocking indicator. mine doesnt so i made mine from a 38 case and ball bearing. you may need a thrust washer. but its doable. i think stockade sells the thrust washer if you cannot find it. but look at the thread called "DIY bolt lift kit" or something close to that

+1 on the Rifle Basix SAV-1. Super easy to adjust and get comfortable immediately with it. They work well with the Stevens receivers, and the Savage Accutrigger receivers as well. For the funds spent, they are well worth it.

The polishing modifications to the bolt and body work well. I have not done anything with the lift kit yet, but the concept is a good one. There is plenty of information around on all of it, just give the site a good run.

DK

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We need some additional Savage/Stevens shooters in on the Smack-the-Smiley competition!! It is all for a good cause, and the prizes are incredible... besides, it's just alot of fun!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We need some additional Savage/Stevens shooters in on the Smack-the-Smiley competition!! It is all for a good cause, and the prizes are incredible... besides, it's just alot of fun!!

DK </div></div>

Savage? Smack the Smiley? I am intrigued on 3 levels, and indulging in alliteration... Please, explain.

Man, if you think the sav-1 is a nice trigger then do yourself a favor and never shoot a SSS comp trigger! The sav-1 to me is nothing more than an accutrigger without the accurelease and a (very crude) sear engagement and overtravel adjustment. I bought one and installed it but never fired it because it felt so cheesy, would never hold adjustment, and had several bolt closings that would have resulted in a slam fire if I had chambered a round. Nedless to say i got my money back. You get twice the trigger in an SSS for only $20 more, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, if you think the sav-1 is a nice trigger then do yourself a favor and never shoot a SSS comp trigger! The sav-1 to me is nothing more than an accutrigger without the accurelease and a (very crude) sear engagement and overtravel adjustment. I bought one and installed it but never fired it because it felt so cheesy, would never hold adjustment, and had several bolt closings that would have resulted in a slam fire if I had chambered a round. Nedless to say i got my money back. You get twice the trigger in an SSS for only $20 more, IMO. </div></div>

I'm assuming you installed in on an accutrigger gun. It is really made for the old 110 style trigger that the Stevens is modeled after. I don't think it would work as well on the accutrigger reciever. The guy that had mine had it thread locked in a way to increase weight of trigger pull and made it feel gritty. He simply didn't have it adjusted right. Once I took 15-20 min getting mine adjusted just how I want it the trigger has more sear engagement surface than the stocker and still a lighter trigger pull and 1/8" of total travel. Everything is in the setup and the little things like polishing the sear just a little bit (be careful doing this because if you don't know what you're doing you can get youself in trouble).

Good luck,
Merritt

Nice Savage, you will love it! Roseberry and Axe are great resources. They both have helped me a lot when I was first starting out. Make sure you let us know how she shoots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage? Smack the Smiley? I am intrigued on 3 levels, and indulging in alliteration... Please, explain. </div></div>

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2234349#Post2234349

OK, not trying to highjack this thread...

Here is the link to what I was talking about. Smack the Smiley is a mail-in target competition here on the Hide. It is really alot of fun, for a great cause, and there are some awesome prizes to be had. That, and there is some awesome competition to shoot against. Give it a read, and then give it a shot!!

If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM...

DK

THanks guys,

I am going to do the "lift kit", stock replacement/bedding, scope install, load development and some other tuning when I get home. I will probably end up with the trigger from rifle basix as well.

Merrit, Thanks for the tip on floating the tang!!
I don't usually pillar bed so I think I'll add a shim under the tang and wrap the barrel with tape like usual to get my spacing right for the bedding.

tater

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THanks guys,

I am going to do the "lift kit", stock replacement/bedding, scope install, load development and some other tuning when I get home. I will probably end up with the trigger from rifle basix as well.

Merrit, Thanks for the tip on floating the tang!!
I don't usually pillar bed so I think I'll add a shim under the tang and wrap the barrel with tape like usual to get my spacing right for the bedding.

tater </div></div>

Yeah savages need the rear tang floated. Your better of sanding down your B&C around the tang. I guess you could add a spacer but then your recoil lug won't be flush against your slot in your stock. and if you put spacers on both action screws then there won't be any lateral support. I just used a dremel and slightly sanded down my area around my rear tang until I could slide construction paper down between the tang and the stock. I do it on all my savages as they require it.

Good luck,
Merritt

when i did mine, all i needed was the tape on the barrel to keep the poon floated. when you bed it, focus on getting the ejection port level with the stock and the tang should be floated.

also guys, SSS triggers are available at midway and brownells now. and they have a rimfire version too

Thanks,

I use Devcon steel epoxy to bed and the "shim" is only a couple hundredths thick (a few layers of masking tape)and will be removed after the bedding compound dries. If there are fitment issues (around trigger group etc.)I use the Dremel to remedy and also to make room behind the recoil lug and under the contact areas at the front and rear action screws so that I get the "stress free" bed job I want. The Devcon bedding did wonders for my three other rifle's accuracy and made the stock to action fit superb.

Man, I can't wait to get home and get some break in rounds through that baby!

Merry Christmas by the way!