• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Need M1 Garand gunsmith

chama

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2005
Kansa
Hello, I am expecting a new reworked M1 Garand from the CMP in the next few weeks. I would like to have it glassbed and accurized after I receive it. I need to know if anybody here on the hide knows of anybody
that specializes in M1 Garands. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

It seems like fewer and fewer people are around that work on Garands. I have bought parts from them with good service but have not had them work on my rifles, but Fulton Armory in Maryland is pretty well known for working on Garands. I have also bought parts from Orion 7 and they advertise M1 Garand gun smithing. I used to shoot match tuned M1 Garands in NRA Highpower competition but then I switched to the AR. My M1 smith was a Pearl Harbor veteran who unfortunately passed away in 2011. The CMP custom shop also advertises custom Garand work including glass bedding- have you asked them about doing the work you want before they deliver your rifle?

If I were you, I'd see how your Garand shoots as it comes from the CMP, I have a CMP service grade H&R that shot well enough as is that I used it to win Gold medals in JC Garand matches that the CMP put on.

I can suggest one in South Carolina and one in Norfolk, Virgina; if either of those are close. If not you're not near either I'd ask Isaac in South Carolina for a local smith.

I highly recommend Ted Brown http://www.tedbrownrifles.com/ I built a 308 garand a couple years ago then sent it to him to bed the rifle. I was very pleased with his work
Heres the rifle I built
413608316.jpg

I installed a USGI 7.62X51 NOS barrel on a real nice SA 5.4 receiver ,all I had to do was lap the bolt to get it to headspace.
Did some work to trigger group , has a nice 5lb pull.
List of parts are:
Excellent condition USGI NM front and rear sights and trigger group. Balance of the rest of parts are NOS unissued.
NOS Op Rod, NM gas cylinder, 65 series SA bolt, gas screw , lock and internals.
Stock is commercial and has had wood removed for function and accuracy .Did some NM mod work to the rear handguard but that's where I decided to leave the rest to the experts. Sent the rifle off to Ted Brown for a bedding job and NM work to front handguard. He remove the liner, glue and screwed lower band to front handguard
I am happy with his work and pleased on how this build turned out

413929706.jpg

413929707.jpg

413929712.jpg

413929708.jpg

413929714.jpg

413929710.jpg

413929711.jpg

413929713.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: deltawiskey
Unsure if Gus Fisher works on them any more but he built them for the USMC.

He is likely in a well deserved and I hope healthy retirement.

Join the Garand Collectors Association....

Cheap money, you get a great quarterly magazine and in the back of the mag there will be smiths offering accurizing services.

You will be able to get in touch with experts regarding your rifle.

I haven't been to a local gun show but Gus was working them last I talked to some one about the Hampton show.

OP hasn't been back on this thread. Mayhe he's just looking to get us old fuckers excited?

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Will figure something out when I receive my Garand.

Received my M1 yesterday, boy it is a beauty. I am going to wait for a no wind day before taking it out and sighting it in. I'll see how it will group before deciding whether to have it accurized. Meanwhile I will be loading up some NM loads.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
Received my M1 yesterday, boy it is a beauty. I am going to wait for a no wind day before taking it out and sighting it in. I'll see how it will group before deciding whether to have it accurized. Meanwhile I will be loading up some NM loads.

Pictures please....