• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New build - need to decide between these scopes?

300snipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Northern Nevada, NV
Building a new 1000yd 300win-mag rifle. Already have most of the goods just need to decide on a scope. For the time being I've taken the zeiss 6.5-20x off of my .223 target rifle so I can have some fun but eventually that scope needs to go back to it's home. So I'm trying to decide between the following three. I do want higher than 25x because I stare at a computer screen all day for work and my eyes aren't as great as they used to be. So in order of price:

1. Sightron SIII 8-32 for approx $850
2. Nightforce benchrest 8-32 for approx $1200
3. Nightforce benchrest 12-42 for approx $1350

I've read all of the search results for the scopes and read all of the documentation... I gather the nightforce is better but is it really going to be $400-500 better? For that extra money I can put it towards an A-5 stock... in the long run I don't mind spending a bit more if it's really going to be the best choice but I'd like to get some opinions. What would you buy?

Re: New build - need to decide between these scopes?

If your using your 300 WM, for benchrest shooting only, on a square range. then those are good choices. But you don't say what you need your scope for, other than 1000 yd shooting.

As far as your eyes go, what does starring at a computer screen all day, have to do with shooting? If you need glass get them. You do know that scopes have a diopter adjustment? If your eyes are so poor that you cannot see a target @ 1000 yds on 20x, (meaning of course that the target appears to be 50 yds away as seen through the naked eye), then I doubt that 32x or 42x will really help you.

On the other hand if precision is what you need, as in benchrest shooting, then those higher powers will help you. But that has nothing at all to do with your eyes......

I think you need to rethink your needs, and your eyesight....

Just saying....

you planning on going after a BR record? Can use 15x beyond 1000 yards. There are many who do this for a "living" and do very well with 10x

Correct, I'm going to be using it primarily at a range with precise distances for competition. Sometimes I go out in the desert and range out similar yards with a laser rangefinder and do targets there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct, I'm going to be using it primarily at a range with precise distances for competition. Sometimes I go out in the desert and range out similar yards with a laser rangefinder and do targets there. </div></div>

If you are doing this there are better options than the 300Win

Probably so but that would require buying a new rifle, which I already got a good deal on. If I get really serious about competition I'll get a custom rifle built. In the meantime this is what I have at my disposal. I'm guessing you mean a round like 6 BR, 6.5-284, or .300 Ackley - I know the .300wm is not perfect but I can learn with it and have fun. And if I go custom I can change out some parts and turn this back into a hunting rifle (without the big scope on it of course).

Ended up going with the NF BR 8-32, should be sufficient to move to the custom rifle if I go that route.

Thanks for the advice