• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New FLIR -The RS Dedicated Thermal Weapon Scope- 60mm units just arrived!

Well, with two FLIR T-70s, a FLIR T-60, and a FLIR T-50 and now a FLIR RS64-35, I've got allot to choose from, and it pays to be picky!!!

Yes it does! And hey, I know where you got one of those T-70's! :)

-Ed

Hi SkyPup,

I saw your comparison of the LS64 and the M18 and it made me wonder how does the RS64-35mm compare to those monoculars? I imagine the field of view is reduced to add eye relief? Is the image really as "good" as the M18 or is it more like the LS64?

Im going to buy a thermal and the RS64 35mm seems like an good first step but of course I don't know what I don't know.

I am taking some video through my RS64-35mm this weekend so will have some pics and videos to share.

Basically it is similar to the LS-64 but with a much bigger glass ocular lens and FOV is the same as both the LS-64 and M-18, which is very good IMHO.

FLIR RS64-35mm in my backyard tonight, absolute pitch dark out, drizzling rain, 42*F, worst possible conditions for thermal or any other NV equipment.

Six dogs came in to FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing Bay Bee Cottontail for less than ten minutes.

Dogs appeared out in deep woods 300+ yards out when I first picked them up, tree line is 225 yards, shot at closest dog @ 200 yards.

Only cowitnessed the RS64-35mm with my DBAL-D2 visible green laser at 50 yards when I got home before dark, apparently I need to rezero again at 200 yards as the shot went over him, however one connected with him at 225 yard, will look for him tomorrow when the bad weather clears out....

Coyote%20200%20Yards%201X.jpg

Coyote%20200%20Yards%202X.jpg

Coyote%20225%20Yards%20Hit.jpg

These images are compressed for the web, will upload video to You-Tube later....will rezero at 200 yards first thing tomorrow morning before the hogs show up.

Pictures and videos should be much crisper and clearer tomorrow as the bad low pressure storm is passing over and high pressure is moving in.

The view from the M-18 and RS64-35mm are pretty much similar, the size of the view is a little different with the M-18 having a larger ocular on it.

It is good I was able to blast one of those 'yotes under the worst conditions possible here tonight before the weather clears out tomorrow, because when I do get one when the conditions are ideal it will be mind blowing to compare the two.

On top of that, this is NOT some professional paid for planned out thermal dealer video, it is just me screwing around in my backyard!

Please excuse my ignorance once again but by looking at the resolution at magnified powers on all these FLIR units I can't hardly see how the higher magnification on say the RS64 2-16 power would even be usable past 8x or so. Am I wrong in this assumption?

All thermals are going to become pixelated over 6-8X, however they still shoot straight at higher magnification.

The model in particular that you are asking about has the huge expensive 60mm germanium lens on it for long range use, so it will be the least affected of all the models due to the large size of the lens focusing onto the microbolometer, although you will have a much smaller field of view using such a large long range lens.

That is the trade off of using such a large lens, you gain lots more range and can utilize higher magnifications, but your field of view shrinks to gain that.

When I was using the RS64-60mm, I could easily see a cow in the pasture one mile away and zoom in on them, but it was difficult to follow a hog at 50 yards due to the tiny FOV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
SkyPup, if I'm correct, you fired 3x. Why didn't you try KILLIN' that yote, instead of making it dance?;) Believe me amigo, I would probably only do worse. Thanks for posting this vid.

I've been studying your post with a lot of interest since you thermal owners have really piqued my interest. Unfortunately, a fractured tooth and subsequent extraction (no, not an air extraction) is going to cost an unbelievable $2K-$3K. Bummer.

Last edited:
I had just gotten home from work and attached the new scope to my SIG 556 and cowitnessed the green visible laser of my DBAL-I2 at 50 yards to the thermal reticule in my backyard by hand, not in a vise, which is NOT the best way to zero a thermal but a good start to get close onto the bullseye for final correction later.

Then the dogs showed up after dark, guess I should have had my NV helmet on and just used the IR laser to take him out, but that was not what I was there doing. I was working on getting some representative video out of the unit in order that folks could see approximately how a thermal rifle scope works in real life under real hunting conditions, and not some professional pre-planned perfect production. It is what it is because it is in my backyard in my spare time.

Today, I will place a handwarmer on my target bullseye at 200 yards and finish rezeroing the thermal scope rifle combination so that I am on target out to 225 yards with my 5.56mm shooting 77 grain Sierra Matchkings.

In the video, you can see that I targeted his chest and the bullet went over his back since the green laser and thermal did not match up exactly. A couple of MOA off at 50 yards makes for a miss at 200+ yards as you can see. He did get hit in the back once and I will go out hunting for him, the buzzards are all over out there now prolly enjoying some fresh fur....

Here is how I sighted in my RS64-35mm today, zero at 50 yards onto hot hand warmer and then move to 200 yard for the last couple of clicks:

RS64%2035%20Target.jpg

RS64%2035%20Target%20CloseUp.jpg

Here is how I sighted in my RS64-35mm today, zero at 50 yards onto hot hand warmer and then move to 200 yard for the last couple of clicks:

RS64%2035%20Target.jpg

RS64%2035%20Target%20CloseUp.jpg

I've been making some steel targets that are very easy to provide constant heat to for use with thermal scopes. I have tested them from -10 degree weather to 60 degree weather and they work great! Let me know if you are interested in getting one. :D

FLIR RS64-35mm on my kick arse Ruger #1 master sniper blaster, there is absolutely nothing anywhere near my backyard that can survive on handloaded 7mm Rem Mag!

HOGS N' DOGS BE GONE!

RS64%20Ruger.jpg

RS64%20Ruger%20Close.jpg

Don't do this with your RS though, they are currently only rated up to 7.62X51mm in a gas operated modern sporting firearm, so this is not kosher.

However, the FLIR GS T-50, T-60, T70, and T-75 are all rated up to Browning .50 cal M2 full automatic machine gun fire!

It does kick like a mule, five shots target practicing is all I can take before I start flinching and my shoulder is getting a workout.

It is kewl with modern technology meeting old time tech though.

I am eager to get the flir RS64, my only concern is the internal battery. Hopefully there will be a way of carry an extra battery in the field, that will possibly secure to my weapon system. Skypup thank you for all of your up to date information. Before this thread I had my sights set on the armasight Apollo. But I'm sure I want the RS64 35mm.

I have yet to wear down the internal battery in either my LS64 or PS32 during a full nights hunt and we hunt hard and allot, and Anker 15,000mAhr USB charger that I keep in the truck specifically for recharging in the field has NOT been used once in the last two years, it is peace of mind insurance if you ever do need it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

I have yet to wear down the internal battery in either my LS64 or PS32 during a full nights hunt and we hunt hard and allot, and Anker 15,000mAhr USB charger that I keep in the truck specifically for recharging in the field has NOT been used once in the last two years, it is peace of mind insurance if you ever do need it though.

Link to find said charger please?

This is one of the ones that I have, it is the best price, size, and deal, has both 1A and 2A USB charging outlets and holds a charge for months on end:

Amazon.com: Anker® Astro E5 15000mAh Dual USB Portable Charger Ultra-High Density High Capacity External Battery Backup Power Pack for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPad Air, 5, 4, 3, 2, Retina Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, 3, Tab 3, Google Nexus

If you are on a two week hunting trip campout with no generator or AC electrical outlet for 100 miles in any direction, this will keep both your FLIRs, your smartphones, your GPS, etc. charged up the entire time.

Last edited:
When the Zombie Apocalypse hits and Obama's walking dead are invading your properties and homes for the fresh blood of our children, you can always keep your FLIR Thermal Weapon Sight up and running collecting solar radiation from the nuclear blasts with one of these, as long as you are not holed up underground in your bunker:

Amazon.com: Anker® 14W Solar Panel Foldable Dual-port Solar Charger for 5V USB-charged Devices Including GPS Units, iPhone, iPad, Android Phones and Android Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories

When you are ripping Zombie's bodies apart nonstop with bullets for hours and hours on end, you can plug either one of these units into your FLIR RS Thermal scope to keep it powered on for 50-60-70 hours of nonstop engagement, just remember to only target COLD objects, the HOT ones are the good guys....

When the Zombie Apocalypse hits and Obama's walking dead are invading your properties and homes for the fresh blood of our children, you can always keep your FLIR Thermal Weapon Sight up and running collecting solar radiation from the nuclear blasts with one of these, as long as you are not holed up underground in your bunker:

Amazon.com: Anker® 14W Solar Panel Foldable Dual-port Solar Charger for 5V USB-charged Devices Including GPS Units, iPhone, iPad, Android Phones and Android Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories

See? GREEN is not just for yuppies and their Ipads!

Vic, Any 64s in stock??

Initial 640, 35mm's sold out on our 3 initial batches. This is why we did the email pre-order at the onset. We knew the demand was that high and lot's of folks jumped on. Our next batches of the 640 35mm's are arriving next month.

We have 19mm, 320's in stock now but those are going fast.

Vic

Just some representative pics through the FLIR RS64-35mm of some deer hanging around my game cam tree at 175 yards in the dark on a nice night, the forest canopy is @ 225 yards and you can easily see into the tree canopy out 300 yards plus.

The FOV and resolution are very similar to my expensive FLIR GS T-70 Thermal Clip-Ons...

I'll post some video tomorrow when I get a chance.

RS64%2035%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%202X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%204X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%208X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

Here is a You-Tube video of the FLIR RS64-35mm thermal weapon scope of some deer out back of the house, my game cam tree they are standing around is a laser measured 175 yards distant, the beginning of the slash pine tree canopy behind that is 225 yards and you can see out into the canopy 300 or so yards clearly. The deer are from 175 to 225 yards in the video.

Pitch black dark out, 50*F, no fog or rain.

You can run the video on 720 pixels as that is what it is recorded at for better clarity and representation of what you actually see though the scope:

RS64 35mm Deer 175 to 225 yards - YouTube

This is my favorite combination for the kind of hunting that we do at night, a 640 core with a 35mm lens, everything out 225 yards is toast with a precise shot placement.

The 320 core and 35mm lens will get the same job done with 1/2 the FOV and a little more blur but still work real well.

The FOV with that 640 is what is killer, at 1X the FOV at 200 yards distance is almost 100 yards, at 2X it is 50 yards, at 4X it is 25 yards, and at 8X it is still about 10 yards.

With a 320 core and a 35mm lens you will get 1/2 this FOV and a little more blur but will still perform pretty good at this range.

Here is a representative video of the FLIR RS64-35mm thermal system at 125 yards of looking at a possum hanging around some dead hog offal adjacent to the alligator pond in my backyard, the game cam tree is 175 yards out and the slash pine tree canopy is 225 yards out.

WARNING: No possum was injured during the filming of this thermal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPEa498rvw

Again, you can run the video in 720 HD full screen to get an idea of the thermal performance of this system...

The German reticule is the absolute best to hit something on the run like a wounded hog or coyote, it is intuitive to your minds eye on a moving target without having to consciously think about it

Great question, not sure how many are Hide members that already received units that blew out of here even before they arrived last week with all the pre-orders. The 35mm/640 are sold out the first 3 batches, we just have a few 19mm/320 left on the shelves which will probably be gone over the weekend. Get em while they last!

FLIR19mm_zpsbba745a4.jpg

Vic

Last edited:
Vic, why not post some shots through a 320/19 next to a 640/35. I can't commit to buying until i've seen the difference online or in person.

Vic, why not post some shots through a 320/19 next to a 640/35. I can't commit to buying until i've seen the difference online or in person.

Unfortunately pics along with all the video shown here and other posts claiming the LWTS vs. the T-70 etc. NEVER show to show the true differences which also is the case for I2 devices. NV especially when we see glorious pics of Gen 1, and 2 that rival Gen 3 in picture form and are used for marketing stuff. :-( We do not doctor pics to make up for lost pixcels in the camera and therefore even the 640 image res of thermal never really looks as good as the 35 or 19 for that matter. This is why I refrain from taking pics nowadays as many are fooled thinking this or that about a device based on what a camera see's. I used to take thousands of pics a few years ago and all it did was fool many as these pics never represented what I saw. :-(

I can send you a few in a few weeks when I get another 640 in but you will not be convinced on what you can or cannot see. This will most likely be in the form of a Vid still as holding a camera on the back of a thermal device is terrible vs. doing that with a I2 device. :-( Thanks!

Vic

Too bad you don't have any stocking dealers in South Florida to which I could compare :D.

The original comparison from SkyPup's TNVC/FLIR hunting outing a few weeks ago showed a 320x19 next to a 640x35 (BELOW).

But Skypup said "More to come later...plus that was in the rain!" about the test.... So I can see there is similar FOV but would like to see it on a clear night.....

at_50yds.jpg