• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New FLIR -The RS Dedicated Thermal Weapon Scope- 60mm units just arrived!

That sounds a LOT better! When you said the 320 core would be "1/4 the range of the 640", I just figured the 640 data in the chart X 0.25. I guess that was not correct extrapolation, huh?

Have you ever messed with a Raytheon W1000-9? That's another option I'm considering in the same price range. Both have features I like and dislike.

Thanks

A 320 core has 1/4 the number of pixels in its array that a 640 core has, however what size lens also impacts the resolution significantly.

SkyPup you are one of the few people on this post that I truly listen to when it comes to NV and thermals, but that chart confuses the hell out of me when you say that the 320 core offers 1/4 the range 640. It makes one consider if the 320 is worth making. Now maybe I don't know how to read this chart or this chart is only for reference when compared to the 640 core. It would be nice if we could get the same chart on the 320 core. I hope you don't take of fence to any of this. But I would love to see the actual chart for the 320 core since it's more in my budget.

Thanks for all you do,
Jeff

We will be using them in the field next weekend for some real time review, photos, videos, etc. So don't let the chart confuse you, a 320 core is a powerful thermal imager when matched up to a good lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

Can't wait for the pictures. If you can compare apples to apples. FLIR is killing me building my lake shack. Thanks SkyPup.
Good night,
Jeff

Here is a short video of me shooting a coyote through my 320 core FLIR thermal weapon scope at 160 yards, it is compressed about 5X for the internet from what the raw video is. I thought I had missed him, but I blew out his lungs and found him the next morning right where he entered the woods at the end of the video which is 250 yards away in the video.

This is with an old 320X240 25 micron core, the new FLIR RS 320 core is a 17 micron core.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T50/Missed Coyote/Missed Coyote.wmv

Here is my game cam tree at 175 yards through the 320 core FLIR thermal in Black Hot, the far tree line is 225 yards. These photos are compressed about 5X for the internet:

175%20Yard%20Tree%20Night%20Inverse.jpg

Here is the same scene in White Hot:

175%20Yard%20Tree%20Night%20White.jpg

So, don't let anyone tell you a 320 core is worthless....

I have a couple RS32 2.25x's on order and returning one of my Thor 320 3x's as soon as the RS's ship. Can't wait to test them out in the field!

When you test them out Skypup I can't wait to see whatcha say. Happen to be using one of the RS32 2.25x models? Hope so!

Rs 32

I have a couple RS32 2.25x's on order and returning one of my Thor 320 3x's as soon as the RS's ship. Can't wait to test them out in the field!

When you test them out Skypup I can't wait to see whatcha say. Happen to be using one of the RS32 2.25x models? Hope so!

Which objective did you order and how long of a wait time are did they give you. I'm thinking on the rs32 2.5 x 35mm but I'm new to the game and haven't decided yet. I've got three calls into a dealer in Ga and haven't heard from them yet.

New FLIR announcment at Shot: The RS Dedicated Thermal Weapon Scope

Getting the RS32 2.25-9x with 35mm lens. I mainly spot and stalk and shoot inside 100 yards. Mostly shoot around 50 yards on a pack so any more magnification hinders follow up shots when they scatter... I think that model will work nicely.

I was told they should ship first half of March, but time will tell.

We will be testing all these units out in the field on some hogs and coyotes this weekend with FLIR reps at my ranch:

RS-32 1.25-5 320X240 19mm $ 3,999
RS-32 2.25-9 320X240 35mm $ 4,499
RS-32 4-16 320X340 60mm $ 7,499
RS-64 1.1-9 640X480 35mm $ 6,499
RS-64 2-16 640X480 60mm $ 8,999

Video and pics and reviews to follow....

Awesome! I'll be interested in what you have to say about the RS32 2.25x

Have fun!

We will be using a couple of SIG 556s 5.56mm Barnes 70 grain, a couple of SIG 716s 7.62mm Barnes 1`30 grain, and a Noveske 6.8SPC, plus my SIG P-229 .357 SIG handgun with IR laser.

The mil-spec T-70 is made by FLIR GS for USSOCOM, it is not a consumer instrument like the FLIR PS division RS series are.

Waiting for Side by side photos of the same target through the different options.

Would like to see Low and Max magnification for EACH FLIR scope @ 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000 meters or yards.

If I am going to plop down $3500-$8k on Thermal, I want to know what I'm getting.

There will not be any 500-1000 yard shots at night in the Florida swamps this weekend, I only have one 250 yard range on my ranch.

Play with the TS32 2.25x 35mm... Hope ya get some good vid/pic's... Looking forward for a good review!

Thanks for the link! Hmmmm they seem to have left out the 320 35mm model... Boo! :/

Thanks for the range test comparison. I think this is what most of us starting to get into thermal needs.

Thanks again,
Jeff

It appears that these sights are set so low they will not cantilever over a rear BUIS. Is that correct? That would be a bummer.

Don't know about that, but that clear a DBAL on top the front rail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

It would be interesting to know what all charging systems will come with the unit and what type power supply would be needed to charge the units. I'm sure a 110v home charger and a 12v car charger will be included? Let us know if you have actual run time test numbers skypup.

Okay, we have been out in the woods using the new FLIR RS Thermal Weapon scopes for the last four day, so forgive me for not answering emails and PMs as we were up at 4AM hunting all day and home again at 2AM to butcher out the night kills. Running full bore on 2-3 hours of sleep per day or perhaps a nap during the afternoon in a stand tends to run you down some....[:)]

It was a difficult time with the weather as it was record heat here with 100% mono-thermal environmental temperatures due to the rain and fog and 100% humidity, making it difficult to use both NV & Thermal, but we scored good and all had a damn good time. One night we had clear skies and was the best for using all the high-tech gear and it was put to best good use that night.

I think the funniest story was when we put Victor DiCosola of TNVC on a hog trail by himself with my SIG 556, FLIR T-70/ACOG and DBAL-D2 laser illuminator, two other groups were a 1/4 mile away from him and heard sounder groups of hogs approaching in the night through the thick inpenetrable swamps all around us. Vic had probably a 30 foot clear shooting range from dense underbrush in the hardwood hammock all around him sitting in a chair. He did not know the other groups had heard the hogs coming up out of the swamps into the hardwood hammock as he was alone in the woods. But the hogs bypassed our two other groups somehow and headed up the trial that we had Vic setup on.

He heard quite a bit of thrashing and grunting all around him and low and behold he was surrounded by a large sounder coming right in the trail on him, see eyes he scrambled to get into a shooting position, hoping that the hogs right near all around him would not charge him, one shot right between the eyes with a handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX dropped a hog in it tracks and the sounder busted out through the woods scrambling all around him. Probably would have been much safer to have been in a tree stand next time!!! LOL

Angelo Brewer of FLIR Corporation brought six of the FLIR RS Thermal weapon scopes with him, we sighted them in at laser measured 50 yards on a handwarmer and were shootin 1/4-1/2 groups in two minutes after first putting the scopes on, the scopes are super easy to sight in, for accuracy I would recommend shooting at 200 yards for final dial in. Three hogs were taken down with both the FLIR RS64-60mm lens, the FLIR RS35-60mm and FLIR RS64-35mm. All worked very well under the extreme environmental conditions and were simple to setup and adjust. If you can use a FLIR PS-32 or LS-64, you can use one of these thermal instruments as they are very intuitive to use and functional to adjust in the night.

Here are some pics from our hunts:

FLIR RS64-60mm on my SIG 556:

SIG%20556%20FLIR%20RS64%20Hog%20Bones.jpg

Guns and FLIR Thermals in trunk:

Guns%20and%20Scopes%20Trunk.jpg

Rifles sighted in:

Guns%20and%20Scopes.jpg

My shooting range on power line at night through thermal:

FLIR%20M18%20View.jpg

Angelos' Noveske on his stand:

Angreo%20Noveske%20RS64.jpg

Angelos' first sow hog:

Anhelo%20Hog%20FLIR%20RS35.jpg

Nicks RS35-60mm hog @ 125 yards:

Nick%20Hog%20RS35.jpg

RS35-35mm hog at 125 yards:

FLIR%20RS35%20Hog.jpg

Vic on his stand after sunrise:

Vic%20Feeder.jpg

Last edited:
Group hog pic:

Group%20Hog%20Pic.jpg

Vic with ANVIS and his nice tusker:

Vic%20Hog%20Tailgate.jpg

Finishing up dressing out the hogs:

Dressing%20Hog%20In%20Barn.jpg

More to come on the use and performance of the FLIR RS scopes later, stay tuned....

Last edited:
I could easy see a human being at 3/4 mile and a car over 1 mile and felt comfortable taking a shot at 300 yards with my .308.

I could easy see a human being at 3/4 mile and a car over 1 mile and felt comfortable taking a shot at 300 yards with my .308.

which scope was this?

I already have a D740 w/torch pro
what would you recommend, PS32 or RS-32, 2.25-9 - $4,499.00 / 320X240, 35mm
mainly for spotting coyotes out to say 2-400 yards
Not that much difference in price
will they both have the same range

Why not get the RS32 so you can have the option of a weapon sight?

which scope was this?

I already have a D740 w/torch pro
what would you recommend, PS32 or RS-32, 2.25-9 - $4,499.00 / 320X240, 35mm
mainly for spotting coyotes out to say 2-400 yards
Not that much difference in price
will they both have the same range

It was the RS64 with 60mm lens.

The RS32 with 35mm lens would detect coyotes out 500 yards or so and shoot them within 225 yards, you could also use it as a handheld similar to the PS 32 series.

It was the RS64 with 60mm lens.

The RS32 with 35mm lens would detect coyotes out 500 yards or so and shoot them within 225 yards, you could also use it as a handheld similar to the PS 32 series.

SkyPup
THANKS
I will look into the RS-32 35mm, Seems like it would be the best of both worlds,
mounted on a weapon and handheld

What yardage would you sight it in for?
Can you sight in when the sun is bright

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart
when it says set dead center at 0.0, what is that?
can you explain on setting the RS-32 35mm. lets say on a 223 or 308. for a 100 yard zero do I set the scope at 0.84. what does the 0.84 number mean

I think I need a thermal for dummies book

0.0 at Dead Center is the default reticule setting when the instrument is first turned on after you have mounted it on your rifle's rail.

After you first fire a couple of rounds at Dead Center and see where the POI is, you adjust the POA using the chart specified above for your specific RS model until POA=POI at your new Dead Center.

The adjustment units are in MOA no matter what caliber rifle you are shooting.

Turn it off and it is always there unless you manually change it....

SkyPup,

Any chance for that 320x35 vs 640x35 and 320x60 vs 640x60?

Also, This may be a silly question, but are these scopes usable in the daylight?

New FLIR announcment at Shot: The RS Dedicated Thermal Weapon Scope

You can use thermal during the day SN13... But the warmer the temp, the harder it will be to tell what's what...

If you want to sight in a thermal scope during the day just use a frozen water bottle.

Last edited:
I got a video last night with the mini DVR through the FLIR Thermal Scope RS64-60mm of a group of coons at my 175 yard feeder, but mostly it is just for demonstrating how to operate the menu controls to setup the scope for different reticules, different reticule colors, different pallates, white hot/black hot in the different pallets, adjusting screen display brightness, automatic off control setting, and setting default boot up mode.

Will work on getting it organized this week to link to later on.

RS-32, 4-16 $7,499.00 320X340, 60mm
RS-64, 1.1-9 $6,499.00 640X480, 35mm
These are the two I'm interested in for use on hogs and yotes, maybe a coon or 12. Am I better off with the 60 mm or the 640X480 with the 35mm. Which will give the best image, and video?

Haha Skypup I bet you're wishing you wouldn't of told us you were having all the fun with these new scopes before you drafted your report...

With that said.... HURRY UP with the specifics on the RS32 2.25x 35mm!!! Hahaha. :)

Okay, I know I may catch allot of heat (hell) here for posting my own personal opinions as a result of my use of thermals over the years, so here is my knowledgeable learned advice for thermal beginners (NOT experts) to rip into me over....lol
smile.png

Either an RS32 or RS64 with 35mm lens would suffice for 95% of all hunting situations I find myself in with 5.56mm and 7.62mm out to 225 yards and placing an accurate lethal shot.

After a couple of years of thermal scope experience what I have learned is that I WANT MAX FOV, being out in the woods at night under all kinds of weather conditions, often times not knowing or familiar with the terrain and environment of where I am at from previous visits during daylight, max FOV is a major asset.

I find that FOV is absolutely a top notch requirement for me to hunt. Ease of use of the ergonomic controls is also a huge asset in the dark when seconds count. Follow up moving shots also require wide FOV and a nice open uncluttered reticule to shoot off.

I also like a 0.5X or 1.0X ability as anything magnified is just for zooming in at, most of the time it is being used in the lowest power possible.

It is kinda like when I first got my FLIR T-70 thermal:

I shot all these pigs alone by myself at night in about 20 seconds with a 7.62mm & T-70 (there were two more bodies I recovered the next day too for a total of 7 confirmed and recovered kills in 20 seconds):

SIG%20716%205%20Hogs.jpg

All the other supposed "experts" were making statements to me like:

"Oh, that's not powerful enough, you need larger than a 35mm lens, get a 60-100mm lens instead. BS, it blows away everything I ever shoot at.

That T-70 is only 640 resolution in the 0.5X mode, in 1X unity mode it is 320 resolution. BS, I absolutely LOVE the 0.5X mode, wish more thermals were marketed with it, everyone that uses it also comments on how much they like it too.

The mil-spec L3 LWTS is so much better than the mil-spec FLIR T-70. DOH, it does not have 0.5X mode and their availability/service is next to nil, FLIR has absolute killer service and accessibility to their excellent service network.

Basically, an LS-64 hand held thermal scanner does 95% of everything I ever need to do, a RS64-35mm thermal rifle scope will also.

A PS-32 hand scanner also will do 90% of everything I ever need to do, and an RS32-35mm thermal rifle scope is even better than that!

60mm lenses are for long range 300+ yard shots at night, which is not happening in the swamps and jungles I hunt in, nor am I capable of making a safe effective 300 yard shot at night anyhow in most situations.

35mm lenses are great for extended short range shots at night out 225+ yards, which covers most of what I do.

19mm lenses are great for short range 100-125 yard shots, which is plenty for allot of predator hunting or hog hunting situations too.

Both the 320 and 640 cores perform real well, the 640 performs better at higher magnifications and is a tad clearer, but out 225 yards like I said, they both perform real well.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback Skypup. I agree 100% with needing a wider FOV for close - mid range and a necessity for follow up shots on a pack of hogs...

Can't wait to get my RS's in!

RS%20Models.jpg

Ok so if we look at this chart....

RS32-19mm has 16* FOV
RS32-35mm has 9* FOV
RS64-35mm has 18* FOV
RS64-60mm has 10* FOV

Since one MoA at 100 yards is 1.047 inches. and there are 60 minutes in 1*, 1* of FoV would equal 62.82" or 5.235 feet, or 1.745 yards at 100 yards.

Am I correct? I backed into it, yes I'm correct.

If I am that means that at 100 yards the HFOV would be:

RS32-19mm has 16* FOV = 27.92 yards
RS32-35mm has 9* FOV = 15.705 yards
RS64-35mm has 18* FOV = 31.41 yards
RS64-60mm has 10* FOV = 17.45 yards

To me, if HFOV is the KEY, the RS32-19 and the RS64-35 are where you want to be?

But then the difference of Resolution/detection comes into play. RS32-35 seemed to be the nice spot of resolution and capability, but if the FoV is going to be too tight to function close in, then maybe it's not worth it?

Skypup? Thoughts?