• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

On the one hand, if the Nosler 26 is being marketed solely as the ultimate long range hunting cartridge the barrel life doesn’t really matter if guys aren’t shooting steel and paper all the time. 800 rounds minus setup up and occasional adjustment rounds is still a hell of a lot of animals. However, 95% of hunters don’t and still wouldn’t, take shots on game out to the limits of this hot rod cartridge......so what is the point of the extra recoil and having a rifle thats gonna wear out if you shoot it for fun when the 6.5 GAP would more than get the job done :) The market is gonna be so niche for this calibre I think its gonna fail, target shooters won’t want it, and their aren’t enough ultra extreme bad ass hunters to be bothered with it.

Those are just the thoughts of a poor soul who lives in England now and never gets to go hunting or shooting:( Its a rich mans game over here, and I am a student.

Are the Xtreme Hunters going to be built on the new Hunter Deviant???

BTW, the 26 Nosler case the rep. had where I was is just a 7mm RUM necked down, even had the 7mm RUM headstamp.

FYI, I emailed copper creek asking if 300 SAUM brass is available for purchase unprocessed.

The answer is no.

Due to the time that it takes to form the brass, they do large runs of brass to have it in stock ready to go for the people wanting to load this cartridge on their own. C4 does a huge service by taking on the task of trimming, neck turning, sizing down for you! :D

Due to the time that it takes to form the brass, they do large runs of brass to have it in stock ready to go for the people wanting to load this cartridge on their own. C4 does a huge service by taking on the task of trimming, neck turning, sizing down for you! :D

Thank you for explaining that to me.

e3eny4e4.jpg

I would have copper creek make them for me if I did it again.
yga4u2ub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting ready to order a reamer from PTG but I am not sure if I want to get the .296 Nk or the .2962 Nk? Why would I want one over the other. Neck turning does not concern me even though I have never done it. I would just like to know if there is a preference for one over the other?
I'm sure this has been answered before on the 34 page thread so I am sorry in advance.

Thanks,
Thomas

e3eny4e4.jpg

I would have copper creek make them for me if I did it again.
yga4u2ub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad Bro! I destroyed a few myself before I got it. I turn my necks to .016 and use the .298 reamer so when brass is available I won't have to do all this brass prep.

Darren

I am getting ready to order a reamer from PTG but I am not sure if I want to get the .296 Nk or the .2962 Nk? Why would I want one over the other. Neck turning does not concern me even though I have never done it. I would just like to know if there is a preference for one over the other?
I'm sure this has been answered before on the 34 page thread so I am sorry in advance.

Thanks,
Thomas

The .296 Nk referred to is actually .2962 printed on the reamer. Same thing. They actually list it on their website now as a standard reamer print I believe.

The .296 Nk referred to is actually .2962 printed on the reamer. Same thing. They actually list it on their website now as a standard reamer print I believe.

Ok so which reamer print is for what? No neck turn and neck turn?

I could be wrong but I think the no turn is .298".

Personally with the Nosler 300 SAUM brass and a no turn chamber I'd go .300". I don't know what the Remington brass thickness is in the neck but if I were to guess the Nolser is a little thicker.

Neck turn is the .296/.2962. No neck turn is .298. You might want to confirm, but here is a screen shot from PTG website. I specified the .296nk .081 FB when I ordered. .2962 is printed on the reamer.

Ahh, looks like I made a mistake on my earlier post. I meant .298nk not .296. But now I get that issue.

So what are the gains you achieve when you go with the neck turning option (.2962nk)? Just more consistent neck tension?

Sweet. My order is confirmed and my deposit has been placed. Now for the long 6 month count down. Oh boy I'm excited. I do wish the BEAST was out though so I could read some more reviews. I still need to decide on an optic for this gun.

I could be wrong but I think the no turn is .298".

Personally with the Nosler 300 SAUM brass and a no turn chamber I'd go .300". I don't know what the Remington brass thickness is in the neck but if I were to guess the Nolser is a little thicker.

If you size down Norma 300 saum brass to 6.5mm. The unturned neck measures .298 loaded with a 140vld. I neck turn them to .016 and that gives me a .295 loaded neck diameter for the .298 reamer. Seems to me that the .298 will only be a no turn reamer with proper headstamp bass once George has it available. With sized down 300 brass .300-.302 seems about right for a no turn reamer.

Darren

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the proper head stamped brass will be made for the .296" turn neck reamer dimensions...

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the proper head stamped brass will be made for the .296" turn neck reamer dimensions...

Could be. I was just saying that it looks like the only unturned bass that will have clearance for the .298 reamer would be the proper headstamped brass. George told me that it looks like it's going to be Norma. Based on the neck thickness of the Norma brass I have, a loaded neck will be .2945.-.2948. It could be specked out to be a little thinner for the .296 reamer, I didn't ask. I just sized down some 7mm brass to see how the unturned necks would measure loaded with a vld and this is what I got. I grabbed 3 cases, each of them was selected at random from a bag of several hundred. Seems a little tight for a .298 chamber that's going to be used in the field.

Norma: .2965
Nosler: .2965
Remington: .2965

Darren

Last edited:
Guys, I would probably go with the reamer that George runs and neck turn your brass. There is a reason why he chose to go that route and I would go with his thinking IMHO. :D

Guys, I would probably go with the reamer that George runs and neck turn your brass. There is a reason why he chose to go that route and I would go with his thinking IMHO. :D

I gotta agree with KYS. FWIW, I got curious about bullet concentricity run out on un-turned necks, so I seated 6 with unturned necks and checked them. All of mine with turned necks measure at or under .001 run out. The six I seated with unturned necks ran between .003 and .005. I know it's some extra time and money, but it's worth it to me.

And awesome rifle pictured above. Branden's paint work?

Last edited:

+++++^^^^^, by the way I believe George stated the correct HS brass will be for the .2962" reamer either in this thread or the other one "care and feeding". The blue print for success has been given to us so why not follow it?

Last edited:
In my AO H1000 is not available. H4831sc, Superformance,h414, R22 is about all that can somewhat be found. Any one have data for any of these powders. Thank you in advance.

In my AO H1000 is not available. H4831sc, Superformance,h414, R22 is about all that can somewhat be found. Any one have data for any of these powders. Thank you in advance.
Can you get Retumbo or some have had good results with Ramshot Magnum. From the ones you listed I would try R22.

bas402 the 4 I listed is all I can seem to find. Alaska is still in powder, primer and ammo shortage. Thanks for 22 tip.

George,

Are the Whidden Dies being made to specs of the New Reamer print?

I just tried out my Whidden 6.5 SAUM dies. Uh, they didn't work so well, .010" sizing on the width of the diameter of the case at the shoulder compared to fired brass. Then for some reason I had to bump the shoulder back .014" to get the bolt to close. I got off the phone with them 15 minutes ago and they said to send them back with some fired cases. Bummer!

The Redding typeS bushing die only sizes .002" of the diameter of the shoulder compared to fired case with a normal .002" bump.

I have know idea if these dies are to match GAP's reamer.

I just tried out my Whidden 6.5 SAUM dies. Uh, they didn't work so well, .010" sizing on the width of the diameter of the case at the shoulder compared to fired brass. Then for some reason I had to bump the shoulder back .014" to get the bolt to close. I got off the phone with them 15 minutes ago and they said to send them back with some fired cases. Bummer!

The Redding typeS bushing die only sizes .002" of the diameter of the shoulder compared to fired case with a normal .002" bump.

I have know idea if these dies are to match GAP's reamer.

It doesn't sound like it, man. I have a custom die set from Whidden that they made based off my .260 reamer print. They are excellent.

Yeah I agree. They made me a 20x47L die which is a good fit to my reamer. This 6.5 Saum set I ordered from what they had in stock. I'm sure they'll get me fixed up.

I can get a 50 count bag of Rem brass here in Australia for $70, that Nosler stuff is expensive!! I've managed to hoard 200 pieces so far.