• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Labradar LX

Is 6 months supposed to be an impressive time frame? Because it’s not. The original has been out how many years and it still sucks so I’m supposed to believe they made an infinitely better product including app in 6 months time? Doubtful.

The parent company of Labradar is a big boy radar company. The tech and such has likely been available for a long time and they could have almost flipped a switch and had this going. But likely chose to wait until regular labradar sales dropped off or a competitor came to market.

They could have also very likely upgraded the Labradar and chose not to due to sales being fine.

That's not going to be a popular take by consumers, but strictly talking money, they chose to spend as little as neccesary. As on paper, it doesn't matter if your product isn't the greatest if everyone keeps buying them.

Also, if it's been in testing for 6 months, that means in development long before that.

The parent company of Labradar is a big boy radar company. The tech and such has likely been available for a long time and they could have almost flipped a switch and had this going. But likely chose to wait until regular labradar sales dropped off or a competitor came to market.

They could have also very likely upgraded the Labradar and chose not to due to sales being fine.

That's not going to be a popular take by consumers, but strictly talking money, they chose to spend as little as neccesary.

All the more reason not to buy one.

So you get with the Labradar LX
  • unit thickness 2x or 3x the garmin with the same width, with possibly? some battery life improvement (not that the xero has bad battery life at all)
  • metal case increasing weight, but no indication of an IP rating on the brochure which is weird
  • peep sight indicates to me that the beamwidth is atrocious, meaning the unit will be extremely oversensitive to changes in orientation relative to the muzzle without being mounted to the firearm or the firearm being prevented from moving much.
  • buttons on the front instead of the top meaning that applying pressure will move the unit if it's not in a mount or physically fixed in place
  • the screen is in color and isn't a monochrome, transflective LCD meaning that daylight visibility in the sun is going to be trash at anything other than high brightness settings (this is kinda important for anyone that doesn't shoot under a covered bench in good lighting conditions).
  • worse remote connectivity experience (and no information on whether it has remote CSV export or not without having to pull or use a microSD card)
  • same MSRP as a Xero
Yeah I don't see the appeal here unless you literally couldn't find a xero, but the Xero is on the market today, this is not (and who knows when it will be). On top of that, Garmin is a much better consumer electronics company, has a robust service and support division, and maintains their products overtime with feature improvements and updates.

Garmin is more able to meet demand and you can frequently find garmin units on sale at different retailers, when was the last time labradar even ran a sale on their units prior to the panic sale that started in october for full size units?

Last edited:
If they want to get them into the hands of shooters and try to outdo garmin they’ll have to do a trade in on the old ones. Only way to risk it for $600 against proven competition

$600 new
$300 with trade in

Won’t happen but it would get them in peoples hands who would give the feedback

Like Serbu coming out with an identical Glock 19 in 2024

It definitely would have been a game changer had it beat the garmin to market though. Whoever is in charge of producing new products at garmin should expect a nice bonus

Which is separate from MV or as LR usually labels it V0. Looks like per the first photo its also showing V10 which signifies 10y or 10m depending on how its setup. So you’re getting V0 and Vx.
Garmin is only MV.

just move it 10 yards if that trivial information is that important

• Haha
Reactions: Cole440 and Ichi
1705706350513.png

Comparison pic.

Why the peep sight, why would one need to aim their radar. Garmin figured it out. I don't even try to aim mine. Just point it down range. At least with the LR mounted to the rifle, it will always be aimed at the target. Probably be the only way you might be guaranteed to record all of your shots lol.

Why the peep sight, why would one need to aim their radar. Garmin figured it out. I don't even try to aim mine. Just point it down range. At least with the LR mounted to the rifle, it will always be aimed at the target. Probably be the only way you might be guaranteed to record all of your shots lol.
I suspect it's to maintain radar alignment in order to more accurately measure downrange velocity.

Reactions: JerkyFreak
any idea how Garmin gets away without needing to aim it?
Garmin can get away with it because it doesn't track nor provide downrange velocity, nor does it need to (for 99% of people's usage).

Personally, the only time I can see downrange velocity (200yd+) being useful is precision rimfire for software truing, but these small consumer grade doppler radars aren't really up to the task to begin with and I suspect this new Labradar LX will be no different.

I sure hope labgaydar is paying attention to all the animus against them here. They have obviously done something seriously wrong in the PR and CS departments.

They are probably tone deaf and won't notice, but it's a good case study for anybody else of the importance of public relations and customer service.......and fixing simple things that are complete dog shit as one poster mentioned, like the frigging app. It's 2024, after all; my teenager can program an app

as in all businesses the incumbent becomes lazy and doesnt see the need to reinvent itself when the cash is flowing, not until they are surprised. They likely had this on their shelves but due to lack of competitors did nothing to advance it then Garmin happened and they seen their sales tank.

Personally, the only time I can see downrange velocity (200yd+) being useful is precision rimfire for software truing, but these small consumer grade doppler radars aren't really up to the task to begin with and I suspect this new Labradar LX will be no different.
It's also useful for cast bullets that don't have a stated BC from the manufacturer. There's not a whole lot of people shooting cast bullets far enough to care, but for that small niche something like a Labradar is great. It's the only reason I didn't switch to a Garmin.

This looks like they lined up 10 units and made a shot ... 6 out of 10 units didn't pick it up and 3 out of 4 got different readings!

Came to post about that as well. It must have been a suppressed shot too...

Reactions: Cole440
It's also useful for cast bullets that don't have a stated BC from the manufacturer. There's not a whole lot of people shooting cast bullets far enough to care, but for that small niche something like a Labradar is great. It's the only reason I didn't switch to a Garmin.
With an accurate muzzle velocity you can use apps to true your BC.What happens on paper matters. Your drop will tell you your BC.

Reactions: 308pirate
My next chrono will be the Garmin. I had a labradar for a while and it was finicky. Didn't like suppressors, or 22's, or muzzle brakes. Had to be carefully aimed at the target. It absolutely refused to get along with my 460s&w. Every other shot it would scramble its brain. My buddy's 338 edge finally finished it off. The little blue light just flashes really fast now. Screen stays black. It was fun while it lasted.

Guys it’s too late, someone already did it.

So let me get this straight; you make a mediocre (granted, innovative) product and wring your customers out for years, do nothing to address the problems despite the well known issues, continue to charge exorbitant amounts, and offer no further innovation.

Then Garmin comes along and absolutely wipes their ass with the labradar and now you come along and say: “wait hold on we can make that too!”

And then expect people to come running back to buy it after they’ve been penetrated with no lube for years by Labradar? Are we supposed to pretend that they couldn’t have done this earlier if they actually cared?

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 40
This looks like they lined up 10 units and made a shot ... 6 out of 10 units didn't pick it up and 3 out of 4 got different readings!
The ones that picked up the speed were on "bow" mode and the ones that didn't are on rifle mode. Not defending them, just pointing that out.

Reactions: Texascbr
Only way this thing will survive is if it runs with absolute 100% perfection if it misses any shots or has trouble picking up suppressed shots this think will sink faster than a cinder block in a pool with no water.

Any real world youtube videos showing a bunch of hiccups this thing will be finished faster than a virgin on prom night.

I think it has been decided Labradder were dicks to customers...... though did they kick people's dogs too?
Admittedly it is nice to vent!!!🤣

With an accurate muzzle velocity you can use apps to true your BC.What happens on paper matters. Your drop will tell you your BC.
It's easier to start with a decently accurate BC and MV then use the automatic MV correction on a Kestrel to true up the model based on the actual drop you see. You'll have to true it up regardless if what you're shooting. With most bullets the manufacturer lists a reasonably close BC. With cast bullets it's easy to calculate something good enough from V0 and V100.

My customer service experience with labradar told me everything I need to know about that company. Broken port, that they tried to tell me was not broken. They absolutely refused to fix it until I got nasty.

I don't care what product they come out with in the future, or what the capabilities of that product are claimed to be, I will not buy from them. I feel Infinition and everything they touch will be tainted. I contacted that company no less than 10 times over the course of 3 months trying to buy one of their "big boy" radar units. No call backs, sometimes for weeks on end. I was prepared to spend $75k to get what I wanted... and they had no time for me.

I feel that they are clearly making their revenue from somewhere other than civilian sales and don't care about us at all.

They will never see another dime from me.

I've never owned a lab radar. Used one of my buddys at a range and decided it wasn't worth the investment due to how challenging it was.

I bought a garmin the week of release and it's awesome, after lusting over the aspiration that BulletSeeker/Andiscan represented for more than a year. I belived this would lead to where we are and where we are going, garmin was my entry point.

Look, all the nashing of teeth over labradar's too little/too late - I get it for those burned by Labradar - but this is all on schedule and very good news.

If garmin sits back and doesn't improve their product - then we will have options. And not just what there is currently, there will be several more entries to this space.

This is great for us. Garmin is great. The literal best right now. There are many more things future versions in this space could do. So while I love my garmin, I am not a fanboi. Market offers something better, less expensive, then we will all have options. These will be below 300 before long and be more feature rich. Salad Days.

Garmin can get away with it because it doesn't track nor provide downrange velocity, nor does it need to (for 99% of people's usage).

any idea how Garmin gets away without needing to aim it?
You are not getting away with it , as folk from Andyscan have explained there are consequences to misalignment as in slight errors in velocity shown, all of these units will suffer the similar due to misalignment.

You are not getting away with it , as folk from Andyscan have explained there are consequences to misalignment as in slight errors in velocity shown, all of these units will suffer the similar due to misalignment.
your suggesting if I have 5 garmins setup on the bench all slightly angled differently they will all read different MV? id love to see that test.

Reactions: FuhQ and Cole440
your suggesting if I have 5 garmins setup on the bench all slightly angled differently they will all read different MV? id love to see that test.
You can smart ass all you want but a dude that is smarter than both of us and made first rifle mounted radar years before Garmin and Labradar, explained in a post how and why both offset and orientation can influence measurements.

Looking for most consistent measurement you need constant offset and angle , best facilitated by rifle mount.

There is no magic compensation going on by Garmin or Labradar its just inept users inducing errors and thinking the magic box does magic things :eek:

2024-01-20_16h41_36.png

Last edited: