• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors *** NEW *** Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L & S .30 caliber Suppressors

No supersonic cartridge is hearing safe, even with a can.
To know that this is incorrect you only have to have fired a pellet gun with lightweight projectiles that go supersonic. The supersonic shock wave propagates away from the shooter, and even to a bystander catching it that wouldn't be true.

140db peak meter OSHA guidance is meaningless if you plan on shooting twice that day. Pew Science is the only dosimeter for hearing safety that matters.

Okay.

Hopefully you guys don't value your hearing.

Perhaps one or two shots hunting and you'll be okay. But any extended shooting sessions and I think you're playing with fire.

But your ears, your choice. But by the time you realized you made a mistake, it's too late.

Okay.

Hopefully you guys don't value your hearing.

Perhaps one or two shots hunting and you'll be okay. But any extended shooting sessions and I think you're playing with fire.

But your ears, your choice. But by the time you realized you made a mistake, it's too late.
My ears are already fucked... I have tinnitus so bad, I have to sleep with a fan and a TV on to keep them from ringing. The TV is on mute, and they're literally ringing right now as I'm typing. My ears were fucked by the time I was in my early 20's from shooting without plugs. You ever had a Ma Deuce randomly light-off a belt 5 feet from you without plugs on, when you're not aware of what's fixing to happen? That shit will rock you. 😂

The cans do help significantly to reduce triggering my tinnitus...Even without muffs or plugs. And also, if everyone around me is shooting suppressed, as well, even wearing muffs it won't trigger my tinnitus. Whereas, if I'm wearing muffs and others around me are shooting unsuppressed, or AR's with brakes on them, it will trigger my tinnitus BAD! And while cans are getting REALLY popular at my local range (they are a SS dealer with a kiosk), majority of folks still don't shoot suppressed. And I live 3 minutes from there, so if they're really crowded, I'll do what I need to do really quick, and go the fuck home to avoid all the boom, and then try again the next day, or the following weekend.

• Wow
Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
It's possible to cause hearing damage with gunshots that have peak overpressure under 140 dB - we've covered this before. The risk to the inner ear is less about peak amplitude and more about total area under the curve (impulse), as this is what determines the potential to transfer potentially-damaging energy to the ear. It's complex shit and attempts to over-simplify it are not helpful, no matter what ineffective government agency published 50 years ago back when we knew far less about hearing damage mechanisms.

From a practical standpoint, it's indeed possible to suppress a supersonic cartridge to the point where each individual shot provides a dose of potential damage that is under the daily exposure threshold established by the AHAAH. Unfortunately, current industry data is not sufficient to tell a user exactly how many of these events can be experienced while maintaining a reasonably low risk of injury. For a given can on a given system with a given cartridge being dicharged in a given environment, is it 5 shots? 50 shots? 500 shots? It's not possible for a consumer to determine that. And since the individual response varies (especially with regards to pre-existing damage - and most members here will admit to this damage due to a variety of reasons), you can't simply trust me or anyone else to say "yeah, it's safe!" just because we were able to blast a dozen rounds without making the ringing in our ears any worse than before we started the shooting session.

I feel bad for consumers that the objective data is insufficient, but we're not going to fix it by offering subjective evaluations.

My ears are already fucked... I have tinnitus so bad, I have to sleep with a fan and a TV on to keep them from ringing. The TV is on mute, and they're literally ringing right now as I'm typing. My ears were fucked by the time I was in my early 20's from shooting without plugs. You ever had a Ma Deuce randomly light-off a belt 5 feet from you without plugs on, when you're not aware of what's fixing to happen? That shit will rock you. 😂

The cans do help significantly to reduce triggering my tinnitus...Even without muffs or plugs. And also, if everyone around me is shooting suppressed, as well, even wearing muffs it won't trigger my tinnitus. Whereas, if I'm wearing muffs and others around me are shooting unsuppressed, or AR's with brakes on them, it will trigger my tinnitus BAD! And while cans are getting REALLY popular at my local range (they are a SS dealer with a kiosk), majority of folks still don't shoot suppressed. And I live 3 minutes from there, so if they're really crowded, I'll do what I need to do really quick, and go the fuck home to avoid all the boom, and then try again the next day, or the following weekend.

Can't say I've ever experienced that with a Ma Deuce, thankfully!

Tinnitus sounds absolutely awful, I hope to avoid it at all costs. I wear hearing protection, even when shooting suppressed, because I want zero chance of tinnitus and hearing loss. As you know, once you have tinnitus and hearing loss, you have it. And only one event can cause it.

Suppressors make a rifle so much more comfortable to shoot, that I have no desire to shoot any rifle unsuppressed now. I'm full on the suppressor bandwagon.

They really need to make suppressor only ranges.

Can't say I've ever experienced that with a Ma Deuce, thankfully!

Tinnitus sounds absolutely awful, I hope to avoid it at all costs. I wear hearing protection, even when shooting suppressed, because I want zero chance of tinnitus and hearing loss. As you know, once you have tinnitus and hearing loss, you have it. And only one event can cause it.

Suppressors make a rifle so much more comfortable to shoot, that I have no desire to shoot any rifle unsuppressed now. I'm full on the suppressor bandwagon.

They really need to make suppressor only ranges.
I would love that to eventually become a requirement at ranges! If the government would just get with the times and remove them from the NFA registry, then we could be like Europe, and actually require them for hunting and shooting. In many European countries, it is considered a “common courtesy” to your neighbors and others nearby to not create a bunch of noise pollution, when you clearly have easy access to a modern device that can help moderate it by simply screwing it on/off the end of your barrel.

But count on the American government to turn a right into a privilege, and then tax you (illegally) for that right, because they claimed it was not necessary, but instead called it a “privilege” to own, and STILL make you wait a year to get the damn thing…But you can go buy the gun in 5 minutes. One only works with the other, yet, the truly dangerous item takes 5 minutes and a call to NICS to get approved to buy it. How ass-backwards is that? 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

But no government on earth will ever relinquish 2 things once they have taken them from you…Money (extortion taxes) and power (rights). 😡

Just dropped 3 rifles off at the gunsmith this morning... I'm getting them threaded so I can run my suppressors. I'm having my old Gen1 Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 Win chopped to 20" and threaded, my lightweight deer rifle (custom A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag) chopped to 20" and threaded, and my old Marlin .17 HMR rimfire threaded for my Mask HD.

And when I go to pick those up next week, I'll be dropping off my custom built/blueprinted R700 .30-06 AI 40º, to have the barrel replaced with a 416r Broughton Sendero barrel chambered in .280 AI 40º, and have it threaded as well. Always wanted a .280 AI, finally gonna have one. 😏

Reactions: AMGtuned
New hosts for testing… 😏

Stopped by the gunsmith on the way home from work…He had a few things ready for me…

Had him thread my old Marlin 917VS .17 HMR for my Dead Air Mask HD.

AA97FEE2-C286-4680-9DFC-0A607AEB69BD.jpeg

And had him cut my old Gen1 Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 down from 24” to 22”, and thread it, and time a KeyMount Brake (no shims).

5B7B70A6-9F98-4C75-9D30-06538FF2C6F7.jpeg

And had him cut down my old custom lightweight Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM that he built me about 10 years ago. It was a 26” barrel, now it’s 23” and threaded with a timed KeyMo Brake, as well.

It’s my main deer rifle, so I’m curious to see how much velocity I’ll lose after chopping 3” off the barrel. I hope I can make up the difference with a slightly faster power. 👍🏼

823C79D8-2959-4B00-8742-4A48D8820A1C.jpeg

New video is up testing the brand new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L & S suppressors on my 14.5" 5.56 M4.

Thanks for the report on the OC suppressors. You have influenced my purchasing decisions.

I also like the idea of supporting the little guy and from what I have seen on some TBAC comparison threads, OC is hanging right in there with the big boys.

I found a good price (closeout?) on a PR65L and will use it on a Grendel.

Now I just need to resist what everyone says, errr, knows is coming...

Reactions: AMGtuned and FuhQ
Thanks for the report on the OC suppressors. You have influenced my purchasing decisions.

I also like the idea of supporting the little guy and from what I have seen on some TBAC comparison threads, OC is hanging right in there with the big boys.

I found a good price (closeout?) on a PR65L and will use it on a Grendel.

Now I just need to resist what everyone says, errr, knows is coming...
Thanks for watching! It seems virtually nobody is interested in these cans on here... This thread is like a ghost town.

Oh, you're referring to the landslide of future NFA and suppressor purchases? Yeah, that's inevitable. I don't think anyone ever just purchases 1 suppressor and says, "Yeah, I'm good, I don't need anymore..." You'll start subconsciously buying more guns that already threaded so you can suppress them. And then buying more suppressors, and trying to acquire 1 can per host. 😂

I do recommend going ahead and getting you a Dead Air Mask HD at the same time, and getting your rimfire needs and your rifle needs covered in the first go-round. On a serious note, that is something I do highly recommend doing. 👍🏼 You remember how you felt the first time a girl let you round 3rd base, and slide into home? Yeah... That's how it feels the first time you shoot a suppressed bolt-action .22LR with subsonic ammo. You will be hooked from then-on. 😏

What kind of a closeout deal you find on the PR65? Do they have any PR65S cans, or just the L model? Might be worth looking into for a dedicated can for my Grendel. You can shoot me a PM if you'd prefer. Or I might just order another Hydrogen-S, but in 6.5mm bore just for the Grendel. 🤔

Thanks for watching! It seems virtually nobody is interested in these cans on here... This thread is like a ghost town.

Oh, you're referring to the landslide of future NFA and suppressor purchases? Yeah, that's inevitable. I don't think anyone ever just purchases 1 suppressor and says, "Yeah, I'm good, I don't need anymore..." You'll start subconsciously buying more guns that already threaded so you can suppress them. And then buying more suppressors, and trying to acquire 1 can per host. 😂

I do recommend going ahead and getting you a Dead Air Mask HD at the same time, and getting your rimfire needs and your rifle needs covered in the first go-round. On a serious note, that is something I do highly recommend doing. 👍🏼 You remember how you felt the first time a girl let you round 3rd base, and slide into home? Yeah... That's how it feels the first time you shoot a suppressed bolt-action .22LR with subsonic ammo. You will be hooked from then-on. 😏

What kind of a closeout deal you find on the PR65? Do they have any PR65S cans, or just the L model? Might be worth looking into for a dedicated can for my Grendel. You can shoot me a PM if you'd prefer. Or I might just order another Hydrogen-S, but in 6.5mm bore just for the Grendel. 🤔
I have enjoyed reading and following this. The Otter Creek cans do interest me; as do other F4 cans. I, personally, prefer the F1 route; and catering my builds to their host.

Following Quell......umm....Andrew.....ah ha! Otter Creek, has been an interesting journey. I dont do Instagram or FB, and I know a lot has/had been shared throughout. But Andrew was a good member of the F1 crowd, once upon a time, and always had some great ideas. Its good to see his work paying off, and doing damn well at it.

He listened to the right crowd 😉🤫🤣

Reactions: FuhQ
I have enjoyed reading and following this. The Otter Creek cans do interest me; as do other F4 cans. I, personally, prefer the F1 route; and catering my builds to their host.

Following Quell......umm....Andrew.....ah ha! Otter Creek, has been an interesting journey. I dont do Instagram or FB, and I know a lot has/had been shared throughout. But Andrew was a good member of the F1 crowd, once upon a time, and always had some great ideas. Its good to see his work paying off, and doing damn well at it.

I don't know anything about the F1 crowd or anything of his endeavors previous to Otter Creek Labs, but I do know i'm impressed with his products. The Hydrogen-L is hanging right there with my Nomad-LT, and the Nomad-LT was the quietest suppressor I had heard personally, do date when I first got it. They say the new TBAC Magnus is quieter, but I won't have the funds for that for a LONG time, but I'll find out someday.

I never got into the F1 cans, but right when I was going to, is when the ATF started their mass-denial bullshit, and I decided to just keep getting F4 cans for now, until someone reigns those clowns back in...Which isn't looking like it anytime soon given Brandon's new nominee which is basically David Chipman 2.0. 🙄

It was Charlies Custom Clones for 749. When I went back today, out of stock, so I think I nabbed the last one.

It was Charlies Custom Clones for 749. When I went back today, out of stock, so I think I nabbed the last one.
Gotcha... Yeah, that's a good price. You'll enjoy it. 👍🏼 I haven't shot a PR series, but If it's anything like my Hydro's, then you'll be really happy with the purchase. 👍🏼

Well buddy you know all about his antics in the form 1 world, many of which are still not viewed favorably by many still to this day. He was definitely a character on the old form 1 forum.

Toughen up
There he is!

I hoped you had seen this thread. Always cool to see end users evaluating stuff and talking about it.

Nicely done. These and the OCM5 seem to be really well accepted by the people. Glad it is working out for you 👍

I'm still curious to hear about all these "antics". I mean, I know how to piss people off on the internet, been doing a good job of that for almost 2 decades, but I'm curious to know how you can get into antics on a Form 1 forum... 😂

Gotcha... Yeah, that's a good price. You'll enjoy it. 👍🏼 I haven't shot a PR series, but If it's anything like my Hydro's, then you'll be really happy with the purchase. 👍🏼
What bore size are the keymo mounts you use for your Grendels?

I am looking at the Rearden DPBs. They offer both .375 and .280 for 5/8 x 24, but I figure using .280 on a .264 bullet is playing with fire.

The .375 sounds big but maybe that is a big nothingburger?

I am looking at the Rearden DPBs. They offer both .375 and .280 for 5/8 x 24, but I figure using .280 on a .264 bullet is playing with fire.

I don't think the aperture size on the muzzle brake is going to make a noticeable difference.

To my knowledge, unless it's a special model, I believe all the Dead Air KeyMount brakes are the same size aperture (.30 caliber)...Even the 1/2x28 models are the same .30 caliber aperture. Like was mentioned, I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any noticeable difference in sound or function, so that's why they run them all the same size.

To my knowledge, unless it's a special model, I believe all the Dead Air KeyMount brakes are the same size aperture (.30 caliber)...Even the 1/2x28 models are the same .30 caliber aperture. Like was mentioned, I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any noticeable difference in sound or function, so that's why they run them all the same size.
I believe, that more than anything, the brake aids in baffle preservation. Flash hider, not so much.

That being said; we all know what a brake does, or at least we should. Now if you had ONLY a brake, and put a tube around it, with an endcap; do we not think that it would muffle the blast a little? Albeit, not much, I'll admit. But I'd wager it would.

My point is that it has to do something. 1 or 2 db maybe? I'm not currently recalling any study of the same can, back to back, with and without. There would be more volume, because the BC would be empty with direct thread; but with supersonic rounds, FRP is not what you're fighting.

Brakes are neat. Rant over. 👍

I believe, that more than anything, the brake aids in baffle preservation. Flash hider, not so much.

That being said; we all know what a brake does, or at least we should. Now if you had ONLY a brake, and put a tube around it, with an endcap; do we not think that it would muffle the blast a little? Albeit, not much, I'll admit. But I'd wager it would.

My point is that it has to do something. 1 or 2 db maybe? I'm not currently recalling any study of the same can, back to back, with and without. There would be more volume, because the BC would be empty with direct thread; but with supersonic rounds, FRP is not what you're fighting.

Brakes are neat. Rant over. 👍
I think you misread my reply... Nobody said a brake made no difference. I said the difference between the the .224 and .308 diameter linear apertures of the muzzle brakes inside of a suppressor makes no difference in diameter size...Not that the muzzle brake makes no difference.

And yes, I'm well aware of everything you stated.

There would be more volume, because the BC would be empty with direct thread; but with supersonic rounds, FRP is not what you're fighting.

Beware the inaccurate generalization:

Surefire_762RC2_MK18_556_Mic1_Impulse_wm.png

It's a bit of a corner case, but nicely demonstrates that FRP can certainly be a problem even with supersonic cartridges.

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited:
I have noticed that with just about every centerfire suppressor, the first round is just slightly louder than the following shots (the hot gasses burning up all the cool ambient air inside the can), when you're watching sound metering tests. It's not always a huge amount, but some are louder than others. My Nomad-LT and the Otter Creek Labs Hydro cans do not really have any noticeable FRP. By ear, you might barely notice them being just slightly louder on the very first shot, but maybe only a 1 or 2 DB.

My Sandman-S cans do have a noticeably louder FRP than the other shots (probably because they have fewer baffles in them than the other cans I have). The only suppressor I have that truly doesn't seem to have any FRP at all, is my Dead Air Mask HD rimfire can. It seems to be level from first shot, to last. But I always shoot the same subsonic ammo in all my guns through it. Don't know if that makes any difference? 🤷🏼

And I've noticed that with supersonic ammo, you don't really notice FRP as much as you do with subsonics. Subs really seem to allow you to notice FRP much easier without that sonic crack. At least, for me...Maybe my ears are different?

Last edited:
I did make a generalized statement there. Yes, FRP is always there with supers, and is often a smidgen louder than subsequent shots. Definitely more noticeable in subsonic cartridges.

Well, got some test loads made for load development and velocity testing for the newly cut-down 7mmRM for hunting with IMR 7977 and Berger 168 VLD's. Should be some nice shooters. Hoping to get close to 3K FPS MV despite chopping 3.5" off the barrel when he threaded it.

I plan on getting some footage of the OCL Hydro cans on it, as well. Same for the newly-threaded .308 Win. 👍🏼

Went to the range today... Did some load development with the 7mmRM, and found a good node to explore with 7977. Forgot my chrono, but now that I have a node to work with, I'll most-likely take it with me next trip with fine-tuning that node. 👍🏼

Also, the Hydrogen-L sounds amazing on there. I'm pretty sure it will end up being my hunting rifle can. I will probably end up removing the KeyMo brake from the rifle, and running it direct-thread, once I get the stamp back for it. Video will be coming soon...Probably towards the end of the week. Since I was working on load-development, I didn't want to swap cans around on it today, so I will get videos of the different cans on it in the future. 👍🏼

FFP is not AWALYS there.
Ray, what's your thoughts on something I heard the other day... Have you done much testing with the KeyMo mount setup? I was told by someone that KeyMo added a few DB on the meter compared to direct-thread... I don't know if that really makes sense since the KeyMo seals with the taper in the back, but it was just something I heard, was curious if you had noticed that at all in your testing? I would be interested in seeing a video testing this theory, if that's something yall would be interested in giving a go? 🤷🏼

Also, I hope to get a Magnus HUB on order someday soon. Would love to hear one in person and test it next to my OCL Hydro-L and Nomad-LT. It would be kinda cool to have the 3 quietest suppressors on the market in my lineup. 😎 Always wanted a TBAC can, because yall are legendary in the industry, just haven't had the chance to get one in HUB until recently, since I ended up getting heavily invested in KeyMo because of my Sandman-S cans, so I could swap them around easily and test them on different guns.

Anybody shot the 6.5 K yet?

Looks like the hydrogen 6.5 k or the 6.5 ultra 5 will be my next can dedicated to 223 and 22GT 16" hunting bolt guns.

I prefer k cans for shooting my handful of deer each year and have plenty of loud long cans and a 6.5 ultra 7. The hydrogen is probably slightly quieter due to its diameter, but it's gotta be close.

Anybody shot the 6.5 K yet?

Looks like the hydrogen 6.5 k or the 6.5 ultra 5 will be my next can dedicated to 223 and 22GT 16" hunting bolt guns.

I prefer k cans for shooting my handful of deer each year and have plenty of loud long cans and a 6.5 ultra 7. The hydrogen is probably slightly quieter due to its diameter, but it's gotta be close.
Why not just get a Polonium if you’re planning on a dedicated .22 caliber centerfire can? It has a 6mm bore, and can be used on any 6mm/.243 caliber rifle, as well.

Reactions: CaptArab
Why not just get a Polonium if you’re planning on a dedicated .22 caliber centerfire can? It has a 6mm bore, and can be used on any 6mm/.243 caliber rifle, as well.
Eww 13oz and over 5 inches.
It's like a pricier heavier turbo k (which I also own).

For a hunting gun, 5" of ti is where it's at.

Eww 13oz and over 5 inches.
It's like a pricier heavier turbo k (which I also own).

For a hunting gun, 5" of ti is where it's at.
Same could be said about running a 5" K-can on a centerfire rifle... Why not just shoot unsuppressed with a muzzle brake? You only shave about 15-20 DB off of the unsuppressed volume...It's almost like you don't even have a can on there. 😂

But I do understand the desire for compactness. I think the Hydrogen-S 6.5 would be something good to look into with their ZRO-DTA direct-thread mount. It adds virtually zero length to the 7" can, and still gives you 9 baffles to knock-down all that gas. The Hydro-S is all titanium and weighs only 9.5 oz. Just throwing that out there as something to look into. 🤷🏼

I can't help you with any K-can info, other than hearing folks shooting with them at the range, and still having to wear ear pro and it sounding almost just as loud as if they weren't running a suppressor... But... Maybe @AndrewKing can weigh-in for you, and help you out with some DB numbers or info on the Hydro-K 6.5?

Reactions: CaptArab
Same could be said about running a 5" K-can on a centerfire rifle... Why not just shoot unsuppressed with a muzzle brake? You only shave about 15-20 DB off of the unsuppressed volume...It's almost like you don't even have a can on there. 😂

But I do understand the desire for compactness. I think the Hydrogen-S 6.5 would be something good to look into with their ZRO-DTA direct-thread mount. It adds virtually zero length to the 7" can, and still gives you 9 baffles to knock-down all that gas. The Hydro-S is all titanium and weighs only 9.5 oz. Just throwing that out there as something to look into. 🤷🏼

I can't help you with any K-can info, other than hearing folks shooting with them at the range, and still having to wear ear pro and it sounding almost just as loud as if they weren't running a suppressor... But... Maybe @AndrewKing can weigh-in for you, and help you out with some DB numbers or info on the Hydro-K 6.5?
I actually really like my direct thread turbo k on a 16" Tikka 223 deer gun.

But that can's been relegated to bedside duty on a 10.5, and yes that rig is LOUD 😎

a good tight bore k can (i.e. not a sandman, etc) is totally adequate suppression for popping Bambi's IME It's also comfy at the range with light ear pro which I'm always gonna wear for more than 1-2 shots anyhow.

I actually really like my direct thread turbo k on a 16" Tikka 223 deer gun.

But that can's been relegated to bedside duty on a 10.5, and yes that rig is LOUD 😎

a good tight bore k can (i.e. not a sandman, etc) is totally adequate suppression for popping Bambi's IME It's also comfy at the range with light ear pro which I'm always gonna wear for more than 1-2 shots anyhow.
To each, his own... I shoot for quietest cans possible, unless it's something specific like my 2 Sandman-S cans...They're for short barrels and mag dumps.

Because for a limited number of shots while hunting, "only 15-20 db" is the difference between permanent hearing damage or not. You're being dismissive of literally a 100-fold difference in energy delivered to the inner ear.

No one hear is suggested using a K-can for long strings of fire from a bench with unprotected ears. Go ahead and run a system that's as long as you're tall.

Because for a limited number of shots while hunting, "only 15-20 db" is the difference between permanent hearing damage or not. You're being dismissive of literally a 100-fold difference in energy delivered to the inner ear.

No one hear is suggested using a K-can for long strings of fire from a bench with unprotected ears. Go ahead and run a system that's as long as you're tall.
How is this possible when you're the one who keeps preaching that permanent damage can occur below 140 DB with just a single shot? If the average gun shot is 165-180 DB, t hen it's definitely not hearing safe with a K-can.

Now you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're saying it's safe for not causing damage (because it goes against what I say), but it's not safe (based on things you've said many times in the past about shooting ANY gun suppressed without ear pro)... How is that?

Not too many folks wear ear pro while hunting...

How is this possible when you're the one who keeps preaching that permanent damage can occur below 140 DB with just a single shot? If the average gun shot is 165-180 DB, t hen it's definitely not hearing safe with a K-can.

Now you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're saying it's safe for not causing damage (because it goes against what I say), but it's not safe (based on things you've said many times in the past about shooting ANY gun suppressed without ear pro)... How is that?

Not too many folks wear ear pro while hunting...

Yep, I've said exactly what you're claiming. The opposite of that statement is also something I might claim - it's possible (albeit far less likely) to expose the ear to an impulse greater than 140 dB peak pressure without severe injury. That's because what I'm claiming is that peak pressure isn't what matters - peak energy does - and that's the first point you're missing.

The second point you're missing is that the total dose matters. 1-2 rounds through a "K" suppressor while hunting might be OK depending upon the standard dose limit we've established, whereas a hundred rounds through a much more effective suppressor might be damaging. (As a side note, the latter case might be relevant for someone who is varmint or hog hunting, so it shouldn't be dismissed outright.)

The third point you're missing is that *any* suppression is better than *no* suppression - particularly if we get into real world situations (like hunting blinds or even dense woods) where there may be a nearby reflective surface.

If either I or a hunting partner decides to light off a 300 Thunderfucker from a 20" barrel, I'd much rather have that gun wearing even a Sandman-K than an APA Fat Bastard, because it's going to do about 100x less damage to my ears.

I'm not trying to turn grey into black-and-white, and I think that's ultimately what will cause you and I to remain in constant disagreement. I'm very OK with that outcome.

New video is up with the brand new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L on my custom A-Bolt II 7mmRM. This is going to be one awesome lightweight (and QUIET!) deer hunting rig. I hope my stamp comes back before deer season. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Just got my first eForm signed, certified, and submitted today. Decided to go with the Hydrogen-S first since it's my favorite for the .300 BLK.

I'll probably do the Hydrogen-L in the next couple weeks. Then whenever the Poloniumm arrives, I'll do it, as well. That way the ball will be rolling on everything waiting on stamp approvals.

Dedicated 5.56 can... I'm just gonna leave this RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT here... Fresh off the presses, just dropped this morning...

SSS6.75_review_table_1_FREE.png
Otter+Creek+Labs+Polonium+5.56+Supersonic+MK18+PEW+Science+Suppression+Rating_wm.png
5.56_MK18_suppression_plot_6.75_wm.png

Note that the shooter's ear numbers are essential to evaluating the performance of a can on a semi-auto- the muzzle numbers aren't even half the story. In this case, it behaves exactly like what would be expected for a high-backpressure can on an untuned platform (the SPL data isn't free to non-members, but the chart clearly shows the relative performance of muzzle vs SE)

It'd probably kick ass on a 6mm bolt gun.

Reactions: kthomas
Note that the shooter's ear numbers are essential to evaluating the performance of a can on a semi-auto- the muzzle numbers aren't even half the story. In this case, it behaves exactly like what would be expected for a high-backpressure can on an untuned platform (the SPL data isn't free to non-members, but the chart clearly shows the relative performance of muzzle vs SE)

It'd probably kick ass on a 6mm bolt gun.
A .22-250, as well.

Finally got my load development completed on the newly cut-down 22.5" custom Browning A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag a couple weekends ago, just forgot to post up in here.

Being a magnum, I only shoot 3-shot groups through it due to excess heat, and it has a sporter barrel, so with 5-shot groups, it always produces 4th and 5th shot fliers when it get really hot (you'll see below). Plus, it's a hunting rifle, and I will never shoot more than 3 shots in a row with it, while hunting. My average MV was 2,931 FPS average, my ES was only 3 FPS, and and my SD was 1 FPS. I'm pretty happy with the results. It also shoots 3-shot groups below 0.350" @ 100.

Hydrogen-L w/ Dead Air KeyMo mount

942E5673-0C28-4C66-B622-6DE1B3AEB567.jpeg

Hydrogen-L w/ Otter Creek ZR0-DTA direct-thread mount

6E0F4C90-5AD9-4B37-954C-5A7A15AB2993.jpeg

3-shot group without 4th & 5th shot fliers

7520D995-F4EA-4B79-BECA-A5B43605AD88.jpeg

5-shot group with 4th and 5th shot fliers

83D1DD5C-B83A-463D-82FA-94C5B4394513.jpeg

MSv2 data with suppressor installed to get real-world data how it will be setup for hunting.

7E91C19F-9195-4892-B0C9-7FD2C762E9C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCarter17
New video is up comparing the Dead Air Nomad-LT with the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L on my 16" .300 BLK with my 220 subsonic handloads...

@tthomp302 Any updates? Did you get your Hydrogen-L into your dealer yet? Do they have a range where you can test them?
Just paid for it yesterday. He let me know as soon as they were finished. I'm having it sent to a local gun shop/range so I can get conjugal visits with it while I wait! Super excited to see how it is.