• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New press announcement from Area 419

New mount!

Attachments

• 312D6651-4A85-40BF-8A7C-B52AF4AC4372.jpeg
    312D6651-4A85-40BF-8A7C-B52AF4AC4372.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 136
New mount!

Does someone have the hole specs for the Big Dog Zero mount? I have the Inline mount on my bench and use the QD (had a redding and a co-ax as i run both 7/8 and 1 1/4 dies) and that Big Dog Zero mount is all i likely need moving forward but wanted to see if could reuse my holes in my reloading table.

Last edited:
You can tell Craig loves his job and their products!
I really do. It's a hell of a blessing to be able to wake up in the morning and love what we do and know that when we ship product, that box with our tape or label with our logo will make a guy smile even before he cuts open the box.

A Wilson seater or a Zero press? ;)

The press. I saw it in there a couple of weeks ago. Looked very nice, but they had a big ass zip tie on it so you couldn't move the ram and really get to kicking the tires.

Does someone have the hole specs for the Big Dog Zero mount? I have the Inline mount on my bench and use the QD (had a redding and a co-ax as i run both 7/8 and 1 1/4 dies) and that Big Dog Zero mount is all i likely need moving forward but wanted to see if could reuse my holes in my reloading table.

They are not the same hole specs. In my picture, the ZERO Is on a Inline Mount. I have it now mounted on the Big Dog Mount and had to drill new holes.

Who else is patiently waiting, impatiently for a delivery confirmation & tracking # for their Zero, 2nd run order? I know this guy 🤚🏻totally is.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Anybody have any news on when this batch is going to ship? Craig sent a email before thanksgiving and said the week of the 7th?

I went ahead and ordered an extra turret a stand and a mounting plate a while back. Order is processing according to their site. Im on a list somewhere for the next batch of presses i hope. This is the classic cart before the horse scenario. Hope to get the press early next year.

Fellas - just sent this email to all open ZERO orders. Wanted it here as well.

-----

All,

Good news! We are actively assembling presses, and many of you will receive shipping notifications soon. We have a bulk pickup scheduled for Saturday where we anticipate most or all of these presses to enter directly into the UPS stream. With the last shipment this was very efficient as it cut a day of shipping time and went directly into the UPS large package system.

You'll receive a tracking number as soon as tomorrow, but understand it will not become active until as late as Monday, even though they are in stream. It's the nature of these large volume pickups, and we promise it's the best way to get packages of this scale to you quickly and safely.

PRODUCT CHANGE - There is one small change to the ZERO. On the first batch we nitrided the pull-stud that connects the turret to the press. In this batch, we have removed that process. As we think A2 tool steel is the best material for this part (it allows for VERY high hardness levels to be achieved in the core of the part) and we are holding a very tight clearance/tolerance around that pull stud, the inconsistent material reaction/growth during Nitride we found possible from lot to lot of steel was unacceptable. Nitride was largely being used here as a matter of coloring, so we have no fear of any long-term performance loss. The center of your pullstud will now match the matte finish of your press. This is a change that will not negatively impact the performance of your unit, and will really only increase our ability to make the parts super consistent over time. We want every turret we ever make to be exactly the same, and this is a move in that direction. That said, if this is an unacceptable change to you and you would like to cancel the order, we are happy to accomodate.

I thank you again for your patience, and am looking forward to these being on your benches. It may be hard to believe, but we want these on your benches just as bad as you do.

Thank you again, and let us know if you have any questions!

Craig

Fellas - just sent this email to all open ZERO orders. Wanted it here as well.

-----

All,

Good news! We are actively assembling presses, and many of you will receive shipping notifications soon. We have a bulk pickup scheduled for Saturday where we anticipate most or all of these presses to enter directly into the UPS stream. With the last shipment this was very efficient as it cut a day of shipping time and went directly into the UPS large package system.

You'll receive a tracking number as soon as tomorrow, but understand it will not become active until as late as Monday, even though they are in stream. It's the nature of these large volume pickups, and we promise it's the best way to get packages of this scale to you quickly and safely.

PRODUCT CHANGE - There is one small change to the ZERO. On the first batch we nitrided the pull-stud that connects the turret to the press. In this batch, we have removed that process. As we think A2 tool steel is the best material for this part (it allows for VERY high hardness levels to be achieved in the core of the part) and we are holding a very tight clearance/tolerance around that pull stud, the inconsistent material reaction/growth during Nitride we found possible from lot to lot of steel was unacceptable. Nitride was largely being used here as a matter of coloring, so we have no fear of any long-term performance loss. The center of your pullstud will now match the matte finish of your press. This is a change that will not negatively impact the performance of your unit, and will really only increase our ability to make the parts super consistent over time. We want every turret we ever make to be exactly the same, and this is a move in that direction. That said, if this is an unacceptable change to you and you would like to cancel the order, we are happy to accomodate.

I thank you again for your patience, and am looking forward to these being on your benches. It may be hard to believe, but we want these on your benches just as bad as you do.

Thank you again, and let us know if you have any questions!

Craig
Got the same e-mail, now if my new barrel was here I could do some load development. :unsure:

What's the effect on the turrets on the current presses. Or, is this something that would be seen immediately after nitriding?

Don't really want to speak for them, but it's only after nitride. Could increase the size of the pull stud to where the tolerance is to tight to fit just right. I have removed my turret once, it's a finicky ordeal, that if you don't lift exactly straight up, and set it straight down, it will bind. It's that tight of a tolerance.

What's the effect on the turrets on the current presses. Or, is this something that would be seen immediately after nitriding?
What we found out is it's got a lot to do with the actual lot of A2. All studs grow a lot when we heat treat, which is why we machine to an oversize, then heat treat, and finally turn to the exact size we want. Tough process turning something at a 65-68 Rockwell, but it's the right thing to do. What has proven finicky is how much or how consistently they grow during nitride, based on the lot of steel. The lot of steel (all American A2 bar stock, all from the same supplier/mill) on the first batch grew very little during nitride, less than .0005" at the critical point. This last batch, when we sent samples, wanted to grow as much as .0013". Given the tight fit we want for the pullstuds, this took them from a nice tight fit to oversized.

This has no ill-effect on presses or turrets already in market, but we became real aware than it could be an issue long-term, as we want the first press we shipped in the fall to be able to come back and buy a turret in year 2030 and it be an in-spec fit on that press. This simply wasn't going to work with what you heard above, so we made a little change. It's not better or worse for performance, but it's better for long-term consistency.

Nope, because we haven't shipped any. They will leave with the batch of presses we are assembling now. Hopefully next week, but with the way Black Friday went (it was a really big few days) and the PRS Finale eating up a lot of man hours, it may be the week after.

Craig,

Are the turrets ordered with the second batch of presses going to ship with the press?

Craig,

Are the turrets ordered with the second batch of presses going to ship with the press?
All ZEROs, parts, and accessories are shipping as fast as we can get them in boxes and labeled!

That said, educational bit, apart from dust covers on the first round, no press has or will ever ship "with" another item. We package the presses in custom boxes, and in on-size cartons. Additional items will come shipped separately. This is a function of protecting the press, and not having any larger/heavier boxes than necessary, as packages over 40lb are not the best for UPS or our internal team.

Last edited:
It sounds like everyone who order in round 2 did not get tracking info. I guessing they did not ship all of the presses.
I'm hoping fro an update from Craig @flyer1a .

All ZEROs, parts, and accessories are shipping as fast as we can get them in boxes and labeled!

That said, educational bit, apart from dust covers on the first round, no press has or will ever ship "with" another item. We package the presses in custom boxes, and in on-size cartons. Additional items will come shipped separately. This is a function of protecting the press, and not having any larger/heavier boxes than necessary, as packages over 40lb are not the best for UPS or our internal team.

I think I should have been more clear, are the extra turrets shipping or is there still a delay?

Feel like a little kid before Christmas. Tracking # has been received and it’s currently saying this Wednesday!! If it can arrive by Thursday, I’ll be very pleased. Hoping to be able to get it setup over the Christmas weekend and begin my journey into reloading.

Lots of presses have shipped, more are shipping today, more tomorrow. We have tried to be geographically strategic to get as many to doorsteps by Christmas as possible. We never, ever wanted any of these to arrive after Christmas, but unfortunately it looks like some may miss. We hate it more than we can express.

Some turrets have shipped. More ship today, more tomorrow. This has been the case for a week or so as we push through QC/assembly/pack/ship. Unfortunately this isn't any version of instantaneous, and every little bogus delay with a vendor or outside process costs days and days. As we have been slow shipping we have held off on re-opening the pre-order. Hopefully by tomorrow we will have all customer orders shipped and orders for the March batch (it might be April, really really difficult to predict some of these things) opened up.

Tracking says mine’s 30 minutes away, but estimated delivery is 5 days from now. Hoping all the extras I ordered are with it.

The Inline Fab Ultra mount I already have is too tall and the bench mount is too short. Sadly Inline is a few days out for their 4" mount.

Attachments

• 20201224_174336.jpg
    20201224_174336.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 45
I just have it (not very well) clamped on the bench for now. Deciding what mount to go with. Likely the big dog.

My idea for blanking off a spot and using it for an inverted arbor press crashed and burned. We blanked on off with a threaded rod. It took took much more effort than an actual arbor press. Oh well. This is why I’m not an engineer.

Just came in and got it mounted. Sized a couple 6 dasher to test it out and then gonna try some 300 Sherman mags. I was skeptical when ordering it but I’m getting convinced.

Attachments

• D2D02D8E-22E3-420F-985E-962E482B48D7.jpeg
    D2D02D8E-22E3-420F-985E-962E482B48D7.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 168
So I was able to size a couple hundred pieces of dasher brass which left some impressions.

I currently have a co-ax, Redding T-7 and a rockchucker to compare to. Using redding shell holders and whidden custom dies. Using mitutoyo calipers and dial indicator for measurements below.

Some initial takeaway. The ram is huge. The shell holder on a T-7 looks like it’s a same size as the ram. On the zero the shell holder gets swallowed up in there new shell holder system. The bottom of the downstroke feels like a rubber band that starts to snap back and helps kickstart the upstroke. Area 419 goes into this in depth so thats all I’ll say on that.

The big dog steel mount is awesome and I love the turret holders on the back. If you get a zero spend the extra money and get the big dog mount. Super solid and was very easy to install on my bench.

Sized the first 30 pieces and 29 had identical headspace measurements. The last one was .0005 off. Continued to check every 5 rounds and headspace stayed the same for the rest of the 645 pieces of brass in the lot. Runout was awesome. The dies help but the largest amount of runout I measured was .001. I had some that got to .00025 but the rest hovered in the .0005. The normal runout on my co-ax is .001-.002 which isn’t a huge difference but it was slightly better using the same dies and brass. Is it noticeable on paper? I don’t think it matters for prs but that was what I saw.

Overall i like it and will keep using it. I do wish the had designed it to fit an inline case eject system instead of an add on like the rockchucker.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlue&Goldie
I’ve sized 300 6GT and Very happy to have all of my AREA419 reloading and shooting gear!!!

Also, what shell holder/s is everyone using? Been using a co-ax, so I just tossed whatever random holder I had in the bin. I’m bottomed out before I can get shoulders for move. Not a big deal taking some off the holder.

Just curious what holders people having good luck with.

Also, what shell holder/s is everyone using? Been using a co-ax, so I just tossed whatever random holder I had in the bin. I’m bottomed out before I can get shoulders for move. Not a big deal taking some off the holder.

Redding work awesome. You need to have the die about .100 of an inch higher than the shell holder compared to about .010 on a redding T-7.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

I'm just going to use generic RCBS shell holders until 419 releases the ones they're working on. I was using them with my CoAx already.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Mounted on an Ultra mount. It's 6" too tall but the other mount won't be here until next week.

Attachments

• 20201226_122109.jpg
    20201226_122109.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 143
Mounted on an Ultra mount. It's 6" too tall but the other mount won't be here until next week.
I mean, do you even reload? I don't see any type of messiness going on. 😜😜😜

Jk looks great, I like my bench clean and simple.

I decided on cancelling my Zero Press order. Congrats on who took my spot. I realized that I have other priorities with the next year of shooting, and other Area419 goodies on the way soon.

I mean, do you even reload? I don't see any type of messiness going on. 😜😜😜

Jk looks great, I like my bench clean and simple.

I decided on cancelling my Zero Press order. Congrats on who took my spot. I realized that I have other priorities with the next year of shooting, and other Area419 goodies on the way soon.

I have everything cleared off the bench because I'm reorganizing. I'm planning to consolidate all of the dies on the wall into the tool heads of the Zero press but I'm waiting on the second tool head. I have other presses and a Inline Fab quick change mount on my other bench. The Zero is replacing a CoAx.

Attachments

• 20201226_203410.jpg
    20201226_203410.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 100
I just have it (not very well) clamped on the bench for now. Deciding what mount to go with. Likely the big dog.

My idea for blanking off a spot and using it for an inverted arbor press crashed and burned. We blanked on off with a threaded rod. It took took much more effort than an actual arbor press. Oh well. This is why I’m not an engineer.

The part to blank off a die spot is being made, just a matter of production timelines and getting things back in stock. Lots of capacity being added right now, but it wont turn into a flow of new parts for a solid 2 months.