• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New project

Lineman711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
TN
I've got an older Winchester M70 Lightweight, chambered in .223 that my grandfather gave me a long time ago. My favorite and most used rifle for many years. I have no idea how many rounds I've shot through this gun, but I'd guess around 5,000 or so. Have no idea how much he shot it, but I'd guess probably less than a couple hundred times.

Thinking about using it as a project gun, looking for input. Right now, I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a 22" Krieger barrel, ~#6 contour, 1-8" twist. Always wanted an A5, so probably go that way for the stock.

Need to pick a few 'smiths and give them a call and work out some details. This will mostly be for target shooting out to 400 yards or so, maybe for some groundhogs, prairie dogs if I ever get to go.

Wait time doesn't matter to me right now, but would any of you have a ball park estimate of how much cash I'd be looking at, excluding barrel and stock cost to have this put together, trued up and all that?

Just trying to get some ideas together, I've never had a rifle built and honestly, I don't know all that much about all that goes into it.

Any suggestions, ideas, or experiences any of you may have, I'd like to hear them.

Re: New project

If it still shoots okay, keep it as is, it's got good memories.

Spend $350 and find a 223 donor action and go from there, that's my 2 cents.

Action/bottom metal/trigger $400 ish
Barrel $300
Stock $600 or so
Chamber/thread/true $350
Coat, bed, etc - $350 or so

That's rough numbers, I'm sure I'm off some.

yeah keep the rifle the way it was given to you from your grandfather. You will be able to find the 223 donor action for bout 420-500, if my memory serves me right there is one for sale in the for sale forum. Everything else sounds good about your build, but dont put the hand me down on the chopping block

I took that into consideration, meant to add to the original post that the accuracy just doesn't seem to be there anymore. It never was a tack driver, but could hold MOA most of the time. It wasn't one of those special gifts from him like my 30-30 or a couple shotguns, so rebuilding it wouldn't take away any sentimental value of that kind.

I guess I could just find a donor action, but the whole reason I want to rebuild this one is because it just sits in the safe now and never sees any use, that's something I'm not a fan of.

Thanks for the prices, just looking to see if I can afford this right now.

GAP's website has a price list for all the services mentioned and all they offer..... You can get er done cheaper, but not much better! Best of luck with it!