• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Schmidt & Bender PM2 6-36x56

If you have a chance, it’s be cool to zoom each scope to the same mrad mark.

As in, zoom them both until it’s, say, 10 mrads left (center to the left edge) and 10 mrads to the right edge. Or whatever number you want.

That way we could really see the difference of FOV at pretty much the exact same zoom level. Doesn’t work when all you have is black lines to work with, so it’ll have to be zoomed in a bit.

Gotta point it at exactly the same spot, of course. The shots above are slightly off the same point.

But hey, just a request. Thanks for doing what you already did.
That's not really how that works.
It needs to be scaled by AFOV.

This is a good question, so I'll do a short livestream on that in a couple of hours.

ILya

Last edited:
Read last 4 pages…guess I’ll need to ask friends in German to ship a real 6-36 here.
Saw this scope at Shot Show 2023, very nice and a big step, the P5FL is (y)(y)

If you have a chance, it’s be cool to zoom each scope to the same mrad mark.

As in, zoom them both until it’s, say, 10 mrads left (center to the left edge) and 10 mrads to the right edge. Or whatever number you want.

That way we could really see the difference of FOV at pretty much the exact same zoom level. Doesn’t work when all you have is black lines to work with, so it’ll have to be zoomed in a bit.

No promise, but we'll try. Might be hard to get the scopes together again.

What I usually do is go to the shooting range, and put the left side to firing lane 1, and see how far to the right I can see at different magnifications. Works for thermals also, and beats all the data the suppliers supply.

Below are two InfiRay thermals (Zoom monocular/scanner at 4x and a Tube TL35SE at 3x) to prove the point. This "data" can easily be compared with other models and brands, (as well as the image quality, which is harder for an analogue scope).

Attachments

• PIC_193128.jpeg
    PIC_193128.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 62
  • TFB-Tube35-REview-13.PNG
    TFB-Tube35-REview-13.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
The one issue nobody is talking about is...

just because an optic says "10x zoom" doesn't mean that is calibrated/correct from a maths persepective
And IIRC you need to control for that anytime you are testing FOV, since FOV fmla has a obvious ∆ in x

or maybe I'm wrong, and one of the gurus can chime in...
I'm aware of it, and the "6" is not really marked on the S&B 5-25x, so you have to take an educated guess.

The FOV wasn't really the point, it was the high resolution of the 6-36x from the beginning, where the 5-25x performs more like looking through a roll of toilet paper. Having said that, I used my 5-25 in a competition and it didn't fail me (I did!), as I never use it in the region below 15x anyway.

Optics trade used to also do great videos outdoors looking through the glass, demonstrating reticles and what not, maybe they will start that up again !

The euro-spec model with the wide FOV is a very appealing scope, at least on paper.
In the video they have through scope with the P5FL, I would love to see the same done with the Gr2ID

Anyone else notice a "ping" like sound when dialing through the whole elvation range? I get one "ping" when dialing from the top to the zero stop and one after the first revolution when dialing up. Sounds like a spring is jumping from one position to the other.
I have to say overall I am not too impressed with the scope. Should have gone with a second ZP5 imho.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Anyone else notice a "ping" like sound when dialing through the whole elvation range? I get one "ping" when dialing from the top to the zero stop and one after the first revolution when dialing up. Sounds like a spring is jumping from one position to the other.
I have to say overall I am not too impressed with the scope. Should have gone with a second ZP5 imho.

C5DrBFlgwoZ1.gif

On a more serious note, maybe the noise has something to do with the revolution indicator, but having not used an MT or DTII+ turret yet I can't tell you if that's normal or not.

On a more serious note, maybe the noise has something to do with the revolution indicator, but having not used an MT or DTII+ turret yet I can't tell you if that's normal or not.

I happens after the rev indicator is actuated but it might have something to do with it.

I like it! I think the change to the center compared to the P4F is an improvement, especially at high magnification. Granted, this is mounted on a rifle I primarily shoot long range and ELR with, and I was finding the GRID reticle a bit too busy for my needs in this context.

I have except for S&B….wait is that “alpha”? I don’t want to start shit. Am on a simple reticle hunt right now and the P5FL seems to be fitting the bill…..or the JTAC 🤔
Thought you’d already been through all the middle to high end stuff: Vortex, NF, ZCO, TT.. maybe Kahles too?

Reactions: Islas82
Thought you’d already been through all the middle to high end stuff: Vortex, NF, ZCO, TT.. maybe Kahles too?
All those except Kahles, I have never been interested in those. I have never liked the old design on the S&B nor the reticles so that’s why I have never gave them a shot but this new 6-36 checks all the boxes and the DTII+ look really interesting.

Last edited:
I have realized that I don’t care for locking elevation turrets and I don’t want to pay extra to have my ZCO converted or wait for NLE’to be available and pay extra. That being said the fact that there’s a lever on the S&B that I can just keep on the MTC or non MTC has my attention.

Last edited:
I have realized that I don’t care for locking elevation turrets and I don’t want to pay extra to have my ZCO converted or wait for NLE’to be available and pay extra. That being said the fact that there’s a lever on the S&B that I can just keep on the MTC or non MTC has my attention.
The beauty of the DT II+ locking mechanism is if you don't want locking you leave it off.

The beauty of the DT II+ locking mechanism is if you don't want locking you leave it off.
I don’t think they hit the perfect balance of MTC to standard click though. I thought the MTC was only noticeable when going deliberately slowly when I had my sample.

That’s interesting to hear…I personally wish it were a little more subtle. I have to concentrate more than I’d like so I don’t accidentally over-dial when I have a single click past the tactile click.

I just came back from a Schmidt & Bender factory visit.

Had the 6-36 US and EU version side by side on their evaluation bench. And some competitors.

After 5000 kms on the road, and flying away tomorrow, I wish I could tell more, but I guess the difference between the two was less than expected.

Just say you got the Euro one, and no one will know the difference LOL. 😅

SoB.PNG
Sob-636.PNG

So guys, if you had to choose, S&B 5-25 or S&B 6-36?

I want a different scope on top of my .308 bolt gun

So guys, if you had to choose, S&B 5-25 or S&B 6-36?

I want a different scope on top of my .308 bolt gun

Reticles blow in the 636 so unless your cool with those, 525s still ain't a bad scope at used money def not new tho.

Have had Razor Gen IIs, ATACRs, now I have a PMII 5-45 in moa CW but I want RAL8000 in mil in CCW. (Rifle is RAL8000). Started reading about the 6-36 a week ago and now I’m down this downward spiral on articles about the 6-36, 5-45, ZCO, and Tangent. If only I could have them all at once to compare.