• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooter gets good news, bad news, and a great day of shooting!

Moby

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
Dallas, Don't mess with Texas!
Howdy all,
I’m a former Coast Guard LEO and have been shooting on and off since I was 17 in boot camp. After ten years I kept shooting but only occasionally and always pistols. Well in my older years I’ve fallen for the sport of longer range shooting. To be honest I’ve not reached out far at all. Mostly 100 yards with my new AR 10 .308. But I’ve got the bug and now am starting all kinds of new learning curves. In part thanks to this site and others like it.
(Damn it ......you’ve no idea what you guys have done to my wallet!! Well, maybe you do. LOL)

After getting the Armalite AR 10 in .308 I purchased a low end scope (afraid to dive in the deep end of high dollar glass just yet). I bought a Millett 4-16x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope.

AR10_zpsd2c1b345.jpg

Millett 4-16x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope FREE S&H BK81001, BK81008, BK81001A. Millett Rifle Scopes.

I was impressed with the feel and layout. The knobs were tight to turn but I could live with it. But when I went to the range I kept getting low shots and no amount of elevation adjustment changed the grouping. Thinking I’m new and just “wasn’t getting it”. An acquaintance of mine I met through another forum called and asked me about a place to shoot locally as his friend was coming into town and they wanted to shoot. This acquaintance is Jody and he was an Army Sniper trainer with a couple of tours in Iraq under his belt and countless hours teaching. He has forgotten more about shooting than I’ve ever known. His buddy Ed, a SWAT Sniper for a city in Texas. Talk about being lucky enough to go shooting with these guys! JACKPOT!!

DPP_0008_zpscc6a0f41.jpg

At the end of the day we discovered my Millett Scope is defective (I knew that but felt better that they confirmed it) and I’m sending it back for replacement. I purchased through Optics Planet so I hope it’s no problem. I also learned a lot about reloading. Something else I’m getting into. Not to mention everything I could think to ask about shooting from these two experts. At the end of the day….seek and you will find.
We had a great day shooting; I got to shoot some serious AR 10’s in the $6000 dollar range with all the toys, and learned an incredible amount of information.

So it begins…..the quest from new long range shooter to that first 1000 yard bull’s-eye. I wonder if my wife will leave me for the money this is going to cost? Naw….she loves venison. I’ll bring home the deer meat and she’ll love it.

On the up and down side….I took my 13 year old daughter shooting for the first time. TALK ABOUT A PROUD PAPA MOMENT!!
The down side....
Now everything just got REALLY expensive. SHE WANT’S MY AR 10 !!!!
And a pink 9mm with matching accessories!!!! I'm going to need a second job.

Sierra with a Glock 30 .45
IMG_0238_zps0fb38886.jpg

I tried to get her to shoot the .22LR. She wanted no part of it.
"It's not powerful enough daddy"
IMG_0202-1_zpsa4a54626.jpg

Welcome and congrats on getting you daughter started. Get your wife involved. The family that shoots together - goes broke together.

Seedy looking crew in that first picture,emo30.gif ....Welcome to the Hide.

Nothing wrong with a Millet, I had one...it was defective also. They seem to have a lot of that. Consider a NightForce when your ready to move up.

Good looking babe there, Pop...."Its not powerful enough."...gotta love it.

The good news is at least you can caulk any expenses up to daddy daughter time, which is one the very best investments on the planet. And in 12-13 years when she starts to date she will be prepared and confident enough to take care of herself. I have an 8 yo girl and she loves shooting as well. Her favorite so far is shooting 45 colt loads from my 454 Casull.

Ryan

It was my purchase of an AR-10 that first brought me here to the Hide, which then gave birth to the idea of the SPS that my Millet 4-16 (Buck Gold?)resided upon. It was my first long range glass and it too was de-fuck-tive. The reticle bounced around inside the scope. When I I sent it back to Midway, I did not want another.

My daughters like a little more excitement than the .22s but they don't help me reload beyond picking up our brass and aren't exactly coming home with boxes of fresh ammo to replenish the supply! And my oldest thinks my Savage 116 (223) is hers now...

Excellent post Moby even though I have real problems with another Moby, but that's another long and very old story...

nice set up my friend. you can not go wrong with that millet scope. IMO, one of the best bang for your buck scopes on the market. glass is just as clear as my vortex pst.

Howdy all,
I’m a former Coast Guard LEO and have been shooting on and off since I was 17 in boot camp. After ten years I kept shooting but only occasionally and always pistols. Well in my older years I’ve fallen for the sport of longer range shooting. To be honest I’ve not reached out far at all. Mostly 100 yards with my new AR 10 .308. But I’ve got the bug and now am starting all kinds of new learning curves. In part thanks to this site and others like it.
(Damn it ......you’ve no idea what you guys have done to my wallet!! Well, maybe you do. LOL)

After getting the Armalite AR 10 in .308 I purchased a low end scope (afraid to dive in the deep end of high dollar glass just yet). I bought a Millett 4-16x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope.

AR10_zpsd2c1b345.jpg

Millett 4-16x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope FREE S&H BK81001, BK81008, BK81001A. Millett Rifle Scopes.

I was impressed with the feel and layout. The knobs were tight to turn but I could live with it. But when I went to the range I kept getting low shots and no amount of elevation adjustment changed the grouping. Thinking I’m new and just “wasn’t getting it”. An acquaintance of mine I met through another forum called and asked me about a place to shoot locally as his friend was coming into town and they wanted to shoot. This acquaintance is Jody and he was an Army Sniper trainer with a couple of tours in Iraq under his belt and countless hours teaching. He has forgotten more about shooting than I’ve ever known. His buddy Ed, a SWAT Sniper for a city in Texas. Talk about being lucky enough to go shooting with these guys! JACKPOT!!

DPP_0008_zpscc6a0f41.jpg

At the end of the day we discovered my Millett Scope is defective (I knew that but felt better that they confirmed it) and I’m sending it back for replacement. I purchased through Optics Planet so I hope it’s no problem. I also learned a lot about reloading. Something else I’m getting into. Not to mention everything I could think to ask about shooting from these two experts. At the end of the day….seek and you will find.
We had a great day shooting; I got to shoot some serious AR 10’s in the $6000 dollar range with all the toys, and learned an incredible amount of information.

So it begins…..the quest from new long range shooter to that first 1000 yard bull’s-eye. I wonder if my wife will leave me for the money this is going to cost? Naw….she loves venison. I’ll bring home the deer meat and she’ll love it.

On the up and down side….I took my 13 year old daughter shooting for the first time. TALK ABOUT A PROUD PAPA MOMENT!!
The down side....
Now everything just got REALLY expensive. SHE WANT’S MY AR 10 !!!!
And a pink 9mm with matching accessories!!!! I'm going to need a second job.

Sierra with a Glock 30 .45
IMG_0238_zps0fb38886.jpg

I tried to get her to shoot the .22LR. She wanted no part of it.
"It's not powerful enough daddy"
IMG_0202-1_zpsa4a54626.jpg

It was my purchase of an AR-10 that first brought me here to the Hide, which then gave birth to the idea of the SPS that my Millet 4-16 (Buck Gold?)resided upon. It was my first long range glass and it too was de-fuck-tive. The reticle bounced around inside the scope. When I I sent it back to Midway, I did not want another.

My daughters like a little more excitement than the .22s but they don't help me reload beyond picking up our brass and aren't exactly coming home with boxes of fresh ammo to replenish the supply! And my oldest thinks my Savage 116 (223) is hers now...

Excellent post Moby even though I have real problems with another Moby, but that's another long and very old story...

I thought he was mostly Ahab's problem.

More great news!!!
I called the number for Millett on their website and got Bushnell.
They purchased Millet. I asked them I needed an RMA number or proof of purchase.
They said no the Millett is covered by a lifetime warrantee. I sent it in and just got it back.
They also sent me a coupon for 30-40% discount on ANY Bushnell product!!!
So what should I buy?
Between a Spotting Scope or a Laser Range finder?
I plan on learning to hunt. I will start out at a feeder in a blind no farther than 100 yards.
But eventually want to be much farther away. So I'm leaning Laser Ranger.
Anyone hunt? Which would you buy?