• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sierra 169gr SMK (.30)

If anyone wants me to shoot their bullets for them I'll gladly do it as well. I'll most likely need powder and primers too, just to be clear. Brass is probably a good idea, as well as barrels and maybe some gas money. Fair deal I'd say!

1613160444615.gif

These 169 SMK are significantly longer overall length than 175 SMK and have a longer, sleaker more secant ogive profile. They also are factory pointed like most of the newer production SMK's. Base to ogive is about the same on both bullets. I just screwed my 24" Krieger 4G 1:11.25 twist on one of my backup TL3/XLR Envy/BiX N Andy TacSport Pro 2 stage setups. The Krieger has a .308 Bisley chamber done by Keystone Accuracy.

Here are some COAL numbers to lands in this chamber for comparison.

155 SMK: 2.813"
155 TMK: 2.916"
168 TMK: 2.912"
169 SMK: 2.883"
175 SMK: 2.789"
175 TMK: 2.933"
175 M1 Ball 1955: 2.864"

Reactions: Dolomite
Got the initial OCW loaded up and shot today at 100yd with IMR4064. I tested the 175 SMK and 175 TMK's over IMR 4064 in this same brass a few months ago out of this same gun. My initial thoughts.... one weird OCW. Either it really hates this powder, which I find odd since every other 308 Sierra shoots lights out with.... or it really hates this seating depth.

Nice flat spot between 42.6 and 42.8gr with identical velocity and SD.. One shot tight, but that 42.8 has vertical stringing.. I didnt have any pressure on any of these loads. No ejector marks or flat primers.

24" Krieger 4G 1:11.25
.308 Bisley chamber
240rd down barrel
2x Lapua .308 SRP brass
CCI 450
IMR 4064

XLR Envy JV Comptetion
MDT Cyke Pod
Prone with Rear bag

Loaded 0.015" off lands

Just talked with the folks at Sierra they are recommending a coal of 2.850" for the 169 if that helps anyone out.

Lol.. For what? For what chamber? Thats jammed hard in an AR.... Thats varying distances off the lands in numerous different .308 chambers..... So without any info or context this means nothing

Lol.. For what? For what chamber? Thats jammed hard in an AR.... Thats varying distances off the lands in numerous different .308 chambers..... So without any info or context this means nothing
Do with it what you will... that's all the information they would give me... Thanks for stating the obvious though my man you're the best

Do with it what you will... that's all the information they would give me... Thanks for stating the obvious though my man you're the best

Lol. You join this site and come post info with zero important information needed to put your post in context then want to get but hurt and flap at the gums. Stay a while, read, learn a little, know who you're talking to and their experience. You'll get a lot farther around here.

2.85 is

Jammed .01 in my AR
.035 off in my 308 Bisley
.051 off in Rem700 5R

So Sierra told you to load them 2.85 in WHAT chamber?!

Lol. You join this site and come post info with zero important information needed to put your post in context then want to get but hurt and flap at the gums. Stay a while, read, learn a little, know who you're talking to and their experience. You'll get a lot farther around here.
Wasn't trying to get anywhere my friend, was just stating what little information they gave me... As for the rest of your post it was completely uncalled for, but hey that's cool it's the internet. I appreciate you posting your knowledge, I'm currently doing the same thing you are but have been unable to test because it's been raining a solid week here. if you feel like my post was an attack at you in some way I apologize for that, but as I said my post was not directed at you in any kind of way. I'm here to learn and help where I can, not start arguments.

Got the initial OCW loaded up and shot today at 100yd with IMR4064. I tested the 175 SMK and 175 TMK's over IMR 4064 in this same brass a few months ago out of this same gun. My initial thoughts.... one weird OCW. Either it really hates this powder, which I find odd since every other 308 Sierra shoots lights out with.... or it really hates this seating depth.

Nice flat spot between 42.6 and 42.8gr with identical velocity and SD.. One shot tight, but that 42.8 has vertical stringing.. I didnt have any pressure on any of these loads. No ejector marks or flat primers.

24" Krieger 4G 1:11.25
.308 Bisley chamber
240rd down barrel
2x Lapua .308 SRP brass
CCI 450
IMR 4064

XLR Envy JV Comptetion
MDT Cyke Pod
Prone with Rear bag

Loaded 0.015" off lands

Velocity looks about right for that charge. I was running 42.2 of 4064 under a 175 in my Maten (20" Proof) for 2550fps on a 90F day. Same barrel, same day put FGMM168 out at 2575 and FGMM175 at 2550. 42.5gr of 8208 under the 168TMK for 2735fps on the same day in my AIAX 22" (2.175" BTO) that shoots FGMM175 at 2650.

What bullet is the Bisley chamber throated for? 155SMK? 145RG?

Reactions: padom
Wasn't trying to get anywhere my friend, was just stating what little information they gave me... As for the rest of your post it was completely uncalled for, but hey that's cool it's the internet. I appreciate you posting your knowledge, I'm currently doing the same thing you are but have been unable to test because it's been raining a solid week here. if you feel like my post was an attack at you in some way I apologize for that, but as I said my post was not directed at you in any kind of way. I'm here to learn and help where I can, not start arguments.
Just to give you an idea of what Dom is getting at, Sierra ballisticians normally will tell you an OAL for a bullet based on different chamberings. If you call them back, be sure they know what chamber is cut in your rifle. Like Dom, I have a couple different 308 chamberings. My AIAX has 175SMKs touching the lands 0.036" shorter than in my Proof-barreled Mega Maten AR. I haven't measured the 169 lengths in either rifle, but the closest bullet to this for lengths is the 168TMK and my Mega is magazine length limited with that bullet to 2.850" (KAC mags) while the AX would run the 168TMK at 2.950" to be .015" off the lands.

Reactions: padom
Velocity looks about right for that charge. I was running 42.2 of 4064 under a 175 in my Maten (20" Proof) for 2550fps on a 90F day. Same barrel, same day put FGMM168 out at 2575 and FGMM175 at 2550. 42.5gr of 8208 under the 168TMK for 2735fps on the same day in my AIAX 22" (2.175" BTO) that shoots FGMM175 at 2650.

What bullet is the Bisley chamber throated for? 155SMK? 145RG?

Yep velocity is where it should be. The group consistency is odd compared to all my 175 smk and 175 tmk testing.

Here some info on the Bisley chamber. It's shot excellent for me in both a Bartlein 5R and this Krieger 4G..

Just to give you an idea of what Dom is getting at, Sierra ballisticians normally will tell you an OAL for a bullet based on different chamberings. If you call them back, be sure they know what chamber is cut in your rifle. Like Dom, I have a couple different 308 chamberings. My AIAX has 175SMKs touching the lands 0.036" shorter than in my Proof-barreled Mega Maten AR. I haven't measured the 169 lengths in either rifle, but the closest bullet to this for lengths is the 168TMK and my Mega is magazine length limited with that bullet to 2.850" (KAC mags) while the AX would run the 168TMK at 2.950" to be .015" off the lands.
Thanks for the information I greatly appreciate it.

Yep velocity is where it should be. The group consistency is odd compared to all my 175 smk and 175 tmk testing.

Here some info on the Bisley chamber. It's shot excellent for me in both a Bartlein 5R and this Krieger 4G..

Hmmm ... IIRC, the 95 Palma chamber was cut for the 2155. Wonder if the Bisley is more geared to the 2156? 0.050" of additional freebore is ALOT. As you can see, it's only 0.016" away from the notorious "Lawyer-leade" in the R700 chambering.

Hmmm ... IIRC, the 95 Palma chamber was cut for the 2155. Wonder if the Bisley is more geared to the 2156? 0.050" of additional freebore is ALOT. As you can see, it's only 0.016" away from the notorious "Lawyer-leade" in the R700 chambering.

I posted distance to lands with popular bullets in this Bisley chamber. It's a shorter fb compared to other 308 clambering. 175smk hit lands at 2.79 or so

I was able to get out today for some more testing posted a breakdown in a separate thread for those who are interested:

So I was mislead. I still don’t have my Bullets but the 8lbs BL-C 2 I bought for my buddy showed up 😞

Just got back from the range. I ran a seating depth test from just touching to .036" off in .005" increments... will post shortly

I also loaded up the last 10 pieces of brass left after loading the seating depth test so I could check dope to 700yd...

Velocity with 42.6gr was 2700 on the chrono today, low single digit SD's.. 45F, 63% Humidity... 5.2mil to 700yd...not bad

100yd Seating Depth Test

Starting .026" off (compressed load to .001" lands (not compressed)

Last edited:
The Krieger has a .308 Bisley chamber done by Keystone Accuracy.

Here are some COAL numbers to lands in this chamber for comparison.

175 SMK: 2.789"

Interesting. I just got a Krieger barrel back from Keystone, also chambered with his Bisley reamer. My 175 numbers are about .020" greater than yours.

Interesting. I just got a Krieger barrel back from Keystone, also chambered with his Bisley reamer. My 175 numbers are about .020" greater than yours.

I wouldnt put too much stake in the numbers difference... What tool you used or method to measure, calipers, Base to Tip, Base to Ogive, bullet lot variance, how had you push, kissed, touched, into the lands.. Just work off your number. No big deal

Ordered 500 on the 22nd and still waiting. No shipment notice.

This ice and snow in TX has also delayed a powder delivery from Midsouth for me.

Just got back from the range. I ran a seating depth test from just touching to .036" off in .005" increments... will post shortly

I also loaded up the last 10 pieces of brass left after loading the seating depth test so I could check dope to 700yd...

Velocity with 42.6gr was 2700 on the chrono today, low single digit SD's.. 45F, 63% Humidity... 5.2mil to 700yd...not bad

100yd Seating Depth Test

Starting .026" off (compressed load to .001" lands (not compressed)

This is very interesting. The SMK is notorious for being not only jump-tolerant, but also prefers a slight jump. This bullet, in your chamber/barrel, seems to prefer being closer to the lands. Do you think that is the case or the higher velocity is the root cause? Maybe a combination?

This is very interesting. The SMK is notorious for being not only jump-tolerant, but also prefers a slight jump. This bullet, in your chamber/barrel, seems to prefer being closer to the lands. Do you think that is the case or the higher velocity is the root cause? Maybe a combination?

I personally think its a result of the sleeker, more secant ogive design. The new 169smk bullet looks nothing like the short, fat, tangent ogive SMK's we have been used to. Its long as hell, sleek and pointy..... The good news with this is, you can get more powder in the case without any pressure loaded out this long... That shortest seating depth test posted above was compressed (2.85" COAL) with 42.6gr. You arent seating much deeper with that charge, you would have to back your powder charge down to seat them deeper so this is definitely not comparable to your typical 2.80-2.81 168 and 175 smk loads.. They loved to jump a mile.

I personally think its a result of the sleeker, more secant ogive design. The new 169smk bullet looks nothing like the short, fat, tangent ogive SMK's we have been used to. Its long as hell, sleek and pointy..... The good news with this is, you can get more powder in the case without any pressure loaded out this long... That shortest seating depth test posted above was compressed (2.85" COAL) with 42.6gr. You arent seating much deeper with that charge, you would have to back your powder charge down to seat them deeper so this is definitely not comparable to your typical 2.80-2.81 168 and 175 smk loads.. They loved to jump a mile.
Kind of like their 200gr SMK. I wonder if they scaled that 300WM bullet down for a 308?

They mentioned that the tip is closed point as well, and looks it from the images I have seen. Kind of like and RDF perhaps. I think it will behave similarly to the RDFs actually. I have some 168 and 175 RDF to compare it to whenever they ship me my damn boolits. I don’t need a damn label on my box just send ‘em already!!!

They mentioned that the tip is closed point as well, and looks it from the images I have seen. Kind of like and RDF perhaps. I think it will behave similarly to the RDFs actually. I have some 168 and 175 RDF to compare it to whenever they ship me my damn boolits. I don’t need a damn label on my box just send ‘em already!!!

Tip isnt closed on these new 169 SMK's. They are factory pointed.

That’s what I meant, the hollow point being closed down. Not fully enclosed like a fmj.

If you click on the link to the Sierra page on post #1, they are referring to it as “closed nose”

That’s what I meant, the hollow point being closed down. Not fully enclosed like a fmj.
Tips are similar to the 175/168s in that regard however the hole is 1/2 the size on average. 169 on the left, 175 on the right.
0B775D1C-016C-4C82-9891-1AB9D5E59A54.jpeg

Reactions: stewarmy01
Trust me, if you ever saw the "Spun Nose" 168gr Federal ammo that Uncle Sammy bought back in the 80s, this is MUCH cleaner. Those were literally like a 45deg roller was pushed on the front of the bullet. That stuff didn't shoot worth spit past 300.

My order went thru for another box. Haven't got refunded for my first order yet, but figured I would be better safe then sorry.

Edit: second order was refunded and said there was a glitch in the system.

Last edited:
Very disappointing. Mine was also just cancelled while they show the same item in stock. I'm guessing that every order that is cancelled automatically puts one more back in stock. Those will probably be cancelled as well.

My 500ct box order was just cancelled and money refunded. Per Duane Siercks, there is a glitch in their website’s inventory.