• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

Has anyone used an aftermarket thread protector to replace the factory one? Just picked up a 6.5cm and not looking to put a MB on. I have a can in jail, but that'll be another 6+ months, so looking for something in the interim.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I am seeing different sizes listed for 5/8-24. I'm guessing it's for different barrel diameters. Anyone know which would line up?

5/8"-24x.700 x 5/8" long

5/8"-24x.835 x 5/8" long

I thought I would update my previous posts. I wish I had a little more info, but I'll share what I have. In previous posts, I discussed the extreme out of alignment of my bore and optic exampled in the problem that I couldn't zero all but one optic which was an Eotech Vudu 5-25 with an actual 25 mils of windage.

I purchased a Sig barrel assembly which allowed for the replacement of my barrel and extension. This solved the issue. I wish I would have utilized the new extension with the old barrel and tested to see if I could isolate the problem (I'm assuming thread mating on either or both), but I settled on using the new extension and new barrel. Head spacing the new barrel assembly to my bolt was too easy (Brownell's barrel vice, 50-250 lbs torque wrench, AR wrench, gauges, 1 1/16" Large Box Wrench). I would have liked to isolate the barrel or the extension as the culprit, but the new barrel is a shooter so not looking to tear it back apart.

I now have the Vortex LHT 4.5-22 mounted and my zero is almost at the center of my windage adjustment.

As to parts, I purchased the complete Sig 6.5CM barrel assembly which combined a new barrel. extension and jam nut. The Sig barrel assembly did not come with any muzzle adapters or thread protector.

I initially purchased the rifle at Bass Pro when they had an amazing sale on the 6.5 CM model. I think I paid around $1,300 before tax. After spending over $400 on the new barrel and extension, the original sale wasn't so....good. I will probably contact Sig to let them know about the fix as they sent it back to me and reported it as acceptable with no other data. In all fairness, CS was good, kind, but they failed to address the issues or provide what "acceptable" meant.

For those who have had similar problems pertaining to alignment, I suspect, you could check head spacing, maybe spin the barrel in the extension, moving your barrel in a "positive" direction...if headspace allows.

Again, not exact, I didn't isolate the issue, but it's fixed. For those who suspected the receiver face or picatinny rail...maybe, but mine was somewhere within the barrel/extension interface.

Lastly...I also picked up 60 fps with the new, same length barrel.

Blessings,

BC

@BELLYCRAWL You mentioned in another thread that the new barrel did not have proper headspace when you installed it. This makes me wonder if the original barrel was actually off in some headspace-related tolerance? Sounds like it is water under the bridge for you, but it might explain the CS response and shooting performance of the original barrel.

Can you measure your barrel diameter right next to where the thread starts?
I don't have calipers. I was hoping someone with a factory 6.5 barrel may have already measured and could provide some feedback. I'd appreciate it!

@BELLYCRAWL You mentioned in another thread that the new barrel did not have proper headspace when you installed it. This makes me wonder if the original barrel was actually off in some headspace-related tolerance? Sounds like it is water under the bridge for you, but it might explain the CS response and shooting performance of the original barrel.

The original barrel was headspaced to my bolt, but I’m not sure on the OG barrels’ thread concentricity on either the barrel or extension.

I typically check all my rifles’ headspace upon first out of the box cleaning. I’m afraid to confess how much money I have in head space gauges.

I don't have calipers. I was hoping someone with a factory 6.5 barrel may have already measured and could provide some feedback. I'd appreciate it!
A ruler to get an approximation?
The difference between .700" and .835" is pretty noticeable.

I can get that measurement for you later since I have a spare barrel laying in the bench.
Can you measure your barrel diameter right next to where the thread starts?
1.00”

Attachments

• 5AA42B68-5BDD-4CE8-969D-3224A448BD17.jpeg
    5AA42B68-5BDD-4CE8-969D-3224A448BD17.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 113
Original message:
Hey folks - Who would be interested in purchasing an action wrench for the SIG Cross?

I am talking about an honest to goodness tool, not an OUT OF STOCK fantasy that SIG or taconesports.com advertises for $175+. After days of trying to enjoy the "multi-caliber" concept that attracted me to the SIG Cross (see thread here), I have reached a point where I am ready to do something. Not to brag, but rather to establish my street creds ... I have three degress from decent schools (Mechanical Engineering BS from WPI, Engineering Mechanics MS from Virgina Tech, MBA from MIT) and have 30 years of experience including ~15 years of prototype development for the military (some for SOCOM).

Right now, I am getting the tools designed and a price quote for a limited manufacturing run, e.g. 6-24 pieces. The price will be below $175 and the tool will make a lot more sense than what I have seen available.

Any takers? If your would consider buying one, please like this post and I will use that to gauge interest.

Update (3/17/2023).
Please see the initial design concept below. My thought is to build a tool that leverages what many of us already have in our toolboxes where possible. The action wrench depicted in the image below would fit on the end of a 1/2" socket extension and torque wrench. The person using this tool would need a method to secure the gunbarrel (preventing it from rotating), such as a bench vise with soft jaws or a barrel vise.

Update (3/28/2023):

We are going to take measurements at the end of this week and get a prototype 3D printed to check fitment before doing detailed manufacturing drawings. If you would like one of these tools, please like this post and I will reach out to you directly. We can define pricing once we get a quote from a machine shop.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

SIGCrossActionTool.png

Last edited:
It’s $300 on the sig site, which is highway robbery. I got it on sale for closer to $200, which I feel is more in alignment with the market. I haven’t weighed either of them and don’t really think about that kind of stuff. I will say the rifle doesn’t feel like I added very much if any weight.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Received feedback on material selection for my SIG Cross action wrench concept from Nick at Straight Jacket:

I would think even something cheaper that wont require harding and can be soft turned and still hold up, like maybe 416RQ or even 17/40 but the design would work well or at least it should. i would be interested in purchasing these if you make them
Straight Jacket Armory, LLC

Additional feedback is welcome!

Reactions: BELLYCRAWL
Judging by how it looks, it seems like it would be similar to shooting an AR (fundamentally and feel). Which is a whole different ballgame compared to bolt-actions. Been shooting guns my whole life, but it took me a long time to get comfortable enough to shoot an AR with any real precision and consistency. And even after all these years of shooting them, it still feels weird when I jump from bolt to AR.
I decided to forgo the Sig Cross, due to lots of things I would change about them, and their hit-or-miss consistency, and landed on 2 Christensen Arms MPR rifles instead... Both 16", one in .308 Win, and the other in 6mm ARC. They are similar in design (feel) to the Sig Cross, which is similar to an AR platform, since the grip is a pistol grip, and the stock is setup in a straight line with the action, but after a few hundred shots I'm getting better with them. It's for sure a muscle-memory learning curve to shoot a chassis gun, but I have a feeling that with time, I'll be as comfortable as I am with a traditional stock'd rifle.

Since no one that I am aware of currently makes an aftermarket bag rider for this rifle. I decided to model up a prototype in solidworks and 3D print one. It bolted right up using the stock screws and worked flawless. Clearance for the screw heads was a bit tight with my printer but not bad. Might make a few small tweaks in the near future, but its made form standard PLA and is very light if thats a concern. Very sold with full infill in the print. If anyone would like the .STL file to print on their own I would be happy to send.

View attachment 7656445
View attachment 7656446
View attachment 7656447
View attachment 7656448
View attachment 7656452
View attachment 7656453
View attachment 7656456
I would like one please

Eh. Most people don’t need a rail all the way down the handguard. And adding a 2 inch longer barrel doesn’t give that much more velocity. From what I see it looks like this model is about $200 more than the standard model. My 18 inch Creedmoor cross shoot under half inch groups very easily.

Reactions: PhilOX11 and Rev68
Eh. Most people don’t need a rail all the way down the handguard. And adding a 2 inch longer barrel doesn’t give that much more velocity. From what I see it looks like this model is about $200 more than the standard model. My 18 inch Creedmoor cross shoot under half inch groups very easily.
Yeah, not really sure why they added this along with the PRS. But I guess more choices are usually good.

Yeah, not really sure why they added this along with the PRS. But I guess more choices are usually good.
Beats me. If you can get over not having the arca rail that the PRS comes with, you can get a standard cross for $1500, and a custom prefit for $509, and probably have a better shooter than the PRS model for $500 less

Beats me. If you can get over not having the arca rail that the PRS comes with, you can get a standard cross for $1500, and a custom prefit for $509, and probably have a better shooter than the PRS model for $500 less
Maybe, but the PRS has more than a longer barrel, like ARCA rail you mention, but also the heavier stock, different grip, better mag release, etc

does .223 become a viable hunting round out of a short barrel once you get to Europe?
In England .223 is used mainly for foxes and two small breeds of deer.
My short barreled .223 has accounted for a lot of foxes and deer with the farthest fox being 237y. Where I shoot, it is mainly small fields and rolling hills so a short barreled, light .223 is perfect for the job.

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_220957221~2.jpg
    IMG_20221209_220957221~2.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 91
In England .223 is used mainly for foxes and two small breeds of deer.
My short barreled .223 has accounted for a lot of foxes and deer with the farthest fox being 237y. Where I shoot, it is mainly small fields and rolling hills so a short barreled, light .223 is perfect for the job.
that makes a lot of sense, especially at that range. curious, are foxes there a pest animal or do you hunt them for meat/pelt?

also, that doesn't look like a short barrel in your photo, no? i know .223 loses a lot of velocity under 11/10".

I have a friend here in the states that’s been hunting with a 223 bolt gun for years, shooting steel cased soft points. Hadn’t had a deer get more than 10-20 yards.

I wouldn’t do it, unless I had to.

Has the sig cross made anyone else LOVE short rifles?
I just had a 18” savage cut down to 16” and threw a tract hunter scope on it.
DECE3B7E-CE6C-480F-A719-1C2CE18C20DA.jpeg
D51258D5-C1AA-4997-BA7D-E7A465F44490.jpeg

that makes a lot of sense, especially at that range. curious, are foxes there a pest animal or do you hunt them for meat/pelt?

also, that doesn't look like a short barrel in your photo, no? i know .223 loses a lot of velocity under 11/10".
Foxes are a pest for farmers as they take lambs, piglets, chickens, etc. Same situation on game shoots with the birds.
My .223 is a straight pull Schmeisser with a 14.5" barrel, Ase Utra moderator, Timney trigger and Ergo grip. Nosler tipped 55g Federal factory ammo leave the barrel at 2848 fps and takes no prisoners!

I grew up in upstate NY-I can say that tons of deer, big ones at that have been taken with .22 WMR and .222(aka triple deuce)
As for .223-put them in the right spot and it will fall over. 16" with a 62 grain TBBC. Although other than dangerous game, most small/medium calibers do the job if placed well.
I think if Sig released the Cross in .223/5.56, it would be a hit.

Does anyone know the distance from center of bore to top of picatinny rail for the Sig Cross in 308? I looked in the manual and could not find it.

Buy yourself a vernier caliper; easy to use and you can then also measure your scope height for Strelok Pro.
Yes, I have one, but measuring this distance does not seem straight forward.

Do you have advice regarding the points to measure on the gun?

Yes, I have one, but measuring this distance does not seem straight forward.

Do you have advice regarding the points to measure on the gun?
measure from where the ring halves meet to the bottom of the eject port on the action, which is about center of the barrel.

Reactions: Greg M
measure from where the ring halves meet to the bottom of the eject port on the action, which is about center of the barrel.
Thank you. Your advice gave me more insight and I tried a few ideas of my own in addition to yours. I came up with 1.2" from the barrel center (used the firing pin hole in the bolt) to the top of the picatinny rail. This was on the standard Cross, 308.

My .308 has a 34 mm scope in rings and my measurment using my digital calipers is 2 inches. And that has produced accurate results in the ballistic solvers.

I had some pretty serious heat drift issues with my original Sig barrel - issues persisted after a trip back for a barrel swap. I decided to stop messing around.

Paul Craddock of Craddock Precision is working up a Bartlein 400MODBB barrel for me in 6.5 Creedmoor with an M24-ish profile. Will report back when it arrives and I’ve had a chance to run it through its paces.

Given the work he’s done before, I’m excited for the result and the turnaround times once these are in production.

Sig customer service advised that the “integral base mount” pictured on page 91 of the manual has been assigned a part number, but is not yet available. Based on the recent availability of the 0 MOA picatinny mount, the rep guessed it will be available “soon”.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Dcubano
Sig customer service advised that the “integral base mount” pictured on page 91 of the manual has been assigned a part number, but is not yet available. Based on the recent availability of the 0 MOA picatinny mount, the rep guessed it will be available “soon”.
Nice. Did you get a price?