• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

I have Magpul rail covers and hand stop fitted to mine. I find the rail covers give me a better grip and the hand stop gives shot stability when shooting out of a high seat. I push the stop against the high seat bar for extra stability and if the bar is exposed metal, it prevents noise or scratches on the hand guard.

Can't resist showing my little darling
IMG_20220329_161732876~3.jpg

Have been wanting to build a big bore bolt action for subsonics…..so what about a .458 socom barrel for the sig cross? Would make a killer thermal hunter

Have been wanting to build a big bore bolt action for subsonics…..so what about a .458 socom barrel for the sig cross? Would make a killer thermal hunter
Why not build a .50 Alaskan... 😏

Will be interested in how the 169s work out for you. Just about out of 168s so maybe it’s time for a change.
The 169's were the ticket. Will still need some fine tuning but it was solid right out of the box. They're longer with the ogive set further back, much like the Hornady 200 ELDX. With something like the Hornady 155 match, I can load them and get .002 off the jam (not the lands). Couldn't achieve that with the Sierra 169's so I loaded to mag length, 2.865", although I use the ogive measurement with the Hornady
comparator. I started at 43 grains of 4046 and loaded up to 45.5 in half grain increments. Had to stop at 45 due to pressure signs. But 43, 43.5, 44, 44.5 were all sub MOA. I can't remember the jump measurements off the top of my head but I'll measure again and post when I get a chance.

I also made two changes. First, I moved the scope back one position on the rail. It had been right on the seam between where the hand guard meets the receiver. Second, I stopped pressing my cheek tightly against the cheek weld. This helped tremendously in getting rid of "the pulse" as I looked through the scope.

Edit: The jump to jamb, not lands, for the Sierra Matchking 169gr. HPBT, #2269, is .076 if loading at max mag length of 2.865. But this can vary depending on head space settings and which barrel you're using.

Last edited:
The 169's were the ticket. Will still need some fine tuning but it was solid right out of the box. They're longer with the ogive set further back, much like the Hornady 200 ELDX. With something like the Hornady 155 match, I can load them and get .002 off the jam (not the lands). Couldn't achieve that with the Sierra 169's so I loaded to mag length, 2.865", although I use the ogive measurement with the Hornady
comparator. I started at 43 grains of 4046 and loaded up to 45.5 in half grain increments. Had to stop at 45 due to pressure signs. But 43, 43.5, 44, 44.5 were all sub MOA. I can't remember the jump measurements off the top of my head but I'll measure again and post when I get a chance.

I also made two changes. First, I moved the scope back one position on the rail. It had been right on the seam between where the hand guard meets the receiver. Second, I stopped pressing my cheek tightly against the cheek weld. This helped tremendously in getting rid of "the pulse" as I looked through the scope.
Judging by how it looks, it seems like it would be similar to shooting an AR (fundamentally and feel). Which is a whole different ballgame compared to bolt-actions. Been shooting guns my whole life, but it took me a long time to get comfortable enough to shoot an AR with any real precision and consistency. And even after all these years of shooting them, it still feels weird when I jump from bolt to AR.

Reactions: PowerLineman2
Judging by how it looks, it seems like it would be similar to shooting an AR (fundamentally and feel). Which is a whole different ballgame compared to bolt-actions. Been shooting guns my whole life, but it took me a long time to get comfortable enough to shoot an AR with any real precision and consistency. And even after all these years of shooting them, it still feels weird when I jump from bolt to AR.
This is the first bolt gun I've owned and I find it difficult to shoot well likely due to the lack of weight and some of it due to environmental factors I have to work around at a public range. So I always question my results; how much of it is the gun and how much of it is me. I've never taken any formal rifle course or precision shooting class and should probably read a bit more on technique. It's the man/read the directions, look at the map conundrum I guess.

I may actually try adding weights or using a sled for load development just to take the shooter out of the equation although the challenge is part of the fun. I find my 308 AR easier to shoot in some ways. I brought both out this time, shot the cross first, moved over to the POF and caught myself reaching for the bolt handle a few times, LOL.

Reactions: FuhQ
Why not build a .50 Alaskan... 😏

The bigger the better, but also concerned about suppressor availability. With running subs, will want a serviceable suppressor so probably going to be limited to a pistol can, in .45cal.

I am sure there is something within this thread but I am going to ask anyway. lol

What, if any, has anyone found to be the best muzzle device for the Cross? Main purpose will be hunting and a friendly shooting out to 600yds.

Break? Comp?

I am sure everyone is going to say put a can on it but that is not a reality for this hunting season. Unless some here in NC wants to let me borrow theirs. :p

This is the first bolt gun I've owned and I find it difficult to shoot well likely due to the lack of weight and some of it due to environmental factors I have to work around at a public range. So I always question my results; how much of it is the gun and how much of it is me. I've never taken any formal rifle course or precision shooting class and should probably read a bit more on technique. It's the man/read the directions, look at the map conundrum I guess.

I may actually try adding weights or using a sled for load development just to take the shooter out of the equation although the challenge is part of the fun. I find my 308 AR easier to shoot in some ways. I brought both out this time, shot the cross first, moved over to the POF and caught myself reaching for the bolt handle a few times, LOL.
I feel your pain. Purchased a Kimber for hunting that was very light. The caliber was hardly a kicker (6.5CM) but despite our best efforts, neither my son or myself could ever get it to shoot consistently. Finally sold it. Very light rifles have their purpose, but some weight really helps. (Nailed a deer through the neck/spine with my 9 pound Weatherby Tuesday evening)

Earlier. Purchased a Custom XP100, HS Precision stock, mounted one of the rare 7X Burris target scopes. Could not hit a thing. Took it apart, cut a groove in the front of the stock, epoxied in a lead weight, shot more perfect IHMSA scores than all my other handguns combined. Shot my way into International class with that handgun.

so, I suspect that adding weight to the forend might be the answer. If that won’t work, you can do what I did, sell the gun, keep the scope purchase one that weights more, put the scope on and go to shooting.

And always remember Rule #1 of firearm ownership. Forget profit, the will always sell for less that you paid.

I am sure there is something within this thread but I am going to ask anyway. lol

What, if any, has anyone found to be the best muzzle device for the Cross? Main purpose will be hunting and a friendly shooting out to 600yds.

Break? Comp?

I am sure everyone is going to say put a can on it but that is not a reality for this hunting season. Unless some here in NC wants to let me borrow theirs. :p

Put a can on it. Lol.

There probably is several right answers to this. I've had good experience with PVA and APA. The new MDT is supposedly tuned to not throw as much blast back at the shooter. So that may be beneficial for hunting.

Reactions: Booseman
I have yet to pick mine up so I can not do it, but does anyone know what the diameter of the barrel is at the crown? This is for the purchase of a brake.

Break? Comp?

Taking a shot with a brake sucks ass and hunting with ear pro also sucks and trying to remember to put them on or even having the opportunity to do it also doesn’t always happen.

For hunting I’d buy a can and put a thread protector on it until the paperwork clears.

Just shows what a bunch of tarts we are when something new and shiny appears and we are distracted immediately!
Agree. I just wish Sig would honor their word and provide the products they already hooked us with. Got the 6.5 the week it came out and have been patiently waiting for the 277 fury to become available. Next month will be the 2nd year that I attempt Elk hunting with a small round. Proof reserch posted on their IG about development work for the cross and hope they make a carbon 277 barrel in 22 inch so I can finally own what I wanted 2 years ago.

I need to pick up a travel case for my Sig cross. Anyone have reconditions? I would like to futureproof it and make sure a 22 in barrel with a muzzle break will fit in the case when its folded up. Post pics if possible and also need it to be TSA approved. Thx yall!!!!

Hey everyone, bought myself a sig cross prs the other day. I was trying to install the area 419 hellfire match brake with adapter and noticed the barrel threads bottom out on the adapter, causing a gap. Scared to torque the adapter down incase it galls the threads.

Any have experience with this? What have others done? Have you just shimmed it?

Appreciate any info
E053C8EE-6B01-4B66-BACE-951951B3D093.jpeg
4FBACF35-CE08-4E3B-9C08-C483877B010A.jpeg

Reactions: nickw
Hey everyone, bought myself a sig cross prs the other day. I was trying to install the area 419 hellfire match brake with adapter and noticed the barrel threads bottom out on the adapter, causing a gap. Scared to torque the adapter down incase it galls the threads.

Appreciate any info
View attachment 7984699View attachment 7984700

I’d send it back to Sig and let them fix their out of spec threads.

Appreciate any info
Did you use the barrel taper spacer? Looks like you might be up against the taper.

Reactions: jbuck88

Appreciate any info
View attachment 7984699View attachment 7984700
Yes, it appears you are missing the tapered shoulder for using non-sig suppressors. Once installed you should should be ok.

Have you had any luck with the 8.6 on the Cross yet? Very interested in an 8.6 barrel for my Cross

our 16" 6.5 twist barrel is very accurate so far. Tweaking some things and hoping to have it available for order in a month or so.

I will say though, I still think the 338FED is vastly superior for any realistic hunting use(except for shooting hogs quietly inside of 150-200yrds) A very under appreciated round really. We have a few of them around in 338fed and they are super fun to shoot. With some hand loads, should be able to keep a 225gr bullet supersonic past 1300yrds.. out of an 18" barrel

our 16" 6.5 twist barrel is very accurate so far. Tweaking some things and hoping to have it available for order in a month or so.

I will say though, I still think the 338FED is vastly superior for any realistic hunting use(except for shooting hogs quietly inside of 150-200yrds) A very under appreciated round really. We have a few of them around in 338fed and they are super fun to shoot. With some hand loads, should be able to keep a 225gr bullet supersonic past 1300yrds.. out of an 18" barrel
Well said. I do not understand the obsession with the 8.6. The 338 Federal was never really appreciated and can cover so much ground for a hunting round. The 8.6 covers it well...within a stupid short range.

Reactions: Bozeman.Man
Well said. I do not understand the obsession with the 8.6. The 338 Federal was never really appreciated and can cover so much ground for a hunting round. The 8.6 covers it well...within a stupid short range.
What I am always told when I think a new round does nothing any better than an older round does. It's marketing.

The only round that really broke anything resembling new ground (in this century and much of the last) was the most unlikely, the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistically a twin to the 6.5x55 and the 260 Remington, the new ground was packaging of the powder in a case that provided room for sufficient powder while still allowing the extended throat, minimizing case stretch and promoting easy feeding from a magazine. Finally, insisting that a proper twist rate for the 6.5 caliber be utilized. (a most unlikely caliber.)

How are the barrel extensions coming along? Still waiting so its easier to go back and forth from burning up my cheap 308 ammo and components to hunting.

What I am always told when I think a new round does nothing any better than an older round does. It's marketing.

The only round that really broke anything resembling new ground (in this century and much of the last) was the most unlikely, the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistically a twin to the 6.5x55 and the 260 Remington, the new ground was packaging of the powder in a case that provided room for sufficient powder while still allowing the extended throat, minimizing case stretch and promoting easy feeding from a magazine. Finally, insisting that a proper twist rate for the 6.5 caliber be utilized. (a most unlikely caliber.)

it is marketing. good marketing will always talk people into s**t they don't need... haha.
How are the barrel extensions coming along? Still waiting so its easier to go back and forth from burning up my cheap 308 ammo and components to hunting.
slowly but surely, we will have them. I am hoping within a month or 2, but it's impossible to get an exact ETA.

Here’s the best upgrade you can do to a Cross. Sell it at a loss and buy a Fix. Butt locks up tight, doesn’t flop and rattle around when folded, LOP doesn’t collapse when shooting it, better trigger, better accuracy.

Attachments

• D86DE33E-1E56-4651-9C8B-F94FAEE3E8B7.jpeg
    D86DE33E-1E56-4651-9C8B-F94FAEE3E8B7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 285