• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Stick - Accuracy International 6.5x47 Lapua

P3T3R

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2011
Kent, United Kingdom
Now I ordered this rifle at the end of October and after a long wait I got an e-mail last Thursday letting me know that it was now ready and luckily I was able to pick it up Friday morning before work. It would have been ready nearly a week earlier but the proof house managed to try and proof a 6.5 barrel as a .243 and it had to be sent back and proofed again.

Now lets get on to the bit you all want to see.

IMG_0216 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

Just a tease lets peel the top off.

IMG_0217 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0220 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0219 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0221 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

As you can see it is an Accuracy International AE MKIII with a folding stock chambered in 6.5x47 with a 26” fluted barrel and threaded muzzle break to take a MAE moderator.

Here are some of the goodies that I got to go with it, Tab Gear biathlon sling that it is very comfy for carrying such a beast, Atlas bipod which is almost the standard now for AI’s and AICS’s, an Accushot BT08QK and Adaptor, a Spuhr mount more on that later, some factory ammo and an expensive scope.

IMG_0218 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

In the white box is the new PMII 3-20x50 LP MTC LT (more abbreviations than a modern car lol) Just a word of warning, I ordered the Spuhr SP-4801 which has 13 MIL/44.4MOA and is the lowest at 30mm/1.18” and the scope and covers clear the barrel, BUT where the bottom of the turret on the 3-20 protrudes below the bottom of the tube it actually made contact on the mount, ONLY though when the side clamp is done up. When the side clamp was removed there was a small but enough amount of clearance. WARNING this next step may void your warranty, I actually filed the centre of the side clamp so that it was level the rest of the mount and was then able to successfully mount the scope. It may be made out of aluminum but it is the hardest aluminum I have ever worked with. Sorry I didn’t get any photos I was to interested in getting the scope mounted. I would reccomend this mount for a double turn 3-12 or 4-16 PMII but for the 3-20 or 5-25 I would us the higher model.

IMG_0222 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

At this point I had not modified the mount it was fresh out of the box, also that isn't a scratch it just rubs off.

Here is a picture of the scope mounted, torqued and leveled.* *

IMG_0248 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0246 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0249 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

Unfortunately I had to work over the weekend but fast forward to Monday and I can finally get to the range to zero and stretch her legs, I started at 25m and within 5 shot I was in the red would have been 4 if I dialed the windage the correct way. Then the best group of the day was the first group shot at 92m/100yards.

IMG_0251 by peteabbotson, on Flickr
Shot 4 was just off the paper to the right, but I had a large white roll of paper on the target board incase that happend.

TgtGfx3 by peteabbotson, on Flickr
So then I decided to put the moderator on and the POI shifted down by 2” so I re-zeroed with the mod on as this is how I will mostly use it!

TgtGfx by peteabbotson, on Flickr
The group on the left is without the mod and the group on the right is with the moderator on and no adjustment made to the scope, then the shot in the centre is with the scope zeroed for the mod.

TgtGfx1 by peteabbotson, on Flickr
Just another target I was zeroing by trying to shoot my bullet hole on the bottom group first two to het close and then I was on. And not to bad of a 5 shot group at the top.
All these groups were shot with Lapua 123gr Scenar factory ammo so not bad
I then moved back to 250m and shot 2 3 shot groups which are one just over MOA and the other just under*

250m 1 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

250m 2 by peteabbotson, on Flickr
As others have said these are amazing rifles and well worth the hefty price tag, there is nothing to add that has not been said about these rifles before, they are silky smooth and so precise, it is just a joy to use.
I will update you all once I have had the time to do some proper load development, although I need to get some more factory ammo as I am going to Lydd on Sunday and will try to take her out to 1100m.
Just like to say a big thank you to Tom at Sporting Services for looking after me, I have a bottle sitting here for him that I forgot to take when I collected the rifle, sorry Tom will drop it off when I collect some more ammo.*
Thats about it for the range report here are some more photos that were all taken on an iPhone 4 and have not yet been edited.*

IMG_0250 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0247 by peteabbotson, on Flickr
Some views of the 250m range

IMG_0244 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by peteabbotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does the suppresspr/moderator attach on your muzzle brake? I wish we could buy them as easily as you all do!

Not to be ignorant but I thought the guns had to be stored in a gun club locker or something in England? So if you live out in the country do you get to just keep them in a safe? That looks like private land, only reason I ask.

Unless it has changed drastically, I believe they can still store them at home, in a safe. IIRC, the safe has to be alarmed and tied into the local Constable's station, so they are alerted if a break-in occurs. It's been a few years since I spent time in the UK, so it may have changed (not to mention the laws vary within the different countries (Wales, Scotland etc), and counties).

Congrats on the purchase! I was under the impression that with the new style skins, a monopod can't be mounted and didn't see it mounted in your pictures. Is there a way to mount one now?

Nice setup. Where are you shooting ? Is that the MAE suppressor ?

$7200.00+ for all I'm guesing!

I'm in England so paid in GBP but when converted with XE currency it works out at nearly $10K

Does the suppresspr/moderator attach on your muzzle brake? I wish we could buy them as easily as you all do!

Not to be ignorant but I thought the guns had to be stored in a gun club locker or something in England? So if you live out in the country do you get to just keep them in a safe? That looks like private land, only reason I ask.

Yes the moderator has a 18x1.5 left hand thread that screws on to the muzzle brake. No people can store their guns at home but most people can only use them at a registered gun club, although I also have this licensed for deer stalking so I can zero on land over which I have permission to shoot. The land is owned by a private firearms dealer who lives just 500 yards down the road which is bl**dy handy.

Unless it has changed drastically, I believe they can still store them at home, in a safe. IIRC, the safe has to be alarmed and tied into the local Constable's station, so they are alerted if a break-in occurs. It's been a few years since I spent time in the UK, so it may have changed (not to mention the laws vary within the different countries (Wales, Scotland etc), and counties).

Like you say MarinePMI different constabularies each have their own views, my house is alarmed but it is not linked to the local police station. I know of people with firearm / shotgun certificates whose houses don't even have alarms.

Congrats on the purchase! I was under the impression that with the new style skins, a monopod can't be mounted and didn't see it mounted in your pictures. Is there a way to mount one now?

Accushot make the BT39 IIRC and you have to slightly modify the skins to make it fit, I just haven't had a chance to do that yet, hopefully I can do it at the weekend. I will post some pics up when it is done.

Nice setup. Where are you shooting ? Is that the MAE suppressor ?

It is a private piece of land in Paddock Wood, Kent. Yes it is the MAE AW 7.62.

Love it. Can't wait to get mine.
It's in the UK at sporting services right now, just waiting on export documents!

what a beautiful rifle and set up. i cannot imagine the red tape you had to go through to get one in england.......not to mention the cost.

Extremely cool! I'm currently waiting on the exact same stick only in .260 Enjoy your new equipment. You have made fine choices all around.