• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to bolt action rifles and looking to get a AI AT, should I go with 308WIN or 6.5Creed Moore?

Would a LaRue SPR1.5 LT104 QD mount fit the scope onto the AI I bought? I know my NF is 30mm, but I’m not sure the height of the larue mount is enough for AI AT. This is the mount I currently use on an AR15 I have the that competition NF scope mounted to currently.

Also, would this be a good muzzle brake for the 6.5 creedmoor AT?

No idea, I’m stacked deep so I didn’t even check. But there were cases sitting in the showroom three hours ago.
$24.95, but it shows "out of stock" on their website. Ammo moves fast these days, even at inflated prices. :(

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Would a LaRue SPR1.5 LT104 QD mount fit the scope onto the AI I bought? I know my NF is 30mm, but I’m not sure the height of the larue mount is enough for AI AT. This is the mount I currently use on an AR15 I have the that competition NF scope mounted to currently.
It had already been said, but there are better options for mounting your scope. Stick with Seekins, ARC, Spuhr, etc.

That's fine. APA is also another option. I use APA because of the carbon lock the Hellfire gave me.

How much research did you spend before buying everything? Did you shoot any other guns beforehand?

And why did you choose that particular NF scope? MOA vs MRAD?

Just trying to understand the thought process.

It had already been said, but there are better options for mounting your scope. Stick with Seekins, ARC, Spuhr, etc.

That's fine. APA is also another option. I use APA because of the carbon lock the Hellfire gave me.

How much research did you spend before buying everything? Did you shoot any other guns beforehand?

And why did you choose that particular NF scope? MOA vs MRAD?

Just trying to understand the thought process.
cause he doesnt have a clue what he's doing

f class scope on an AI makes a lot of sense

also, OP, if youre gonna buy a Hellfire at least buy it direct from Area 419

• Haha
Reactions: NiteQwill
cause he doesnt have a clue what he's doing

f class scope on an AI makes a lot of sense

also, OP, if youre gonna buy a Hellfire at least buy it direct from Area 419

what part of being new to bolt action rifles and shooting long range in general do you not understand? The not having a clue part is why I’m here. If you don’t want to provide help, simply don’t waste your time posting replies.

Reactions: KYGun
what part of being new to bolt action rifles and shooting long range in general do you not understand? The not having a clue part is why I’m here. If you don’t want to provide help, simply don’t waste your time posting replies.
let me know if you need some 6.5 Creed Moore rounds

might wanna try here. https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us

if not...your local radio shack might have some

A lot of experienced shooters here are giving you advice. We are just trying to understand why you would make certain choices. Your selection for a first rifle is GTG.

Your glass and rings... that's another story. But your money is your money. You can take all the opinions here with a grain of salt (which they are). But many of us are telling you there are BETTER options.

Good luck.

and having "Sniper" in your username may rub people the wrong way... but ignore that.

Last edited:
you should have had a much longer conversation with Eurooptic (who is a site sponsor) when buying the rifle.

Dude already has the scope. Why GAF if he uses it over something more tactical? I wouldn't have changed a thing with what he is doing.

The scope he has will work for the range. Blow your load on the best rifle you can. When you get a chance upgrade your scope.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd figure out the budget first and work backwards before buying an AI. If you have a money tree, then sure... go for the best right out of the gate. Otherwise I'd make sure to factor in:

1. Reloading equipment and consumables (at least a grand right now with prices being what they are. Probably more.)
2. Optics (A couple grand here)
3. Mags, bipod, scope caps etc. (another $500 or so)
4. Kestrel, spotting scope/bino's, a chronograph etc. (another grand, maybe two)
5. A rifle case. If someone's new to bolt guns they probably don't have a spare lying around that's big enough (another few hundred)
7. A mount or rings ($200+)

Dropping $10k+ right out of the gate is a tough pill to swallow. We don't know where the guy lives, what ranges are around him, how often he'll be able to shoot or whether or not he's even going to enjoy it if he's "just getting into bolt guns." If he sticks with it, yeah, a good argument can be made for the AI in the long run. Otherwise you guys are fishing for deals on the exchange down the road.

I'd do a bighorn origin with a criterion prefit, a bravo, a used optic, etc. Cut the budget in half and still have something you can sell for almost what you paid for it. Hell, maybe more with the way things are going. Accuracy will be about the same without the second mortgage.

I have friends and family that bought guns they can't afford to shoot. Don't be that guy. YMMV.

You're going to get hundereds of different opinions on what to get. You've made a solid choice on the rifle. AI is a outstanding rifle. I would look at Sphur, ARC, Seekins or Nightforce rings. Scopes are another area where people have alot of different opinions. Best option is if you can get somewhere to look at and through scopes and see what best suits you and the price point you want to be.

Reactions: Sniper8
Maybe it's just me, but I'd figure out the budget first and work backwards before buying an AI. If you have a money tree, then sure... go for the best right out of the gate. Otherwise I'd make sure to factor in:

1. Reloading equipment and consumables (at least a grand right now with prices being what they are. Probably more.)
2. Optics (A couple grand here)
3. Mags, bipod, scope caps etc. (another $500 or so)
4. Kestrel, spotting scope/bino's, a chronograph etc. (another grand, maybe two)
5. A rifle case. If someone's new to bolt guns they probably don't have a spare lying around that's big enough (another few hundred)
7. A mount or rings ($200+)

Dropping $10k+ right out of the gate is a tough pill to swallow. We don't know where the guy lives, what ranges are around him, how often he'll be able to shoot or whether or not he's even going to enjoy it if he's "just getting into bolt guns." If he sticks with it, yeah, a good argument can be made for the AI in the long run. Otherwise you guys are fishing for deals on the exchange down the road.

I'd do a bighorn origin with a criterion prefit, a bravo, a used optic, etc. Cut the budget in half and still have something you can sell for almost what you paid for it. Hell, maybe more with the way things are going. Accuracy will be about the same without the second mortgage.

I have friends and family that bought guns they can't afford to shoot. Don't be that guy. YMMV.

Thanks. I have the disposable income to splurge on this, so the financial part isn't a problem. I had a taste for sorta long range shooting (only up to 200 yards), I was using a KAC SR-15 for that, and obviously that's not the right caliber nor nearly as effective as a top end bolt action rifle like the AI. So I am interested and I'd love to learn more.

You should try growing out of that middle school attitude before posting again.
is 6.5 creed or 308 more accurate? assuming highly skilled shooter
does a threaded barrel effect accuracy?
getting an AI cause accuracy is in the name

200 yards isnt long range. even with a 22LR

Wow -- I am amazed at the vitriol in some of the comments here.

I consistently see those on SH advising people to "buy once cry once" -- That is exactly what he is doing in buying the AI.

Also, he ALREADY OWNS THE SCOPE -- What could possibly be wrong with him using a good quality scope that he already owns? At least for the time being.

He will figure everything else out as he goes along, but there is no better rifle to do it with -- At least in my opinion.

Man Oh Man !!!

@Sniper8 ,

Just remember that @b6graham is being an asshole.

You bought an excellent rifle and the scope you have will work. When you get the chance and have some more experience under your belt, you will probably want to snag a lower power scope with mil adjustments. something like a 5-25 or anything in that range will serve you well. What you have now will work just fine though.

People here will help you but there is always the occasional asshole ( @b6graham )

I don't think @b6graham was being an asshole, s/he is just telling the truth. But then again, I don't read assholes too much since I'm surrounded by them all the time and being an asshole to someone in my field means you care (military). I love all my assholes I'm with. lol

I sold a few rem700s to fund an AIAT, and I wish I had done it sooner. I wouldn't really be concerned with barrel life quite yet, just get some time behind the rifle.

Reactions: Sniper8
Thanks. I have the disposable income to splurge on this, so the financial part isn't a problem. I had a taste for sorta long range shooting (only up to 200 yards), I was using a KAC SR-15 for that, and obviously that's not the right caliber nor nearly as effective as a top end bolt action rifle like the AI. So I am interested and I'd love to learn more.

The KAC should be more than adequate for 200 yards. Outside of 500 is where I'd start looking for another platform.

If you've got the dough, an AI is the bees knees. Just make sure you take it well beyond that 200 yards. That's like driving a lemans prototype through midtown Manhattan during rush hour or keeping a greyhound in a a studio apartment. If you want to wring out the performance of the AI, I also wouldn't overlook reloading equipment. It'll save you some coin in the long run too.

Where are you located? You might be able to meet up with someone on here and shoot their rifles before you drop a ton of cash. Maybe get a feel for what you like and what you don't. I don't have an AI, but I have a bighorn in an AI chassis, so the feel of the rifle would be similar. I'm around Charlotte though. You might want to try the local/new guy section of the forum.

Reactions: Rory_Fritz
The KAC should be more than adequate for 200 yards. Outside of 500 is where I'd start looking for another platform.

If you've got the dough, an AI is the bees knees. Just make sure you take it well beyond that 200 yards. That's like driving a lemans prototype through midtown Manhattan during rush hour or keeping a greyhound in a a studio apartment. If you want to wring out the performance of the AI, I also wouldn't overlook reloading equipment. It'll save you some coin in the long run too.

Where are you located? You might be able to meet up with someone on here and shoot their rifles before you drop a ton of cash. Maybe get a feel for what you like and what you don't. I don't have an AI, but I have a bighorn in an AI chassis, so the feel of the rifle would be similar. I'm around Charlotte though. You might want to try the local/new guy section of the forum.

Hey thanks. I actually already purchased the AI AT in 6.5 creedmoor. I'll be picking it up from the FFL dealer next week. As for ammo, I know there is a shortage, but it appears there's always some for sale on gunbroker, even if the price is high, I don't mind it.

Hey thanks. I actually already purchased the AI AT in 6.5 creedmoor. I'll be picking it up from the FFL dealer next week. As for ammo, I know there is a shortage, but it appears there's always some for sale on gunbroker, even if the price is high, I don't mind it.
If you have unlimited funds, you should consider taking up reloading.

So assuming that is done and dusted, a couple quick notes:

Get a decent bipod (NOT a harris) and a decent set of front and rear bags.

You can take off the rear stock from your AI AT and replace it with the AX rear end
IF at a later date you decide the features on that are worth the $1k cost. Most find they don't need it.

Get a decent scope mount (NOT vertically split) as that makes a big difference.

If you can't find your 6.5CM ammo but can find .308, then just get a .308 barrel and you are set to go ($500 to $800 depending on barrel).

Become a site supporter at either of the levels that give you online training access and then dedicate the time to watch all of Frank's training videos and the associated discussion threads.

Would you be getting a suppressor? You might consider a brake that can accept one.

I've been in the market myself and found that some models come with a brake.

So assuming that is done and dusted, a couple quick notes:

Get a decent bipod (NOT a harris) and a decent set of front and rear bags.

You can take off the rear stock from your AI AT and replace it with the AX rear end
IF at a later date you decide the features on that are worth the $1k cost. Most find they don't need it.

Get a decent scope mount (NOT vertically split) as that makes a big difference.

If you can't find your 6.5CM ammo but can find .308, then just get a .308 barrel and you are set to go ($500 to $800 depending on barrel).

Become a site supporter at either of the levels that give you online training access and then dedicate the time to watch all of Frank's training videos and the associated discussion threads.

hey, the night force A108 rings wouldn’t be considered vertically split and would be a fine choice?

I actually started F class with my AI AT last year. Got me to expert.
I've shot ftr with an ai mk3 too. Doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

Nor is a 15-55 sfp with a shit reticle the right scope for a tactical/practical rifle. Its much more specialized than an AI is

When I install the area 419 hellfire muzzle brake, do I need to apply any thread grease, blue loctite.. etc?

Last edited:
I would HIGHLY recommend having a competent gunsmith or armorer install it for you. You need the proper tools and setup. They’re not difficult to do by any means, and they don’t need a shim set because they’re self timing, but you don’t want to screw something up on the rifle on day 1.

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
ohoh those are fighting words for @Huskydriver

What in the billy bob fuddery of a thread did you tag me in.....

OP

download.jpeg

I would HIGHLY recommend having a competent gunsmith or armorer install it for you. You need the proper tools and setup. They’re not difficult to do by any means, and they don’t need a shim set because they’re self timing, but you don’t want to screw something up on the rifle on day 1.

I found this video on youtube, doesn't seem to need anything besides a 5/8 wrench. You're talking about the area 419 hellfire?

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Clean the threads, screw on the adapter, apply about 25 lbs of torque (hand tight with wrench), then screw on the break.

That's it, simple. You can do it!

Area 419 suggest thread locker, I never add that.

When I install the area 419 hellfire muzzle brake, do I need to apply any thread grease, blue loctite.. etc?

Good on ya mate. Go for it! wish I did it. I have all these customs and think weekly should I sell a few and buy an AI.

Dude. If a shooter can’t install an A419 Hellfire themselves, they shouldn’t be pulling a trigger. It takes 30 seconds, one wrench, and the only way to mess it up is to somehow crossthread. If you can screw in a lightbulb, you can install a hellfire.

OP, they are great brakes. I also recommend purchasing direct from the manufacturer when it comes to most things, unless they are carried by commercial supporters of this site. One thing you might want to consider is to get the 308 brake so you can use it with a 65 and 308 barrel down the line. Then all you’ll need is another adapter and not the entire brake system. If money isn’t a factor, then buy caliber specific for each barrel and you’ll be just as happy.

Don’t let the idiots here discourage you. You did right with the rifle. Nothing wrong with your scope for the time being unless you have a specific purpose. It will still work, obviously, but might not make you as efficient and effective in that particular task. Don’t skimp on rings, buy a torque set (fix it sticks are great), and research where you’d like to take a training course. After a solid training course, you’ll see what works and doesn’t work with your setup and you’ll be able to make an informed decision for what to do next. Go to the training section on here and you’ll see what courses are available in 2021.

Best of luck to you. 🍻

Dude. If a shooter can’t install an A419 Hellfire themselves, they shouldn’t be pulling a trigger. It takes 30 seconds, one wrench, and the only way to mess it up is to somehow crossthread. If you can screw in a lightbulb, you can install a hellfire.

Dude. How much of this thread have you read?

OP, they are great brakes. I also recommend purchasing direct from the manufacturer when it comes to most things, unless they are carried by commercial supporters of this site. One thing you might want to consider is to get the 308 brake so you can use it with a 65 and 308 barrel down the line. Then all you’ll need is another adapter and not the entire brake system. If money isn’t a factor, then buy caliber specific for each barrel and you’ll be just as happy.

Don’t let the idiots here discourage you. You did right with the rifle. Nothing wrong with your scope for the time being unless you have a specific purpose. It will still work, obviously, but might not make you as efficient and effective in that particular task. Don’t skimp on rings, buy a torque set (fix it sticks are great), and research where you’d like to take a training course. After a solid training course, you’ll see what works and doesn’t work with your setup and you’ll be able to make an informed decision for what to do next. Go to the training section on here and you’ll see what courses are available in 2021.

Best of luck to you. 🍻

I have the nightforce horizontally split scope rings. I got the fix it sticks from amazon. It’ll be here tomorrow. I only had a torque wrench from back when I built lots of ARs, never had a torque screwdriver. Thanks for the recommendation

Reactions: M8541Reaper