• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

NEW to Reloading, Rookie Question/Idea

HOGTOOTH5R

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
DFW, TEXAS
Hi Guys,

With the Ammo Drying up and price sky rocketing I've finally took the plunge to start reloading myself.

I just purchased the Hornady Starter Kit from Midway USA, This one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997/hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press-kit

Which also will come with 500 Bullets after I do the rebate part.

Now for the question:

I want to go ahead and start with .223/.556 first and try to get some practice and learn from it.

However even the components is hard to find these days.

I just recent came across some real good deal on 750 rds of Tracer .556 Ammos (I know I know) but at this point I'd take whatever I can get.

Now at first I just wanted to shoot it off and keep the Brass to reload, but now I was thinking is it feasible to just pull the Tracer Bullet and load it with HP or FMJ .556 bullets instead? I have about 1,000 rnds of the 55 Gr Bullets coming in. Still can't find powders or primers anywhere near me.

So this is like a last resort thing. I would like some kindly input and advice from you guys on this. Is it possible? How do I go about doing this as in what tool I'll need and what I need to watch out for?

I appreciate all your kind inputs and advices in advance.

Please be gentle as it is just a Rookie Thought.

Thanks!

Sincerely

HOG.

Re: NEW to Reloading, Rookie Question/Idea

yes you can, but i would just trade some one 2/3 of the tracer ammo for loaded FMJ ammo - i'm sure lots of guys would want some tracer

Really? I was made fun of by some guys for buying them. They were joking about them being fireworks and fire starters etc. I've never shot tracers before. How do they shoot/perform differently from Regular Rounds?

Any disadvantages or additional barrel ware??? Thanks for the input guys!

Sincerely

HOG.

Well, just found a Fellow Member on the Hide that sold me some 55gr FMJ Bullets (2,000) and 1,000 of .223 Brass.

Can anybody point me to a source for some Primers and Powder? I'd like to get some .308 Stuff as well if anyone knows where to get some.

I know this is a long shot but the Hide is the only good starting point I know. Hopefully some of you guys has better resource and connections than I do these days...

sigh...

Thanks everyone for responding!

HOG.

tracers are great at night and stuff that runs (see how far to lead them) & yes they like to start fires during the dry season