• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF NXS vs Mk5

NXS 2.5-10x42 or Mk5 3.6-18

• NXS

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Mk5

Votes: 33 71.7%

• Total voters

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I am putting together a 16" 5.56 SPR type rifle. I am debating between the NXS 2.5-10x42 with Mil-R reticle or the Mk5 3.6-18 with the CCH reticle. Either scope will have an offset RMR in a Badger COMM mount. I'd like to eventually use this in conjunction with a NV clip-on device.

My thoughts:

NXS- I like the SFP reticle for having a full-sized reticle on lower power ranges, only 20oz in weight and illumination.

Mk5- 80% increase in magnification for only additional 6oz of weight, locking elevation turret, optimized at 12-16x for clip-on NVD (illum model not worth extra price)

This will be used for DMR matches and coyote hunting.

I am putting together a 16" 5.56 SPR type rifle. I am debating between the NXS 2.5-10x42 with Mil-R reticle or the Mk5 3.6-18 with the CCH reticle. Either scope will have an offset RMR in a Badger COMM mount. I'd like to eventually use this in conjunction with a NV clip-on device.

My thoughts:

NXS- I like the SFP reticle for having a full-sized reticle on lower power ranges, only 20oz in weight and illumination.

Mk5- 80% increase in magnification for only additional 6oz of weight, locking elevation turret, optimized at 12-16x for clip-on NVD (illum model not worth extra price)

This will be used for DMR matches and coyote hunting.
For visual reference, here’s the 2.5-10x42 on my Mk12 mod 1:
704D0B5C-CFF4-49BC-AB87-6A3FAD20FF35.jpegCCF64FFA-D43B-4CB5-95EC-7C478711F379.jpeg

i had a Mk6 3-18x44 w/T2 on this same rifle and it was noticeably heavier and frankly beyond 10x the sight picture was markedly darker. It’s my understanding the Mk5 isn’t as bad in that respect. There’s no darkening at 10x with the NF.

I hold over both elevation and wind using both scopes (nxs has the Mil-R).

Mil-R: all targets are 2/3 ipsc except the most distannt which is 18x30 and between 300-600m
50192691-40EE-44A9-A7EE-027B15F45246.jpeg

Reactions: Bakwa
For visual reference, here’s the 2.5-10x42 on my Mk12 mod 1:
View attachment 7726836View attachment 7726837

i had a Mk6 3-18x44 w/T2 on this same rifle and it was noticeably heavier and frankly beyond 10x the sight picture was markedly darker. It’s my understanding the Mk5 isn’t as bad in that respect. There’s no darkening at 10x with the NF.

I hold over both elevation and wind using both scopes (nxs has the Mil-R).

Mil-R: all targets are 2/3 ipsc except the most distannt which is 18x30 and between 300-600m
View attachment 7726841
That’s impressive. Looks like a good FOV too.

Reactions: nn8734
First I’ve heard of this. Any additional information?
No, just the usual Nightforce fan boy crap.

I have the illuminated model with the TMR recticle which I highly recommend you buy if you are going to use this optic when you run the optic on lower power or at dusk and dawn. I think the illumination is well worth the money because it automatically shuts down when not in use after 5 minutes and turns back on when it senses movement. 10x is meh.....at best. I wouldn't expect an optic to get dark on 10x with only that much magnification adjustment or wouldn't own it. Best pics I could get in the house.

Attachments

• 20211023_200102.jpg
    20211023_200102.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 120
  • 20211023_200118.jpg
    20211023_200118.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Older Leupold mark 4s and VX3s had some tracking issues, i had one such scope. Sent it to Leupold. got it back two weeks later, tracked fine. They also warrantied my mk4 spotter (replaced dented occular housing). Three weeks tat.

Any scope can have issues but IMO durability isn’t a concern with either the mk5 or Nightforce.

Last edited:
Nothing official, but there are lots of cases of people easily damaging Leupold. My experience with them was from when I worked at the gun store almost 20 years ago. And we sent back more Leupolds than anything else. Excellent customer service, never had any issue there. But the scopes were pretty fragile. We had several crack internal lenses before being torqued to recommended spec, in lapped Leupold rings. If it was a one time thing, I'd have called it a fluke. But it happened 2 or 3 times. A couple drops on the counter with busted wire reticles. A couple drops on the carpeted floor...Same.

Once again, I can't prove any of it, because this was all personal experiences 20 years ago, but it was what it was.

Hell, I've owned quite a few Leupolds myself, and never had any issues with my personal ones, but I also try to treat my guns pretty well and not beat them around.

I respect the experiences you've had and I'm not saying they didn't occur, however they were from 20 years ago and in the context of this thread I don't believe they carry much weight. There's a vast difference between Leupold's options 20 years ago and what they have available today in almost every sense, especially on the long range/tactical side of things.

Reactions: SepticDeath
The MkV is by design a more modern as well as std military issue scope.so its been through at least some modern/recent testing and evaluation. I think even people who are skeptical of Leupold in general from historical experience still generally feel the Mk V is a decent optic evaluated on its own merits.

My $0.02 cents on the OP topic...The "glass" issue between NF and MkV almost isn't relevant since this is a decision based on features and weight...Once you see both in person, the 10xNF an the 18x Leupy are really different class of optics. So make a decision if you need 12-18x for PID/spotting or want the NF on 2.5-6x with SFP reticle for wide open work. NF with a much lower profile and center of gravity, etc.

Good luck either way.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I’m going to roll with the Mk5. With either optic, I was planning on using an offset RMR anyway, so the priority of needing a full sized reticle on low magnification is almost moot. I also think the Mk5 will perform better behind a clip on NVD vs the NF.

Reactions: iceng and ma smith
Over the last 15years I've seen a few and heard of a few more Leupolds loosing zero from hard use, while under the same circumstances the NF scopes were maintaining zero and rocking and rolling. Granted, under the same circumstances I've also heard of two S&B scopes failing too... So we're talking border line abuse here.

This admittedly was from .gov use. The Marines and ODA guys I'm thinking about basically just weren't successful in breaking the NF's.

Non of those Leupolds were the MK5 though [to my knowledge], so there's that.

I had a car (Holden) years ago which you had to hit the starter motor with a steel rod, on cold mornings else it wouldn't start.

Therefore, by deduction, all Holden's are shit boxes which don't start in winter.

Technology changes. Dont compare an old scope to a new one. Compare a new one to a new one.

Get a mk5

Reactions: SepticDeath
Every time I hear this come up I stuck wandering when the F is NF going to re released the 2.5-10x42 or 32 in FFP with new reticle. You hear me NF!!!!!!

Reactions: Bakwa
I like the Mark 5, I looked at one and Glass is great and turrets feel really good.
the nxs turrets feel good, it’s nice how close you can be to a target and still focus, the reticle isn’t to thick at high magnification and though it’s not a practical test while holding in hand it seem surprisingly clear at high magnification.

Another vote for the leupold. It is a little bit annoying to find a 35mm mount, but the scope is fine

1635735223847.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aslrookie