• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NF: Velocity vs. NP-1 Reticles

Doc1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have decided to purchase a NF for my LWRC A2 (flat top - 16" ...). I do distance (70%) and CQB (30%) with this particular AR. I am going with a 2.5x10x24 (or 32) with zero stop, but am having a difficult time deciding upon the best reticle .... I have a J-Point, which is great for CQB (it works great going from short to long distance shots, but going back to it after long distance shots really slows me down ..., so it may be better to stay with one optic ...). So, I can lean toward the Velocity - but the Velocity reticles are rather new and untested and I'm not sure the markings on the reticle will match the ammo and thus wonder it the NP-1 would offer a little more versatility ....and be much better for CQB (the most prevalent aiming point on the Velocity is set for 200 yards ...I think in a rush one's eye will be drawn here ... ) or am I just over-thinking the whole reticle thing?

Re: NF: Velocity vs. NP-1 Reticles

I am very happy with the velocity ballistic reticle in my NF 2.5-10x24 on my AR shorty.At first I was only off a half moa at 600Y's or 3"s.I dropped 30fps,".2" grains of powder then sighted in 8 yards closer than what their ballistic calculator stated and achieved a perfect match up to the reticle subtensions 200Y-300Y-400Y-500Y out to 600Y.The other thing I like is they put 5 and 10 mph wind holds on the reticle which works very well.

Once you have it tuned for where you live,it's a no think reticle.Range and fire.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That is helpful information. However, I should have added that I do not "roll my own," but purchase it off the shelf. So, do you know of any ammo - shelf ammo - that matches up fairly well, or ...

i personally dont like custom reticles unless they really are "custom" I like reticles that are universal, get BDC knobs, not bdc reticle.

Steve thanks again. After some other e-mails back and forth I decided to go with the 2.5x10x24 Zero Stop MOA/MOA and the NF Unimount. Alex should have it here in a few days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure the markings on the reticle will match the ammo and thus wonder it the NP-1 would offer a little more versatility</div></div>Why would anyone purchase a reticle that only works properly with one load?