• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon FX-1000

Havnt got a chance to shoot with the Nikon yet, but had to take a couple others off rifles to get a photo opp.

Initial impressions are decent. Knobs are the easiest to turn of the bunch. Only 19 mils ele (18 advertised) 30mm tube. sunshade. mild CA. rect is basic but very usable. long scope for sure.

scopes.PNG

Regards,
DT

Reactions: Bender
Quick question for those that have mounted and zeroed their scopes.

How much elevation adjustment are you left with after zeroeing?

Please state which model you own and if you used a 0 MOA or 20 MOA mount. I am particularly interested in the FX 1000 4-16x50 version but others may also want to get numbers for the FX 1000 6-24x50 as well.

Reactions: abn31c
Quick question for those that have mounted and zeroed their scopes.

How much elevation adjustment are you left with after zeroeing?

Please state which model you own and if you used a 0 MOA or 20 MOA mount. I am particularly interested in the FX 1000 4-16x50 version but others may also want to get numbers for the FX 1000 6-24x50 as well.

I picked up a 4-16x but haven't mounted it yet. I was just going through the elevation range and counted about 30 mils of total adjustment. How much you will end up having depends on how you mount it.

I picked up a 4-16x but haven't mounted it yet. I was just going through the elevation range and counted about 30 mils of total adjustment. How much you will end up having depends on how you mount it.

Understood! Precisely why I asked to state what elevation mount was used. :cool:

Reactions: Bulldog10
I have two old Nikon Tactical scopes 4-16x50. I used to say that Nikon was the Rodney Dangerfield of scopes (They got no respect). I have always loved mine. Worked great and never had a problem with them. I am very glad Nikon is back in the tactical game. I have Premiers, Bushnell, Zeiss, Hensoldt, Super Sniper, Schmidt & Bender, Nikon etc. I will be purchasing one of the new series Nikons soon.

Reactions: bman940 and Bender
Just got a 4-16x50 FX1000 (non iluminated) delivered by UPS and have the following very quick impressions... all I've done is take it out of the box and look through it at various objects, distances, and zoom ranges:
  1. Scope is long. Shouldn't have been a surprise as dimension is clearly stated but just my initial reaction when firs taking it out of the box.
  2. Turrets marks align very well and clicks are very positive in both elevation and windage turrets.
  3. Total of 30 mil of elevation adjustment available. This exceeds the advertised 25 mil.
  4. Noticed some image degradation at higher mags evidenced by slight, but noticeable, darkening and loss of sharpness. Need to look closer but thought I saw some very minor CA as well at higher mags. Heck, my eyes are not what they used to be and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to accurately evaluate a scope when not mounted on a rifle or evaluation stand. Interested if others experience similar perceptions.
  5. Price point was very attractive ($550 delivered).
  6. Surprised with sensory feel of turret caps and zoom ring. These felt as if they were some kind of hard plastic or nylon material. Totally functional but definitively did not feel like they were machined aluminum to the touch!
  7. Scope tube finish/coating also feels somewhat rubberized/clad to touch. These last two points may be due to final finish applied by Nikon.
Very quick first impressions only... will be evaluating in more detail over next few days.

Does anyone know for certain if the turret caps and zoom rings are actually metallic?

Definitely aluminum magnification ring and turrets. I am not sure if there is something on the tube or not but what you describe should help with secure scope mounting.

1. I did not notice any rubber feeling on the scope I had, it was a fx 6x24. I just today got a return shipping label from optics planet(not there fault) my procrastinating nature. As I told them they shouldn't have to absorb a factory defective unit, which they did and was more than helpful in my return process. I still say shit on Nikon for not owning up to The problem and replacing a factory defective unit that was unused and defective, instructing me to return it to the company I bought it from. Bullshit!!!.. I am getting a replacement unit which is perfectly fine with me. I will wait until I have a fx 6x24 Mounted and shooting on my 300RUM to compare it to my vortex viper pst gen2 5x25 which is mounted on a 338LM which both utilize Burris XTR signature rings.

If anyone questions the ability of this scope I just shot a PRS match last weekend (Rock Lake Rifle Range) after almost two years off from shooting. Took 7th over all out of 89 and scope tracked perfectly, confirmed by going 3/3 at 1,175. Top ten fishing after almost two years of not competing with and $800 scope :)
IMG_1068.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone questions the ability of this scope I just shot a PRS match last weekend (Rock Lake Rifle Range) after almost two years off from shooting. Took 7th over all out of 89 and scope tracked perfectly, confirmed by going 3/3 at 1,175. Top ten fishing after almost two years of not competing with and $800 scope :)
Bad ass.....

Who did you speak to that told you to return it to the company you bought it from???
If your replying to me ,Vincent and his superior which I'm not sure of the name off the top of my head, but if you look back on this thread I believe I named them , within the last month

I've really been eye balling the Nikons since the release of the X1000. Now that they have it available in the FFP, I'm really having a hard time not picking one up. I own a Gen 2 Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP scope, and really really like it. I'm really torn between spending $799 for an FX1000 vs $1099 for the PST for a new rifle project I have. I really don't need the illuminated reticle of the PST, as I have never needed it. Does anyone by chance own both the new Nikon 6-24x50 FX1000, and also a Gen 2 PST, that could maybe do a couple of picture comparisons for me? I'd really like to see both side by side, and maybe a picture through the glass of each. I'd really appreciate it.

Here's a pic of the rifle it will be going on. Plus here is a pic of the Gen 2 PST on my 7 saum.

Attachments

• Resized_20180408_122803.jpeg
    Resized_20180408_122803.jpeg
    965.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Resized_20171219_182155.jpeg
    Resized_20171219_182155.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • Resized_20171222_162909 (002).jpeg
    Resized_20171222_162909 (002).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 128
Reactions: bman940
PowellSix0, I would have absolutely no faith or place any value on the picture through the glass idea with regards to reaching a decision on either optic. You will not get an objective answer regarding the quality of either scope by performing this comparison.

How many times have through the glass pictures been posted here with the disclaimer that they are not an accurate representation of image quality?

Just my personal opinion... I strongly believe you won’t ever have a definitive answer until you personally look through both scopes.

PowellSix0, I would have absolutely no faith or place any value on the picture through the glass idea with regards to reaching a decision on either optic. You will not get an objective answer regarding the quality of either scope by performing this comparison.

How many times have through the glass pictures been posted here with the disclaimer that they are not an accurate representation of image quality?

Just my personal opinion... I strongly believe you won’t ever have a definitive answer until you personally look through both scopes.
You are probably right. I just live in bfe, and don't know when I'll make it to a sportsmans or other place that sells optics. The guy I usually use gives me a healthy discount on Vortex items, and just ships them to my house. I'll have to try and get my hands on both at the same time some how. The nikon looks like a good scope, and If it's on par with the gen 2 pst, I'd be willing to give it a try. I'll let you guys know if I somehow happen to make a trip to an optics store.

Alright I will have a conversation with them. Sorry for the hassle, I will correct it.

Thank you,
I want to add they were willing to send me a shipping label for it to be repaired, I did not want a brand new unused scope REPAIRED, I wanted a new replacement, that's when they told me to send it back to optics planet, if my previous post was misleading I apologize.

I want to add they were willing to send me a shipping label for it to be repaired, I did not want a brand new unused scope REPAIRED, I wanted a new replacement, that's when they told me to send it back to optics planet, if my previous post was misleading I apologize.
Just curious - what if your car broke down with a few hundred miles on it? Would you expect it to be replaced or would you let the OEM certified repair facility do their job and fix the scope back to original specification? This just seems very odd to me.

i picked up a 4-16 off the prize table at big dog prs match this weekend. looking forward to running it on my trainer. i will do a track test video for you guys all killswitch old school style for those that want it.
I was hoping you would do a “budget” comparison like your tracking test with the high dollar scopes. Like the SWFA 3-15 and 5-20, the Nikon Black and Weaver 3-15, 5-30, primary arms... and so on.... I would be willing to send in a Weaver just out of pure curiosity...

Reactions: alaskalanche
Tweakedout12v said:
Blah blah my cut-rate Tasco doesn't deliver on everthing the late-night infomercial promised, It's not meeting my arbitrary 'standard' and I will settle for nothing less than a refund, public apology and a reach-around for the inconvenience, or I'll whine like a teenager ALL OVER the internet! I'm the customer and I'm right!

Jesus christ, shut the fuck up. What are you 15? Sell the scope, buy what you want and move the fuck on already. It's been a month of you bitching semantics of the word "used" already. Stop spamming the entire english-speaking planet with your petty ranting. It's too bad you didn't buy the MRAD version or I'd buy it off you just so I wouldn't have to hear any more about your unrealistic expectations of a "budget" product.

Save your pennies and go buy a Tangent Theta or whatever will unequivocally meet your demands; you've made it painfully clear Nikon is not for you.

Blackedout - the point is that we are having a difficult time understanding why a company's full warranty backing and offer to repair a scope to original specification (a company that's been designing and manufacturing optical devices since long before you were born no less) was inadequate. But regardless, you got your replacement from OP and it's time to drop it and let this thread get back on topic so we can discuss the merits of the scope.

I don't care how much you spend, sometimes they come out of the box not working. You send them in and they fix it for you{repair or replace at their discretion, not ours.} Just like every other scope company I have ever dealt with. And that is pretty much all the big names minus S&B. Barring jammed up ERS zero stops, I haven't seen too many failures that weren't "out of the box."

I am not sure if everyone here is like this, or just me. But when I see someone totally douching it up. I make note. I don't answer questions for them and I dot sell them things in the PX. Its better for community and the person if they keep their douchebaggery private. PM, e mail, phone call. Not a bunch of half true posts on the forum.

I just got in my fx1000 4-16, the turrets (both if them) seem to have a double click sometimes. The elevation is has a double click every other .1 mil. The wind is not as bad, but it still does it.

I'm going to call nikon in the morning to see if they will repair.

Other than that, the glass is really nice for the price and I'm a big fan of the reticle. No tunneling, fairly forgiving eyebox.

Reactions: Blackedout12v
Here is my unscientific two cents. While some may consider these a low or mid tier scope any scope purchase like this is a "big" purchase for me so I have to spend a lot of time comparing and determining best value for the buck. I was able to compare the FX1000 and a Vipers PST gen 2 side by side.

The Nikon FX1000 was the 4-16 mil and the Vortex Viper PST gen II was 3-15 Mrad. Unfortunately Sportsmans Warehouse does not carry the illuminated 4-16 so I couldn't compare illumination. The windage and elevation turrets of the Nikon were nice. Easy to read and I could easily feel the detents as turning and hear the clicks. They were by no means mushy. They reminded me of the feel of the Vortex Viper PST gen I turrets. The Vortex windage and elevation was "crisper" and louder. They were more distinct but I would have no issue using either turrets. Parralax, and power rings both had nice resistance and turned smoothly.

The glass comparison was done in store on a fake rifle with rubber mount that let you clip the scopes in. I set the Nikon at 4x and the Vortex 3-15 at 4x and compared them. The Nikon was brighter at 4x with nicer color than the Vortex but both were very clear. I set both at 15x (Nikon was 4-16). The Nikon was noticeably dimmer at 15 than the Vortex and had a more sensitive eyebox.

Overall at lower power I preferred the Nikon but at higher power the Vortex was the clear winner. Unfortunately Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't carry the illuminated version of the Nikon 4-16 so I ended up purchasing the Vortex 3-15. I find I have to have illumination on a FFP reticle so the lack of illumination on the Nikon prevented me from purchasing it. (They do offer an illuminated 4-16 but it wasn't in the store). If they had the Nikon illuminated 4-16 I would have walked out of there with it instead and used the $250 ($999 for Vortex 3-15 Mrad, $749 for Nikon illuminated 4-16)saved on ammo, rings, and all the other stuff required. The Vortex is a slightly better scope in my opinion, but not a $250 scope better. The Nikon gave up very little to the Vortex. Its biggest con was the dimness and sensitive eyebox at high power.

Hopefully, the unscientific comparison helps someone else debating the PST gen 2 vs Nikon FX1000

So let me clear up a few things with this scope. I'm the Sr. Manager for Nikon Sport Optics and the one behind this scope (and in that video). It was me that said I sat down with the engineers in Japan picking out clicks etc. There are many, many misconceptions with optics in this industry. I'm not going to point and fingers but many of the "well known" optics manufacturers do not design their own scopes. They design reticles, turret knurling, etc but the optical design, internals, erectors, etc all are designed by the third party manufacturers who build them.

This is NOT how Nikon does things, since we have a heard of optical engineers (we are Nikon), mechanical engineers, etc we design our scopes and the people who build them build to OUR specs, we don't peddle someone else's. This is a very, very large difference and not something you typically find until spending much, much more on optics.

These scopes are made in the Philippines but designed by our people in Japan (hence why I was there) and I really want to emphasize this difference. We have manufacturers who build to our specs, and we don't just pick their existing designs etc out of a catalog so to speak. This is definitely not the mot cost effective way of going about it but yields a much nicer product in the end. Also since we are a glass company, you will get a higher grade of glass for a much lower price. There are a few independent reviews coming out in the next few weeks and from what I've heard already the glass quality is better then that of the PST Gen 2 and the SHV both costing hundreds and hundreds more. I personally own an SHV and the FX glass is better but I keep my comments to myself as I work for Nikon.

I would also like to say that I took 12th overall my first year shooting the PRS and 5th overall my second year. My point is that I took every feature you would "need" to shoot a match and put it in this scope and did it at a price that couldn't be refused. Our margins are quite thin on this scope because I needed people to give us a chance in this world we've never been known in. This is definitely not the old Monarch Tactical as it's a whole new chassis and everything about it is different.

Just a few quick specs on the scope
4-16 or 6-24 illuminated and non MIL and MOA options
30mm tube
The best clicks I've felt under $2k
High Speed Turrets
True Zero Stop
Great reticles, line thickness, etc.
The travel on these scopes that's printed is also EXTREMELY conservative. The 6-24 I have is 20.1 mils and the 4-16 is 31 Mils.
Amazing glass for the price
Tracking has proven to be extremely consistent
Lifetime warranty
Pricing is:
4-16 non illuminated $649
6-24 non illuminated $749
6-24 Illuminated $799
Available in the next couple weeks

I would highly encourage anyone to give these a try and put it against everything else that's out there even costing much more and formulate your own opinions I do not think you will be disappointed.

View attachment 6903079
Did anyone get a chance to see this at SHOT? I just watched the 6.5 Guys video on it.

10mil zerostop turrets
FFP
Relatively lightweight
Mil and MOA reticles

$650-$800

I can't find any pictures of the reticle and I'm wondering if anyone had a chance to get behind it.

I dont have a photo of the reticle, but here is the scope on my AR-10 build. So far it has been a great scope. I'm not a competition shooter, I just like getting out and enjoying myself with friends and family.
IMG_8914.jpg

Reactions: patriot07 and Walt
Just got my 4-16 and it has the double clicks as well. Curious what there fix is ?

Just got my 4-16 and it has the double clicks as well. Curious what there fix is ?
If you took it out of the box defective ,then a new replacement should be a option to you if you choose, or send it in for repair, which I'm sure they will gladly. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue with these units. As far as a fix I would hope they would have been able to identify the problem if it's recurring and positively correct it. The guy on this forum that is head of the sport optics division of Nikon has said verbatim that the clicks on this scope are the best he has felt on any sub $2000 scope, and anyone buying this scope could/should have similar expectations of this optic.

If you took it out of the box defective ,then a new replacement should be a option to you if you choose, or send it in for repair, which I'm sure they will gladly. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue with these units. As far as a fix I would hope they would have been able to identify the problem if it's recurring and positively correct it. The guy on this forum that is head of the sport optics division of Nikon has said verbatim that the clicks on this scope are the best he has felt on any sub $2000 scope, and anyone buying this scope could/should have similar expectations of this optic.
Seems odd that only the MOA models are having the issues ? I sorta figured there would be something with it being at that price point, I couldn’t resist for my 22 trainer.

Working on getting WP taken care of with no expense at all from him. I'm sure he will keep you posted of the progress. As always, drop me a note with any question's/concern's or suggestion's you might have that are Nikon related. I do freelance work with Nikon, I do not work directly for them. I helpe3d out at SHOT Show again this year and get to get my hands on all the new product's heading your way. I do not do any sales at all. Happy to help.

So what is this magical method of getting a shipping label? I called them and explained my problem and I got directed to the website form, no label.

Reactions: NVScout
chyndman, I'd just call Nikon customer service and flat out ask them to send you a prepaid return label given that your scope is brand new and you expected to be right out of the box without the need to budget additional funds for sending it back to them for immediate repair.

Those with the double click elevation turret issue... have you communicated the problem to Nikon Customer Service... what did they say?

I have an unmounted FX-1000 4-16x50 non-iluminated mil/mil ( I guess it is not just MOA scopes) that is exhibiting this double click issue on the elevation turret. It seems to throw in what feels like an extra click (double click) approximately every 0.5 mil. Not sure whether to trust the clicks or the position of the dial. For example, If I close my eyes and count/feel 12 clicks up from zero, my turret indicates 1.0 mil instead of the expected 1.2 mil. Issue seems to be fairly consistent, as it occurs most of the time, but is not 100% repeatable!

The windage turret works fine. It's clicks are both distinct and precise.

Has anyone here already returned a scope to Nikon for this issue? What explanation/resolution was provided?

Reactions: NVScout
I bought the exact same model and have the same issue, just worse. My elevation does it every other .1mil. The wind probably does it every 4th.

When I communicated the problem to them they just said send it in. I wonder if one of their suppliers is sending out bad parts. If so hopefully they get it worked out.

:eek: chyndman, thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should take my earlier advice to you and call Nikon for a prepaid return label! :giggle:

Assuming by your reply you have not yet gotten it back or had any further communication from Nikon. I wonder what NVScout's experience has been... he had similar issues?

Haha the speed of the reply was just timing.

I haven't sent out my scope yet, just got the label today. I'll send it out tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted on anything I hear from them.

:eek: chyndman, thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should take my earlier advice to you and call Nikon for a prepaid return label! :giggle:

Assuming by your reply you have not yet gotten it back or had any further communication from Nikon. I wonder what NVScout's experience has been... he had similar issues?
I called and asked if they had a fix or if it was “normal”. I didn’t want to ship it to them just to have them ship it back as “no problem found” the call center is seperate from the repair center, I was more or less waiting for one of you to get yours back and report.

I think at this point everyone fully understands the issues reported. Let's hear something new and move away from the childish name-calling and trolling. That's the easy way, but we have other options.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I went to my local gun shop, they had 20whatever power MIL/MIL Vortex PST G2 and the FX-1000. I asked to compare them side-by-side. The FX1K is significantly lighter in hand, and had similar felt 'clicks,' and had similar overall length. Glass in-store at both low and max magnification were comparable to my eye trying to read signage 90yds across the store, both seemed crisp and bright at max power. The Nikon reticle seemed a bit basic compared to the busy HORUS style Vortex reticle, but it's well-marked and I'm sure it would work fine. The Nikon's eye-box seems a little tight at max magnification, but with a rifle with proper comb-height for consistent cheek-weld I don't think I would have noticed. At more practical magnifications (10-12x) I did not notice any eye-box issues. Magnification and parallax adjustments were comparable in feel/effort. FWIW the MRAD FX1K demo did not exhibit any double-click on either windage or elevation turrets. Neither had batteries installed, so I was unable to compare the illumination functions.

Glass might be different outdoors at low-light, at longer ranges or from a more stable position, I was limited to what was practical in the store.

I would really be interested in a tracking and tall-target test of the FX1K. If it passes those tests then I think it would be a solid contender for an entry-level do-all optic. It has all the must-have basic features under $1000.

In the LGS, the Vortex was $300 more than the Nikon. If I were in the mood to save $300 (which is a lot of ammo) and gamble on a new product, I don't think I would have any problem choosing the Nikon. That said, I would have opened the box and worked the elevation turret back and forth a few times through the range to verify no double-click before reaching for my wallet at the register. It will be interesting to hear more about people's experience with Nikon customer service (assuming they're not unreasonable prima donnas). If Nikon provides prompt, consistent no-BS CS with positive results, then my current reservations would be eschewed.

Last edited:
While I do not work directly for Nikon I am happy to help anyone out who is having an issue with a Nikon optic. Drop me a note and I'll do my best to make sure you end up satisfied. I have already spoken with a few of you and I hope all issues will be taken care of correctly. Please drop me a note with any question's.

Reactions: jafo96 and Bender
Well, my FX1000 was returned to SportOptics and they called me today to discuss it. I really wanted to like this scope and everything about it was great except for the elevation turret, which to me had a completely different feel than the windage turret.

Compared to the windage turret, the elevation turret was too quiet, less positive...and not crisp at all. I wouldn't call it mushy, just softer than the windage turret. The windage turret on the other hand was the stuff dreams are made of; extremely tactile, clean, crisp, clearly audible, and positive clicks. Oh how I wish the elevation turret felt the same way since the glass was much better than a Tango 4. SportOptics told me that this was how all of them are, so they are refunding me. I'm not sure that's really true, but I have no basis upon which to dispute that and I certainly didn't want to just accept the scope back.

Kudos to SportOptics however; they have been a pleasure to work with.

A friend just sent me this independent review. I hope it is helpful? One of the best parts is how he shows how well this scope tracks.