• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Nitride Vs Stainless Action

GunmanBlue

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2020
Victoria Australia
Hi Team,

How do you all feel about Nitride coated stainless actions & Bolt vs just straight out stainless.

Any pitfalls to avoid? How doest the treatment fare over time? Is it just a straight out waste of time?

I dont have an opinion either way im just curious and cant seem to find any up to date thread on it. Im especially keen to hear from shooters with quite a few rounds through the action.

Cheers!

I love my nitrided Nuke but it’s not stainless.
I have approximately 5000 -6000 rounds through it and I’d definitely consider another nitrided action.

No reason not to get the nitrogen version if it’s there to be had. The only pitfalls are if someone does it after the fact and fucks it up creating an eggshell. I wouldn’t worry about it from the manufacturer as they know what they are doing. It might “show wear” but the black finish is just a byproduct, not the goal. The hard finish is still there even when it’s rubbed silvery again.

Its a pretty expensive process, and when baked into the cost if the action like the Nuke mentioned above, its a dang good value given the actions price point.

As spife said above, its a surface hardening treatment, unlike DLC. No dimensional change, and the benefits continue even when the black gets rubbed away.

Defiance uses stainless for their actions and a chromoly bolt. Both were nitrided and shipped from Defiance. No issues at all so far.

There’s no negatives to having steel parts nitrided other than cost.